Sunday, March 26, 2023

The case against sending humans to Mars



This article, Mars Sux? - by Jonathan V. Last - The Triad (thebulwark.com), popped up in my e-mail yesterday, and it pretty well sums up how I feel about the goal of manned missions to Mars. I have long felt that to pursue that goal is a waste of money and resources, and is indulging a vain hope that humans could ever live on the red planet. The author of the Bulwark article, Jonathan V. Last, quotes extensively from essayist Maciej Ceglowski to make his case.  From the article:

Here JVL is quoting from Ceglowski:

"The goal of this essay is to persuade you that we shouldn’t send human beings to Mars, at least not anytime soon. Landing on Mars with existing technology would be a destructive, wasteful stunt whose only legacy would be to ruin the greatest natural history experiment in the Solar System. It would no more open a new era of spaceflight than a Phoenician sailor crossing the Atlantic in 500 B.C. would have opened up the New World...."

"Sticking a flag in the Martian dust would cost something north of half a trillion dollars, with no realistic prospect of landing before 2050. To borrow a quote from John Young, keeping such a program funded through fifteen consecutive Congresses would require a series “of continuous miracles, interspersed with acts of God”. Like the Space Shuttle and Space Station before it, the Mars program would exist in a state of permanent redesign by budget committee until any logic or sense in the original proposal had been wrung out of it. . . ."

"How long such a program could last is anyone’s guess. But if landing on the Moon taught us anything, it’s that taxpayer enthusiasm for rock collecting has hard limits. At ~$100B per mission, and with launch windows to Mars one election cycle apart, NASA would be playing a form of programmatic Russian roulette. It’s hard to imagine landings going past the single digits before cost or an accident shut the program down. And once the rockets had retired to their museums, humanity would have nothing to show for its Mars adventure except some rocks and a bunch of unspeakably angry astrobiologists. It would in every way be the opposite of exploration."

Ceglowski contends:  contends "...that there is nothing humans could achieve on Mars that could not be done both better and more cost-effectively by robots. And also that the recent discovery of Earth’s deep biosphere makes our home planet infinitely more interesting:

"When new sequencing technology became available at the turn of the century, it showed the number of [microbe] species might be as high as one trillion. In the genomic gold rush that followed, researchers discovered not just dozens of unsuspected microbial phyla, but two entire new branches of life."

"These new techniques confirmed that earth’s crust is inhabited to a depth of kilometers by a ‘deep biosphere’ of slow-living microbes nourished by geochemical processes and radioactive decay. One group of microbes was discovered still living their best lives 100 million years after being sealed in sedimentary rock. Another was found enjoying a rewarding, long-term relationship with fungal partners deep beneath the seafloor. This underground ecology, which we have barely started to explore, might account for a third of the biomass on earth."

"At this point, it is hard to not find life on Earth. Microbes have been discovered living in cloud tops, inside nuclear reactor cores, and in aerosols high in the stratosphere. Bacteria not only stay viable for years on the space station hull, but sometimes do better out there than inside the spacecraft. Environments long thought to be sterile, like anoxic brines at the bottom of the Mediterranean sea, are in fact as rich in microbial life as a gas station hot dog. Even microbes trapped for millions of years in salt crystals or Antarctic ice have shown they can wake up and get back to metabolizing without so much as a cup of coffee."

From JVL: "And because we don’t understand microbes especially well, Cegłowski thinks we ought to be really worried about dropping them off on an alien planet. But all of that pales next to the opportunity cost: NASA spent more on their Moon and Mars programs in 2022 than the total budget of the National Science Foundation. And in 2024, they plan to start launching pieces of a new space station, the Gateway, which by the laws of orbital bureaucracy will lock us in to decades of having to invent reasons to go visit the thing."

"Somehow we’ve embarked on the biggest project in history even though it has no articulable purpose, offers no benefits, and will cost taxpayers more than a good-sized war. . . . And yet this project has sailed through an otherwise gridlocked system with the effortlessness of a Pentagon budget. Presidents of both parties now make landing on Mars an official goal of US space policy. Even billionaires who made their fortune automating labor on Earth agree that Mars must be artisanally explored by hand."

