Saturday, March 23, 2024

The Technological Evolution of the Music Industry in Recent Decades

 Statista provides not only a link to its charts, but also allows you to imbed the chart in your post, as I am doing today. Once simply switches into HTML, at the extreme left of your post options, then paste the code that they give you and then switch back to normal posting, and their chart appears in the post as below.

Infographic: Streaming Drives Global Music Industry to New Highs | Statista You will find more infographics at Statista



The evolution of the music industry over the past decades is simply amazing.

According IFPI, the music industry bottomed out in 2014, when revenue was at a 20-year low of $13.0 billion, more than $9 billion less than 15 years earlier, when physical music sales alone had amounted to $22.2 billion at the peak of the CD era. 

 As our chart nicely illustrates, the transition to digital distribution has both fueled the music industry’s decline and helped stop it.

After the golden age of the CD, which propelled worldwide music revenues to unprecedented highs through the 1990s, the advent of MP3 and filesharing hit the music industry like an earthquake.

Between 2001 and 2010, physical music sales declined by more than 60 percent, wiping out $14 billion in annual revenue. During the same period, digital music sales grew from zero to $4 billion, which wasn’t even remotely enough to offset the drop in CD sales. It wasn’t until the appearance and widespread adoption of music streaming services that the music industry’s fortunes began turning around again.

With my large collection of liturgical music which is about equally divided among Anglican, Eastern, Latin and Contemporary music I certainly fueled the CD music revenues.  When the pandemic began I was interested in what was available for free on YouTube (free if you are willing to endure their ads). Most of my collection if actually available.

I guess physical and even digital downloads give so little revenue in comparison to the streaming services.  YouTube is a streaming service in the sense that you pay for it either by an ad-less subscription or by watching ads. Actually, many of the ads are from corporations who have sold things to me. I figure that it is appropriate that they are paying for my free use of music. 

I guess the market value of my CD collection has also declined, although it seems like there are people out there who like having physical CDs just like they like having vinyl records. Of course one also has to have the disc players; computers no longer come with them. 

So I guess I should find a seminary, religious, or retreat house which wants to limit internet access to give my collection of CDs and computers.  

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LIKE PALM SUNDAY PROCESSIONAL MUSIC (remember that in Europe these where often from one church to another and fairly lengthy, so there was a lot of music), here is my Virtual Divine Office post back on April 4. 2020 updated in 2022.  It is a good example of the many things that are in my CD collection which are now on YouTube.
  

PALM SUNDAY PROCESSION

When I first did it, I simply used links. When I redid it I turned the more interesting ones into embedded YouTube inserts. The interesting thing about YouTube inserts in Blogger is that they do not have advertisements. 

When I was looking through the posts for Palm Sunday, I came across this example of Morning Prayer for Palm Sunday in 2022 by Dean Roberts. It is a great example of his ability to integrate bible study with current and historical events of the day. Note in particular the videography.

Have a great Palm Sunday!

ANGLICAN MORNING PRAYER

DEANERY GARDEN CANTERBURY CATHEDRAL
An excellent model of how to incorporate liturgical prayer
into our daily lives including plants, animals and the environment
as well the daily events of today and history




24 comments:

  1. My mother in law had an old Edison phonograph with the thick black records playing such hits as "What does Robinson Crusoe do with Friday on Saturday night?" She asked if we wanted her to save it for us, otherwise she had a chance to sell it. We told her, "Mom if you have a chance to get some money out of it, go for it." We didn't have room for it or any desire to own it. Things have come a long way since the Edisons and Victrolas
    My parents had a three speed stereo that would play 78 or 33 RPM, either the LPs or single song ones that you put a little metal center in.
    We have a box full of vinyl 33 pm LPs from the 70s and beyond. We haven't opened it for about 28 years. It has my husbands Santana and Grateful Dead records, and my Buxtehude and Bach ones. I don't think any monastery is going to want those!
    The 80s brought the CD era and we have a bunch of them that are in different boxes around the house. Still play them if I can find where I put the one I want.
    We do mostly play from youtube now and put up with the ads. I see that one of my favorite artists, Loreena McKennitt, has a new CD out, the first one for many years. It is on Amazon as CD or vinyl. I am glad to pay for it, I will probably order the CD, but I wish it was available in digital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roseanne Cash has been outspoken for many years about streaming services that cheat musicians out of royalties https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2014/10/streaming-is-just-dressed-up-piracy-says-rosanne-cash.html

    It's one reason why concert ticket prices are obscene; musicians can't make money on recordings.

