Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Obesity in USA and around world

 
STATISTA is a Swedish firm that claims
 it is empowering people with data, insights and facts across 170 industries and 150+ countries.

At a hefty price of $199 month, billed annually which sounds like you have to have a yearly subscription. A starter account gets:

Immediate access to 1m+ statistics
Download as XLS, PNG, PDF & PPT
Complete source information including background details

If that does not get you enough there is a personal account for $549, again billed annually which give you access to all reports.

HOWEVER, they do have a Basic Account for FREE. I started mine on February 26th. You get a daily email with some starter statistics; usually a very brief article not larger than our posts with a graphic. 

March 4 World Obesity Day Infographics


Obesity is rising in the U.S.

Obesity is on the rise in the United States. According to figures released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, four in ten American adults now have a body mass index at 30 or higher, classifying them as obese. This has climbed since the turn of the century, when it was approximately three in ten.


Obesity rates around the World


In most OECD countries that collect self-reported weight data, more than half of adults were overweight or obese and nearly one in five were obese in 2021 (latest available data). 

Obesity prevalence was particularly high in the United States, with just over a third of respondents saying that they are obese. In Chile and the United Kingdom rates were just above one in four, while Korea had the lowest share of people with obesity of the countries studied at just 4.3 percent.

The above graphs from Statista encouraged me to seek out other information about BMI.

US Obesity Mapped

Three states - Louisiana, Oklahoma, and West Virginia - have over 40% of their adult residents listed as obese. Their respective obesity figures among adults stood at 40.1%, 40.0%, and 41.0%.

Meanwhile, adults with some college education had a 35.9% rate of obesity, and those with a high school education were next up at 35.7% obesity prevalence. The level of obesity among college graduates is 27.2%.

The statistics also show that the 45-54 age cohort has the highest prevalence of obesity in the United States, standing at 39.9%.

Younger adults, aged between 18 and 24, were found to have the lowest rate of obesity, at some 20.5%, meaning they were almost half as likely to be obese as those twenty years their senior.





BMI was created in the 1800s.

It did not gain popularity until a study published in the Journal of Chronic Diseases in July 1972. This study concluded that BMI is the best proxy for body fat percentage among ratios of weight and height.2 Major health organizations agree with this finding.
A large body of research suggests that people with higher BMIs are more prone to health-related complications.5

All of the BMI studies cited above were done across large populations.

Using that data and applying it to an individual without looking at the person’s overall health is a bad idea.

Someone can have a normal BMI but still have a high visceral fat percentage and be at increased risk for diabetes & heart disease. On the other hand, a sumo wrestler with a high BMI but little visceral fat will be metabolically healthy.10

Additionally, as most people know, essentially all NFL running backs, most of whom sport 6-packs and sub-10% body fat, would be classified as obese under this system. Even a recreational athlete with slightly above-average muscle mass could be considered overweight.



Should we stop giving so much "weight" to BMI?

Maybe. Research suggests that BMI alone frequently misclassifies metabolic health, which is linked to how much fat a person has and how it is distributed. And, BMI may be particularly unreliable during pregnancy, for athletes, and the elderly.

And there's another problem: current BMI definitions of overweight or obesity were based largely on white populations. Yet body composition, including percent body fat or amount of muscle mass, can vary by race and ethnic group. So, BMI may help predict health status among people who are white, but may be less accurate for people in other racial and ethnic groups For example, defining obesity by standard measures of BMI tends to overestimate risk in Black individuals and underestimate it for those of Asian descent. 


My Own Weight and BMI

Below is a table of my weight and BMI at various times in my life.  My weight was around 142 to 147 during college and graduate school.  It increased to be between 162 and 165 when I got my own apartment and began to cook most of my own food. Before that I had eaten mostly to satisfy my hunger. That changed when I had food available all the time.

The 162 to 165 has been my most common weight except that after I retired I began a regular exercise program which brought me down to somewhere between 155 and 158 which is my current weight. However, when I developed my balance problem which reduced my exercise my weight increased to the 174 to 178 range.  I am sure that I never weighed 185 which is the top of the overweight range, just shy of obesity.


Weight

BMI

Classify

Low

High

142

22.9

Normal

18.5

24.9

147

23.7

Normal

18.5

24.9

158

25.5

Overweight

25.0

29.9

162

26.1

Overweight

25.0

29.9

165

26.6

Overweight

25.0

29.9

174

28.7

Overweight

25.0

29.9

178

28.7

Overweight

25.0

29.9

185

29.9

Overweight

25.0

29.9


My weight is always taken right when I get up before I eat or drink anything. I do that almost every day which probably helps me to control my weight. Anytime that I overate because of holydays, or eating out at professional meals, I would exercise for a few weeks to bring things back what they had been before.

