Wednesday, March 3, 2021

We won't all be vaccinated by May

President Biden has made headlines with his announcement that (to quote the NY Times news story) "there would be enough doses of the coronavirus vaccine available for the entire adult population in the United States by the end of May".  It's wonderful news.  It left me with the uplifting feeling that maybe we've finally tossed the lasso over COVID-19 and are cinching it tight.  It's the kind of news that helps explain, at least on a psychological level, why some states are lifting COVID restrictions already.

But. 

There is another half to the sentence I just quoted: " ... though he said it will take longer to inoculate everyone and he urged people to remain vigilant by wearing masks."

The situation today is that the demand for vaccines has far outstripped the available supply in the US.  The Biden Administration is working feverishly to fix that, coordinating with manufacturers to try to get a greater supply into the distribution chain.  Last month, the president authorized the purchase of an additional 100 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, and another 100 million doses of the Moderna vaccine.  That brings the total purchased from those two manufacturers by the federal government to 600 million doses, enough to vaccinate 300 million Americans.   In addition, the administration approved a third vaccine, from Johnson and Johnson, earlier this week, and now is announcing that Johnson & Johnson has struck a deal with a rival manufacturer, Merck, for the two companies to partner to ramp up manufacturing and packaging.   Johnson  & Johnson expects to make 100 million doses of its vaccine (which requires only one dose per patient) available in the US by sometime this summer.  When all this gets delivered, the US will have received enough doses to vaccinate 400 million persons.  That exceeds the total population of the United States, including those who are not here legally.  So at some point, if not by May, the supply problem should be solved.

As for demand: states are prioritizing distribution, based on CDC guidelines.  My state, Illinois, currently is offering vaccinations to residents who qualify under Phase 1A and Phase 1B, with many counties (although not mine) also offering them to those qualify under Phase 1B Plus.  Those break down as follows:

Phase 1A: 
  • Health care workers
  • Long-term care facility residents and staff
Phase 1B
  • Residents age 65 and older
  • Essential frontline workers:
    • First responders
    • Teachers and education workers
    • Food and agriculture workers
    • Manufacturing workers
    • Corrections workers and inmates
    • US Post Office workers
    • Public transit workers
    • Grocery store workers
    • Shelter workers
    • Day care workers
Phase 1B Plus (not currently available in my county):
  • Those with high-risk medical conditions and comorbidities, including cancer, diabetes, heart conditions, pulmonary disease, among others
I have no argument with this prioritization.  

It's worth noting, though, that most of the categories who are eligible so far might be grouped under the umbrella term "low hanging fruit."  Most of the groups either reside in institutions, with the vaccine being brought to them; or they belong to large organizations (and in many cases are unionized), such that the state is able to coordinate with employers or unions to arrange for vaccinations of members.  That is how my two children who have been vaccinated have been able to receive the vaccines: one is a teacher, and the other is a health care worker.  In both cases, their employers worked directly with the state or the county to arrange for the vaccination of employees.

As more of the population is made eligible to receive the vaccine, I believe it will become more difficult to reach some of the unvaccinated.  To be sure: some, like children in school, should be relatively easy to reach (assuming we eventually decide to vaccinate children and young teens).  But among adults, many people are self-employed, or work for small companies, or are unemployed.  Many, like me, will be more or less on their own to find a slot that works for them.  Some are not particularly "plugged in" to news and social media, and may only be vaguely aware of what is asked of them and how to go about it.  And of course, some subset of the population actually is hostile to getting vaccinated.  States and counties may have to work considerably harder than they have so far to reach these categories of individuals.

In short: I think progress will become more difficult as we get deeper into the vaccination project.

If I had my druthers, vaccine distribution would be done on the same basis as vaccines currently are administered to children to fulfill school district requirements: through family physicians and clinics.  Go to the doctor for your once- or twice-yearly wellness check, and a nurse will stick a needle in your arm.  If you need a second dose, make an appointment at the front desk.  Perhaps this is all part of the master plan.  I think it would be a better way of reaching a critical mass of the population than the current method of feverishly scanning pharmacy websites for an appointment opening.