    Freelance musicians like The Boy end up having to police copyright infringements themselves. Recently somebody pirated his song for an Instagram video, and Instagram told him he would have to have an Instagram account before they would process his complaint.

    My niece is a graphic artist whose copyrighted baby animal designs were pirated by tee shirt companies. She said it's impossible to track down the perks at this point. I see her designs pretty frequently on all kinds of stuff.

    And a friend who has made a nice retirement income self-publishing children's books and doing school assembly readings just found somebody ripped off one of her stories.

    AI has added another layer to blatent plagiarism by feeding copyrighted materials into its hoppers to churn out graphics, lit, music "in the watered down style of" Somebody Famous.

    What gets lost in the enthusiasm over having everything online is that it takes real money away from real creators. Their work is snatched as free entertainment and monetized with advertising.

    Not exactly what your post was about. Feel free to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like we're in the Wild West as far as theft of creative property. I wonder if there could be a way to encrypt copyrighted material. I think they're going to have to figure out something like that to make it impossible to just download art or music.

      Delete
    2. Maybe that's why Loreena McKennitt isn't making her music available in digital form, it's too easy to pirate it.

      Delete
    3. Problem with not recording music in digital or analog (which can be easily digitized) formats is that it doesn't get exposure and your market shrinks.

      Centuries ago, publishers who owned those new-fangled Gutenburg inventions stole stuff willy nilly to feed the demand for reading material. Boon to employees in paper-making, ink manufacturing, type setting, and binderies. Tough luck for writers who got ripped off. Which is why subscriptions and copyright laws were invented.

      I doubt we'll live to see how it all plays out over decades, even centuries, with streaming and social media. In pessimistic moods, I envusion the demand for original works will dwindling as AI churns out tepid reboots of existing art and the public taste eventually can't digest anything but pablum. (Ugh, someine call tge metaphor poluce!) But as long as somebody's getting rich off it, we'll call it progress!

      Delete
    4. There's also a possibility that people will simply not trust AI and start living in the physical world more. Probably wishful thinking, but it wouldn't be a bad thing.

      Delete
    5. Millennials and GenZs are bringing back a few video stores. The Boy says he and his friends like making "slow selections," reading the blurbs on the DVD case, talking to the store owner about what's good, or what's similar to something else they liked. Nostalgia for them.

      I read a lot of post-apocalyptic dystopias, and, along with the plagues, wildlife run amok, and roving gangs of killers is a kind of wistful depiction of communities and families. I don't think humanity is wired to resist innovation, even if it's going to kill them eventually (fossil fuels, pesticides, nuclear weapons). But the memory of Eden is also still in our circuitry.

      Too bad so many Christians have decided that hoping for Eden in this life is for flakey tree-huggers. Just accept Jesus as your personal savior and keep an eye on your property values and anybody trying to freeload a hot lunch until you can make it into the Pearly Gated Community.

      Delete
    6. Jean, my oldest son has said the same thing about their local comic/graphic novel store. He likes to go in and browse and talk to the owner about what's good. He wants them to stay in business so he buys some stuff there. He'll turn 50 on his next birthday, so I guess you don't have to stop liking that stuff when you grow up!

      Delete
  3. Back in the 1970s, comedian Robert Klein had a funny routine spoofing television commercials offering collections of recordings (vinyl records, of course) in which Klein's offer was for literally every recording ever made, delivered to your house in a truck. I know there are many complaints about what streaming has done to the music business, but I have to say that the good streaming services (I currently have Spotify at $10.99 a month) almost turn Klein's comedy into reality, without the need for delivery by truck. The number of recordings available is astonishing. And with "smart speakers" (I have Alexa) I can listen to any recording that comes to mind as long as the title and artist's name is not beyond Alexa's rather limited ability to understand. For anything complicated, it's necessary to access Spotify (or whichever streaming app you have) on your phone or computer.

