Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Feast of Sts. Joachim and Anne

 


I have always liked this painting by Leonardo DaVinci of St. Anne, Mary, and the child Jesus.  Sts. Joachim and Anne are the patrons of grandparents.  Also St. Anne was my mom's patron saint; her Confirmation name.  Appropriate since she had twelve grandchildren. And my sister's twin sons were born 40 years ago today.  Appropriate for me too, now that I have grandchildren. Mom  visited the shrine of St. Anne de Beaupre in Quebec when she visited friends in Canada.

I like the DaVinci picture because of the softness and love of the faces. And it is a reminder that Jesus had a family, and that Mary had parents.

5 comments:

  1. It is interesting that Mary sits on Elizabeth's lap. Perhaps that shows a young adult's continuing emotional dependence on her parent. Seeing that these days from our kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading that this is actually an unfinished picture by DaVinci. Other artists have depicted St. Anne as an elderly person. But she probably wouldn't have been *that* old when Jesus was a baby.

      Delete
    2. Right - she could have been a 30-year-old grandmother.

      Delete
  2. Unrelated, please say a prayer for my brother, he had surgery today for a blocked artery in his leg, complicated by a wound which was nearly septic.

    ReplyDelete