Monday, August 21, 2023

Unity among people

This is my homily for this past weekend, the 20th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle A.  The Sunday readings are here.

Earlier this weekend, I saw my sister.  She is visiting from out of town.  I hadn’t seen her for a couple of years.   She lives pretty far away, in Nevada, so I don't get to see her very often.  It was good to see her, but if I’m honest, I’d have to say: we’ve grown apart over the decades.  I grew up in a large family: I have four sisters and two brothers, so there were seven kids, plus the parents: a family of nine.  And I suppose we were a reasonably close family at one time, when the kids were all living at home.  But each of us kids has followed his or her own path as adults.  We’re scattered all over the country now.  We rarely see each other.  On Saturday, I was trying to recall the last time all nine of us were together in the same room at the same time.  It might have been on my wedding day, and that was 35 years ago.   

Imagine that situation from my parents' point of view.  What I've described, with the children dispersed all over, is not how they they wanted things to turn out.  They really wish their children and the grandchildren lived closer.  My parents have never given up on the ideal that all of us siblings and our families all could be together again.  In fact, on that same visit with my sister, my mother revealed that she's hatching a plot to have a family reunion next summer - another in a series of attempts on her part to try to get all of us together again.

What my parents are longing for is family unity.  Their view is that family members should stick together and should be together.  I can understand that longing, and I share it.  My own kids have mostly finished college now, and they’re starting to go off in other directions, too.  It’s hard for Therese and me to get our family together, too.

I’m told that the 2nd law of thermodynamics states that the natural tendency in any system is entropy: increasing randomness and disorder.  If you don’t keep your car or your vacuum cleaner in good repair, they don't improve; they start to break down.  Personally, I think the natural tendency toward less order extends far beyond physics – I think there is something analogous in human relations as well.  We don’t naturally stay together.  Left to our own devices, we drift toward fragmentation, disorder and conflict.  

Our Judeo-Christian spiritual patrimony understands the natural tendency toward human disunity very well.  In the book of Genesis, we find the strange myth of the Tower of Babel.  The myth states that, in the beginning, humans were united and all spoke the same language. But in our sinful pride we built a city and a tower to reach up to the heavens - to try to put ourselves on the same level as God.  God punished us for this sinful pride by confounding our speech, so we could no longer understand one another, and scattering us over the face of the earth.  And that's how we remain to this day.  But while we are divided from one another; there is a part of us that intuits that it needn’t be that way.  That part of us longs for unity among peoples, just as my parents long for unity in my family.  But unity seems difficult or impossible to achieve.  If my parents haven't been able to manage to get their seven children together over the last 35 years, how will we ever achieve unity on a grander scale?

So the world into which God sent his son wasn't united.  He came into a world that had been divided for many thousands of years.  The world in his day bore some of the same hallmarks of disunity we still see in our world today: division, distrust, misunderstanding, conflict, hatred and war.  Jews, Canaanites, Greeks, Romans: they may have dwelled alongside each other within cities such as Tyre and Sidon and Jerusalem, but because they lived and worked side by side didn't mean that they loved and trusted one another.  On the contrary, there were histories of conflict among and between all of them.

So in our Gospel story today, when the Canaanite woman in this foreign city reaches out to Jesus to beg his help, she’s doing something remarkable.  She’s reaching across multiple divides: historical, national, cultural, religious, gender.   

How does Jesus respond?  Does he open wide his arms, hurry forward, embrace her, reassure her that her faith has saved her, and that all will be well with he daughter?  Not exactly – at least, not at first.    In fact, when she first reaches out to him, he doesn't respond at all.  It's as if he simply ignored her.  And then, when eventually he does respond, it is to rebuke her. And his rebuke seems to reinforce all of the divisiveness of the status quo.  In effect, he tells her, Hey: my people are Jews, and that’s who I’m here to serve.  You’re different; you’re a Canaanite; and that makes you no better than a dog.

