Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Addendum

This goes along with my previous post on the Hagia Sophia. Two engineers in the 6th century AD figured out how to construct a building in an earthquake zone which would be resistant to earthquakes for nearly 1400 years, and which withstood a quake in 1999 which was 7.5 on the Richter Scale. Two of their secrets were building flexibility rather than rigidity into the design, and a special mortar which has rarely if ever been duplicated. If you want to hear how they did it, you can watch this video .

5 comments:

  1. A fascinating documentary, Katherine. Ancient engineering is amazing, given that mathematics had not yet been applied. These architects had experience and instinct, and as with the gothic cathedrals, the ability to make original and innovative changes. It's almost enough to believe they DID get help from extraterrestrials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was amazed at the talents of these men, given that they had no computers or even advanced mathematics and physics. And the building was completed in less than 6 years, with none of the equipment we have today.
      But at the same time I was dismayed at the joining of power and religion that accomplished it. That never ends well.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing stuff. Thanks for that link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have visited Istanbul many times in the last 40 years. The first time was in 1988 and a friend and I discovered a charming small hotel almost adjacent to Hagia Sophia in Sultanhamet. If you ever visit there be sure to book at the Empress Zoe hotel (http://www.hotelswelove.com/empress-zoe/) if you can get in. The rooftop bar has a commanding view looking UP to HS. I haven't been there in years now as the friends I met (one an Armenian Turk and one, an American)have both passed on. I am not eager to return because I know that there have been many changes to Istanbul under the Erodogan dictatorship and I'd rather remember the place as I knew it.

    ReplyDelete