Sunday, January 27, 2019

Illumination

This is a true story.
My mother died suddenly when she was 51.
I got the call at dawn and somehow pulled myself together enough to borrow my friend's car and make it up to the city before noon. Because I have the dubious talent of being able to keep my head under pressure, only falling apart after the crisis is over, I was given the job of finding a mortician, picking out a coffin, and buying a grave. This done, I found myself alone in her room standing at the foot of the bed where she had died the night before.
The last time I had seen her was just a week before, at a wedding. Although I only lived 140 miles away, I would come up to Chicago only two or three times a year and didn't see her very much anymore. The wedding the week before had been fun enough, but I hadn't seen much of her there because as always, she was the vivacious life of the party and in much greater demand than I, the distant cousin. But I figured that I would see her after the wedding, since I would be spending the night on her couch.
As the reception wore down and the last dance was called, she suddenly came up to were I was sitting in a sulk and said “Let's dance”.
It was a slow dance. I had a bad habit then of staring at my feet when I danced, perhaps because I wondered where they were going to go next. But she quickly put me to rights. “Don't look at your feet. Look at me!”
Embarrassed, I looked at her. And she looked back at me in a way that made me feel a bit uncomfortable, intently staring into my eyes as though she were trying to chart them. Her eyes were a bit bloodshot and red rimmed, and my impression was that this was not from drink. As she continued to gaze at me, I decided to try to break the spell.


“Are you all right? You look a little....”
“I'm all right. I'm just tired. I'm very very tired.”
“When was the last time you had blood work done?”
“Um, about eight months ago.”
“Eight months?!”
My mother had a chronic blood clotting problem and had had it for many years, sometimes getting phlebitis in her leg so severe that amputation would be discussed. A few years earlier I have been called home from grad school in Connecticut because she had developed a blood clot in her lung and the prognosis wasn't good. She survived it and her doctor had put her on a very powerful blood thinner that she was to take for the rest of her life.
“You may eventually die from being hit by a truck, but as long as you take this stuff you will never die of a blood clot. Provided that you have your blood closely monitored every six weeks to adjust the dosage.”
She had be doing this for several years, religiously I thought, and sometimes the increases or decreases in the medication were radical. Eight months without a test was very dangerous.
I asked her why she hadn't been getting the tests.
“Well, you know, M won't bother taking me to the hospital for them.”
(M was the first initial of her husband's name, which I won't print here even though he's been dead for quite a while. I still find it hard to speak his name).
That was typical of her husband, an abusive drunk. But even though her hospital was some distance away and in a bad West Side neighborhood, M was really no excuse when she could just have taken a taxi.
“Look. I will call in sick to the classes I'm teaching and stay an extra day and take you personally.”
“No.”
“I'm not asking your permission.”
“I promise I'll go to the doctor by taxi the day after tomorrow. I'll make the appointment tomorrow and take a taxi the next day. I promise. I really will.”
I was skeptical, but she had always kept her word with me in the past, so I dropped it. And now I was standing at the foot of her deathbed, where according to her doctor she had died of a pulmonary thrombosis – a blood clot in her lung.
What was the real reason she had skipped her tests?
I could well see M refusing one way or another to take her. He was a horrible man and it was a horrible marriage. But she was very strong and seemed tough enough to endure it all, although she was certainly not thriving. Sometimes she would say “He's really wearing me down.” This was an interesting thing for her to say, since she was a woman who had taught herself not to take men very seriously (since really, she had never been with a serious man). Once I was present when a friend of hers tearfully came to her after breaking up with a boyfriend.
“You're getting all upset......over a MAN?!” my mother had said, as she poured out the scotch.
I knew that my mother did sometimes get depressed, and deeply. But her personal remedy for it was to throw herself headlong into some activity, preferably by making the people around her happy, preferably by partying hard. And she would end up lifting everyone's spirits. But then, she had some interesting advantages.
“My sister", said my uncle once, "simply does not give a shit about what anyone else thinks of her”.  One would have to know her extremely well to know whether she was actually depressed or not.
M had been wearing her down. So my brother and I encouraged her to dump him, good sons that we sometimes were. When I had heard ten months earlier that she had opened a secret bank account and was socking away money for her escape, my heart filled with joy.
But a couple of months later, I heard that M had stumbled across the account and had angrily demanded that his name be put on it too. Why she didn't just close it I did not know, but she did add his name.
Then six months ago, one night at her kitchen table maybe eight paces from where I was standing at the foot of her deathbed, I had a disturbing evening with her. This had been the last time I had seen her before the wedding last week.
We were up late following our old custom of talking and drinking lots of cups of milky tea. Her husband had already passed out from his custom of drinking a dozen tall boys every night and I could hear him snoring behind the door. We were chatting happily when suddenly she got very serious.
“Here, I want you to do me a couple of favors.”
“Sure. Of course. Whatever you want. What do you need?”
Thinking about it now at the foot of that bed, I realized that she had been staring intently into my eyes that night in exactly the same way she had at the wedding dance.
“Okay. First thing is that I am going to sign you onto my bank account.”
“Why? And isn't M already on it?”
“Yeah, he is. But I want you on it. Just in case something happens. And should something happen, I want you to promise something. I want you to promise that when you come up to Chicago, I want you to go directly to the bank before you do anything else and clean out that account. I want you to get there before M does. And then I want you to take the money and split it between yourself and your two brothers.”
“Wait. What? Why?”
“Because I want you to.”
She reached into her purse and pulled out a bank signature form.
“Sign this. And then promise me that you will do exactly what I say.”
“Well, um, all right. But I'm sure that none of this will be necessary.”
“Good. The second thing is that I am making you the sole beneficiary for my insurance policy from work. It's a very small policy, but I want you to divide the money between yourself and your brothers. You're the only one I can trust to do this. And also promise that whatever M does or says or what anyone else says, you won't give M a penny of it.”
“Wait now. What is this? Are you sick or dying or something and not telling me? What's going on here?”
“No, not at all. I'm fine. But just do it.”
“All right.”
“Finally, if something happens, I want you to do one more thing. I want you to get into this house, even if you have to break a window, and I want you to remove all of my personal possessions. I'm talking about mementos from before I met M, photos, things I inherited from my parents and stuff like that.”
“You want me to break in and steal your stuff?”
“You won't be stealing it. I'm giving it to you. Just make sure --- and I mean absolutely sure --- that you come and get it if anything happens.”
I agreed and tried to sort of laugh it off at the time. She seemed relieved and we poured out some more tea and talked about other things.
Had my mother had a premonition of her death? This was by no means unknown on her side of the family. Shake the shutters a bit and all kinds of creepy stories would fall out. But had she seen her death coming six months ago?
She hadn't had a blood test for eight months.
But then. But then. Ten months ago, eight months ago, six months ago, a week ago....I'm very very tired....Look at me!
Suddenly, at the foot of her deathbed, with traces of her blood on the sheets, to my total shame and horror, the pieces...snapped...into....place.

