Friday, May 1, 2020

A good song

A couple of days ago, I heard this song, "Grateful", sung by Michael Feinstein.  I had been listening to something just as background music, but the song arrested my attention immediately, and has been running on my "inner soundtrack" ever since.  In the spirit of sharing music I like with my friends, I'm sharing it here.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBXL1ueAlY

I read up on it a little bit.  According to Wikipedia, the song's composer, John Bucchino "never had music lessons of any sort. He does not read music, and he taught himself to play the piano by ear."
"He composes at the piano and makes cassette tapes which he gives to friends. For years, those amateur Bucchino tapes have been legendary among insiders in the music business, as singers and song-writers passed them around to each other with words of glowing praise." This was how he came to the attention of both Stephen Sondheim and Stephen Schwartz.
Bucchino seems to be one of those people, and I think their number is large, who has hovered just on the edge of a show business big breakthrough that would lead to fame and wealth.

The piece was written for a short musical theater work, in which this song of gratitude is to be sung by a man dying of AIDS.  I have found that the song is challenging me to try to be thankful even during this time of the pandemic.

If you like the song, I'll be pleased.  But de gustibus non est disputandum.  So if this song isn't to your taste, or isn't speaking to your moment, I'd be grateful if, in the comments, you'd provide a link to a song that is your song for now.

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, that's a beautiful song, and beautiful lyrics. And a good reminder to be thankful for what we have, rather than dwelling on what we are missing out on.
    Another song that came to mind today was this one, In Every Age. It was in the Mass readings of the day, and has been a favorite of our choir group. I have always thought it was comforting, and takes the long view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, many thanks for that link to "In Every Age". I remember when it was first published (or at least was being promoted by its publisher on sampler recordings). She is a talented songwriter (and women composers should be sung more in Catholic churches!) It's a stunning song. I wish we sang it in our choir. But I guess one can't sing everything.

      Delete
  3. It's May Day. So I got up and put this on, and now it is my earbug: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nMpmCHnRjNQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean ... now that I've played it on Youtube, all the social media algorithms will think I'm a Commie :-)

      Delete
  4. Speaking of May Day, here is another ear worm from high school madrigals days, Now Is the Month of Maying.
    Didn't have any May baskets so I left African violets on the doirstep of two of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised at how many people have recorded that. I never heard it before. It's a nice piece of music. To be honest, I have been sustaining on Mendelssohn's symphonies (which I'd always intended to pay serious attention to; and so now I am ODing on #3, the Scottish symphony) and this little ditty, based on The Magnificat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QeTmRCpW4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I think I have Mendelssohn's Scottish Symphony on a vinyl LP in a box full of vinyl LPs which hasn't seen daylight in 25 years. I should look it up on youtube, it used to be a favorite.
      I love your link to the Canticle of the Turning, I had not heard it before. Though I recognize the tune as a variation of Kingsfold.

      Delete
    2. I knew the tune as "The Star of County Down" before this group got it. I like the idea of the subtext to the Magnificat, or between the lines of the canticle. Anyone who can play a whistle can sell me his song.

      As for Mendelssohn, I spent most of my life thinking I ought to give that fellow a fair hearing. But if you look at whose works I bought, it's all Beethoven, Haydn (a late but great enthusiasm), Brahms, Mahler, Wagner and the irresistible Russians. So with open hours for listening to symphonies, I finally got to Felix. And immediately fell for #3.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. David - thank you! I'm going to share it with my wife.

      I've been a fan of Gavin Creel for some time. He seems so versitile.

      Delete