Thursday, October 28, 2021

Living with Covid

 From the NYT opinion column By Katherine Eban, an investigative journalist; a contributing editor at Vanity Fair, where she covers Covid-19; and the author of “Bottle of Lies: The Inside Story of the Generic Drug Boom.”

How Will We Live if Covid Is Here to Stay?

Even as cases decline again and vaccination numbers rise, a once-unthinkable idea is breaking through any assumptions that we would vanquish Covid-19. Dr. Anthony Fauci laid it on the line at a White House press briefing this month: “It is going to be very difficult — at least in the foreseeable future and maybe ever — to truly eliminate this highly transmissible virus.”

That SARS-CoV-2 could be with us forever is a dark thought. But pulling that mental lever may be just what we need to organize effectively for the very long haul, dramatically improve our pandemic response and embed safeguards into our everyday lives. 

Rather than debate how to end the pandemic, we need to debate how to live with it. “We have to start thinking, planning and coming to grips in every way that this is now a human endemic infection and it’s never going to go away,” said Dr. Farrar.

From his unique vantage point, Dr. Mokdad can literally map how our desire to prematurely claim victory, rather than accept the virus’s continuance, has led us to throw off restrictions, with deadly effect. He just revised his projected body count for the United States upward, to at least 828,000 total pandemic deaths by Feb. 1, 2022. Masks, which so many Americans abandoned when it seemed the end of the pandemic was in sight, could still make a difference: If 95 percent of Americans wore a mask, his model projects roughly 56,000 fewer deaths by Feb. 1.

In the more distant future, Dr. Mokdad does not see “independence from a deadly virus,” to quote our president. “We would expect that the transmission will never go to zero,” Dr. Mokdad told me. “The virus is going to be with us for a long time” — meaning that deaths, and efforts to prevent them, could continue for years.

Serious people are now trying to plan for what living with SARS-CoV-2 will look like, a potentially bleak exercise but one also brimming with scientific promise.

An escape variant — one so infectious that it escapes our best mRNA vaccine defenses — is not a certainty, said the experts with whom I spoke. But it is not far-fetched, either, in part because of our slow pace at vaccinating the world. That worst-case scenario could “change the whole landscape,” said Dr. Eric Topol, a professor of molecular medicine at Scripps Research, putting us “back to square one, with masks and distancing our only defense.” But it can be avoided, he and others said.

In years to come, perhaps we could have the ultimate moonshot coronavirus vaccine, one that blocks transmission of all coronaviruses (a massive challenge because of their genetic differences).

The vaccine could be a single dose stored at a modest temperature, be “cheap as chips,” said Dr. Farrar, and be available to everyone in the world. We could have unlimited oxygen and protective gear in every hospital. With the right investment, says Dr. Farrar, we could even roll out a whole new time frame: release a genomic sequence on Day 1 of identifying it, develop a responsive vaccine within seven days and begin shots in arms within a month.

On Sept. 3, the Biden administration released a pandemic preparedness plan that, though somewhat less aggressive, calls for slashing the timeline for creating and scaling up a vaccine from under a year to under 100 days.

As we come to terms with Covid forever, what might our daily lives look like? Will all-day masking in schools and offices continue indefinitely? Will we have to pare back our holiday party guest lists for years to come? Will home testing before any social gathering become de rigueur? Will vending machines in every subway station carry cheap KN95 masks?

But others, including Dr. Mokdad, envision flulike seasonal surges of Covid-19, accompanied in some years by heavy death tolls. Those could lead us to mask up seasonally, get an annual vaccine as we head into the winter months and make ongoing improvements to ventilation in critical public spaces like transportation hubs.

In that scenario, our lives would not return to a prepandemic normal. Instead, the biggest shift in our new normal could be a growing societal embrace of protective measures, rather than a continued war over school mask wearing or workplace vaccine mandates. “People are not stupid,” said Dr. Jeffrey Duchin, the chief of the communicable disease, epidemiology and immunization section for public health in Seattle and King County. “They will come around to accept reality.” To him, the clashes over seatbelt wearing, and its ultimate acceptance, offer a useful comparison.