22 comments:

  1. How sad! Did her husband cause any problems over your carrying out her last wishes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.

    As soon as the bank opened the morning after she died, he was there and he took all the money out himself so I couldn't. But he didn't tell me. He did tell the relatives that had gathered for the funeral, however, that I had emptied the account myself. But to be honest, I was in shock that morning and I did not follow her instruction to go to the bank first anyway.

    He demanded that I hand over the insurance money when it came (he did this in front of my relatives to shame me) saying that as her eldest son I was morally responsible to pay for the funeral. Because I had also not broken a window to get her stuff, I implied that I would be willing to do this and he allowed me to take most of her stuff, although he handed out many of the older photos to the relatives so that now I have very few of my grandparents and older.

    I did not pay for the funeral, even though he kept sending me the bill. But I was conflicted about it. Not that I wanted to bail him out, but because I didn't want to appear to be greedy.

    One night, after the check had arrived, I was on the phone with my brother about it. Although my brothers both needed the money, they kindly told me that they would abide by any decision I made about it.

    I was talking in the kitchen. The living room was the next room over. Among my mother's things was an oil painting that had hung over her bed. It was her favorite possession and she had had it for years. It was very light (although rather large) and I had no place to hang it in my apartment. So I had propped it up against the wall and then wedged it in with a table that was heavier than the painting. On top of the table was a very heavy pewter lamp. I did this because I had a cat and I was afraid the cat would otherwise knock over the painting.

    While talking to my brother, I decided I would donate the insurance check to her baptismal church. She had left the Church a long time earlier and I knew that this was definitely not in accordance with her wishes, however it made me feel. At the moment I told him, there was a crash in living room. I rushed in (with the cat behind me who had been sleeping in the bedroom) and discovered that the painting had somehow toppled over, knocking down the table and sending the heavy lamp across the floor.

    So I said "I guess you don't like the idea of the donation, do you?"

    And I kept the money and split it among her sons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick - you don't mention your age when your mother died, but I assume you were in your early 30s at the oldest, more likely your 20s, is that true? I'm not sure how I would have done dealing with a clever mean drunk when I was that young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was 30. And not very clever. But in tough situations I always (briefly) get very focused, clearheaded, and ruthless. This is what got me though. I realized that my mother had been right, that I had failed at first, and that I needed to try to salvage something.

      Something I didn't say in the story, and you may not believe that it's true, is that my mother-in-law died unexpectedly two weeks after my mother did. And two weeks after that, my first child was born. It was a pretty rough month.

      Delete
  4. Thanks very much for this, Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick, Thank you. I hope it helped to put it all into words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't exactly say that it made things better. It made things more complicated.

