Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Our one-fewer-car experiment


For the past month, we've been down a car.  So far, it's nearly been working out.

When my wife and I started our married life together in a third floor walk-up apartment in Chicago in the 1980s, we each owned a car: both were Toyota Corollas, a couple of model years apart, but in most respects nearly indistinguishable.  In those first married days, we walked together to and from the neighborhood train station to get to and from our downtown jobs, so we really didn't need two cars, or even one, for work purposes.  But of course cars were useful - well, essential - for groceries and other errands, social life, visiting family, and the thousand and one other things for which American life has been geographically spread out with the expectation that one owns a car. 

Over the course of the next 12-13 years, we bought a house in suburbia and added four children to the tribe.  In order to squeeze more children into the available car space, the Corollas were succeeded over the years by a string of Toyota Camrys and minivans.  

But we departed from the prescribed suburban lifestyle manual when the oldest child got her drivers license: we didn't bestow a car on her.  The same was true for her younger siblings as they hit the drivers-license milestone.  Somewhat to their embarrassment, or at least occasional annoyance, we dropped them off at high school every morning, and then, depending on their schedule, they either rode the school bus, caught a ride home with a friend or, if they had an after-school activity, which was frequent, we picked them up (I was working from home by then).  Through all those years, we remained a two car family.

That changed when my second daughter graduated from college.  We paid for the purchase of a new car for her as a graduation gift, so she could get to her new job.  She continues to live with us for now, so our driveway, for the first time, has had three cars (our one-car garage has been used for storage for years now).  In order to fit the third car, we expanded our driveway from single-width to double-width.  

The understanding is that the third car is hers; the rest of us made do by sharing the customary two family vehicles, which in recent years have been a Camry and a Honda Odyssey.  It hasn't been too difficult: the two younger kids have been away at college, and both my wife and I work from home fulltime, so there have been days when very little driving has been done.

But now the configuration has changed again.  My third child graduated from college this past December, and as a graduation gift, we gave him our Camry.  He moved out with his car in late January, so now the driveway is down to two vehicles again: my daughter's car and our minivan.  My wife and I still work from home, and can go quite a few weekdays without needing to drive anywhere.  My other daughter still lives with us, and she attends school and also works, so she actually drives the minivan much more than my wife and I do.  

So these days, when my daughters are out and about in the two vehicles, there can be long stretches of a weekday (including now, as I write this post) when my wife and I both are home without a car.  I have to say, it induces a little anxiety.  Not that there is anywhere else I need to be.  It's just that I've had a vehicle at my beck and call for so many years that it leaves me feeling just a bit nervous not to have one waiting in the driveway.  

Upon our giving my son our car, my initial thought was: we get to buy a new car!  I know that's a source of stress for many people, but I don't mind it too much, and I like the whole new-car-smell thing.  

But then I heard that pesky Pope Francis whispering in my ear about living simply and not contributing more emissions.  So I talked to my wife about the possibility of our downsizing to be a one-car couple (with an adult child living at home who also drives that one car).  Neither of us (I mean my wife and me, not Francis) thinks we can get by with a single car for ever and ever.   This isn't an urban area where necessities are within walking distance.  But for now we are trying a one-car lifestyle see how it works.  We've made it a month so far.

And it's working - mostly.  Naturally, with the pandemic still in full swing, we drive to fewer places.  For example: if I'm making dinner on a particular evening, and there is an ingredient we don't have in the house, previously I would have hopped in the car and driven to the grocery store and back without giving it a thought.  These days, even if we had cars available, I'd think twice, or even thrice, about going into a public place; we're more likely to try to cook creatively with what we have on hand.  So in a way, the pandemic is forcing a simpler lifestyle on us, and having fewer cars hasn't been as limiting as it might otherwise have been.

The weekends are more of a car problem for us than the weekdays.  My weekend schedule in particular is pretty church-intensive, and I don't have much flexibility: I need to be on time for whatever I'm scheduled for.  Fortunately, the daughter who has her own car has been generous about dropping me off and picking me up, or letting my borrow her car.  She has bailed all of us out a number of times.  But at some point, probably in the near future, she also will move out, and then we would be three residents with a single vehicle.  Depending on whether others return home this summer, the ratio could become even more lopsided.

Another consideration which didn't exist until a few years ago is Uber and other ride-sharing services.  When I suggested to my wife that we could try to get by with one fewer vehicle, I did so knowing full well that I could order an Uber if need be.  I've been using Uber on business travel for several years, and am pretty comfortable with it.  

