Saturday, January 7, 2023

Funerals, Eulogies & Benedict UPDATED!

The death of Benedict started an immediate speculative conflict about whether or not Benedict would be given a funeral appropriate to a pope since he was now the emeritus Pope or the emeritus Bishop of Rome. 

George Weigel is not someone whom I usually read. He is infamous for his review of one of Pope Benedict's encyclicals in which he put in gold all the words he agreed with (which were obviously the mind of Benedict) and in red all the words he disagreed with) which were obviously the work of some Curia hack. An outstanding example on cafeteria Catholicism!

However, his review of the Funeral rites gets it right

On the Funeral Liturgy and Homily


So I found it appropriate that the funeral Mass for the late Pope Emeritus was characterized by what seemed to me noble simplicity, albeit noble simplicity amplified by the participation of thousands of concelebrants. That the liturgy was conducted primarily in Latin was also in accord with the teaching of Sacrosanctum Concilium, and in this instance at least the Latin served as a universal language for a Mass in which the entire world Church was represented. Thus the Latin response, Te rogamus audi nos, sung by the congregation, tied together the general intercessions prayed in German, French, Arabic, Portuguese, and Italian. 

In the hours after the funeral Mass, criticism of the brevity of Pope Francis’s homily reverberated throughout the Twitterverse and Catholic blogosphere. I can’t agree. All papal events (liturgical and otherwise) must now be conducted in two hours or less, given the pope’s poor health. Catholic funeral Masses are not supposed to include eulogies (a proscription often ignored in U.S. parishes). 

The logic of the proscription makes considerable theological sense: A eulogy, summarizing the past, is out of place in a Mass of Christian Burial that is liturgically focused on the future, both the future of the soul for whom we beg eternal rest in the light and life of the Trinity, and the eschatological future when Christ returns in glory and the dead in Christ are raised to a new and superabundant form of life, as previewed in the Lord’s Resurrection and Our Lady’s Assumption.

America has a fine article on the eulogy/homily issue in funerals

 Eulogy vs. homily: When should you talk about the deceased in a Catholic funeral?

A big part of the problem when it comes to planning for eulogies is that the funeral liturgy was not designed with them in mind. As H. Richard Rutherford, C.S.C., professor emeritus of liturgical theology at the University of Portland describes, the funeral services were originally designed as a set of three rituals, each of which had a different function in the journey of the deceased from death into eternal life. The vigil or wake came first, and it “was the time to focus on the dead person,” Father Rutherford explains. “In the classic tradition, it was the place where eulogies would happen.”

Then came the funeral Mass, which Father Rutherford says “is not so much what the dead person has done, but what God has done [in their lives] and is now doing, calling them to salvation.” The homily is not meant to remind us of the achievements of the dead, but of the loving welcome of God. Then the burial or committal emphasizes the afterlife.
The problems with the template for the liturgy are practical in my opinion.

Ideally the wake is the place for eulogies. It works if it mainly consists of the family, and if the pastoral assistance in planning for it recognizes the primacy of the family rather than attempting to impose some model upon the wake.

My parents wanted very simple funerals. The wake to be a family- and- close- friends only event lasting a few hours; the funeral to be a public event. Mom and Dad did not have much of a public face, so there was no public that needed a eulogy. All the well-speaking about them could be done within the family and friends gathered at the wake.

The funeral of a member of our Cleveland Commonweal Local Communities was a very different matter. He did have a public face. He was an emeritus professor of a local Catholic high school, and his funeral was celebrated in their chapel not a parish church. He had also taught in local colleges, was devoted to Merton, was an associate of a Trappist monastery, and also practiced Zen Buddhism. His adopted daughter with whom he lived was Asian married to an African American. Not a typical parish member. 

Everyone in his family and friends knew that Wayne loved the CLC. In fact, we held a meeting in his home the night before he passed. So, we were asked to participate in his wake by doing one of the readings. I suggested an alternative. Betty and I would lead Vespers for the Dead at the conclusion of the wake. That was accepted by the family and priest. So, we were able to witness Wayne's CLC connection, his Merton-Trappist connection all at one time.

At the funeral his two grand daughters, beautiful intelligent young Black women, witnessed how his interests played out in his family life.  A woman faculty member, a Buddhist witnessed how his interests played out in her life and in academia. So, by the time Mass began, most of us had a far greater idea of the breadth of his life and interests than we had before. We began to see Wayne through each other's eyes, we had begun experience the total community that Wayne had experienced. 

So, in the case of people with a public identity beyond their family we need to celebrate that not only during the Wake the night before but also before the Mass. If necessary, we should even conduct a service, e.g. Morning Prayer, and have hymns, readings and eulogies before the Mass.  They are all community forming.

