Thursday, July 13, 2023

How do you decide what to read?

I subscribe to too many news sources and journals - more than I can keep up with.  One of them is a print magazine known as The Deacon (formerly known as Deacon Digest, I believe).  Yes, there is a magazine for every interest group, even deacons.

Everyone around here knows I am a deacon.  I mention it, on average, once every four or five sentences.  The casual reader might conclude that I have an interest in, perhaps even passion for, the diaconate.  And they'd be right.

Based on that knowledge of what makes me tick, you might expect that I would devour every issue of The Deacon from front to back.  But so far, it hasn't worked out that way.

I received an email today promoting content in The Deacon.  I'd genuinely like to know: would any of these teasers motivate you to click through and read the article?  Here they are:

1.  A Future Diaconate: Deacon [author name redacted] writes, “The future diaconate requires careful and creative discernment and pastoral planning in a mission-oriented Church that seeks to go out of itself and proclaim the Gospel.” 

2. Reflections of a Deacon's Daughter: [author's name redacted] recalls the formation and day-to-day life of a deacon and how the whole family supports her dad, Deacon [subject's name redacted].

3. Challenging Aspects of Ministry: We welcome your responses to our next feedback question: What aspect of your diaconal ministry do you find most challenging? We need your feedback (75 words or less) via [email address redacted]. Please include your name and the city and state where you live. Select responses will be in the November/December issue of The Deacon.

4. USCCB Congratulates Two Cardinals-Designate: Rejoicing in Pope Francis’ July 9 announcement of the creation of 21 new cardinals, Archbishop Timothy P. Broglio of Military Services, USA, and president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, offered congratulations to U.S.-born Archbishop Robert F. Prevost, who took the helm at the Dicastery for Bishops in April, and French Archbishop Christophe Pierre, the apostolic nuncio to the United States

5. Pope Appoints Hundreds to Attend the Synod of Bishops on Synodality: Pope Francis has appointed more than 450 participants, including dozens of religious men and women and laypeople from around the world, to attend the first general assembly of the Synod of Bishops on synodality in October.

6.  Around the Diaconate

Deacon [subject's name redacted] of [parish name redacted] in the Diocese of Allentown, Pennsylvania, talks about the diocesan-sponsored bereavement ministry training.

The Fort Worth Report shares how two deacons, [name redacted] and [name redacted], are restoring a beloved Blessed Virgin Mary statue that had been vandalized at [parish name redacted] in Fort Worth, Texas. 

So here are my thoughts and comments:

First of all, I suppose not every magazine article is supposed to appeal to every reader.  Editors and publishers presumably understand that a wide variety of readers reads their publication for different reasons, so they attempt to target certain articles to certain groups of readers/subscribers.  Thus, there certainly are deacons (and priests, and laypersons) who find the doings of the institutional church endlessly fascinating, and would avidly read about an archbishop congratulating two other archbishops on becoming cardinals.  I am not one of those endlessly-fascinated people, despite occupying a small and undistinguished corner of the institution myself.  So that particular article, I probably would give a miss to.  Likewise, the article on planning the future of the diaconate would appeal to a person in a leadership role for the diaconate community: a Vicar of Deacons, or a Director of Diaconal Formation, or some such.  I fear I don't check those boxes, either.

Second, even within the rather smallish universe of deacon couples, all of us are at various stages.  The article about the daughter supporting her father in formation would have been a definite click-through for me some 23 or so years ago, when my wife and I were in formation and we were trying rather desperately to figure out a stable child care situation.  A quarter century later, I confess my interest in the topic has waned considerably, so I would pass on that one, too.

I'd be interested in reading an article on challenging aspects of diaconal ministry.  Goodness knows there are some.  But it turns out this isn't an article; it's a solicitation for us readers to supply our own content.  

I am sorry to say, most of these articles somehow missed my hot buttons, or pleasure centers, or whatever it is that induces me to read an article.  