In the face of such a rebuke, perhaps many of us would give up, and go back to our old, divided way of life.  We’d tell ourselves, Well, we tried, but it didn’t work.  We might crumple in tearful despair.  Or we might become affronted and give Jesus a few choice words and gestures:  Hey, Galilean, come over here and say that to my face about me and my people, and see what happens.

But once again, the Canaanite woman is remarkable.  She neither crumples nor rages.  She persists in her faith that this Jewish man can save her daughter.  And finally we see the Jesus we know and love and expect: we see the son of God work a wonder on behalf of this faith-filled woman and her child, even though he is a Jew and they are Canaanites.

Because it turns out those old hallmarks and divisions don’t count in God’s kingdom.  What counts is that we have faith in Jesus – and sharing in that faith is enough to unite us, across all our divisions and disagreements.

This Canaanite woman teaches us that faith in Jesus can bridge many gulfs.  I wish we knew more about her.  I wish we knew her name, and what became of her and her daughter afterward.  Because I think she deserves to be counted among the ranks of the great, faith-filled people of the New Testament, alongside Mary and Elizabeth and Mary Magdalene and the Woman at the Well.  (I have to say: on the whole, the women seem to do better than the men in this regard.  She certainly does better than poor hapless Peter, who always can be counted on to say or do the wrong thing at the wrong time; or doubting Thomas, who won’t believe unless he can stick his fingers in the nail marks and his hand in the lance wound.)

Let this Canaanite woman be our role model.  Because we’re beset by divisions and gulfs, too, and they’re impeding our ability to follow Jesus.  For example: we’re not united religiously.  Christians are divided between East and West.  We Christians of the West are divided between Catholics and Protestants.  We Catholics are not always united among ourselves, either.

Nor are we always united in our personal lives.  I’ve described the less than perfect unity in my family.  I don’t doubt there are other families at St. Edna that struggle to stay united, too.  Not all our marriages work out.  Our friendships don’t always last.  The devil’s own entropy is at work, sowing disorder, pulling us apart, dividing us.

Our divisions are not what God wants.  He wants us to be united, in Jesus.  This is one of the reasons he sent Jesus to us: to reunite us.  And it’s why Jesus still comes to us today in the Eucharist, that great sacramental sign of unity.  Jesus died for all of us, of all races, all nationalities, all genders, all sexualities, all generations, all social classes.  And he did so that all of us may be one – that all may be united in him.

As we receive the Eucharist today, let our prayer be that Jesus heal the divisions in our lives.  You know, I could reach out to my siblings more than I do.  May the Eucharist give me the resolve to do so.  What about you: what divisions are in your life?  What can Jesus in the Eucharist heal and repair in your life?

19 comments:

  1. Some are upset that Jesus isn't Mr. Sweetie Nice Guy in this. But I'm interested in the drift of this story, the motion, the evolution. Does it make me want to hate Mexicans or Russians or gay people? No, it ends in healing.
    I don't worry too much when Jesus isn't a nice guy. Is it a sin not to be nice or is it more of a sin to not change things for the better?
    If Jesus was a nice guy, they wouldn't have crucified him. Good luck finding a prophet in the OT who was a nice guy.
    I liked your homily a lot, Jim. This is a powerful, dramatic part of the NT with lots of energy and motion in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stanley, thanks. I definitely agree with you that Jesus wasn't always "nice". Fwiw, I think his calling Canaanites "dogs" was, at least in part, a rhetorical strategy meant to provoke her into making a statement of right belief. Obviously, she passed the test.

