Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Doobie do?


America is forging ahead with legalizing marijuana.  Is it a good idea?

I graduated from high school in 1979, which at one time was said to be the high school class that partook of marijuana more than any other.  If you're wondering whether, like President Clinton, I ever inhaled, I will simply note that I was a typical high schooler in many ways.  But whatever I did in the late '70s and early '80's, I stopped before graduating from college, and it's been decades since I've smoked anything at all (save a cigar once in a great while, when I'm with my high school buddies).

Of course, when I was in high school and college, marijuana was illegal in all 50 states (and the federal government continues to classify it as an illegal substance).   In those days, being in possession of even a very small amount of it could easily get one arrested.  And some people in my circle were.  These days, it seems one can't get hired without passing a criminal background check; whether an employer is apt to overlook youthful indiscretions and silliness, I don't know, but I'm skeptical.

Even in the 1970s, Americans' attitude toward marijuana was ambivalent; my college years were the dawn of the War on Drugs, but marijuana cultivation in the US apparently has been a multi-billion-dollar business for a number of years.  About 10 percent of American adults use it regularly.  And of course, in recent years, marijuana has progressively become decriminalized.  It is now legal for medical purposes in a majority of states.   Ten states have legalized it for recreational use, and another 13 have decriminalized it.  Some Democratic (and perhaps a few Republican) politicians have latched on to legalizing marijuana as a political issue; the newly elected governor of Illinois, JB Pritzker, is one such.

There are a variety of reasons to support legalizing marijuana: the large number of people that already use it wish to do so without facing criminal penalties; many people support its use for medical reasons; there is a humane attitude (which I share) that it is unjust that so many people have been saddled with criminal records for smoking or possessing a small amount of pot; states covet the tax revenue that can be generated by legalizing and taxing its sale; and not least, there are many entrepreneurs that would like to be able to produce, deliver, market and sell marijuana for profit - a development that presumably would also drive out of business the organized criminal elements that traditionally have been the conduits for illegal marijuana.  In addition, it's widely thought that, from the perspectives of personal and public health, marijuana usage is essentially harmless.

It is into this headwind of ever-broader marijuana acceptance that Malcolm Gladwell in the New Yorker raises complicating questions about the trend.  The chief question is encapsulated in the article's headline, "Is Marijuana as Safe as We Think?"  The answer is a bit disconcerting: there is distressingly little by way of scientific studies to answer that question definitively.  Referencing a National Academy of Medicine report from 2017, Gladwell writes,
For example, smoking pot is widely supposed to diminish the nausea associated with chemotherapy. But, the panel pointed out, “there are no good-quality randomized trials investigating this option.” We have evidence for marijuana as a treatment for pain, but “very little is known about the efficacy, dose, routes of administration, or side effects of commonly used and commercially available cannabis products in the United States.” The caveats continue. Is it good for epilepsy? “Insufficient evidence.” Tourette’s syndrome? Limited evidence. A.L.S., Huntington’s, and Parkinson’s? Insufficient evidence. Irritable-bowel syndrome? Insufficient evidence. Dementia and glaucoma? Probably not. Anxiety? Maybe. Depression? Probably not. 
Then come Chapters 5 through 13, the heart of the report, which concern marijuana’s potential risks. The haze of uncertainty continues. Does the use of cannabis increase the likelihood of fatal car accidents? Yes. By how much? Unclear. Does it affect motivation and cognition? Hard to say, but probably. Does it affect employment prospects? Probably. Will it impair academic achievement? Limited evidence. This goes on for pages.
Gladwell then goes on to note that the FDA would never approve a medicinal drug for use in the United States with the paucity of information available on the usage and effects of marijuana.  He also writes that marijuana users seem to be more prone to violence than non-users, and possibly more likely to exhibit symptoms of schizophrenia - but, again, studies are needed to establish whether there are any actual correlations.  Is marijuana really a so-called "gateway drug" to more harmful and addictive drug abuse?  It would be nice to know.  It seems that, when it comes to public health and public policy, the politics of marijuana are oustripping the science.

