Saturday, March 31, 2018

Should I stay or should I go?

There are two types of people in the world: those who think sports are really interesting and important, and those who find the whole sports-fan culture to be in equal parts perplexing and annoying, and don't understand how people can be absorbed by, much less passionate about, the prospect of extra-tall boys, wearing short pants and tank tops with the school name emblazoned upon them, chasing around a ball in a gymnasium for a couple of hours.  And in my observation, for some reason, parish staffs, and especially people involved in liturgy, tend to have a disproportionate number of the latter type. 




If you follow this blog at all, you know that I'm excited about the hoops success of alma mater, Loyola University of Chicago.  The Ramblers tip off against the University of Michigan at approximately 5:09 pm Central Time this evening, with the winner advancing to the national championship game.

The issue is this: this also happens to be the holiest evening of the year.  As it does every year, our parish's Easter Vigil service begins at 7:30 pm.  That would give Loyola fans, of whom there are quite a few in this area, a bit less than two and a half hours to watch the game and get over to church, if they're so inclined.  They may not be so inclined: if they are at a watch party, either in a private home or a tavern, it might be thought to be bad social form to say, "Sorry to watch and run, but church starts in a few minutes."  There is also the question of sufficient sobriety.  There is also the question of how much one really wants to attend a two hour+ service for which attendance is not mandatory.  There is also the possibility that the Loyola game would go into one or more overtime periods, which almost certainly would require one to leave with the outcome hanging in the balance in order to arrive on time at church.  And there is another, nearly as interesting game immediately after, with Villanova vs Kansas scheduled to begin at 7:30. 

At least one parish in the Chicago area, the renowned young-adult-focused Old Saint Pat's community, just west of the Loop and near Greek Town, has pushed back its Easter Vigil start time from 7:30 pm to 8 pm, in deference to the Loyola game.   Judging from comments I've heard floating around from churchy types, this decision is not universally applauded.  Young adults with upscale urban lifestyles being who and what they are, the sufficient-sobriety factor may be significant for the Old Saint Pat's congregation. 

All of the above considerations would apply to someone sitting in the congregation.  As it happens, I don't always sit in the congregation at the Vigil.  It is true that I've never been scheduled to be the deacon of the Vigil service; that generally goes to the deacon who is most involved in RCIA.  But before entering deacon formation, I had spent 10 years in the parish music ministry, co-leading an ensemble of then-youngish adults.  Since diaconal formation and ordination, I've had to dial back my musical involvement, but I get drafted to accompany various services from time to time (although not this evening), and during the Triduum services, if I have nothing else on, I generally sing with the choir.  Like many church choirs, our choir could use more men. 

But "call time" for the choir this evening is 6:45 pm.  The Loyola game almost certainly won't be over at 6:45; in fact, that time probably will land somewhere in the second half of the second half of the game, the time when whichever team is trailing makes its final push and turns the game into a nail-biter.  (For the possibility of that happening in this game, cf Loyola's 2018 tournament history to date.)

So I could walk away from the telecast with the outcome still in doubt and be a good choir citizen.  I and other choir members will have our smartphones at church, and we can check the outcome during pre-service rehearsal, and I can also record the game for later viewing.  Or I can watch the game to the end in real time and most likely get over to the church in time for Vigil to start, and sit with the congregation.  I could even show up late if the game runs longer than expected, although that's probably not a good look for a public minister of the church.  I could even stay until the game ends, head over to church and crash my way into the choir and sing with them, albeit having missed some/most/all of rehearsal.  If I weren't a deacon I could mumble my excuses and they'd be glad to have me.  Probably they still would, but again it's not good optics for a member of the clergy. 

Or I could just blow the whole thing off (the "whole thing" meaning the service, not the game).  I'll be at church tomorrow for the early mass anyway.

What would you recommend?


