Saturday, April 1, 2023

The St. Monica Club

I am a subscriber to America Magazine, and this article, Praying for a child who has left the faith? Join the St. Monica club. | America Magazine popped up this morning.  First of all, I will say that of course I am not against praying for adult children who have left the practice of faith.  A lot of people don't acknowledge how painful this situation can be for parents who tried to do everything they could to bring their children up to be practicing Christians. And it is good that there is a loosely organized online support group for parents in this situation. Just knowing that there are others in the same boat is an encouragement for people dealing with a painful or disappointing outcome in the lives of their adult children.

Where I part company is in adopting St. Monica as the patron of mothers (and I assume fathers) whose children no longer practice faith. I left a short comment after the article, but I will go into a bit more detail here.

Basically Monica nagged Augustine relentlessly until his thirties trying to convince his to convert to Christianity.  She even followed him to Rome on one occasion against his wishes.  That kind of thing happens in parent/adult child relationships in our day, too. But it isn't a pattern for a successful relationship; more often it results in estrangement.

More complicated is the role of Monica in Augustine's breakup with the mother of his son, with whom he had a many year relationship.  This article is informative, especially about the situation of concubinage, which we fortunately don't see now, at least in US society: AUGNET : 1027 Augustine's concubinage

From the article: "...taking a concubine was an uncertain area of church law. The North African bishops had decided that it would be impossible to forbid Communion to anyone who was faithful to one partner in concubinage. In Book III of his Confessions, Augustine says that at the age of eighteen, "I came to Carthage, and all around me in my ears were the activities of impure loves. I was not yet in love, but I loved the idea of love." [Confessions 3, 51]"

"...The practice was partly generated by the rigid class system of late Roman society.  In that society, marriage was an alliance between families and estates. It was not a romantic affair based on personal preferences. Another possibility was that the woman in question was a former slave. If so, Augustine, who was born as a Roman citizen, would not legally have been permitted to wed her....Augustine and concubine remained together and were faithful to one another for thirteen years, until about 385.  Augustine wrote of himself, "But she was the only one and I was faithful to her."  The grief which Augustine felt at parting from her shows how strong the relationship had been. It was, nonetheless, out of ambition rather than for any moral scruple that Augustine parted from the mother of his son."

"...Augustine never recorded for posterity the name of the woman he loved, the mother of his child. From their union came a beloved son, Adeodatus, born in 372-373. His birth happened early in his parents' relationship.... Augustine later described Adeodatus as an exceptionally intelligent child and close friend to Augustine himself. Even so, Monica was going to accept only what was socially most acceptable for her son and for his career now that he was a rising star in Milan. When she came to live with Augustine in Milan, she told him that he should have a "proper" wife whom he was legally able to marry."

"In deference to the pleas of Monica, Augustine agreed to marry a chosen woman of suitable station. One temporary problem was that the young lady in question had not at that time reached the legal age for marriage. The marriage would have to be delayed. Some authors suggest that this could mean that she was as young as twelve or thirteen years of age at the time of the agreement. Other writers have surmised that, because Monica was a great influence in this plan, the young lady in question must have been a Christian; Augustine never wrote on this matter. Monica argued with such force and persistence that Augustine finally agreed to send back to Carthage the woman who was his de facto partner (concubine) and the mother of Adeodatus."

"Many writers have pointed out the harshness of this decision, but it reflected the social realities of the time. Even so, their parting was very painful for Augustine. He wrote in his Confessions, "When they took from my side her with whom I had slept for so long, my heart was torn at the place where it stuck to her, and the wound was bleeding.....My heart, which clung to her, was broken and wounded and dropping blood." The love of his life returned to Carthage in North Africa "after having made a vow to you [God] that she would never go to bed with another man... " [Confessions 16, 132-133] Some writers have suggested that back in Carthage this woman became a Christian, but Augustine certainly made no such statement. He praises her for vowing to take no other man, while he himself showed no such control of his passions.  He promptly took another woman while he waited for two years for his betrothed to reach the legal age for marriage."

This account is hard for us to understand in the present day.  Certainly concubinage was a misogynistic practice; the woman, while not a slave, was not in any kind of an equal relationship. There would have been a massive power imbalance, and really no possibility for consent as we understand it.

We should note here that Augustine never married the underage girl he was engaged to while he was waiting for her to reach maturity (which might have been the advanced age of 15). For what it's worth, this was before the time of mandatory celibacy for clergy.  Theoretically Augustine could have married the girl he was engaged to (or his concubine) and still pursue the priesthood after his conversion.  Though under Roman law formally marrying a concubine might have been a thorny situation, I have never heard that there was any insistence in church rules that one had to marry someone in one's own social class.