I've been aware for many years that I am not a typical deacon.  Maybe it's because I'm left-handed, and the polarities of my brain are reversed, or however that works. When I was in formation, we all took the Myers-Briggs personality test.  As I recall, my particular personality type (ENTP, for those of you keeping score at home, although I think it has shifted somewhat over the years) is shared by only 2.4% of people.  I mention this because I don't wish this piece to read as though I'm criticizing the magazine or its content - although I fear it may be impossible to understand it any other way.  I'm sure it is a fine magazine for a lot of readers, and the people who bring it to life work very hard and are doing genuine service for the church.  I hope it finds readers who are enthusiastic about this kind of content, and it helps people in their ministry. 

But for whatever reason, I seem to have fallen through the cracks between those stories.  

I received a renewal notice in the mail yesterday.  I confess I recycled it.  I am sure they will send me others, and I may reconsider.

While I am confessing these sins (if they are sins), I admit I don't subscribe to our diocesan newspaper, either, for similar reasons: the content just doesn't grab me.

How do you decide what to read and what not to read?

22 comments:

  1. Jim, my husband used to subscribe to that magazine. He let his subscription lapse, too. Not enough interest, not enough time. He also is not that interested in the goings on of the institutional church, except as it concerns the local Catholic community. Which is going through the adjustment to becoming a "family of parishes" rather than just St. Anthony's, St. Stanislaus, etc.
    We don't have a print version archdiocesan newspaper now, it's all online, such as it is. We click on stuff that pertains to us.
    Probably the publication that we both read most often now is America Magazine. K. sometimes buys books that interest him, rather than periodicals. Lately he got one on homiletics.
    I do subscribe to the Magnificat magazine, which is a pocket sized publication with the daily Mass readings, and an abbreviated version of morning and evening prayer, plus some devotional readings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, thanks - what you tell me about K. is affirming!

      I haven't seen Magnificat for a while. I'm glad it is still publishing. I've always liked it.

      Delete
  2. BTW, is there such a thing as a typical deacon? If so I haven't met any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a saying about Jesuits: "If you have met one Jesuit, you have met one Jesuit."

      Delete
    2. Jack, that's been my experience of Jesuits, too. The ones I got to know at Loyola seemed to have little or nothing in common except their belonging to the order. That said, they all seemed pretty content to be Jesuits. I suppose a Jesuit must have a certain tolerance for rootlessness, as they are likely (or were in those days) to be sent anywhere on the planet. And at least back then, they lived communally, so they must be able to put up with living in a house with other guys.

      Delete
  3. I think most professional magazines tend to be dull and boring, done by that small group of people that feels some obligation to serve the needs of their fellow professionals. Most of them are conflict avoiders who like to pretend that things are really better than they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, that's interesting. The hi-tech industry publications I used to subscribe to would stir the pot by focusing on controversial topics and larger-than-life personality types. In those days, it was guys like Bill Gates (not that he strikes me as having a larger-than-life personality, but he was very rich, which makes him a topic of obsessive interest). Nowadays, I guess it would be Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg.

      For better or worse, there are no famous deacons. (Are there? Can anyone name any?). There are a few deacons who have demonstrated media savvy, like Deacon Greg Kendra who writes (wrote?) the Deacon's Bench blog. There are some deacons who are theologians and scholars, like Deacon James Keating, and Deacon Fritz Bauerschmidt whom we know from the Pray Tell blog. Perhaps there are some notorious extreme right-wing deacons or notorious progressive lefty deacons, but I'm happy to report I don't know of any.

      Delete
    2. Well, for famous deacons there's always Francis of Assisi and Ephrem the Syrian!

      Delete
  4. Well, I’m not a deacon and I don’t know any personally so I have no idea what magazine content might interest deacons. Your topic list sounds pretty boring, but some deacons might think it’s a great selection of topics.