    And if that's not enough, there are something like 50,000 radio stations from all over the world accessible through your smart speakers, computer, or phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use Spotify (I feel like I'm the last person on earth who doesn't) but our car came with a Sirius XM subscription which is nice for long car trips. I think Spotify is more like YouTube in the sense that it utilizes algorithms which try to suss out what you want to listen to and keeps feeding that stuff to you. Sirius is more like a radio station (actually, many radio stations) in that there are DJs that curate what is played.

      Delete
  4. I am avoiding AI as much as I can. Browsers are now incorporating it to "tailor it to your interests and needs". Sounds like they want to set up a positive feedback loop in my brain. Maybe I should be interested in things besides the things I'm interested in. Maybe I'm full of baloney. I'm with Jean's suspicions regarding the technology. I don't trust the AI but I especially don't trust the owners of it and THEIR motivations. Another way for Bezos et. al. to climb inside my head and start pulling wires.
    As for streaming music, I do it rarely when I want to find something but I mostly listen to CDs and Sirius XM in my car. I have hundreds of CDs I indirectly inherited from my friend Charlie Seitz. Charlie's brother didn't like classical music so he gave them to me. Sometimes I'm ready to trash everything to a pre-Edison level and just go to live performances. They are, after all, alive.
    Streaming services probably rape the artists but Taylor Swift supposedly made it to billionaire. The prices for tickets are outrageous, though, and I haven't heard anything that thrills me. I liked when someone like Melanie could just take a guitar and a powerful voice and make goosebumps run all through me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listened to Janis Joplin sing "Summertime" on a CD that turned up under the car seat about a year ago. Out-of-body experience all wired up with intense nostalgia and regret for my 17-year-old self. Janice didn't need no spandex body suits, smoke machines, boy dancers, or autotune. Just a feather boa, some cigs, and a fifth of JD to keep the voice shredded.

      But I don't want emotional head trips like that anymore. Gave the CD to The Boy and turned on NPR talking heads.

      Delete
    2. Stanley, LOL, Melanie: "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates/you've got a brand new key"

      Delete
    3. I see that unfortunately she passed away earlier this year.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the link to Anglican Morning Prayer, Jack. I like listening to Dean Robert. I didn't know they had palm trees in England; I see them in the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palms are not native to Britain. They processed with yew branches. Writers in the later Middle Ages wrote about this being a long established custom. Yew was a pagan symbol used in death rites and was also a powerful runic symbol. So you can see how that resonated with the locals during the conversion period.

      Delete
    2. Though they are not native, cold hardy palms will grow in England. I assume those are the trees in the video. I don't know if the cold hardy palms are true palms, or just look like them.
      I have also heard of people in Europe carrying pussy willow branches for Palm Sunday.

      Delete
    3. The Gulf Stream keeps temperatures warmer in Cornwall, south Devon, and even along some parts of the Scottish coastline. Palm trees grow in both areas.we were once in Cornwall in November and were surprised by seeing the palms and also flowers blooming.

      Delete
  6. Sort of related to Palm Sunday, does anyone else dislike it when the congregation is expected to say the lines of the crowd for the Passion readings, such as "Crucify him!", and "Release Barabas!"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Katherine - we don't have the people say "Crucify him!". But we do have four readers and they've divvied up the Passion reading among them. The deacon is the narrator so gets the lion's share, including the "Crucify him!"'s (which I tried to proclaim with gusto. Also the "Hosanna!"'s in the first Gospel reading). The priest gets the words of Jesus, of which there aren't many in Mark's account. Reader 1 got Pilate's dialogue. I can't remember what Reader 2 ended up with.

      Delete
    4. I will hope that when we get to the Good Friday readings that whoever is the narrator will get the pronunciation of the high priest Annas' name right. Doesn't always happen. Word to the wise, say the "A" as in apple.

      Delete