I am not personally in the situation of the mothers in the St. Monica Club, so I am a bit of an outsider looking in.  But if I were, I would be hesitant about adopting St. Monica as my patron, because of the situation of her not respecting her son's free will and agency, and massive boundary crossing. And also the hubris of thinking I knew what is best for my children as far as choice of their spouse.

37 comments:

  1. Agree with you that Monica is not the best example for mothers. But is this group only for Catholics? Or all christian mothers?

    You wrote

    I am not against praying for adult children who have left the practice of faith. A lot of people don't acknowledge how painful this situation can be for parents who tried to do everything they could to bring their children up to be practicing Christians

    Is “the faith” Christianity? Or Catholicism specifically? If the adult children attend a christian church, but not the same denomination as that of the parents, are they considered to be practicing the faith? What if the adult children identify as christian, even as Catholic, but don’t go to church because they are SBNR, and have found their own way to support their spiritual life, are they considered to be lost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I googled them. They are promoted by the far right Catholic groups like EWTN. So I’m guessing that an adult son or daughter who is a dedicated Methodist or Episcopalian or evangelical Protestant would be considered lost and the source of a lot of totality unnecessary anguish for the moms. In fact, if the adult children are good people, leading good, generous, kind, responsible lives, moms shouldn’t fret even if they are atheists.

      Delete
    2. I can't speak for anyone else, and I don't really care what far right Catholic groups say. I wanted my kids to stay Catholic, but would have been okay if they practiced as Protestants (preferably not the more far out kind.) It would have bothered me if they were atheists. I would have wondered if we did something to drive them in that direction. If they were SBNR at least they would have some belief. I know some people maintain a spiritual life that way, but it takes a certain amount of discipline to commit to regular prayer and meditation, and not everyone has that discipline, on their own and without the support of a group of fellow believers.
      I know one sea change which has taken place. When I was a kid the no-salvation- outside- the-church thing was preached. Now even some quite conservative priests will admit that though it is preferable to be Catholic, they would rather people be a practicing Protestant than "none". Even back in the old days when pressed, a priest would say, " No, your Baptist grandparents aren't going to hell if they're good people."

      Delete
    3. When I was about 8 my best friends father died of a heart attack, he was only early 40s. He was a screenwriter for Warner Bros and he worked mostly at home, in a small study that overlooked the back yard. They had a pool, not uncommon, even in neighborhoods like ours with small 2-3 br houses. I think his study was actually thé third bedroom. He taught me to swim when he taught his daughter. I barely remember it as I was only about 3 years old. I was there a lot and as an adult I know that he was trying to make sure I was safe too, not just his daughter. He was kind, and kept an eye on us from his study while he worked and we played in the back yard. In SoCal we played outdoors all the time, except on the very rare rainy days. Which meant we were playing near the pool most of the time. I was shocked when he died. I was young and he was the first person I knew personally who had died. He was Jewish and the nun who taught us told me that even though he was a nice man, he wouldn’t be saved, because he wasn’t Catholic. I was very upset by this and refused to believe her. That may have been my first small step out of the church, even though I hung in there for another 50 years. I was so angry at the nun who to,d me that. Only Catholics can go to heaven she said.

      Delete
    4. Half my relatives and all of my in-laws were Protestant. Heaven was going to be a pretty lonely place if only Catholics got in. Not to mention our town was only 20% Catholic, so one's chances of being in a mixed marriage were pretty good. I think these cramped ideas about salvation came about when people lived in silos or bubbles where "their" kind predominated.

      Delete
    5. I would be happier with my sons being atheist and good people than evangelical.

      Delete
    6. There's different kinds of evangelicals, not all are the MAGA type. But it does seem that most MAGAs are either right wing evangelicals or right wing Catholics.

      Delete
    7. In 2016 and 2020 more than 81% of evangelicals voted MAGA. More than 57% of white Catholics voted MAGA.

      Delete
    8. I certainly hope God and Jesus find ways to speak to my son thru the Holy Spirit. He certainly heard a LOT from me about how God is never to be used as a way to manipulate and scare people. And that our job is to be Christ to others. In that regard, he is ahead of me!

      Delete
  2. Yes, her story makes her sound like an awful harridan.

    But it's probably good to remember that St Monica's behavior may have been somewhat exaggerated by hagiographers. It's a hagiographical convention that a saint, especially if she is not a martyr, must make a herculean effort to bring people to Jesus.