    Re Myers Briggs. It’s gone out of fashion, according to an article I read a few months ago, replaced by some trendier personality assessments. But it might be interesting to you to take it again and see if it’s changed. I took it again recently after reading an Atlantic article meant to guide people to the “”best” personality test for them. Personality tests to pick a personality test. I decided to stick with Myers Briggs. I first took it about 25 years ago and I was INFP ( about 4% are described as INFP). I think I took it twice more during the 25 years - four times total. All far enough apart in years that I didn’t remember questions. What does interest me is that I was INFP four times during a 25 year period, which I found a bit surprising because I believed I had changed somewhat over those 25 years. Apparently not very much. If you take it again, let us know if it comes out the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Myers Briggs test is probably as good as any of the other personality indicators. I have taken the do it yourself, online versions many times, just for curiosity. I have stayed pretty much in the same neighborhood, with variation in one of the categories. I took one quiz this morning. I ended up INTP-A. The category that varies back and forth is the fourth one, P Or J (judging and perceiving). The hyphenated A is a new one for me. It is either A (assertive, or T (turbulent). I don't think of myself as particularly assertive, but I'm not turbulent, having a lot of mood changes.
      There was one of the units in deacon formation where there was a book with a Myers Briggs test supposedly indicating the areas of service that a person might be well suited for. There didn't seem to be many surprises, most people already knew at least the areas where they weren't suited.

      Delete
    2. The book was The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

      Delete
    3. Out of curiosity, I answered the online questions. Then, to get the results, they wanted my email so I clicked off. I would have been happy if the personality test said I had one.

      Delete
    4. Katherine, I found the new version and took it. INFP-T. And it’s on target. I am very emotional and my mood can change quickly. Rick Warren’s church ( Saddleback) was just booted out of an affiliation with the Southern Baptists by ordaining women to be pastors in the church. ( Good for them!) I suppose that means ministers. They can conduct services and - the big sin - they can preach to the whole congregation. I think with a Catholic/Episcopal mind and a parish has only one pastor even if it has several priests. I read the book many years ago. I remember it was a best seller even in the secular market but I don’t remember anything about the content.

      Delete
    5. Stanley, this site has a free one and you don't have to give your e mail: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

      Delete
    6. I just took Myers Briggs again, and scored as an ENTP-A. (The "-A" either is a newish thing, or I don't recall it from the first time I took it).

      Anyone can take it here. It only takes a few minutes. https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

      When I've taken it a couple of times previously (subsequent to the first time), I think I've landed as ESFJ. Seems I'm strongly "E" (extroverted), and the other axes are more balanced.

      FWIW - when on a long drive a couple of years back, I listened to an in-depth feature on Myers Briggs on NPR's "Science Friday". Seems it was not exactly cooked up with scientific rigor, and despite the valid-sounding results, a lot of scientific types don't consider it to be well-rooted in theory.

      Delete
    7. Jim, that’s what I read in an article in Atlantic. But I’m not convinced that any of them are really very good. Entertaining though. The Atlantic article featured five personality tests that are popular and noted that the M-B test was now looked down on. What interested me was the fact that the Myers Briggs results for me have been so consistent over a long period. However, although I have remembered the four letter results (the subtype is new I think) But I quickly forget what they mean except for the I - as you remember the E. I didn’t need a test to know that!

      Some business types are now big on a test called DISC. “It classifies how we interact in terms of four personality styles: Drive, Influence, Support, and Clarity. Based on the theories of psychologist William Moulton Marston, the DISC assessment is a simple yet powerful way to unlock your strengths and help your team work better together”

      https://onlinedisctests.com/disc-test?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw5MOlBhBTEiwAAJ8e1iR5K81YqRWk6iyzoRXR4uB-s_9brhCdttAA4wNiWDXqUf1dNiV0qRoCMeAQAvD_BwE

      I would be interested in Jack’s opinion of these tests - it seems they could be a tool used in mental health evaluations.

      Delete
    8. Unlike clinical psychologists, we social psychologists are not big on personality tests since data indicates that people’s behavior is far more predictable upon the basis of the situation in which they are placed than any personality traits, etc.

