Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Progress Report

It is encouraging to review all the efforts at finding tests, treatments, and vaccines for COVID-19.
Here are two links, with helpful charts, outlining the therapeutic agents, tests, and vaccine candidates which are in the works:  this one from  Visual Capitalist, and another from Biorender.com.
Listed are 41 diagnostic tests, 23 therapeutic agents, and 41 vaccine candidates.

The Biorender article is helpful in laying out what the phases of clinical trials mean:

In preclinical studies, researchers test the efficacy, toxicity, and other chemical information.
In phase I testing, a new therapeutic is given to healthy volunteers to assess its safety.
Once the therapeutic has been deemed safe in healthy individuals, Phase II trials can commence. This is the first test where a drug/vaccine is administered to its target population and is done primarily to determine if the drug will be efficacious at its therapeutic dose.
In Phase III clinical trials, the drug is now assumed to have some positive effect on its target population and more individuals are enrolled. Generally, between 300 - 3,000 individuals are taking part, and more rare, short-term side effects are able to be observed.
The purpose of Phase IV clinical trials (also known as postmarketing surveillance) is to watch for the long-term effects of the drugs on a larger population. The therapeutic at this point can be prescribed to any individual in the target population by their physician.


Among the therapeutic agents being tested are antivirals, such as Remdesivir, anti-inflammatories, and anti-pneumonia and respiratory drugs.

You may have read that the vaccine produced by Moderna, Inc. has reached the stage of early human trials. From an article on the ABC News site:  "An experimental vaccine against the coronavirus showed encouraging results in very early testing, triggering hoped-for immune responses in eight healthy, middle-aged volunteers, its maker announced Monday. Study volunteers given either a low or medium dose of the vaccine by Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Moderna Inc. had antibodies similar to those seen in people who have recovered from COVID-19."


It has been emphasized that nothing is going to be the "magic bullet", that if one effective vaccine is found, work should continue on any of the others which are promising. Because one size doesn't fit all. For instance, a vaccine which uses an attenuated or killed virus isn't going to be appropriate for someone who is immune-compromised.  Fortunately there are several modes of operation among the vaccine candidates.
We shouldn't think of any of this research as being "wasted effort".  We can think back to the space race, and all the scientific progress which resulted from the research, even if it didn't have a direct bearing on space travel.   We are sure to see fruits from the massive outpouring of efforts in medical science to conquer COVID-19, even beyond that which is applicable to this particular virus.

10 comments:

  1. Who needs a vaccine? Some believe that taking hydroxychloroquine with zinc prevents infection. The true believers, besides trump, include my husband's brother and one of my husband's (formerly) closest, lifelong friends.

    The research won't be wasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While hydroxychloroquine may have some use in COVID as an anti-inflammatory, there is no evidence that it could work as a preventive agent. It is used as a treatment for malaria. But malaria is caused by a protozoan parasite, and COVID is a virus.

      Delete
    2. I've got it! Oreo cookies! Somebody told me you can even dunk them in beer. And you can get them at any grocery store unless my earlier Tweet sold them out! We'll see. I have thrown away my mask, and I am going to breathe on anybody I see wearing one. So sad: an unbelievable solution, and nobody believes it but me.

      Delete
    3. Tom, if Oreos inoculate a person, there is absolutely no chance I will ever get COVID-19.

      Delete
  2. All this is good news, and I presume it will help deepen understanding of all types of coronaviruses. Hopefully, when the next pandemic hits, we won't be starting from Square One.

    Yeah, Trump and hydroxychloroquine. Does he have Dr. Nick out there prescribing drugs for him or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I believe Trump actually is taking it. I've gotten to the point I don't believe anything he says.

      Delete
    2. That, Katherine, is the best assumption one can make. Believe nothing he says. He's a BSer right down to his bone spurs.

      Delete
  3. Unrelated, I am the wet blanket this evening. Out church is tentatively going to resume Mass, in a very careful way, on May 30. Which I am okay with. But my choir leader called and wants to do our normal Sunday morning Mass. "We'd stand apart. And everyone would have their own mic. And we'd be in the choir loft." I threw a caution flag, saying, "That might not be such a good idea, have you talked to Father?" Then I texted her an article about the choirs that had an outbreak of the virus. She had honestly not thought about singing spreading germs. Regardless, I'm not going to take part yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hope you will be back to singing soon, Katherine. I know it means a lot to you. Can you start a neighborhood hymn sing?

      Delete
    2. The online Mass that my husband and I watch always has an acapella beginning and ending hymn, and we sing along with that.
      I think there are safe ways of having some music at our parish Masses, probably instrumental at this time. Maybe a single cantor to sing the responsorial psalm from the choir loft (wouldn't be me, I'm not a soloist).

      Delete