    If she had to nag the living daylights out of Little Auggie, then more honor redounded to her for persistence and faithfulness. And Augustine's conversion seemed even more miraculous because he was a complete heretic until the scales fell from his eyes.

    I feel bad for the saints in heaven who might have been really nice people--we just don't know about the real Monica--but are stuck with this kind of reputation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a kind sorry for Monica and any woman who lived in that society. They basically had no rights. Her husband was an abusive jerk. I think that was kind of the norm.
      And I especially feel sorry for the poor concubine whose name we don't even know.

      Delete
    2. We don't really know how Monica may have responded to her grandson, the concubines, or the fiance who was jilted. These were elements of the story that hagiographers were not concerned with.

      Augustine loved the first concubine who had a baby boy. So if Monica was anxious to get on his good side, she may have been kind to them for his sake.

      It is also possible that, given the unhappiness of her own family life, she would have felt some empathy for the concubine and her son, and provided for them.

      Pure speculation on my part.

      She might also have been a relentless religious fanatic who demonized the concubine because her husband had so many flings.

      What is interesting is how popular she was. As patron of unhappy families, her veneration in the Middle Ages from the North Sea to north Africa perhaps speaks to the unhappiness and frustration of many medieval women. The vehemence of their frustrations might have been folded into retelling of St Monica's life, which is why she comes on so strong now.

      Delete
    3. I do remember reading that Monica and the grandson were close. Unfortunately he died very young, I don't remember if Monica died before he did.
      Monica's popularity speaks to the unhappiness of medieval women, but also how universal family problems are, including in our own age.

      Delete
    4. I'd like to give credit where it is due. Was anything written like the "Confessions" before? It is not only autobiographical but opens up his internal life for examination? Julius Caesar may have written about his glorious conquests and who he beat to a pulp, but Augustine is personal and self-critical. Was there anything like this in previous literature? It's like existentialism. I can't help but be impressed by the man.

      Delete
    5. Interesting question, Stanley. I don't know much about later Classical writers. Horace wrote poetry about his experiences and observations in later life. Marcus Aurelius wrote the "Meditations" as an exploration of stoicism on his own life. But not sure if they come up to the same level of self-examination and autobiography as Augustine.

      Delete
    6. Stanley, I agree with you about credit where credit is due. I remember reading somewhere that Augustine is considered the first modern autobiographer, referring to style rather than date. He pretty much lays it all out there.

      Delete
    7. Yes, interesting question. We leave tomorrow for Colorado for a week. Thanks to this discussion I just downloaded the Confessions to my iPad to read on the plane. I never got very far when I tried to read it years ago. If I’m trapped in a flying metal tube for hours, I might get a bit farther.

      Delete
  3. This account is hard for us to understand in the present day.

    I am shocked by it! It seems heartless for Augustine to send her away just to satisfy his mother's desire for him to have a "proper" marriage, which never came about. And then to take up with another concubine. Seems that if he really loved her that he would have remained faithful to her, especially since she pledged to remain faithful to him.

    It is also very interesting that there was no objection to Augustine going to communion while having a concubine as long as he had only one at a time! That seems to be similar to the practice of many people living together before marriage or having another civil marriage after being divorced.

    All of this just adds to my great skepticism about Augustine as a theologian. The Orthodox do not consider him a saint, some even think that he was a heretic.

    Roman Catholicism has been far too influenced by Augustine in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It is also very interesting that there was no objection to Augustine going to communion while having a concubine as long as he had only one at a time! That seems to be similar to the practice of many people living together before marriage or having another civil marriage after being divorced."
      Jack, yeah, that part jumped out at me too. Apparently gray areas in morality were recognized even back then.

      Delete
  4. As for Monica, like Jean I tend to give her some slack. Certainly, her efforts to convert Augustine seem praiseworthy. Interfering with their children's love lives is a common failing of parents. We also must recognize the strong role that aristocratic families played in Roman society. She was certainly looking out for her son's interests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack, what do the Orthodox think about Aquinas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aquinas was after the schism so he another schismatic like the rest of us. However, they consider Ambrose, Augustine's mentor a saint. Also Benedict.

      Delete
  6. Happy Palm Sunday! Early medieval northern Europeans did not have palms and may have used yew branches instead. Why yew? Because it was associated in pagan times with strength and immortality, and often used in making weapons. The branches from "Palm" Sunday were saved in order to ward off fire, lightning, storms, and other cataclysms. Another example of how pagan warrior tribes adapted to new ideas by using familiar symbols.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Palm Sunday! Interesting about the yew branches. I have also read that pussy willows, which would be out about now if we had had a warmer year, were used in some places.
      My grandma kept braided palms through the year as protection against lightning storms. Unfortunately I never learned how to braid them. But we keep our palms as sacramentals. My departed tomcat was very fascinated by the fresh palms and would try to eat them if I didn't put them away. In his younger days he broad jumped to the top of the piano to try and get the palms.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the pussywillow rings a bell.