From JVL:  "The whole thing is getting weird. Cegłowski thinks that this weirdness stems from the reality that our Mars obsession has become a form of religion. It is—this man is a deeply funny writer—a “faith-based initiative.”

"It is part of a transhumanist worldview that holds mankind must either spread to the stars or die. Elon Musk, the Martian spiritual leader, has talked about the need to “preserve the light of consciousness” by making us a multiplanetary species. As he sees it, Mars is our only way off of a planet crawling with existential risk. And it's not just enough to explore mars; we have make it a backup for all civilization. Failing to stock it with subsistence farming incels would be tantamount to humanity lying down in its open grave."

The whole article is interesting and worth a read.  I feel that sometimes people are mixing up the real planet Mars and its place in the solar system with the sci-fi fantasy Mars that everyone grew up reading about and watching movies about.  I did my share of reading sci-fi about Mars (and Venus, and magic Goldilocks planets in unknown galaxies) in my youth.  My favorite was Ray Bradbury's  The Martian Chronicles.   It was a collection of short stories which were commentaries on the human condition more than a discussion of actual space exploration.

37 comments:

  1. I can understand his wanting to kill manned Mars exploration versus addressing many other earthbound problems. But c'mon. He only indirectly addresses the big flatulent elephant in the living room, military spending. NASA's 2022 budget was 26B USD. Military spending is around 850B USD, around 30 times as much.
    I would agree that the ROI for manned exploration of Mars is not good. I think establishing a Moon base is better and then consider manned Mars landings. Also, competition among countries is expensive. Dividing the expense among the large economies would make the cost less prohibitive.
    But, it is crazy to think a Mars colony can be established at this time or in the near future. We only have a toehold in Antarctica, and at least Antarctica has air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read one commentary which said it would be a hundred times easier to build New York City on Antarctica that for humans to live on Mars. Except everyone understands why it wouldn't be a good idea to try to build a city on Antarctica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should let the billionaires fund it, and be the first to go on the mission, as long as they understand we might not want them back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'd be willing to let Elon Musk stay there.

      Delete
    2. Elon wants to build a "utopia" in Texas, company housing, company stores, etc. People there have been hostile to the idea, citing mining company towns where workers "owe their souls to the company store." A nut with too much money can do more damage than a nut with a gun.

      Delete
  4. About that Ray Bradbury book of Martian short stories, the original library copy I read had a story about a priest who went to Mars hoping to do missionary work. He encountered beings who were orbs of light, who didn't have original sin. Later I bought a paperback copy of the book. That story had been redacted. Always wondered why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By redacted, do you mean someone had torn or blottedit out? Or it just wasn't included. Interesting. I believe that different editions had different stories. They were written at different times. So it's possible that story had not yet been written yet or was published as a standalone and added to the collection later.

      Delete
    2. I meant it just wasn't included in the paperback version. I suppose like you said it could have been an earlier version, since I got it secondhand.

      Delete
    3. The history of that book is kind of interesting. I think it was comprised of stories written over a long period, and different editions had new stories or stories that were omitted because they were not considered "relevant." Some of the stories didn't quite fit together and were "harmonized" in later editions.

      Delete
    4. Written around 1948, I found the stories remarkably critical of American aggression and exploitiveness. The themes of destruction of native cultures via disease and destruction of the environment via exploitation seemed rather prescient for the time. There's a spiritual philosophy that runs in the background as well.
      I thought the 1980 miniseries based on the stories rather well done. Two priests were among the characters, played by Fritz Weaver and Roddy McDowell. Sounds like the redacted story made the cut in the miniseries.
      Bradbury wrote the screenplay for John Huston's "Moby Dick". He wrote of being bullied by the testosterone soaked Huston.

      Delete
    5. I have reread it many times for its depth and imagination.

      Delete
    6. I didn't know it had been made into a miniseries. I'll have to look around and see if it is available somewhere.