32 comments:

  1. That's what DVR is made for. You can still enjoy the game and be there for choir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you've joined the conspiracy of deacon's wives :-)

      Delete
    2. LOL! It's true I'm not much of a sports fan. But my husband is a Nebraska football fan. And he's following the basketball championships. The way I look at it, it's all good. It brings people together, doesn't matter what your politics are or what church you go to, you can be a fan (though I'm sure Loyola fans skew towards Catholic). And I can do my grocery shopping while the games are on and not deal with crowds.

      Delete
  2. There is one year between Easter Vigils. There are often decades between Final Four Appearances. I'd stay. One thing I would not do is go and try to be part of the vigil while glued to my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say stay and watch the game. The Easter Vigil being what it is--endless--you can get there before the Creed.

    Ours is more than eeennddlessss! Bi-lingual...two homilies, two lot of things. No one wants my advice, Year one: Spanish; Year two: English....That's what bi-lingual missalettes are for. Some years I have won the argument for 11 AM Easter Sunday Mass. Not this year. I used to be a liturgy freak...I have been worn down.

    We have the DVR set, but could watch the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, I bet your bi-lingual was never as long as the year the Spanish speaking priest decided it would be better if he repeated the English parts in Spanish before reading the Spanish parts.

    Bilingually, I've seen it all. But if your parish is roughly 50-50, what else can you do? Every other year won't solve the problem because the true Vigil aficiandos would still show up if you were alternating Portuguese and Norwegian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a Latin Novus Ordo Mass would be the best solution under these circumstances. Would be equally unintelligible to everyone.

      Delete
  5. While I am certainly not a sports fan, and most people who know me consider me one of the most liturgical people they know, if I were in your situation I would watch the game and go to Mass on Easter morning.

    Why? My major liturgy professor, Fr. Taft, emphasized the primacy of the Lord's Day, that Easter is just a bigger than normal Lord's Day rather than a small Easter. He also emphasized the Eastern tradition which begins the Lord's Day with Vespers on Saturday evening followed by Matins and the Eucharist.

    I will be singing in the choir tonight. Fortunately we get to begin the Vigil at 8pm this year (sunsets at 7:50pm) rather than wait until 9pm (past nautical twilight at 8:50pm) as in previous years under previous bishops.

    The lighting of the paschal candle is related to the lamp lighting takes place at every vespers of the Byzantine tradition. And of course you light the candle after the sun has set, but do not wait another hour for most everything to be dark.

    I like long services but we have made the Vigil too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, that's a marvelous thing, to be able to study under Fr. Taft!

      Delete
  6. Been doing this since at least 1970 and you think they [the clergiests] would figure out a good way to do it.

    It's a social justictia show... the liturgists should get back in there and solve the problems. Isn't that what we're paying them for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As it transpired, I stayed, and then I went. Loyola lost, but Jesus won, so all in all, not a bad evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At my church the service started at 9:30pm and ended at 00:45. That's over three hours. I saw many children struggling to keep their eyes open. At to myself, since I was on the choir, I got there at 8pm.

    How long did it last at your parish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say, that's too long. Unless we are encouraged to drift in and out like the Orthodox.

      Delete
    2. I have gone to Vigil only twice. First in my former Catholic parish - it was 3+ hours and I never went back. I also went to a Vigil at the Episcopal Cathedral in DC - it was a bit better, at 2 hours. But it still seemed too long for the kids, since it didn't start until dark.

      Claire, if I'm not mistaken, you live in Paris itself, not outside. Is your parish French? When I lived there many, many years ago, I mostly attended St. Joseph's, near the Etoile. American students were recruited to sing in the choir and I was one of them.


      Delete
    3. Anne, I live in Versailles and I am a Cathedral parishioner, so I get all the tralala. One of my friends goes to St Joseph's.

      Delete
  9. We were about an hour and 45 minutes. That's probably about the best that can be done, with a Baptism and three Confirmations. If I were a liturgist (thank God I'm not!) I would do something about the Exsultet. Such as edit the length by about 75%. There are some beautiful, very moving parts to it. Just not all two pages of fine print worth. Our senior deacon, who is 88, chanted it last night, God bless him. He did a good job, or at least as well as anyone could have done, given the length and the tune, if one can call it that. The other thing I would do is have it accompanied by soft chords. I know chant purists don't think that's kosher, but trust me, it would be a big improvement.
    However, it's all good. We have three new members. The young man from our parish who is in seminary, and will be a transitional deacon this spring, was there to help out. And the choir did well (no, it wasn't my group).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait till next year, Jim. I am going to have to hear it from the former Republican operative now in deacon training who went to Villanova, AND I am going to have to hear it from my youngest son who is Michigan Law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least you can agree with him about Villanova!

