Monday, December 24, 2018

Merry Christmas to the NewGathering community

Christmas began early for me this year - I served as a deacon at our parish's 3 pm Vigil mass.  It's the so-called "children's mass" - the children's choir sang, and the priest called the children up during the homily to sit on the sanctuary steps; he then engaged them in the homily.  As it is every year, it was by far the most crowded mass of the year for us - there were easily three times the number of worshipers that we would get at our most well-attended Sunday mass.  We had two overflow rooms set up with closed circuit televisions and probably could have used more space.

In past years, before the archdiocese put its foot down on the practice, we would schedule Christmas masses at 1 pm and at 3 pm on Christmas Eve, and both would be very well-attended.  I think 3 pm is the earliest we're permitted to have a Christmas mass now.  It's a shame; I'd rather bend a liturgical best practice to meet people where they are, and it's pretty clear that where at lot of them are is, they don't want to go (or find it difficult to make it) to church on Christmas but are willing to do so on Christmas Eve. 

Who are all these additional people who showed up this afternoon?  It was a different demographic than our usual Sunday crowd.  Our typical congregation skews older.  Today, besides all the children with young parents, there were a lot of high school and college age kids, and also young adults.  Here are my completely-unsupported-by-evidence takes on this:

  • There are quite a few people with attachments to the parish who come irregularly or seldom throughout the year but make a point of coming on Christmas.  A lot of people, especially my generation and older, still associate Christmas with the family going to church
  • The high school kids frequently don't come throughout the year because they don't want to, and parents decide it's not a battle they want to fight.  (I probably should try harder not to be judgmental about that; I think it's a battle committing some resources to).  But the parents decide that, on Christmas, it's a battle worth fighting
  • The college kids are away throughout most of the year; when they're home, their parents are likely to let college kids figure out the attending-church stuff for themselves; and college kids, being more mature, are more likely than their high-school-age siblings to embrace family obligations like going to mass with the family on Christmas
  • Some of the young adults don't live in this area but are visiting grandpa and grandma, who are parishioners, for the holidays.  Besides, it's an excuse to show off their very young kids in their Christmas church finery.
  • Some of the young adults do live in this area and decide to cross our threshold for Christmas.  We're glad to have them
Why are they more willing to go to Christmas Eve mass than mass on Christmas day?  Having talked to quite a few parishioners this afternoon, I think it's mostly logistics.  Their family obligations are exhausting.  The younger ones try to see both sets of in-laws.  The older ones try to see as many of the kids and grandkids as they're able.  Most of the people I spoke with today were going to one family gathering this evening, and another on Christmas day (or were hosting one or the other, or even both).

There is a midnight mass, which I don't stay up for, and a couple more masses in the morning - I'm scheduled to play the piano at the late-morning mass tomorrow.  After that, it's a matter of cooking like a crazy person for our Christmas dinner.  And then my folks will be over this weekend, so we're not off the hook yet for holiday preparations.

9 comments:

  1. Jim, your Christmas crowd sounds pretty much like ours. We had a 5:00 and a 7:00 Mass last night, and an 8:00 and a 10:00 today. By far the 5:00 pm was the best attended, with the children's choir and the living creche. Baby Jesus bailed out at the last minute because of a virus. I don't know if they found a sub or used a doll. My choir group sang at 7:00. My husband is assisting at the 10:00 this morning. We had our family get together on Saturday. So this morning I am free as a bird, sitting here with a cat on my lap and the Christmas lights on. We have leftover turkey from Saturday so going to try a twist on your Turkey Collette recipe.
    About Mass times, 4:00 pm is the earliest we are allowed to have a vigil Mass. I'm like you, I'd rather have them accommodate people than be sticky about liturgical practice. Another thing that gets sticky is that a wedding Mass on Saturday doesn't "count" for one's Sunday obligation, unless it is after 4:00 pm, which it never is. I don't mind going to Mass twice, but for families of the wedding couple logistics get pretty crazy.
    Our parish dropped the midnight Mass years ago, since it was the least well attended. Some people griped, but there's still a midnight Mass at one of the other parishes in town if they want to go. As a choir member, I rejoiced when we didn't have to do midnight anymore. For the person hosting Christmas dinner it made Christmas a fatiguing ordeal. Which is funny because when I was a kid I used to love going to midnight Mass. My parents would let me go with Grandma if I took a nap. But now that I'm a grandma I have no interest in being up in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, please do report back on the success of the Turkey Collette!

      My pastor apparently polled all of the adjacent and otherwise nearby parishes, and it seems we're the only one with the Midnight Mass that truly starts at midnight, so we decided that's a differentiator for us and we kept it at midnight. A number of the other parishes have "Midnight Mass" that starts at 10 pm or a similar time. I'd actually be more likely to show up if ours did that.

      When our kids were younger, my wife sang in the choir for midnight mass and I stayed behind to be Santa's helper. Our local PBS station runs programming on the evening of Christmas Eve which consists of the holiday concerts from various colleges and universities - the St. Olaf one usually being the best of the bunch. I'd help Santa while enjoying the music.

      This year, we didn't even hang stockings for the kids (using "we" in the married usage, I guess - my wife helped Santa with the stockings after midnight mass each year). So I don't really have an excuse for skipping Midnight Mass anymore, but I've decided I don't need an excuse - it's not for me, and I usually do at least two other masses every Christmas. That's enough.

      Delete
    2. The turkey Collette was a success. I tweaked it a little. To the cream cheese and turkey I added sauted mushrooms and bell peppers, and seasoned it with a little Worcestershire sauce. Instead of making pockets with the crescent rolls I made a ring. It ended up a little like a Philly cheesesteak pastry, only with turkey.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas everyone!
    A couple of Christmases ago, one of my sons gave me a music CD, "Ancient Noels". It consists of lovely meditative instrumentals. Just the thing to relax to and enjoy the mood of the season. This youtube selection is one of the songs from the CD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine thank you for that link - very soothing!

      Delete
  3. Wesołych Swiąt, Everyone. I ran Polish Christmas Carol's continuously on Sunday via YouTube and my mother loved it. So did I. Everyone have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and your mom, Stanley.
      I always enjoy our Kolendy Mass, which will be this Saturday.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Katherine. A Merry Christmas to you and yours, too. And thanks for the ancient Noel.

      Delete
    3. The Poles do have nice carols don't they? I know only a few but they are very nice. Same with French carols.

      Delete