Friday, February 17, 2023

Cheater lasagna

In a recent conversation, Stanley invoked lasagna and drew some enthusiastic responses.  I make lasagna, and it's pretty good.  But if you're a lasagna purist, it's emphatically not real lasagna.  Even if you're into stuffed shells or cannelloni, it's not really those, either.  But it's relatively quick and easy, and it's good.  It's meatless, so it works for Fridays during Lent, too.   Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

8 lasagna noodles

1 egg

1 16 oz. tub ricotta cheese

1 8 oz. package shredded mozzarella cheese

1 1/2 cups ground parmesan cheese (we buy the wedges and grind our own in a food processor)

1 clove garlic

1 Tbs finely chopped onion

1/8 tsp nutmeg

Black pepper to taste

1 jar pasta sauce (we like Mid's brand - it's a bit more seasoned, and the jar is a little bigger, than Ragu or Prego)

Directions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

2.  Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions.  Drain and rinse in cold water (because you'll need to be able to handle them)

3.  While the water is heating and the noodles are boiling, prepare the filling: in a large bowl, beat the egg slightly with a whisk or fork.  Add the ricotta cheese, half the package of mozzarella cheese and 3/4 cup parmesan cheese.  Add the onion.  Use a garlic press to add the clove of garlic.  Add the nutmeg and pepper.  Use a mixing spoon or your hands to combine it all until it's well-mixed and consistent.

4.  Prepare the pan: spray the bottom and sides of a 12 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray.  Pour half (or a bit less) the jar of sauce into the bottom of the pan, and spread it to coat the bottom evenly.

5.  Assemble the dish: cut each noodle in half (crosswise, not lengthwise).  One at a time, lay each half-noodle flat on a cutting board or similar flat surface.  Put a dollop of the filling (approx. 1/3 cup, but I just use a soup spoon) at one end of the half-noodle.  Roll up the half-noodle to form a tube shape, with the filling stuffed inside.  Place the tube, seam side down, in the baking dish, with the tube parallel to the sides of the baking dish (open sides of the tube facing the ends of the baking dish).  You'll do this 16 times, and will end up with a 4x4 grid of tubes filling the pan.

6.  Pour the remaining pasta sauce over the top, and spread it evenly over the tops of the tubes.  Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.

7.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes

8.  Remove the pan from the oven, and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the top.  Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is melty.  Enjoy!

 

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that, Jean. Going to try it. I always have trouble with lasagne turning out too runny. It seems like rolling it up like that might avoid the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Jim's recipe. I use the oven-ready lasagne noodles laid flat in the baking dish. They soak up the sauce so end result is less runny but less pretty than the tubes.

      I make my own tomato sauce to keep salt content down:

      Brown 3-4 garlic cloves in olive oil in large skillet.

      Add 1-2 tsp dried red pepper flakes and 2 tsp capers. Stir for just a minute or two.

      Add 28 oz can no salt crushed tomatoes.

      Simmer and stir for about 20 minutes, until tomatoes have cooked down a bit.

      You can also throw in a few pinches of dried Italian herbs and/or sauteed mushrooms if you want, but I like it simple.

      Delete
    2. I used to have a vegetarian recipe for lasagne with ricotta, raisins, and spinach. Raber hated it, but I would sometimes make it for The Boy and me if Raber was away.

      Delete
    3. I've made one with spinach. Have never tried adding raisins, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, to add a little sweetness.

      Delete
  2. Looks good. My friend Lou gave me his recipe for marinara sauce which I use for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, your recipe sounds wonderful - but perhaps a rare treat? The fat and cholesterol with all that cheese is pretty high. It’s also not a recipe for people like me, with lactose intolerance. Although Lactaid helps.

    I don’t make lasagne - too much work. But I do cook pasta frequently, often served with a primavera sauce of diced, fresh tomatoes, or no salt added canned, diced tomatoes, diced onions, fresh diced vegetables ( zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, whatever you have);some minced garlic, Italian herbs like basil and oregano - fresh in the summer when I grow them in pots, all sautéed together lightly in olive oil. I top it all with freshly grated Parmesan. My husband is on a low sodium diet, so I cook almost everything from scratch.

    Since it’s also meatless, good for lent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off topic: Prayers for Auxiliary Bishop David O'Connell, shot dead on an LA street. He worked with migrants and the poor. See story this morning in Wash Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw another story somewhere that said he was found in his home.

      Delete
    2. ...but very little information has been released by police.

      Delete
    3. I took an immediate interest in the story when I read where he lives. First, every shooting death is a horror story, but I am also even more I shocked because I am very familiar with the neighborhood. A very nice neighborhood. The police have made an arrest. He was found shot to death in his bed.

      I have mentioned my friend who taught deacon classes. She lived about 1/2 mile away from him. Her kids went to the high school a block or so from his house and my friend and her family were members of the parish that is a couple of blocks from his house. She also worked for the Archdiocese for years in the Office for Worship. They lived in that neighborhood for more than 30 years, before moving a few years ago to be a bit closer to their children and grandchildren. They stayed in the parish (St John Vianney) for about 5 years after moving before joining a parish closer to their new home. However, although AB O’Connell lived very close to St John Vianney, it wasn’t his own parish. I suspect she knew him. One story mentioned that he had helped pull the St John Vianney parish together after it burned in a fire set by an arsonist. My friend was still there then and was heavily involved with planning the rebuilding of the church, I’m going to call her later. He sounded like the kind of person, the kind of bishop, the RCC needs more of. I hope there isn’t a scandal of some sort that motivated this.

      Delete
    4. "I hope there isn’t a scandal of some sort that motivated this"

      Same.

      Delete
    5. I just read on the Los Angeles Times site that an arrest had been made. Apparently that was after the suspect had barricaded himself and a SWAT team had been involved.

      Delete
    6. Apparently the wife of the man arrested worked for the bishop and had a key. A housekeeper maybe. According to the New York Post ( how reliable? )she took care of the bishops dog and had worked for him for ten or so years.No signs of forced entry. The suspect was arrested in Torrance, a town that is almost an hour away from the bishops house. Seems odd- I guess the police will be having a press conference later today

      Delete
  5. Jim, he was apparently the real deal. A good guy.

    I texted my friend today. As I suspected, she did know him. This is what she said

    He was a lovely caring human being and much loved by so many. …. Kind gentle wise smart. Gentle loving generous. I could go on and on. A deeply saddening loss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for all here as they begin the season of Lent.

    ReplyDelete