My prediction: by Labor Day, we'll still be looking forward to that magical day of reaching herd immunity.  I hope it's not Halloween or Thanksgiving.  I hope I'm being too pessimistic.

21 comments:

  1. DeWine has simplified things in Ohio by focusing on age because it is the best predictor of hospitalization and mortality. That is true all the way down to age 50.

    After that is done, then it seems best to get it though your family physician or a pharmacy just like the flu vaccine. I suspect because of the variants we are going to have seasonal COVID shots just like seasonal flu shots from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I am just projecting my own anxieties and frustrations on this topic, but the trend I see overall in healthcare delivery is away from traditional doctor practices and toward more corporate and self-service options. Those of us who rely on corporate benefits are being pushed away from seeing doctors for everything and being pushed toward relying on pharmacies and 1-800 nursing lines. I understand that doctors themselves (nearly all of whom are corporate employees now rather than independent partners who own their own practices) are under a lot of pressure to "push downward" the patient care to physicians' assistants, nurse practitioners, et al. If the quality of care is good, then intellectually I don't have a problem with it. I'm still not entirely comfortable having to take on more responsibility to figure out my own health care than I've done in earlier stages of my life.

      Delete
    2. I feel your anxieties and frustrations. My mother died of congestive heart failure, and her health care was so fragmented that she found it impossible to keep track of who she was supposed to call for what--cardiologist, heart surgeon, electrocardiologist, family doctor, and hospitalists who only saw her on admissions.

      She would become vague and furtive about her health, and I realized that it wasn't because there was anything wrong with her mind. The doctors were confusing her, and she couldn't even explain her condition or diagnosis or keep her meds straight because too many people were giving her things.

      I finally started to go to appointments with her, which she hated, until I told Dr. Electrocardiology that I didn't even know what, if anything, was wrong with Mom. She said, "She has congestive heart failure and needs to stick to her diet." First we ever heard about a diet.

      The doctor was busy and frantic, and sent in the cardiology nurse practioner, may God take Nurse Yvonne directly to heave for the hour she spent straightening us out and being helpful and patient with my mother.

      Mom bawled all the way home from the appointment with relief because she got more out of 30 minutes with the nurse than she had in three years with the doctors.

      I can see my own care is starting to fragment, and after awhile trying to juggle all these people is more wearing than any disease you might have.

      Even my dentist doesn't do his own root canals and crowns anymore. I have to go to an endodontist 30 miles away. My childhood dentist would have gowned up, given my a shot of novocaine, drilled away for 20 minutes, put in a new filling and said, "Let's see if that holds for a few years. Don't drink anything real cold or hot for a few days."

      Delete
    3. My "dentist" appointments are exercises in teeth-cleaning with the dental assistant (or I think there is some other term/role - I probably just demeaned the woman who usually does this - she is very nice and seems quite competent). The dentist strolls in at the end of the appointment, glances at the X-rays if any were taken, asks me if I have any complaints, asks her is she spotted anything, and strolls back out. On a typical visit I get about 60 seconds of face time with him.

      Delete
    4. Jim, sounds like who you are seeing is the dental hygienist. Trust me, you are lucky that you have good teeth and don't see much of the dentist. My teeth are like a bad section of interstate, always under construction. "Left lane only. Fines double. Heavy equipment entering area." I'm well acquainted with the endodontist. I'm not even sure how many crowns I have. But at least I've still got teeth.

      Delete
    5. Katherine - yes! Thank you, I couldn't remember the job title. I believe, in the dental office hierarchy, the hygienist is considered a higher-grade job than dental assistant.

      In terms of cavities, my teeth always have been pretty good. Foolishly I didn't have orthodontia when I was a teenager (long story); at that time an orthodontist explained to me that braces aren't just cosmetic, but also prevent dental problems later in life. With the short-term time horizon typical of teens, I immediately set aside that advice and walked away. Turns out the fellow knew what he was talking about; because of crowding, I've had a fair number of cracked teeth and root canals over the years.

      When I was a young adult, I only went to the dentist if something hurt, which was almost never. Once I started going regularly again, I discovered that the flossing revolution had come about, and I couldn't get in and out of the chair without getting nagged about flossing. Finally, a few years ago, I started flossing regularly. It makes the checkups a lot more pleasant; the hygienists get pretty lavish in their praise.