      Delete
  6. It's hard enough to forgive someone who hurt oneself. But it's really, really, a struggle to forgive someone who hurt a loved one, especially if that person wasn't sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray Jesus forgives them. That's the best I can do with some people.

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I am extremely clear-headed in a crisis, and I'm not sure it's a gift.

    My mother's been dead for nearly a year, and I was still having nightmares about sitting at her bedside watching her die, or her standing around with a glass of SoCo in her bathrobe bitching me out for letting her die.

    My cardiologist--my mother had CHF and died of a cardiac arrest and then was revived, and I had to make decisions about life support, which made me want to tattoo DNR on my chest so my family would never have to deal with that mess--told me in the nicest possible way last week that even a control freak like me cannot determine how and when someone dies and that I needed to lighten up. He suggested therapy or the clergy, but no way am I going to solicit input from more people who can tell me how I should have done things differently and am going to hell for pulling the plug.

    Ah, alcoholic family members. The (completely dry!) reception I held at the house after the funeral was a total sh** show. Crowning event was when my sister-in-law brought my mother's jewelry box out of her bedroom, dumped it on the table, and told people to take whatever they wanted. I had to put the kibosh on some of that.

    My sister-in-law said I humiliated her by turning her into an "Indian giver" and has not spoken to me since. Which, in my view, is a win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaaaahr, extended family. I was just trapped for 40 minutes with your sister-in-law, her husband, her husband's mother, and the nurse (the only one of the four I'd allow to vote) at my wife's eye doctor's office. When they turned on "Sweet Caroline" to prove the cell phone could play music, and it drowned out the TV, I realized where David Mamet gets his dialogue. "What," she explained. "What I said," he replied.

      Delete
    2. Haha! It's like "True West" by Sam Shepherd. My friend Ronnie had a bootleg video that she insisted we watch a couple weeks before she died.

      If I'm merely an onlooker to eye doctor office dramas, I can enjoy the show. If I have to participate in the drama, not so much.

      Just texting with my brother (whose wife doesn't speak to me) about his mother-in-law with dementia, who is obsessed with racial purity since the grandkids married Native Americans and Puerto Ricans. She had her spit tested again because she has it in her head that all of this will change her own genetic make-up.

      My brother says it's easier to pay $60 for the test than to argue with her.

      Delete
  8. And that, dear friends, is why I have made all of my arrangements for cremation and transport back to the Midwest for internment in my small town country parish cemetery in a grave next to my parents and sister. My hubby's and my names are already on our headstone. All is paid for and settled. Leaving all of that up to someone else during a time of their distress is not fair to them. Do it now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, we I have all that done, but it's the stuff in your house people will fight or get grabby over when you are both gone. It's a nightmare for the executor to find things that might have sentimental value and try to figure out who gets it.

      Delete
    3. I guess that's worse than what we went through when my mother in law had to go to assisted living. Everything had sentimental value to her. Trouble was very little of it had value to anyone else. We kept what we knew were antiques, gave away some, and paid for a storage unit for some of it for eight years after she died. That was the inertia and laziness kicking in, it was easier to write the check than deal with it.

      Delete
  9. I am seventy five. With a life expectancy of ten years my plan is to get rid of 10% of my things each year, I the hope that I will be down fifty percent by the time I need to move to an apartment, and maybe to 25% when I need to move to a nursing home.

    Currently I am helping a friend who needs to sell her house to move to an apartment. It is very difficult to sort things out for someone else. She agree that she could only keep 20% of her clothes, but only she can make the decision. I can carry the boxes and bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really trying, but Raber loves clutter and hoards things. I have often thought marriage without cohabitation is a good idea. Had a friend who lived next door to her husband in an apartment for years. Kept them together until his death.

      Delete
  10. My mother was so against funerals, that she and my dad decided to have only two hours of family viewing the night before, and no meal or gathering after the Mass. They had seen too much selfishness and hypocrisy.

    I basically choose readings and music, and made up a souvenir booklet of reproductions of photographs, went through it during the vigil the night before. I kept people occupied and uplifted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The souvenir booklet is a nice idea, Jack.

      Delete
    2. My brother is very artsy and did a slide show of photos for our parents at the funeral home pre-service that ran on a loop. He did a great job picking some of the hilarious photos, and ones that showed my parents with people who would likely be at the funeral. You're right: It kept people occupied and uplifted in the run up to the service. He put it in thumb drives for the grandkids to have a copy.

      Delete
  11. Those scrapbooks of photos and memories that people put together for funerals...my siblings and I have a tradition of doing that for a 50th birthday, rather than waiting for someone to die. My youngest sister started it for my 50th. There are five of us, ranging in age from nearly 68 (me) to 50 (her). I just finished curating her book, and sent it off yesterday. Hopefully it is meaningful, and lets people know that they are valued. It was a little sad in some ways, so many of the family members in the early pictures are gone now. It sounds like kind of a chick project, but the brothers seemed to enjoy theirs, too.

    ReplyDelete