      Delete
  2. Jim, thanks for a little different slant on this story. And also thanks Stanley for your take on it. As you say, the "drift of the story" is interesting, with energy and motion in the right direction. And Jim may have a point that it was a rhetorical strategy on the part of Jesus.
    The mother in the story is like moms the world over who won't take "no" for an answer when advocating for their children; I admire her.
    As for myself, the issue has to be one of those things that remain unresolved, that bugs you and makes you keep thinking. And maybe that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unrelated, I woke up this morning to a "cloud of unknowing", a dense fog. We'll see if the farmers are right who predict a snow 90 days after a fog. If so we should have one Nov. 1 and Nov. 21st. We'd better replace our broken snow scoop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a time of the year to be thinking about shoveling snow :-) We're having a heat wave this week. Katherine, thinking about the weather map I saw on television yesterday evening, I expect you are, too? We may break 100 degrees later this week - that will be the first time for us in over a decade, apparently.

      Delete
    2. We're in the heat wave, too. The fog wasn't the cool moist kind. It was what my son once described as "being in someone's mouth". And now the fog is burned off. But it is our first real heat wave of late summer, I shouldn't complain.

      Delete
  4. Jim, to your point about families drifting apart, unfortunately the occasion of relatives all getting together is likely to be a funeral. It had been a number of years since I had seen some of my relatives. At the luncheon after my dad's funeral I had to ask siblings, "Psst! Is that who I think it is over there?" They were probably doing the same with me.
    Then out to the cemetery, standing by our sons, who barely knew any of these people, apart from aunts and uncles and first cousins; ones of the sons said, "Why is there no death date on the stone beside us?" I said "Shhh! Because they're still alive. And they're standing right behind you." These cousins had bought their plot and set the stone ahead of time; I suppose to get a primo cemetery location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - someone at the parish told me the same thing: the only time her family gets together is at funerals.

      My wife has a brother who has estranged himself from us, and I think from other members of her extended family. It's a heartbreaking situation for my wife, because they were close when they were kids. One of her cousins passed away earlier this year, and we were hoping we'd see her brother at the funeral home. We haven't seen him for well over a decade (at their dad's funeral), and that was the first time in a decade or more. But he didn't come to the cousin's vigil,

      A couple of years ago, one of my dad's cousins died. Her son was my best friend during middle school and high school. We went our own ways starting in the college years. I went to the funeral, in part hoping to see him there - but he didn't come, to his own mom's funeral. The relationships in that family always were a little complicated. I asked his brother why he wasn't there. He just kind of shrugged.

      Delete
  5. Good strategy, Jim, beginning with the family unity, where the culture agrees there should be unity, and then going to religious, racial, and ethnic unity where the cultural winds are less favorable.

    Ironically, family disunity may be much more difficult to deal with than ethnic unity. When Betty and I talked about this she pointed out the many things that can lead to family disunity. In a large family, differences in ages between the oldest and youngest. Large families bring in many more in-laws; the children and their marriage partners may choose a wide variety of occupations. In some sense the more children you have the more potential problems. On the other hand, as an only child I had no problems with my parents or my siblings!

    In the case of ethnic disunity, research shows that prejudice is more likely against groups where there is little or no opportunity to get to know people of that ethnicity through personal experience. One priest related that he was very fearful of telling his Polish mother about the teachings of Vatican II on the Jews. Her reaction was no problem; she was not surprised. In the old country she and others had had personal experience of good Jewish people, and little experience that reinforced the stereotypes.

    Gallup has evidence that Trump’s rantings against Latinos play much better in parts of the country far from the border where there are none, and more poorly in areas where there are plenty. Education was also a big factor. Trump supporters who had more exposure to higher education or people with a higher education were less likely to endorse his bigotry.

    I like it that you made the woman the heroine of the story. There are many stories of colorful characters in the Gospels who are not part of the Jesus followers let alone his inner circle. They come on scene. Their lives are changed. And they exit. No propaganda about them becoming disciples or followers of Jesus or settling into a house church. It is always apparent that their lives will never be the same again. In fact, in this case we can imagine her having a whole new set of problems. Probably more desirable problems, but problems none the less.

    I think we need to consider these stories as parables, e.g., the parable of the Canaanite woman. As with all parables things are likely to far more complex that they initially appear. Parables are meant to give us pause; to challenge our thinking.