      Delete
  5. I dunno. I want to see what's on Mars. If they wanted a writer to go and describe it and never come back, I would volunteer.

    I get that we have a lot of problems that need money and attention on our Home Planet. But I don't see fixing problems and exploring space as mutually exclusive propositions.

    The moon shot helped bring people together. Pictures of and from the Moon sparked some increased ecological awareness after 1968 by showcasing the sterility of space and the fragility of Earth.

    Without curiosity and a thirst to understand things, humankind would be sorta impoverished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to the Imax movie that was made from NASA footage (I think Explorer was the vehicle?). That was quite an experience, the Imax movies make you feel like you're flying. But it all looked pretty desolate. I'm not against exploration of Mars, I just think it could be done with robots, without the concern of life support.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes when I am depressed I go look at the rover photos. https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/images

      It takes me out of myself in the same way looking at the Moon thru the telescope does. There's a place God made that we have not screwed up.

      Establishing a colony with the idea of terra-forming it sounds dreadful. But visiting (sans planting flags, ugh) piques my imagination.

      Delete
    3. That's right, it was Rover rather than Explorer that had all the photo footage.
      For some reason I connected with the moon mission more than Mars. I loved the picture of earth from the moon.

      Delete
    4. Has anyone read CS Lewis’s Space trilogy?

      Delete
    5. Haven't read Space Trilogy. Did you like it?

      Delete
    6. I only read book 2 - when I was about 13. I don’t remember much. But it was about Venus ( Perelandra) and the only two people who lived there. A male and a female. They had not yet disobeyed God, or whoever was their God character.. There was some kind of struggle between the visitor and the devil character. I think the visitor was trying to prevent a Fall, like the one on earth. I’m not fond of science fiction so I don’t remember much. This is sci fiction mixed with religion. I may have read the first book too, but I’m not sure. I just remember the name of the planet - Perelandra, the title of book 2. Jean’s comment about seeing Mars, a place that we haven’t messed up, made me think of it.

      Delete
    7. Jean, the photos coming from the recently activated James Webb telescope are breathtaking. No planetary surfaces, but incredible photos of the universe. Thé astronomers are amazed, and shocked and apparently a lot of theories about the origins and nature of the universe are being shaken up again and new theories being created and tested against what they are learning from these images.

      Delete
    8. Vague recollection of the Lewis thing. The book catalogues a lot of planets where people were prettier, smarter, and nicer than us, but somehow they all went to pot. But we Earthlings had spunk, I guess, and so we were chosen to be saved, despite being the unworthiest creatures in the universe. I think there were angels in it, who were portrayed as cosmic narcs, constantly squealing to God about our shortcomings.

      It's been decades, though. A Methodist friend urged me to read it and "The Screwtape Letters" back in college when I was "seeking." She seemed to think everything would just fall into place when I read them. They just struck me as nightmares that Lewis dreamed up to scare children. Certainly they will not go down in the annals of classic Christian allegory.

      Delete
    9. I especially liked Lewis' depiction of Mars, with three totally different sapient species that managed to get along. An allegory that is useful considering how members of a species with 0.1% genetic variance manages to fight among themselves based on superficial differences.

      Delete
    10. Regarding the original topic, I hope that at some time in the future, we can establish a biosphere and human presence on Mars or even Venus. But that would require new technologies, probably genetic engineering of the settlers and a millenia spanning commitment to terraforming. With our record on addressing climate change, I'd say the latter is the biggest stumbling block.
      Mars may have been more habitable by humans in its distant past but the shutdown of vulcanism and the collapse of the magnetic field with subsequent loss of atmosphere made it the hostile environment it is today.
      My guess is that the best ROI for space exploration would come from asteroid mining. But formidable barriers lie there as well.

      Delete
    11. Well, I guess that trilogy isn’t among Lewis’s greatest hits. I had trouble even finding it when I googled Perelandra, which was the only thing that I remembered about it. The trilogy doesn’t appear in several of the lists of Lewis’s books. I did love the Narnia books though, which I read with my sons. They also loved them. I had mixed feelings about Mere Christianity. Surprised by Joy, and a couple of his others.

