Thursday, October 28, 2021

A young witness to faith in Mary

Presumably together with thousands of other alumni, I receive a newsletter from my Catholic high school alma mater a few times each year.  This article by a current student caught my attention.  I hope she doesn't mind my pasting her brief reflection here.  

Personally, I find it heartening to encounter such vibrant Catholic faith, so earnestly stated.  I don't detect even a trace of cynicism or world-weariness or pandering to the regnant anti-religious culture.  

Here it is:

The Blessed Virgin Mary, who brought our Lord into the flesh, plays a very important role in the lives of Catholics. As our spiritual mother, Mary is a figure in our lives who protects and nurtures us just as our own mothers would. It is Mary who we can send our sorrows, worries, joys, pains, and happiness to and she will receive them with open arms. Mary’s intercession is something that should be prayed for daily, for it is a powerful gift that performs miracles and strengthens our prayers. All throughout salvation history, the miracles and apparitions of the Blessed Mother have transformed lives and saved many from the fires of hell. Praying to Mary and asking for her grace and guidance is crucial in our lives as Catholics. The Blessed Mother is the perfect role model of holiness and faith for all, especially women. It is so important to remember that Mary’s influence in our lives is necessary for complete formation as believers in Christ. Believing in Christ also means believing in His divine Mother, our Mother, the Mother of the Church. In my own life, the Blessed Virgin Mary strengthens me every day to live in the image of her Son. Her protection and faithfulness will never fail us, for she loves us in incomprehensible ways.

5 comments:

  1. That is indeed an inspiring witness by the young lady.
    I guess my Marian faith has always been a bit "arm's length", though I do believe all of the church's teachings about Mary. Note that I didn't say that I believe all the multitude of private revelations about her, which we are not obliged to believe.
    I think part of my hesitation has to do with loyalty to my own mom, I have never felt that I needed a substitute. But I know quite a few people who didn't have great relationships with their mothers; some of them had downright awful or abusive relationships. Some lost their mothers to death way too early. So lately I have started praying to Mary for those people, commending them to her care. My mom always said that she came to Mary through Jesus. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree, that is how I have to do it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine- I've never been fully immersed in Marian spirituality, either. This young woman wrote many things about Mary that I couldn't have witnessed to.

      Delete
  2. ‘Whatever its historical origins may be, today the (Saturday) memorial (of the Blessed Virgin Mary) rightly emphasizes certain values to which contemporary spirituality is more sensitive. It is a remembrance of the maternal example and discipleship of the Blessed Virgin Mary who, strengthened by faith and hope, on that “great Saturday” on which Our Lord lay in the tomb, was the only one of the disciples to hold vigil in expectation of the Lord’s resurrection. It is a prelude and introduction to the celebration of Sunday, the weekly memorial of the Resurrection of Christ. It is a sign that the Virgin Mary is continuously present and operative in the life of the Church.’
    Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy (2001), §188 as posted on the Universalis LOH website.

    In his homilies on Marian feasts the local Orthodox pastor, who is speaking to many converts both from Catholic and Evangelical backgrounds emphasizes "the maternal example and discipleship" aspects of Mary. In the East she is the "Theotokos" i.e. the "God-bearer." As such she is both mother of Jesus and of Christ, i.e. the Church, and the first disciple and model of discipleship. We are all called to be "God-bearers" who bring others to the waters of baptism.

    He does not emphasize her virginity which tends to make her different from us. Of course he is not celibate himself, and has no person reason to promote vocations to celibacy, i.e. monasticism, or see it as a sign of a superior vocation in the Church. The Orthodox Church has not made a great deal either of the Immaculate Conception nor the Assumption which make her different from us.

    Mary has a great place in all Byzantine liturgies even more than we have. Father Taft once remarked that popular piety has been integrated into Eastern liturgy rather than being a separate popular devotions as in the West.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, thanks. I "discovered" that Saturdays during Ordinary Time are Marian days only when I started praying the liturgy of the hours. So I really appreciate that passage you quoted - it gave me deeper insight into the spirituality of Saturdays.

      Delete
  3. Mother of Jesus ... yes. Mother of God, i.e, the Trinity ...no

    ReplyDelete