Just speaking as someone who has been around the block once or twice: I do not buy into the notion, peddled by advocates for marijuana legalization, that pot has no ill effects.  Certainly, nobody under its influence should operate a motor vehicle.  I don't doubt that there are people who are able to be reasonably responsible humans while maintaining a lifestyle of regular pot consumption - but there are quite a few persons who aren't able to pull that off.  My supposition, based on personal observation, is that being a pothead makes one a worse worker, worse spouse and worse parent.  I don't know what the right public policy is.  I think it's a mistake to criminalize the use of pot, but I have serious misgivings about actively encouraging the development of an industry to deliver pot to consumers.  And I think employers have a right to have strict policies against its usage.

When I was in middle school in the mid 1970s, there were classmates of mine who were smoking pot (and cigarettes, and drinking).  I started sampling that stuff at some point in my high school career.  I contributed my share to the problem of collegiate binge drinking throughout college.  Looking back on that behavior, I chalk it up to one part immaturity, one part personal weakness, two parts social awkwardness, and two parts having a darker side to my personality that had hitherto remained submerged, and which I understood only very poorly then.  Now that I am watching my own children trying to make it through those same developmental years, I'm newly appreciating what a complete and utter idiot I was when I was a youngster, to risk my fragile native gifts, such as they were, on whatever pleasure and supposed social cachet derived from substance abuse.  I'm grateful that I managed to put that behavior behind me.  I have zero interest now over-consuming any behavior-altering substance. (By contrast, it seems a number of acquaintances of my generation who never indulged in that behavior during adolescence and young adulthood, now harbor a curiosity about marijuana.  I hope they tread carefully.)

I'm sharing this slice of my personal history to shed light on my skepticism about marijuana as a political issue.  The prime target audience for that issue isn't people my age; it's the 18-25 year old voters.  I would much rather that kids and young adults in those age groups not expose themselves to the risks (poorly understood as they are) of marijuana usage.  I know what it feels like to be stoned.  It's pleasurable (or was when I was younger).  Taken recreationally, it's a form of self-indulgence.  Perhaps, in moderation, that's okay.  But I can't help but reflect that "go ahead and get high - it's legal!" is quite a different message to our youth than, say, "Ask not what your country can do for you ...". 

Marijuana is a behavior-altering substance.  By all means, let's stop throwing people in jail for having a joint in their pocket.  But let's also not encourage its consumption with our public policies, at least until we know a good deal more about it than we do now.
 

15 comments:

  1. Jim, I graduated from high school ten years prior to you, in 1969. Pot was around then, too. I've never smoked marijuana, or anything else. I took a drag on a Kools Filter cigarette that we were lighting firecrackers with one 4th of July, and after I finished sputtering and choking I concluded that my body was trying to tell me something. I agree with you that we shouldn't encourage recreational marijuana use with public policy until we know more about the long term effects.
    However, medical marijuana is another story. Many parents of children who have epilepsy which doesn't respond to conventional therapy swear that marijuana oil helps their children lead a more normal life. From what I have read this is oil from which the hallucinogenic agent has been removed. And as far as cancer patients undergoing chemo, I have seen the suffering of enough people going through this that I feel they should be able to access anything that gives them relief. Even if it only makes them too stoned to care. There has also been promising research on non-opioid pain medication derived from marijuana.
    The article you quote cites "insufficient evidence" for medical use of marijuana. To me the medical community has slow-walked research due to social prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kools? The amazing Ron Hurta, who gave every impression of one on the verge of being asked by the dean to go find a job and stop posing as a student, used to carry Kools and offer them to anyone who tried to bum a (real) cigarette. To everybody's astonishment, Ron graduated magna cum laude.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, well, being a drunk makes you a worse worker, parent, and spouse, too. I know lifelong potheads whose short-term memories are shot. And I certainly had enough "paranoid attacks" during my toking days to know that dope is unpredictable.

    However, I think the national treasure being expended on pot punishing is idiotic. Let people grow it or buy it legally and shut down the cartels. Free up cops to go chase miscreants.

    Some people in my cancer group are avid pot smokers or imbibers of CBD oil (which does not contain THC). They say it reduces anxiety. A few claim that it improved their blood counts "for awhile," wholly ignoring the fact that our blood counts do improve "for awhile" on their own, a feature of an "indolent" cancer.

    All of us with blood cancers suffer from fatigue, and we really have to force ourselves to move around. I can't think of a drug more likely to turn you into a Cheetohs-eating couch potato than marijuana.