I've found Uber sufficiently convenient and inexpensive that at one point I did some back-of-the-envelope math to try to figure out whether it would be cheaper to rely on Uber than own a car.  My conclusion was that it's close but Uber probably is just a little bit more expensive.  But that presupposed frequent Uber trips, as in the pre-pandemic, all-the-kids-at-home days.  During this time we've been down a vehicle, I've only needed to use Uber once (well, twice: to get to church, and then to get home again).  If that is a typical month's frequency, then relying on Uber, rather than buying another car, is a no-brainer.  Or it would be, if we weren't in the middle of a pandemic.  Getting into a stranger's car these days, especially one which might have borne 20 or more other passengers that day, is somewhat of an act of courage.  

I don't know how long we'll hold out without buying another car.  We're not heroic.  But we've made it one month so far.  Maybe we can make it through another.

22 comments:

  1. Last fall we had two cars sitting in the driveway that were paid for. But one of us couldn't leave it that way, and we traded one of them. For a nice, pretty, newer model that still had that "new" smell. And then I had some dental problems go south that required several thousand dollars to fix. Bad case of buyers regret about the car ( but I still like driving it). Eventually we'll probably go down to one. During the cold snowy snap the new one didn't get driven, and we did okay. But the independence of two cars is really nice. Just not the payments, taxes and insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the newer car's favor, it is very much more fuel efficient than either of the older cars were, especially in cold weather.

      Delete
    2. If/when we do buy a new vehicle, I would like it to be electric, or a hybrid. I guess they're common now, but it will be a new thing for me.

      Delete
    3. One thing that's a bit disconcerting about this one is that the rpms go way down, below 500, when you are idling at a stoplight. You almost think the motor died, because you can't hear it. But it springs into action when you go forward. Brings back some bad memories of crappy cars from our past which actually did die at every stop light. I don't miss carburetors!

      Delete
  2. I'm one person with two vehicles. After my 2010 Prius died at 167k miles, I started using my mother's 2009 Camry and probably will continue until it has problems. I have a short cab 2012 Toyota truck which helps me in home improvement for myself and friends. Right now, my Camry is on loan to MaryAnn since she totaled her Prius Prime with a bear at night while driving another friend who's car was in repair from hitting a deer. She may use it until the Toyota Cross comes out in the fall. Looks like a good vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a bear hazard in your neighborhood? Yikes!

      Delete
    2. Stanley, I am sorry for the animals, the cars and the owners. Do bear attacks ever happen in your area?

      Btw, my experience as a Toyota owner is that, if properly maintained, they run beautifully for 10-12 years and then sort of die all at once.

      Delete
    3. Lots of black bears in Northeast PA and northern NJ. I have seen them, but rarely. They run away. Never heard of a bear attack hereabouts.
      MaryAnn's bear skedaddled. She never saw it, just airbags deploying and automatic brakes. Deer have a high center of gravity and would have gone over the Prius. The damage was low and extensive telling me it was a bear. Last year, I saw a bear and a deer cross the road like they were buddies.
      Yes. Toyotas are the best. They can go 250k miles. I might go back to AMerican if I buy an electric car.

      Delete
  3. Buying a new car and keeping it for ten years has been my strategy.

    I bought my first one, a Ford Maverick in my last year of graduate school, and kept it for ten years until it began to rust out. Then I bought a Ford Mustang. It was the only time my ten year strategy failed. I got rid of it and buying American cars after six years. My next car was a Honda Accord and I have stayed with Honda products, keeping them for ten years each.

    Currently, I have a 2007 Honda CR-V; according to the plan it should have been replaced a few years ago. However since I retired in 2003 I haven’t been putting many miles on the car with long distant trips. Health problems since 2010 have kept me from driving outside the county. The pandemic has cut down even further on my driving miles.

    Although I live in suburbia, almost everything is within several miles of my home. My only longer trips are to the parish I prefer which is 20 miles away, and the lake shore which is ten miles away.

    I suspect I won’t buy another car. Each time I take it in for maintenance I look at the new Hondas and cannot find any reason for buying one.

    A car has always been just a means of travel, and transporting materials. When I got my first one the Maverick, my mother volunteered to wash it for me.(My cars only get washed when they go into maintenance and washing is part of the deal). She said I was the only young guy that she knew who did not have a lot of pride invested in his car.

    Over my lifespan the strategy has saved me a lot of money. I think my first car was the only car that I financed. The rest I paid cash for. It would have cost me a lot more to buy new cars every five years, especially if I would also have had to finance them for three of those five years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, we have similar philosophies about car ownership, except that we do finance our purchases. But like you, I see them as utilitarian means to get where I need to be.

      That said: I admit to a secret hankering for those heated seats ...

      Delete
  4. Once we kept a car until it was old enough to buy liquor or vote, a '74 Dodge Dart. That was a mistake, but we couldn't afford to trade up at the time. We have gotten mostly American brands. But never ever ever a Ford again, that was the only car that left me stranded by the side of the road a bunch of times or suddenly quit running while going 70 on the interstate. The car from Purgatory. Finally managed to sell it to somebody for parts for $75 when the transmission went out. First car when we got married was a Chevy Malibu and now we have another one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A grammatical question: in the post, I wrote, "Neither of us (I mean my wife and me, not Francis) thinks we can get by with a single car for ever and ever."

