Friday, August 30, 2019

Reunion anecdotes

I mentioned in my previous post that I've been pulled into a portion of the planning activities for my high school class's 40th reunion.  Because it is a Catholic high school, they've decided to have a class mass, to take place at the banquet hall before the hors d'oeuvres appear and the bar opens.  A few of the committee members knew I was a deacon and asked me if I'd like to be a deacon for that mass.  I said I'd be happy to; but a few judicious inquiries on my part revealed that they probably needed help with music for the mass more than they needed a deacon.  So  I said I'd help with that.  I drove over to Rockford last night and we had a rehearsal, after which a group of us went to dinner.  A few reunion-related notes from that experience:

1. The committee thought it would be fun to do church music from our era (we graduated in 1979).  For my class, in that place and time, that means music from the original Glory and Praise paperback hymnals.  The committee conducted a Facebook poll of which songs (all St. Louis Jesuits songs) people remembered and liked.  The winners, most of which we subsequently decided to use, included "Blest Be The Lord", "Dwelling Place", "Be Not Afraid" and "Though the Mountains May Fall.".  I've been doing liturgical music in one way or another since I was in college in the early '80s, and I've played all those songs a million times; but, except for "Be Not Afraid", I don't think I've seen them used at mass since the early '90s.  But I still have the original St. Louis Jesuit collection books with the melody and guitar chords (a critical pianistic skill from that era being the ability to play piano from those lead sheets), and I dug them out of my archives.

And I have to say - playing that music at rehearsal last night was a blast.  Because I haven't heard the songs in a long time, they sounded fresh.  And they're good songs.  They're singable.  They've held up.

There was one song that was popular in the online poll, but which we elected not to use.  Its title is "You Are Near".  The first line is, "Yahweh, I know you are near."  A lot of Catholics loved that song back in the 70s and 80s.  But it isn't sung anymore - not only because St. Louis Jesuit songs have tended to fall into disuse, but because the lyric is problematic.  Specifically, Catholics have become more aware that to pronounce God's proper name is a discourtesy to Jews, at least some of whom object to pronouncing the name that was thought to be so holy that it couldn't be said aloud; the word "Adonai" ("Lord") was substituted whenever the Hebrew scriptures were recited.  So no more "I Lift Up My Soul", nor "You Are Near."

2.  A close friend of mine from high school, whom I hadn't done a good job of keeping in touch with since then, has come out at some point during the ensuing years.  He's married; I don't know whether he will bring his husband to the reunion.  He sang with us at the rehearsal last night (he has an amazing baritone voice), and came to dinner with as afterward.

He was picked on mercilessly in high school.  At least in our era, the students at this Catholic school were not very tolerant of young men who were suspected of being gay.  He was active in the theater, he studied dance, he was sensitive and kind of socially awkward - and I'm sure he struck a lot of my classmates as effeminate.

He's still sensitive, and sort of awkward in some ways (last night, he shared with the table a few anecdotes from our teenage friendship that I would have preferred not to be out there :-)), but he seems comfortable in his own skin, in a way that wasn't the case when we were teens.  He told me last night that he truly didn't realize he was gay when we were in high school.  He figured it out as a young man.  There is a sort of confidence and peace in him that, as I say, is not what I saw from him when we were in school.  I am happy for him.  Did I know he was gay?  I guess I suspected he might be.  But I had figured that, if he was gay, he might not trust me enough to tell me; I can only imagine what it would have taken someone, in that day and in that environment, to confide that to another person.  And at any rate, it seems it wasn't clear to him at that time.

He said a few things last night that illustrate that he's still not completely over the high school tormenting.  I'm not surprised; 10 years ago, he wasn't willing even to make an appearance at the reunion, even though he lives in town.  And in fact, there was at least one guy with us last night who, I am pretty sure, was one of his tormentors.  But that guy has mellowed over the years; life has a way of doing that.  I hope the sharp edges of my friend's hurt have sufficiently worn down that he'll be able to enjoy himself this weekend.

3.  I've mentioned before that pot smoking was pretty widespread among my high school-age cohort, and the conversation last night rolled around to that topic.  Legalized recreational marijuana use in Illinois recently was passed by the state legislature and signed by the governor.  So at dinner last night, I asked, "Let's see, it becomes legal, when, in June?"  Every single other person at the table responded, in unison, "January".  These are all respectable, more-than-middle-aged citizens.  But I take away, from that little incident, and from some other things that were cautiously mentioned in last night's conversation, that interest in the legalization of marijuana is pretty high among my contemporaries.  I think more people will be trying (or re-trying) it than is commonly supposed.  Not me; I have zero interest in being stoned.  I really would prefer that those whose bodies and minds are still developing - like those who were our age when many of us were partaking - are smarter than we were, and leave the stuff alone.  My private little theory is that the sensation of being stoned substitutes for some spiritual need that people have, a need for transformation, that could be addressed in healthier ways.

15 comments:

  1. We still use "You Are Near". We just sing, O Lord, instead of Yahweh.
    Good to hear that your friend who came out is taking part in the reunion, and that he is doing well. I have been so dismayed at the situation in Indianapolis with Brebuef High and Archbishop Thompson. That is pretty much the definition of marginalizing someone. Kind of hard to preach justice when you don't practice it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my dear departed friends went to the Catholic girls high school (aka The Virgin Vault). Her class had regular reunions and, as a tiny school, seemed much closer than my class of 600. I enjoyed meeting them at her funeral. Most stayed in the Church regardless of sexual orientation, divorce, birth control, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The music of the Saint Louis Jesuits is still used in several parishes around here along with a lot of more recent music. The congregation tends to know their music and sing it more readily than most of the recent music.