    The Canaanites were the people whom God dispossessed when he gave their land to Israel. Therefore, Jesus was following the practice of his Father when he treated them poorly in preference to Israel. What great faith for this woman to see beyond the whole history of this God, his prophets, and his people that had poorly treated her people! They surely had treated them like dogs. But she did not hurl back that her people and their gods were innocent. She understood that the God of Israel was always ready to side with the poor, the lowly, the humble and the contrite rather than the rich and powerful.

    We need to let all the little people who lives were changed by the encounter with Jesus to teach us their stories. We need to see Jesus as more than a miracle worker who changes the environment of their lives. Real profound interior transformation did take place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "In the case of ethnic disunity, research shows that prejudice is more likely against groups where there is little or no opportunity to get to know people of that ethnicity through personal experience."

      While it's not an ethnic situation per se, I think one of the good things about LGBTQ persons feeling more comfortable about coming out has been that it has helped many other people realize that they know and love LGBTQ persons.

      Delete
  6. I have often pondered the implications of the phrase “Friends are the family you choose”.

    Why is it assumed that shared DNA make people a family, other than biologically? Is biology the most important factor in a relationship? There are no guarantees that biologically related people will share anything other than some genes. They very often have completely different interests, completely different beliefs, completely different values once they are adults. So it is not surprising that they don’t stay “ unified” as adults. I have experienced the truth of that saying that friends are the family we choose. It is my friends that I have always turned to for advice, or moral support, or guidance - not siblings or parents. My friends are my “real” family. I think this is true of many people - hence the ubiquity of the saying about friends being a chosen family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see my siblings very much, but I have retained a sense of loyalty and responsibility toward them. If they are in trouble, I would try to help them. I hope they would feel the same toward me.

      Delete
    2. Sure, friends can be like family. Unfortunately I'm not very good at staying connected to friends once we no longer live in the same town. I always say we need to get together, but when it means a road trip it doesn't happen.
      Anne, I get the idea that you actually are pretty close to family, that is, your sons, daughters in law, and grandchildren. My husbands family of origin wasn't very large, and all of them are gone now with the exception of a cousin he is close to. He has said, "I have no family left." I said, "Hello! I am family, the boys and grandkids are family."

      Delete
    3. I still go to graduations and such. Actually, much more frequently than funerals. It's good to maintain connections. M still maintains contact with her relatives in Germany. Another friend establishes contacts with folks she finds through Ancestry and helps them trace their connections. But, we all have friends, too, and probably see them more often. I guess it's a both/and for me.

      Delete
    4. Katherine, so far our sons and their families have remained close even though widely separated geographically - Maryland (us) , NorCal and SoCal - same state but a 5.5 hour drive between them on all high speed highways - and Colorado ( big improvement over Australia). Our philosophy when raising them was to give them roots and wings. They knew they could always come home - but they also knew that we would encourage them to fly - to follow their own dreams, wherever they led ( didn’t anticipate Australia but we encouraged him when the opportunity came up. That son spent almost ten years overseas).

      We have regular video calls with all of them and their children.I think that has helped because although the young grandchildren only see us once or twice a year, we aren’t strangers to them when we are together. I don’t know how close they will be after we are gone. But the 7 grandchildren are in a 7 year span of ages ( currently age 2-9) and so far they all love it when they are together for thanksgiving or during Christmas holidays. All three sons deliberately looked for and bought homes that have grandparent suites - also serve as brothers’ families suites as required. But I’m not close to my trump loving sister who lives 20 minutes from here. The other sister and I have drifted apart. I have a trump loving brother in Arizona. I last saw him almost 6 years ago at our murdered niece’s funeral. My closest sibling, a brother 16 months older, died 30 years ago. I seldom saw my father during my life, and my mother was a very difficult woman. So my family of origin has not been close as adults.