27 comments:

  1. Living with Covid will likely be very different for different people.

    As long as the elderly are more vulnerable for hospitalization and death, any time there is a new variant and especially if there is an escape variant the elderly (and those who care for them) will have to live differently.

    If the virus stays around at some level, immunocompromised people (like Betty) and those who care for them (like me) will have to live life differently.

    My reading of our experience so far is that while we initially began with the the ideal that we should eliminate the virus and protect everyone, the economic impact of lockdown has led us to accept a large number of hospitalizations and deaths as the price for continuing business as usual. In others words the vulnerable and the immunocompromised have to fend for themselves with whatever help they can get from friends and family who are willing to live much like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good doctor said "people are not stupid". Maybe not naturally, but, if they work hard enough at it, they can be very stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I got my third Moderna shot yesterday at 3PM, a half dose as prescribed. As with my second shot, I was fine al yesterday. Today, I have low fever. I always figure my day after the shot is lost to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stanley, did you get a fever after the first two doses?

      Delete
    2. Anne, nothing after the first dose except a sore arm. The second made me feel ill, pretty much the same as this last third one. And a very sore arm.

      Delete
    3. We got our Moderna booster yesterday too. So far just a sore arm and a little tired. I went to work today with no problems. Basically no worse than a flu shot. It was at the regional health district clinic. None of the pharmacies I called were doing the Moderna booster. The nurses there said they thought next year they would be giving combination flu and covid boosters. So it looks like the healthcare people pretty much think it is already endemic.

      Delete
    4. I got my Moderna booster today. I’m fine. Will see how tomorrow is. With my second shot I was very tired the day after and slept a lot. Mild arm soreness with first two. So far nothing but it’s only been a few hours.

      Delete
    5. I think the mRNA work in two phases. Phase I: the RNA strands trick the body into producing pieces of the virus. When the body is filled up with this junk, the immune system kicks in. Anne and Katherine, glad to hear you're doing well so far. Hope it stays that way. Funny how we all got our shots at the same time. Great minds think alike.

      Delete
    6. I got Moderna originally. Which is better: a Moderna booster or a Pfizer booster?

      Delete
    7. Early advice was to get the same kind you had before. But now they say you can mix and match. We preferred the Moderna because we felt it offered better protection.

      Delete
  4. It is weird to think back on early 2020 when we were basically locked down. Back then we only had a few cases in town. One family in our parish had it. I kind of thought of it like that scene in the movie Ten Commandments where the green fog of pestilence wafted through the streets. I didn't actually personally know anyone who had it.
    Contrast that with now. Everyone has family members who have been sick. All three of my granddaughters have had it during the last two weeks, as well as my sister and daughter-in-law. The adults were breakthrough cases. But the children had not been vaccinated yet. The thirteen year old was quite ill, had to have steroids, antibiotics, and nebulizer treatment. The younger girls are seven and nine, but only had mild cases. The adults' breakthrough cases were miserable, but they didn't have to go to the hospital. I don't know anyone who had the Moderna who had a breakthrough case. But those who had the J and J or Pfizer weren't as lucky.
    Everyone was paranoid early on, but now we are getting sort of blase. I guess they have learned a lot about treating it and have some tools that they hadn't had before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one friend who contracted a Moderna breakthrough. Sick for three days or so and not violently.

      Delete
  5. I've just about reached my limit with masks. So tired of wearing them. I think my wife feels the same. But apparently we've held on longer than many adults who seem to have given up on them completely.

    Is is still true that they're more to protect others, more so than ourselves? That helps motivate me to keep wearing them.

    My take is that people have become comfortable with the risks of COVID. That comfort may not equate to prudence. The vaccinated people are thinking, "I'm vaccinated - I probably won't get it." The unvaccinated are thinking, "Haven't gotten it yet - why should today be the day?" Or possibly, "Had it already, I probably have antibodies now." People are good at talking themselves into risky or imprudent behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pick and choose where I wear masks. Such as, daily Mass yesterday evening. Normally there is plenty of social distancing space. But turned out last night was the CCD families Mass. Kind of a full church (for Wednesday) and I heard some juicy coughs. I quickly got a mask out of my purse. Only one other person had a mask.