    Clear-headed debate is clouded by people who are suspicious of anything that is fun and not in keeping with their idea of Upstanding Americanism, and those who think cannabinoids are some type of panacea because they're "natural," man, and isn't chemo. (These are the same people who are grinding up fresh turmeric to lower platelet counts ... and getting internal bleeds because the turmeric and aspirin therapy don't mix well.)

    And, when you really press for the source of info, it's usually personal anecdote or comes from some grower who reads High Times and has a financial interest in making pot look great.

    That said, those of us on the chemo pills cannot drink alcohol, all of us feel easily stressed out, and the chemo does make some of us sick and nauseated. So if having a bedtime brownie makes people feel better, I am not going to judge them. And I might join them at some point. The Boy says he can get me an ounce whenever I want. Awww. I don't feel the need right now, but I am glad Michigan cops are not going to put me in jail for it.

    For those interested in actual facts, this guy is a doctor and pretty good at laying out what is actually known from the limited studies on marijuana available. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yewlM8CtbQU

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've fleshed out the original post with a couple of additional paragraphs toward the end, sharing some more of my personal history and views on this topic. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you say sounds sensible to me.

      We found a baggie in The Boy's room when he was 16 and confiscated it. Made it clear we expected no dope in our house as long as he was a minor and it was illegal. Discussed how giving it to his friends could cause them harm or get them in trouble at school/home/with cops.

      Appealing to responsibility and his not hurting others seemed to make more of an impression than metaphors about your brain and fried eggs.

      Delete
  4. A few months ago I was in my car, mulling the possibility of pot legalization in Florida. As I pulled into a turn lane, I noticed the pickup ahead of me had a barbecue grill standing up in back unsecured by anything at all. So I left plenty of distance. I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed that the driver behind me was studying something below dashboard level while his car rolled slowly forward. Until he hit me, looked up and signalled all kinds of apology. The pickup got around the corner without bouncing the grill into me, and I said to myself: If this is driving in Florida when nobody, theoretically, is on pot, what's it going to be like when everybody is blissed out?

    I have no problem with personal use of pot, provided it comes with a big, fat warning, like some drugs have, not to try to drive or use heavy equipment after taking it. And it would be really nice if the warning were enforced, but how often will that happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that the cops don't have anything like a breathalyzer to detect dope use, it would be fine by me if they were allowed to arrest people for smoking anything in a car. They can also arrest them for cell phone use, drinking coffee, and eating sandwiches, all of which I see people doing frequwntly, often all at the same time.

      Delete
    2. I would think that some of the old roadside tests may work: recite the alphabet backward, or walk a straight line without veering or stumbling.

      Or, for a marijuana-specific roadside test: see if you can eat a pan of brownies in one sitting.

      Delete
  5. I like my moderate drinking and occasionally drank to intoxication in my twenties and thirties. Trying alcohol was a roll of the dice but, luckily, it proved non-addictive to me. I never introduced anyone to alcohol because you just don't know. I don't think marijuana is addictive but one can become dependent, I'm sure. I've always considered it hippy crap and I was never a fan of the hippies. But decriminalization, even full legalization, sure. I just hope we don't get corporations pushing it for profit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stanley - we already have the corporations - they're already getting themselves established in the states where pot is legal. Give that market enough time and it will mature the way all markets mature, i.e. into an oligopoly with a handful of multistate (and then international?) suppliers.

      Delete
    2. When the U.S. Cannabis Corps launch their international divisions, they will find the Mighty Dutch ready to eat their lunch. Unless POTUS slaps tariffs on Amstel, gin and Edam.

      Delete
    3. On the other hand, one of the U.S. producers is already emailing me that my order is ready to be sent in a plain wrapper. Legal, shmeagle; what's the Internet for?

      Delete
    4. Tom, that is really funny. Do you have to meet him in the parking lot behind the Quik E Mart at 2 am, and use the code word "Piscataway"?

      Delete
    5. All he wants is my Amex number. Isn't anyone else getting weed-by-mail spam? Must be something about my computer.

      Delete
    6. Someone keeps threatening to send me my FREE TRIAL bottle of CBD oil. My brother's wife is heavily into alternative therapies. I think she put me on a list.

      Delete