Saturday, September 25, 2021

End of Present Surge by January

 Back on May 18th I predicted that the regular 2% decline per day in new Covid cases would not continue and concluded it could stagnate at some point during the Summer. 

Will the Current USA Pandemic Incidence Continue to Decline?

It did exactly that by mid June. However I had not taken into account a surge from the Delta variant.  Then on July 19th on the basis of the upswing of cases I predicted that we would  have another spike, possibility as bad as the Winter surge by Labor Day.

PANDEMIC PROJECTIONS: OLD AND NEW

The surge was not quite as bad as I had initially thought possible. People did change their behavior as cases began to skyrocket in August.

It seems that this surge peeked around Labor Day and has begun another descent. However right now it is close to it's old 2% per day decline.

INITIAL PROJECTION FOR DECLINE OF NEW CASES

We Could be Back To Our Summer Low Point Around Late January


 

 

ACTUAL

PROJECTED

SEPT SAT

4

180293

180293

SUN

5

140962

176687

MON

6

127329

173153

TUE

7

142382

169690

WED

8

143802

166296

THR

9

140329

162970

FRI

10

158752

159711

SAT

11

163670

156517

SUN

12

157152

153386

MON

13

150519

150319

TUE

14

146443

147312

WED

15

146385

144366

THR

16

142797

141479

FRI

17

158053

138649

SAT

18

163558

135876

SUN

19

126535

133159

MON

20

134605

130495

TUE

21

127882

127886

WED

22

126342

125328

THR

23

119787

122821

FRI

24

131455

120365

Oct   FRI

1

104492

FRI

15

78749

NOV MON

1

55859

THR

25

34397

 DEC  SAT

25

18763

JAN TUE

25

10030


Some scientists have suggested that going back to school, college and secondary, might  increase cases in September. That does not seem to have happened. Others suggested that the center of new cases would move North as the weather cools. Southerners spend more time outside, Northerners spend more time inside. That seems to have happened, but the overall cases are still declining.

Others have suggested that we will have a surge again over the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons. I think that at least a pause if not another surge may happen.  By Thanksgiving and Christmas we will probably be at rates that will make everyone optimistic that this is going away just as we were in May. And of course that means a lot of bad decisions  about masking, social distancing, and travel during the Holidays. 

So while we could be down to our Summer low (around 10000 cases per day) by late January, I think that will likely be delayed until February or March. 

My criteria for returning to church remains zero new cases in my county for a month. We did get down to single digits per day during the last low period.  I suspect that will not happen until late Spring or Summer.  Of course we could have another variant that will throw all these calculations off by producing another surge.

8 comments:

  1. I saw one article that seems to think that COVID may have played out its main variants. That would be nice. Another factor is waning immunity. Looks like my Moderna double tap has a very good persistence but Pfizer and J&J need a booster soon. Here in PA, it looks like the infection rate has leveled off. If COVID finally does abate, it'll be a double triumph for medical science, beating the virus AND the dopes who listen to politicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the Pfizer has been okayed for booster shots. Like you, we had the 2x Moderna. We are in the age group where we theoretically could get the booster. But don't know if it is a problem if the booster doesn't match the type you already had? I don't think it would be a case, in the US at least, of a booster taking a shot away from someone who hadn't had any. They're practically begging the unvaccinated to to get the shots.

      Delete
    2. Yes. I think they're still trying to resolve the "cross-booster" question. I feel confident in my Moderna but if they make boosters available, I'll get one. I think there's enough for everyone.

      Delete
    3. I had the Pfizer, and plan to get the booster. Pfizer put less into their shot than Moderna in hopes of having less side effects. However the data shows the antibodies declining more quickly for Pfizer. I got my second shot more than six months ago.

      Ohio has approved shots for those over 65 plus some others. They say there is plenty of vaccine available. My annual exam is scheduled for October so I am going to see if I can get it then.

      Delete
  2. We got Moderna, with the second shot in February. Right now the experts believe that it's not good to get Pfizer if the original vaccine was moderna. And vice versa, even though only Pfizer is currently approved for boosters. The FDA hasn't yet approved a Moderna booster, but the approval is expected at some point in the fall. I am consoled by the growing evidence that the efficacy of the Moderna vaccine wanes more slowly than that of the others but will get the booster when it is available.


    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Moderna, too. Pure luck of the draw.

    I understand the US controls over a billion doses. We should be sharing a few hundred million (or more) of those with the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I agree that we should be sharing. If it's the Moderna or Pfizer we would also need to share refrigerated storage and possibly personnel to make sure it gets delivered before the expiration date. The Johnson and Johnson would be less complicated to share.

      Delete
  4. My OR nurse friend just tested positive. He got the Moderna last February. So far, he seems to be handling it well but it's no walk in the park. Low fever, headaches, tired. His lungs are a little compromised from a paint exposure several years ago so that's a concern. Just think how bad without the vaccine.
    I'm going to start calling the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers "COVID Mary's".

    ReplyDelete