      Delete
    12. My favorite book about CS Lewis was not actually written by him; it was a biography. The part that drew me in was the story of his falling in love and marrying his wife, Joy. It is coincidental that his book "Surprised by Joy" was written before he ever met her. She was a cancer survivor, had been married previously, and had children who were not yet grown up. But this didn't stop him from loving her. Sadly, ultimately the cancer took her life.

      Delete
    13. Not a Lewis fan. But I have heard that "Shadowlands," about his marriage to Joy Gresham, is very good. Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger.

      "A Most Reluctant Convert" came out in 2021 about his conversion to Christianity. Raber said, "Look! They made a movie about you!"

      I told him he could enjoy seeing that with his second wife ...

      Delete
    14. I saw Shadowlands, thought it was good.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Needed that laugh this morning. Thanks, David :)

      Delete
    2. LOL, not only diving boards but canals!

      Delete
  7. I was very interested in science and math in high school. I got my telescope then. When I entered the Jesuit novitiate, I envisioned myself as teaching science or math at a Jesuit college or university.

    Even my first year of college at Wheeling Jesuit did not change that idea very much. I registered as a math major, mainly so that I could take all the difficult first year science and math courses
    .
    But when I went to Saint John’s University my prior prejudices against the humanities vanished. My major was English. I never had any intention in getting a doctorate in the humanities. It was during that period that I read science fiction. Maybe that was a way of saying goodbye to the natural sciences.

    Although my Catholic college had few resources in the social sciences, I had decided they were the way to combine my analytical and theoretic interests with the study of people. Besides it was much easier to write papers than to write books. I also liked the premise that if you have the data, people can’t so easily dismiss your ideas.

    I am almost sure I read Martian Chronicles, but I remember almost nothing. I am sure the only thing of C.S. Lewis that I read was Screwtape Letters.

    Once we got to the moon, I lost most my interest in the space program. There is so much to study and understand here on earth, that I see little reason to study the other planets. I do agree that we should be spending our money on science rather than on making weapons.

    Perhaps if we learn enough from studying our own earth to save us from ourselves, then maybe we will be able to make Mars and Venus habitable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes against my sense of cosmic justice that we would be allowed to move on to screw up other planets after we've wrecked this one. But I do think that space exploration teaches us things that might be useful here.

      Delete
    2. Maybe there are cosmic space police whose prime directive is that a species cannot mess up more than its own planet. That might make for an interesting science fiction series.

      Delete
    3. Even if terraforming proved possible, it would take millenia. Even a damaged earth would be more habitable than the other planets.
      As far as cosmic police is concerned, this was touched upon in "The Day the Earth Stood Still", the 1950 original film.

      Delete
  8. Breaking news - the moon is easier to exploit

    https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiZ2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmFsamF6ZWVyYS5jb20vbmV3cy8yMDIzLzMvMjcvc2NpZW50aXN0cy1maW5kLXdhdGVyLWluc2lkZS1nbGFzcy1iZWFkcy1zY2F0dGVyZWQtYWNyb3NzLW1vb27SAWtodHRwczovL3d3dy5hbGphemVlcmEuY29tL2FtcC9uZXdzLzIwMjMvMy8yNy9zY2llbnRpc3RzLWZpbmQtd2F0ZXItaW5zaWRlLWdsYXNzLWJlYWRzLXNjYXR0ZXJlZC1hY3Jvc3MtbW9vbg?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Al Jazeera video was very interesting. I had thought they discontinued their English language broadcasts, good to know they're still doing it. What impressed me is that the Artemis program seems to be a collaborative effort, with public and private, and international cooperation. Maybe the space program is something that can bridge some of the divisions that we seem to have so many of. However when one of the speakers was talking about the timeline of the program, he indirectly alluded to the fact that politics is going to play a role. Another reason, if we needed one, to elect people who aren't mentally disturbed sociopaths.

      Delete