      For example, a person who is a good leader in situation A may turn out to be a poor leader in situation B. Businessmen who are initially successful sometimes turn out to be poor leaders as the company grows in size and meets new challenges. That was behind the Peter Principle, “everyone rises to their own level of incompetence.”

      If you want to change a person’s behavior, simply change the situation. In the leadership development program for persons with severe mental illness we gave them opportunities to demonstrate their leadership skills. One of them said to me: “I thought we were going to learn new skills.” I responded. “Are you now having many opportunities to demonstrate the skills you have? He said sure; it is completely different now. I responded: “That’s why I called it a development program rather than a training program. You just were never given the opportunities to exhibit your talents, and maybe were not even aware of them.”

      The political science Ph.D. that I hired to conduct the program told me that the athletic department always sent him their jocks who thought they couldn’t be anything but jocks. After they worked with others on a project or two to benefit the community, they developed a lot of confidence in their leadership skills. I responded: “That is exactly what I want for people with severe mental illness.” Get them out of the situations in which they and others stereotype them as being unable to do things.

      I've never taken any of the personality texts. I consider them at best to be useless, at worst to be harmful by allowing you or others to pigeon-hole you.

      Delete
    9. Jack of, interesting about differences between social psychologists and clinical psychologists.

      Delete
    10. "of" wasn't supposed to be there.

      Delete
    11. Jack - Get them out of the situations in which they and others stereotype them as being unable to do things

      Agree completely with your approach.

      I never had to take a personality test at work or elsewhere. But lots of businesses require them, even as part of the hiring process. Since I was mostly a freelance consultant, I didn’t have to participate in it or in any of the “ team building” exercises which also seemed to be a waste of time - the opinion most of my colleagues who were regular staff who did have to participate told me. Apparently they are also popular in various Catholic Church environments. Jim had to take one. A friend who worked in parishes and for the diocese was enthusiastic about them and staff at both her parish and diocesan level had to take them. She is the one who mentioned Myers Briggs to me 25 or so years ago and suggested that I take it just for myself. I was entertained by it, but, frankly, I don’t think any of the many personality tests out there are very useful. They are very simplistic and for those with even minimal self- awareness, don’t reveal much. I wasn’t surprised by my MB results 25 years ago. I am a bit surprised by the consistency over the years however.

      Delete
    12. Jack, that's all very interesting (and possibly a ringing confirmation for the prevalence of situational ethics!).

      I find my Myers Briggs score mildly interesting, as possibly giving some sort of insight into me.

      FYI - in the diaconate formation setting, couples took the test, and then we compared our scores. In a relationship context, it spawned lots of discussion. My wife's score perfectly complemented mine: I'm E, she's I; I'm N (intuitive), she's S (sensory) and so on.

      Myers Briggs may be the equivalent of an overly complex horoscope. But it did get spouses talking to each other, which (usually!) is a good thing.

      Delete
    13. "interesting about differences between social psychologists and clinical psychologists"

      One writer attributed the difference to the fact that most social psychologists do their research on college students who are very malleable to their social environments and clinicians work mainly with people who usually don't fit well into their environments.

      "possibly a ringing confirmation for the prevalence of situational ethics!"

      I see it more as don't judge another person until you have walked in their shoes, e.g., listened to them narrate their own story.

      What is probably most true about the approach of social psychologists is that we understand that people often overestimate the importance of personal variables, not only personality traits but also a person's beliefs, values, and attitudes as determinates of someone's behavior.

      We see people as actors determining their behavior when we should be looking at their environment. If a person is successful, it is because of their personal traits, etc. rather than because of their environment. Of if they are failures, it is because of their personal traits, etc. rather than their environments. We just do not pay attention to environments that much.

      While we are motivated by a desire for consistency, there is a lot of evidence that we often act differently than are stated beliefs, values, and attitudes.

      Delete