      Delete
  11. My personal problem, but our parish church is very small, and there's nowhere to get away from the lilies and incense at the vigil except the cry room. I used to make sure The Boy and I had our Claratin and a couple hits off the inhaler before the Vigil, but we usually ended up wheezing after 30 minutes and taking refuge in the cry room. The Church Ladies always take a lot of pride in their abundance of floral decorations, and I don't have the heart to bitch about it. This year, I didn't feel like fighting it. I'll say my Sunday prayers at home and go back when Raber reports that the lilies are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our incense has the acrid smell of long-dead leaves. Where do they get this stuff. Unless, of course, it is long-dead leaves.

      I don't think there were any lilies.

      Delete
    2. I always like the idea of incense, but they can't seem to control the amount of smoke in such a small area.

      "Frankincense and other traditional resins are still ritually burned. Typically, the grains, powders or gummy chunks of resin are placed on glowing charcoal briquets in a metal censer or thurible."

      It might be the charcoal medium that creates the worst of it. https://classroom.synonym.com/what-kind-of-incense-is-used-in-the-catholic-church-12079907.html

      Too bad they can't just go to the local hippie yoga shop and get whatever they use, which is pretty toned down and subtle.

      Delete
    3. We had the EMTs show up about 1/4 of the way through our vigil because someone had a breathing attack - seemed a lot like an asthma attack. Could easily have been the incense.

      A lot of liturgical types poo-poo the notion that incense can trigger genuine breathing problems; they're convinced that people are just hyper-sensitive about anything resembling smoke.

      Delete
    4. I have heard the Church ladies opine that nothing in Church that has been blessed or transubstantiated can cause harm. Alcoholics may drink from the cup without harm, asthmatics may breathe holy incense, and germs cannot be spread via holy water fonts.

      M'okay.

      Delete
    5. This is a serious issue. I missed Communion on both Christmas and Easter one year because I was outside puking when our British assistant pastor was here. The pastor claimed the problem was from Trappist incense from a peat bog in northern England, but my suspicion was overuse of charcoal. Anyway, while I was outside puking, I was joining a small but significant part of the parish that was doing what I was doing.

      I never had a problem with incense before I was treated for prostate cancer. Cancer treatment was something I had in common with fellow pukers. But the problem went away when our British assistant got a parish of his own (where -- figure this! -- he is beloved by all).

      Delete
    6. About transubstantiated things not causing harm; all I know is that I got a little dizzy Holy Thursday evening when I was cup bearer for Mass. More people did not receive from the chalice than did, which meant I needed to consume quite a bit of the Precious Blood. Our pastor uses Mont LaSalle Angelica sacramental wine. It is 18% alcohol. Good for killing germs. But rather potent.

      Delete
    7. Tom, I hope you reported this confluence to the cancer researchers. Looks significant!

      Delete
    8. Whoa, Katherine, that's more alcohol than Night Train, Mad Dog 20/20, or Wild Irish Rose, which weigh in at 17 or 17.5 percent.

      Delete
    9. Jean, it gives "getting high on the Lord" a whole different meaning.

      Delete
  12. I agree that incense fog is a problem for a lot of people; in fact most of my family members. I am not affected by it, but I don't want anyone to be miserable. Especially at a service where we are supposed to be rejoicing. Since it is an ancient custom going back to the Old Testament, I don't imagine it is going away. Maybe we could do the visual effects with dry ice or something.
    At least we don't have as much incense as is put out by the famed botafumeiro of Santiago de Compostela. Note the flames shooting out starting at about 2 minutes in.

    ReplyDelete