      Delete
  6. The NYTIMES has data on breakthrough cases today.

    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/10/28/us/covid-breakthrough-cases.html?referringSource=articleShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting data, Anne. And I don't think it's behind a pay wall. Had a discussion with a coworker today. He was saying there are people who have died from covid even though vaccinated, so what's the point of vaccination? I said that people can die in a car wreck even if they are wearing a seat belt. But seat belts and air bags are still your best hope of surviving a crash.

      Delete
    2. Katherine - great analogy!

      FWIW - from a very young age, my parents trained my siblings and me to buckle up when we got into the car. (*Very* young - child safety seats were extremely optional in those days!) It got to be a second-nature habit: one gets into the car, one buckles one's seat belts.

      But of course as I moved from elementary school to middle school to high school, I became aware that seat belt wearing was far from universal.

      By the time I made it to high school, I was getting razzed. One classmate referred to me, rather disparagingly, as a "seat belt man". I'm still psychologically scarred!

      Delete
    3. I spent years cramming physics into my brain. I just had to imagine my head going through a windshield and erasing all that work. The heck with that. I wore seatbelts from the get go.

      Delete
    4. My son and his family spent the summer in Spain, working virtually. Mask compliance was universal indoors but was not required outdoors. No protests’, no problems. When going home to California they did a two day stopover in Florida to see family. My daughter in law was harassed because their 7 year old was wearing a mask, and she was told that they were causing psychological trauma that would scar him for life. Unreal.

      All of our grandchildren live in California and the blue area of Colorado. Kids don’t fuss about masks because it’s completely accepted by the adults in their communities. The members of the school boards and teachers aren’t being threatened because of mask requirements. Even the preschool grandchildren sometimes remind their parents not to forget their masks when they are going to nursery school or daycare.

      Indoor mask requirements were dropped yesterday in our county but I am keeping mine handy. We received a new supply of KN95s to take us through the winter, and several airplane trips.

      I have read in multiple sources that these protests against both mask requirements and teaching the history of America without airbrushing out the less glorious facts, are being organized and funded by right wing wealth. According to my personal research, what the conservatives are calling critical race theory is really only truthful history. CRT is an academic curriculum that is not taught below the university level, and has been around for decades. But the right wing excels at twisting the truth and have co- opted the CRT désignation to inflame the culture wars. It works.

      https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-this-summers-blitz-on-school-board-public-meetings-recalls-the-early-days-of-the-tea-party-movement-01631139130

      Delete
    5. Anne, I'm sorry your family got hassled in Florida about their child's mask wearing. Seems like the rule should be that we don't interfere with other peoples parenting decisions (unless we see abuse, that would be different). Here it's pretty much live and let live. It's a red state but I've never seen anyone get harassed for wearing a mask or not wearing one.

      Delete
    6. I know of other incidents of people in Florida harassing mask wearers - people I know were harassed in a restaurant because they were wearing masks when they came in the door. The woman who harassed my daughter in law essentially said that making children wear masks IS child abuse. Glad you haven’t experienced it in Nebraska. I not only know the people who were harassed in Florida in these two incidents, I have read about other similar incidents there. We vacationed in Florida for many years. Not sure we’ll ever go back, even after Covid. As careful as Tom Blackburn was, someone infected him somewhere in Florida. Someone not wearing a mask. The self- centered attitude of too many Floridians makes me not want to go there again, or spend our vacation money there.

      Delete
  7. Booster update - very short- lived, mild soreness in the arm last night. Gone today. That’s it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had about two hours of 101°F fever and loss of appetite yesterday. Then it went away quickly. Feeling a little washed out today but it's over. Glad you had no side effects.

      Delete
    2. Stanley, the side effects are actually a good sign. Glad you are feeling better.

      Delete
    3. Today I was just bone-numbingly fatigued. It must have been the shot catching up with me. Was hard to concentrate on work.

      Delete
    4. They gave me my triple-tap card. I scanned it in and printed out an 8x10 sheet. I've found that people who have to check vaccination status like the big magnified version after hours of squinting at the regular cards.

      Delete