After I retired my cardiologist did encourage me to get my weight into the normal range. I think that was a mistake. I was doing a lot of exercise, but I was also using sugar in the form of soft drinks, ice cream and pastries.  He should have concentrated more on having me get ride of the sugar rather than on reducing weight. That is what I am doing now. I think it is important to get my protein (a lot of vegetable protein but not neglecting animal protein) and the right kind of fat (e.g. almonds daily). 

12 comments:

  1. I punched in the numbers and came up 27.9 in the overweight range. But I work out with weights and my muscle mass is higher than most my age. I think I'm really in the high range of normal. If I can lose ten pounds, I'd be right, I think. Without automobiles, we'd all be better off physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hear a lot about the obesity epidemic. I am much more concerned about the people in the world who don't have enough food to keep body and soul together. Some of them are in our own country, especially among the homeless. A lot of us grew up hearing our parents tell us not to be so picky with our food because the starving children of the world would love to have it. That's still true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. After fighting middle age weight gain for years that had me one pound above normal, I have lost more than 20 pounds since Sept 22. Stress and anxiety - not a good way to lose weight. My BMI is now 21. Now I’m forcing myself to eat so I don’t lose more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My weight is actually lower now than usual because of Lenten fasting (which isn't really very onerous). But I'm definitely overweight. I eat too much processed sugar. I've cut down on it during Lent. I see and feel all the health benefits. But I've found it difficult to sustain the good habits. Once Lent ends, I'll probably regain the weight. Happens every year.

      I also stress-eat.

      FWIW, except for the processed-sugar issue, my diet isn't a dietician's dream, but it's not terrible. I eat some lean proteins, I have at least one fruit or vegetable with every meal, and so on.

      I also work out pretty regularly, although my life has been so busy recently that it's turned into semi-regular workouts. There are many benefits to fitness, but I've concluded that weight loss isn't one of them - I don't think working out more/harder is the path to weight loss. Consuming less calories is.

      Delete
    2. Jim, I agree. I was a stress eater, but over the years I learned that when it’s really serious stress I don’t want to eat.Until 6 months ago the periods of intense stress were relatively brief. This has been 6 months non- stop serious stress and crippling anxiety.. I don’t recommend it.

      Delete
    3. Anne, I wish there was something I could do for you and/or your husband.

      Delete
    4. Thank you Jim . Just please keep praying. Thank you

      Delete
  5. I weighed 165 last November before my surgery, infection and hospital stay, and rehab. I didn't get weighed right away in rehab, but it seemed to me I had lost about 10 pounds in the course of my 7-day hospital stay. I now weigh 150 (BMI 23.5). For years I had been aiming for 145 and never lost more than a couple of pounds before gaining it right back. So 150 is fine with me.

    I don't remember anything about my diet in the hospital (except for a lot of diet ginger ale), but in rehab I imagine that it was pretty much what a weight-loss diet would have been like for the 165-lb me. Although I don't actually remember the food from my grade school cafeteria, I think the food in rehab must have been pretty similar to that. It was usually edible, but a lot of it (including most of the fruits and all of the vegetables) came from cans.

    Interestingly, I have lost most of my appetite for cookies, candy, and many of the kinds of things I formerly ate for snacks. I am now addicted to Sumo Citrus, "a variety of oversized mandarins known as dekopon in Japan." I don't know what I will do when they go out of season.

    It's my observation that unless you are getting medical treatment from someone who specializes in mental health, suffering from anxiety and stress isn't taken very seriously. My heart rate throughout most of my ordeal was about 20 bpm faster than usual. My "roommate" was suffering from bone cancer, and while not in continuous pain (as far as I could tell), certain routine daily interventions by nurses or aides were intensely painful for him. He reacted by screaming (with occasional profanity), and often screamed, "You're killing me!" This was often in the middle of the night. It made it hard to relax, to say the least. Speaking of weight, I overheard them saying his weight had gone from somewhere in the 180s to somewhere in the 140s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I don't think I absorbed that you had gone through those health issues. Infections scare me. I know of at least one instance of someone who died of an infection contracted in a hospital.

      Delete
  6. I'm not an ideal weight (my philosophy is don't ask, don't tell!) But right now everything works, so I am thankful for that. But if I were a car there would be a lot of miles on the odometer, and once in a while the "check engine" light goes on. I'm long since out of warranty.

    ReplyDelete