    As previously reported they are having their final "home coming' concert September 29th. I have been trying to promote without success a local hymn sing of their music. Guess the music people have moved on even though the people still like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The young man who took my place at work when I retired last year is a St. Louis Jesuits fan. He has tickets to their final concert. He plays a twelve string guitar in our choir at church.

      Delete
  4. Liturgy? We went to Mass on Sundaysandholydayzobligation, but we never had "liturgy." If we sang in Engish, it was Holy God, We Praise Thy Name or that oldie, To Jesus' Heart All Burning. But we didn't sing much in any language. My class is mostly dead, but from the newsletter I can't avoid, I see the others gather once a year for golf, drinks and dinner at a country club near Chicago. In those days the only time I got near a country club was the two summers I caddied, and I have made a point of avoiding them since. I did interview Jerry Goodman (the New Yorker's "Adam Smith") at the Doral, where the owner-but-not-mortgage-holder hopes to host the heads of state. It was under previous ownership. It had a strange smell that wasn't money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's the hurricane situation shaping up, Tom? Prayers sent for all those affected!

      Delete
    2. Katherine, keep praying. The folks in the Bahamas are really in for it. Computer models say we are now going to get a "rain event," but we've been having those all summer. If the models hold up, the best chance to get the Great One's attention on climate change will be gone.

      Interesting to see the wise virgins and the foolish virgins as you drive around here today. The wise virgins put up their shutters. The foolish virgins waited. I am going to close a couple of ours overnight in case of surprises, but we will be far from full button-down.

      Delete
    3. Poor Bahamas. My mother and I are cranking out a rosary a night for them and for you and my relatives.

      Delete
  5. "My private little theory is that the sensation of being stoned substitutes for some spiritual need that people have, a need for transformation, that could be addressed in healthier ways."

    Michigan has for several years had medical marijuana, which was widely used as cover for recreational imbibing. I had friends who got their kids medical marijuana cards as soon as they got into high school to avoid their getting busted. This struck me as pretty irresponsible given the indications that marijuana can have some dire effects on adolescents. Why not buy them a Corvair, a bottle of Mad Dog 2020, and a switchblade, too?

    Anyhoo, now we have legalized recreational marijuana, which will eliminate the loophole for minors, though it will be some months before you can go to your local head shop and buy anything OTC.

    Full disclosure, I enjoyed smoking dope in college once in awhile, but it always made me sleepy. The meds I take now make me feel crappy and sleepless. Docs said a hit of recreational marijuana would be OK at bed time. They warned me that what I would be buying is many times stronger than the dime bags full of seeds and stems we used to get in college. It's also a lot more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that, too, about the potency of marijuana these days. As your doctor approved it, and it might help you feel a little better - why not? It wouldn't be recreational use, at any rate.

      I've got a lung issue; I think it would be insane for me to inhale anything except air. I mentioned that to the old classmates at that dinner a few nights ago, and they all promptly pointed out that it can be baked in brownies, and presumably consumed other ways. As I say, though - no thanks; no desire to be high (or drunk; we left the actual reunion event on Saturday at the point in the evening when it became apparent that some of the old class were getting too much into their cups, and apparently they aren't happy drunks. Yecch.)

      Delete
    2. I missed our class' 30 year reunion. Word was that one of our classmates got pretty inebriated and stood up and gave the whole class a big "F you" speech. Kind of glad I missed that. I didn't remember people being mean to her back in the day, what I do remember is a series of family tragedies happening in a short time. Have to think that colored her memories.

      Delete
    3. I mentioned in one of these reunion posts that a high school friend of mine had come out at some point after high school, but that while we were in school, he was suspected of being gay and therefore bullied all the time. It was clear to me this past weekend that he is still processing and dealing with seeing some of these same faces this weekend. It's not easy to let things go. I am pretty sure he would like to, but wanting to and being able to aren't always the same thing.

      I didn't see any signs this weekend that anyone was still in a bullying frame of mind. It's interesting: in some ways, I think people become less "flexible" and more narrow-minded as they age, but on this particular issue of accepting LGBTQs, I think my class is more accepting than they were as teens. Maybe I'm just seeing it through rose-colored glasses.

      Delete
    4. I think you're right that people are more accepting of LGBTQs now. Maybe part of it is that now everyone at least knows someone who is, and many people have family members who are. Back in the old days that was likely true also, but most people just didn't know it. When I was in school, it wasn't talked about. At all. Everything was very closeted, which I'm sure was very lonely for those who were affected. By the time you were in school, sexual orientation was probably a little more open.

      Delete
  6. I took my husband to our VERY small town Wisconsin 55th HS class reunion 6 years ago. A small group of my classmates knew that I am gay, but, in the main, Gregory's presence was a bit of a surprise. The apparently most surprised (at least it seemed so to me) was that woman who was my Sr. Class prom date! However the awkwardness disappeared quickly, primarily because Greg is VERY good with people, including strangers. Our Freshman English teach was there and she came up to me toward the end and told me how lucky I am to have such a husband (her word, too!). I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim - my friend did bring his husband. He was pretty quiet, so I am guessing he is an introvert. I think everyone was welcoming.

      Delete