Sunday, December 23, 2018

A pregnant time

This is my homily for this weekend, the 4th Sunday of Advent, Cycle C.  The readings for this weekend are here.  The Gospel reading for this weekend is the famous meeting of Mary and Elizabeth commemorated in the Catholic church as The Visitation.

I’m sailing into treacherous waters this morning; I’m acutely aware that I stand before you as a male, daring to speak about pregnancy.  I’m going to do my best not to lapse into mansplaining – if I don’t succeed, I hope you’ll go easy on me.


I think many of you know that my wife Therese and I are parents; we have four wonderful children.  So I’ve observed a number of pregnancies up close, but I suppose you could say that my experience of pregnancy – at least after my mother gave birth to me – has all been second-hand. 

So in view of today’s Gospel reading, of this meeting of two expecting women, I asked an expert – I asked my wife Therese.  First, I asked her, Is there a spiritual aspect to pregnancy?  She said, Yes, there is.  And she went on to explain that the closeness, the intimacy, of having a living being, who is also your own child, inside you, can be intensely spiritual.  She told me that when a child is developing inside you, you’re so united with the baby that in many ways the two of you are a single organism; and the expecting mom is always aware of this mystery.  Therese sees powerful spiritual imagery in that, and when she described it to me, I think I can see it, too.  As close as an expecting mother is to the baby within her – that’s how close God desires us to draw to him.  Just as an infant in the womb is always with his or her mom, God desires us to be with him always, too.

I also asked Therese, is pregnancy a joyful experience?  I know already, just from being a husband and walking this road with my wife more than once, that a pregnancy can be a painful experience.  I know it can be stressful.  I know it can be a time of anxiety. Can it also be a time of joy?  She told me, “Of course it’s joyful!”  The experience of having your own child grow and develop within you, and the looking-forward to having the child join the family – these have been sources of joy for her.
That same joy and that same spirituality come bursting through in today’s Gospel passage.  Elizabeth feels her baby leap in the womb at the sound of Mary’s voice, and inspired by the Holy Spirit, she interprets it as a revelation of God’s goodness and blessings.  Amid all the difficulties and anxieties and frightening possibilities, these two expecting moms meet in joy and praise.

It’s often remarked that in our culture, Advent tends to get washed away in the tidal wave of secular Christmas commercialization.  Perhaps Elizabeth’s and Mary’s pregnancies can be an antidote to that tendency.  Pregnancy is such a potent symbol of what Advent is all about.  Advent is about expecting and preparing.  


I could wish that all of us, even the men here today, could be pregnant like Elizabeth and Mary – could be aware of God at work inside us, preparing us for life with him.  I wish we could be pregnant with joy in the realization that God is so good to us, and pregnant with the hope of what God is yet to do in our lives.  If we’re good pregnant parents, then we’ll attend to the changes happening inside us.  The idea that God is working to change us, to transform us - perhaps we’ll be a little scared of what is happening to us, and what it can mean for our lives.  We may think we’re too old like Elizabeth, or too young like Mary, or just not ready for change to come upon us.  And so let us be courageous in our Advent pregnancies, as brave as Elizabeth and Mary, in not only accepting but embracing the blessing of what God has done and is doing to us; and like them, let us look forward, with hope and joy, to a future in which God’s plans for us come to fruition.  


No comments:

Post a Comment