    Should it be "thinks" or "think"? I guess "us" makes it a first-person plural, and so it should be "think" ("we think")? What do you thinks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Neither thinks."

      "Neither" in your sentence is a pronoun that refers to you and your wife who are both grammatically singular entities that govern the verb form.

      "Of us" is not the subject of the sentence, just a phrase that clarifies whom "neither" refers to. You can tell it's not the subject because it's in the objective case, not the nominative. You wouldn't say "us thinks." At least I hope not.

      You did ask, though it is Lent and I ought to have refrained from showing off. (Why is it that when someone explains science, we appreciate it, but when someone explains grammar she needs to apologize for her knowledge?)

      Delete
    2. Clarification: "neither" = not you nor your wife, both singular, not you AND your wife, plural, as in "I and my wife think ... "

      Examples:

      Neither my cat not my dog IS housebroken.
      My cat and my dog ARE not housebroken.

      Which reminds me to continue to give it up to God when the local animal shelter notes that "Mabel, a sweet elderly tabby, is housebroke."

      Delete
    3. Jean, if the scientific instruction is in climate change, death threats can ensue. But thanks for the instruction in grammar. I want to talk good.

      Delete
    4. Jean, many thanks. As you've probably figured out, I do grammar strictly by instinct and intuition. I had to think hard the other day to recall the word "preposition", and then wasted some time wondering why they're called that.

      I truly don't know what cases are. I hear people who know about grammar mentioning them, but don't know what they are. Also, when studying Spanish, I recall learning about moods, like the subjunctive mood, but don't remember what they are. Do those pop up in English?

      Delete
    5. Case simply refers to how nouns and pronouns function in a sentence. In English, nouns can be singular or plural. Pronouns show that "I" am doing the action (nominative case), "Me" is receiving the action (objective case), and "My" owns something (genitive case). We used to have another case to indicate that someone was an indirect object ("I gave the money to Jim" in which sentence "Jim" is the indirect object.)

      We also have a variety of verb tenses for things done past, present, and future, and "moods" that indicate things we should do or have done.

      All of this nomenclature is important if you want to study the development of English through the centuries and how languages compare with each other. Or if you a correctness freak (which I am not, but I can tell you the correct answer as a side benefit of having studied linguistics).

      In truth, you can make yourself perfectly understood in a sentence like "I go ride yesterday. I see five cow." You don't need cases, tenses, singular, plural. In fact, you can even change word order, "Ride I yesterday. I five cow see." It's a little more murky, but you can still get the drift.

      Cases and declensions make language more precise, provide emphasis, and even allow us to prevaricate more easily. Hence, the subjunctive.

      The subjunctive is often used with the third person when we don't want to confront something head-on. My dad used this frequently when talking to Raber: "Now, if a fella wanted to have a real nice lawn, he could put sheep manure out there in the spring and fall, and get some of that blue grass seed that's on sale at Home Depot."

      I'm pretty sure you can read the subtext of that message without knowing what the subjunctive or third person are.

      In modern English, we like to improve our vocabularies, and finding just the right word for the job is a point of pride because we have such a big lexicon compared to many other languages.

      Old English, on the other hand, had a much smaller vocabulary, and there was a real art in making up compound words, and making up interesting compound words was the mark of a good poet. You see this in Germanic languages still today. Icelanders are my favorite word inventors, endlessly creative in coming up with new words that convey meaning and attitude. Their word for "computer" (invented in 1964) means "number-prophetess," which explains what the computer did at that time, but also a certain wonderment in its oracular ability to crank out answers to problems. My favorite Icelandic compound is "journey-burden" for "luggage." There's an entire little meditation in two words there on the inconvenience of having to drag stuff around when we go on a trip.

      Delete
  6. I have had the same Toyota Avalon since 2010 (a 2011 model). It now has about 121,000 miles on it (hardly any of them added for almost a year now). I see no reason to trade in/up. Don't know how long I will continue to drive; I am 80 and I tell friends that I will be buried in that car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim P - did you go to Catholic schools?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have rented cars many times in Europe. Gasoline prices are double or triple US gasoline prices. Most people drive small cars - manual shifts, fuel efficient cars. This is not only due to high gasoline prices, it's just practical in cities and towns that were built hundreds of years ago, where streets are very narrow, and there is little room for two wide cars to pass. Parking can be a nightmare. In recent years we have spent most of our time in the country, in small towns. Also built long ago with narrow streets. Suburbanites in cities like London and Paris usually don't drive into the city they take public transportation and trains.

    Around the US we now see almost as many pickup trucks (BIG ones) in our suburbs as normal cars. In Europe we only see pickup trucks in rural areas - driven by people who actually need trucks.

    ReplyDelete