      I see my best friends from middle and high school days about once/year in California. I had only one cousin i was ever in contact with. I usually saw her in California when I was there, but she moved to New Mexico three years ago, so now I don’t see her. I am still close to several friends from college ( much closer than to my sibs) and to a couple of friends of 40+ years in the DC area. My friends have been my real family most of my life.

      Delete
  7. The universal disunity we see in both our country and others, is due largely to tribalism. People separated into tribalism from the very beginning of pre- history for survival, and loyalty to the tribe was a paramount life and death value.

    I don’t know if anyone here has read Jonathan Haidt’s book on what he calls “moral foundations.”

    https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Mind-Divided-Politics-Religion/dp/0307455777

    I had a whole lot of problems with his theories from the first page on, and also with the methodology he used to determine “values” shared by liberals, conservatives, and by all. There are too many issues with his work to go into here, but he claims that there are basically five “moral” foundations that drive individual “ moral” decision making. These foundations include: Care, Fairness, Loyalty, Authority, and Purity.

    He says that self- identified “liberals” ( according to his poorly designed online test - pure self- selection) are concerned only with the first two, but that “ conservatives” base their moral decisions on all five. ( I think he’s added a sixth now).

    Loyalty is a feature of tribalism. Loyalty to the tribe means sticking with your own tribe - family, religion, ethnic heritage, country etc. above all else. We definitely see this in the MAGA movement. Conservatives also highly value authority and authority figures (people have been polled on this and conservatives strongly prefer authoritarian political leaders and government. Conservative Catholics value the Magisterium highly although they are not happy with the church’s current #1 authority figure. Finally, they value “ purity”, another reason evangelicals and conservative Catholics favor MAGA - even though trump is totally corrupt and sexually immoral. Religious MAGA supporters ignore Jesus as well as their own religious moral code!

    Haidt doesn’t define the terms he uses in his online questionnaire and I didn’t find any definition of loyalty, authority, and purity values until two or three hundred pages into the text. Once he defines them, sort of, he concedes that these “ values” do describe historical movements such as Hitler’s and Mussolini’s nazism.

    The tribalism detailed in the Bible hasn’t gone away. It is one of the most damaging influences on our domestic society and on international relationships.

    I see a lot of memes on Facebook these days encouraging people to “find your tribe”. Not so sure this is good advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If "your tribe" means the people who have your back, the ones you can depend on in a crisis, sure. But it sounds like Haidt defines it a lot more broadly than that.

      Delete
    2. Tribes and tribal membership are still important in many parts of the world. Tribal identity has proven more resilient than national identity in Afghanistan and some other parts of Central Asia, and in parts of Africa.

      I think European ethnic identity isn't much different - and also can work against nationalism. Czechoslovakia split into two countries, Yugoslavia into 5-6 separate nations. There are Basque separatists. Belgium is like a little Czechoslovakia, with its Dutch-heritage Flemish and French-heritage Walloons. And of course the UK is still in some danger of fracturing into its constituent parts.

      Delete
    3. Katherine, The tribe is the people with whom you share an identity - family, co- religionist, people of the same race, nationality etc. It’s not just family or friends that you turn to in a crisis. It’s broader than that and it can mean ignoring the conscience- many people believe they are not racist until their brother, the cop, is caught beating up an unarmed teenaged black boy with three other cops. Then they will usually stand up for the brother even though they know what he did was wrong. Tribalism comes before standing up for the right action - the moral action. Tribalism is almost always a factor in wars. So Germans fight for Germany and Americans fight for America and Russians fight for Russia and Ukrainians for Ukraine. Refusing to fight for your country usually means a prison sentence and condemnation as a traitor to your country. But too often countries ask their citizens to be traitors to their moral consciences. White supremacists are loyal to their most cherished tribe - white people. White Christian nationalists are loyal to the combined tribes of whites, christians, and American citizens who share their racial and religious attributes. African Americans are loyal to other African Americans, largely because they are the only people they trust to have their backs, as you put it. It’s more of a survival thing for them than for white Christians.

      Delete