      My older cat Flora can't get to the palms any more, but she knows when a new batch comes in and yowls at the vase I keep them in. I suppose I should take them to the Church Ladies for ashes, but I have many years worth of fronds all drying together in it, and I like having them around.

      Delete
  7. Is “Happy” really appropriate for Palm Sunday? My least favorite liturgy of the entire year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is appropriate to read the Passion narratives during holy week, but I dislike the way it is done where the congregation has to speak the ugly parts of it, such as "crucify him!" and "give us Barabas!". Well I guess most of it is ugly, but it is the way it was.
      I do like to sing " All Glory Laud and Honor" . I like the red vestments.
      I do think the homilists get it wrong when they dwell on the fickleness of the crowd. On Sunday they are lauding Jesus as the King of Kings, and on Friday they were shouting "Crucify him!". If you read the scriptures carefully, they were different bunches of people.

      Delete
    2. I am remembering this version of Pueri Haebraeorum from high school: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7GQJK4PNiM
      English translation, "The children of the Hebrews, bearing olive branches, and singing Hosanna in the highest! "
      A little too complicated for church use though.
      I used to have to stop my kids from sword fighting with their palms.

      Delete
    3. We hadn’t been to a Palm Sunday liturgy in years, but my husband wanted to go today. I did not, but decided that if he wanted to go, I would go along with it. It’s a new church that we have been testing out. There was no homily at all, just the long reading with the congregation cast as the blood thirsty crowd, as usual. I didn’t miss having a homily.

      Delete
    4. Raber went to Palm Sunday Mass.

      Like me, he feels that the reading of the Passion on Palm Sunday and the weirdness of the Thursday foot-washing breaks up the flow of Holy Week's five-act drama--triumphal arrival in Jerusalem, sweating blood in the garden/tenebrae, Crucifixion, harrowing of Hell, Resurrection.

      "But I gotta go if I want the palms." So he went.

      Delete
  8. Off topic. Jim has often lamented the popularity of non- church weddings. I just read that DeSantis and his wife not only got married at Disney World ( with whom he is at war. But he lost the latest skirmish), but that the officiant was a Catholic priest from Ohio.
    Now how did that happen? Or was it not an official, sacramental Catholic marriage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's probably wiggle room with the location. Especially if you're Famous People.
      I know of one couple who got married on a beach in Hawaii. It irritated their older Catholic relatives, who didn't go. Turned out they actually had a quiet church ceremony prior with just the parents. It would have made sense for them to tell people that the beach thing was a celebration rather than the actual wedding.
      I find expensive showy extravaganza weddings annoying. But if a couple wants to get married in a park or something, I think the church ought to allow it. I read about one couple in Omaha who had their wedding in a cemetery chapel. Different, but people can't say it was irreverent.

      Delete
    2. Well, he wasn’t famous then. He was still in the Navy.,
      A cemetery chapel???

      Delete
    3. The chapel in question was sort of a historic place, done in an art deco style. Never been there, but I understand it's very pretty.

      Delete
    4. The most fun wedding we ever went to was in a county park on a perfect fall day. There was a large, log cabin type building if the weather hadn’t cooperated. The groom was Jewish, the bride Catholic, and the marriage ceremony was conducted by a Jewish cantor and one of the parish priests under a chuppa. They also had other traditional parts of a Jewish wedding such as the groom breaking the glass and everyone dancing to the hava nagila. Everyone was dressed up. But after the ceremony everyone changed clothes ( instructions in the wedding invitation to bring casual clothing);for the wedding celebration softball game and the catered barbecue. The bride was a neighbor, and this couple just celebrated their 30th anniversary. A great wedding and celebration.

      Delete
    5. Weddings are turning into orgies of sex, booze, food, clothes, exotic destinations, and major meltdowns by bratty Bridezillas.

      A week before the wedding, couples should be shown videos of married people coping with a spouse with dementia, on hospice, in court custody battles, trying to find day care, rushing a kid to the ER, and caring for a special needs child.

      Then they should be sent away for a week to contemplate the enormity of their vows.

      Let them party if they still feel like it after that.

      Only half joking ...

      Delete
    6. In the Orthodox wedding liturgy couples have crowns held over their heads. But they are the crowns of martyrdom!

      Delete