      Delete
    6. I never had to have braces, thankfully. Apparently, it's a benefit of having a big mouth. I'll take anything I can get at this point.

      Delete
    7. I was a kid before nearly everyone got braces. Now I read that 80% of American teenagers get them. That tells me that orthodontists have a racket going. I didn't have them, but I did have decent dental care as a child. I think my problems were mainly hereditary, my Mom also had fragile teeth. Dad has barely any fillings. Too bad I didn't get his tooth genes!

      Delete
  2. The way we got our appointments was that when the governor said they were opening up the 65-plus tier you were supposed to register your information on the department of health site, and they would call you when it was your turn. Which they did. They told us when our time was, and where to go. There was no hunting around for appointments. I'm assuming that the ones who were part of a group such as healthcare or teachers got it the same way Jim's kids did.
    I think when it's time to get boosters, which will probably be necessary, that you can go to your clinic or pharmacy the same as for flu shots. But initially it would overwhelm the capacity of those places. Now they're giving them here at the fairgrounds, or the "family resource center", which is where we're getting ours. It's the building where most of the social service agencies are located.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while, seniors in this area had to scan websites for open slots. Some are still doing that, and some (quite a few, seemingly) have been able to get vaccinated that way. Now our local community hospital is administering the vaccine, and it is systematically calling the seniors in its database (100,000 of them) to make appointments with them. After they get through the list of seniors they will start in on people in my category. If not for the interpersonal exposure I get from ministry, I'd be content to wait till then. I would like to get it sooner if possible, for my own sake and everyone else I come in contact with.

      Delete
  3. The recorded welcome message at the doc's says that when vaccine is available, they will be contacting all patients over 75 by phone for appointments. Seems like they are trying to make an effort to contact a population that may have difficulty navigating online appts.

    But most doctor's offices just don't have the space, time, or staff to handle regular biz plus arranging vaccinations for everybody.

    I doubt we'll have herd immunity ever given that only 1 in 3 Republicans say they will get the vaccine that Trump did quite a lot to push development and funding for.

    https://www.axios.com/republicans-coronavirus-vaccine-hesitancy-023bf32f-3d68-4206-b906-4f701b87c39f.html

    Doc said yesterday that she is sold on masks. She plans to wear one through flu season every year and suggested that I think about it in addition to getting the flu shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About only 1 and 3 Republicans getting vaccinated, they talk tough, but the ones I know are getting the shot.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully you are right, and more of them will eventually cave in than are now proudly proclaiming Faith Over Fear.

      Otherwise, they'll not only be the party of dumbasses, but walking talking Petri dishes for lots of cool new covid mutations.

      Delete
    3. Re: the masks: I think your doc is right that they will become a permanent feature going forward, at least for some people and/or certain situations. I was pleasantly surprised this past winter to learn how warm they kept my face when I had to be outside!

      Delete
  4. Re: Republican resistance to vaccination: it will be interesting to see whether vaccinations can be required by employers as a condition of employment. Given that vaccines cost nothing to the employer while the cost of having an employee sidelined by COVID could be significant, employees would be strongly inclined to require vaccines. Another factor could be liability if a workplace becomes a spreader site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading in the news that one of the meat-packing plants in the state is offering a $100 bonus to the employees who get vaccinated. I imagine that will motivate most of them.

      Delete
    2. My guess is they could boost it to $500 and it still would save the employer money.

      Delete
    3. I like the $100 bonus idea, maybe they could amend the Covid relief bill to give $100 to each person who gets the vaccine.

      Delete
    4. Jack, I love the idea of financially incentivizing people to take the vaccine. Although that might inspire more people like those two idiots who tried to disguise themselves as old ladies to get vaccinated.

      Delete
    5. Jim, I didn't hear about that one! Sounds like something on Saturday Night Live.

      Delete
  5. Here is some somewhat-related news that sounds hopeful. The question was whether receiving the Covid vaccine would help the so-called long haul sufferers, that is, the people who had Covid and are still enduring ill health, even after no longer positive for the virus. Indications are that it does help, in at least some of the people studied.

    ReplyDelete