Finally, I think there is room for a post internment, or post Mass agape, especially if the person has a public identity. There was one at Wayne's home. It was helpful to meet some of the other people in his life. 

Sometimes these might become periodic mourning events for the family and friends. The Buddhism faculty member expressed some interest in our CLC. Nothing came of it but the potential was there. If we had met in Wayne's home more than once and had come to know his family better, it might have been natural to do that again.  Wayne's death opened my eyes to the possible pastoral dimensions of associations such Commonweal Local Communities and more recently of associations that pray the Hours.

 UPDATE

FULL TEXT: Pope Francis’ homily at Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI’s funeral Mass

“Father, into your hands I commend my spirit” (Lk 23:46). These were the final words spoken by the Lord on the cross; his last breath, as it were, which summed up what had been his entire life: a ceaseless self-entrustment into the hands of his Father..... 

“Father into your hands I commend my spirit.” This is the invitation and the programme of life that he quietly inspires in us. Like a potter (cf. Is 29:16), he wishes to shape the heart of every pastor, until it is attuned to the heart of Christ Jesus (cf. Phil 2:5)....

Attuned in prayerful devotion, a devotion silently shaped and refined amid the challenges and resistance that every pastor must face (cf. 1 Pet 1:6-7) in trusting obedience to the Lord’s command to feed his flock (cf. Jn 21:17 ). Like the Master, a shepherd bears the burden of interceding and the strain of anointing his people, especially in situations where goodness must struggle to prevail and the dignity of our brothers and sisters is threatened (cf. Heb 5:7-9). In the course of this intercession, the Lord quietly bestows the spirit of meekness that is ready to understand, accept, hope and risk, notwithstanding any misunderstandings that might result. It is the source of an unseen and elusive fruitfulness, born of his knowing the One in whom he has placed his trust (cf. 2 Tim 1:12). A trust itself born of prayer and adoration, capable of discerning what is expected of a pastor and shaping his heart and his decisions in accord with God’s good time (cf. Jn 21:18): “Feeding means loving, and loving also means being ready to suffer. Loving means giving the sheep what is truly good, the nourishment of God’s truth, of God’s word, the nourishment of his presence.”

Attuned also in devotion sustained by the consolation of the Spirit, who always precedes the pastor in his mission .....

Holding fast to the Lord’s last words and to the witness of his entire life, we too, as an ecclesial community, want to follow in his steps and to commend our brother into the hands of the Father. May those merciful hands find his lamp alight with the oil of the Gospel that he spread and testified to for his entire life (cf. Mt 25:6-7).

At the end of his Pastoral Rule, Saint Gregory the Great urged a friend to offer him this spiritual accompaniment: “Amid the shipwreck of the present life, sustain me, I beseech you, by the plank of your prayer, that, since my own weight sinks me down, the hand of your merit will raise me up.” Here we see the awareness of a pastor who cannot carry alone what in truth he could never carry alone, and can thus commend himself to the prayers and the care of the people entrusted to him. God’s faithful people, gathered here, now accompanies and entrusts to him the life of the one who was their pastor. Like the women at the tomb, we too have come with the fragrance of gratitude and the balm of hope, in order to show him once more the love that is undying. We want to do this with the same wisdom, tenderness, and devotion that he bestowed upon us over the years. Together, we want to say: “Father, into your hands we commend his spirit.”

Benedict, faithful friend of the Bridegroom, may your joy be complete as you hear his voice, now and forever!

My comment: I think Francis decided to give us a model for a homily for a cleric, even a prominent lay person, that avoids the clericalism (elitism) of focusing upon the person's accomplishments but rather on Jesus as a model for discipleship. It does not attempt to erase the cross in either the life of Jesus or his disciples.  

 

18 comments:

  1. I have to assume that Benedict made his wishes known as to how he wanted his funeral, and that his preferences were respected. And the ones who didn't think it was quite "good enough" really don't know what his instructions were.
    The custom here is to have a vigil service the evening before a (Catholic) funeral. It is often a rosary, or sometimes a Scripture based service. Lately some families have requested the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Usually the priest or deacon gives a short homily and there is an opportunity for friends and family to share memories.
    The Protestants have visitation the evening before, or the day of, a funeral, but usually there isn't a service or homily.
    The funeral itself is more formal, but most priests, especially if they knew the deceased, will include some personal notes, though the homily will be more focused on heaven and the resurrection.
    They weren't doing funeral luncheons during Covid restrictions, but now they are back to having them, and I think that is a good thing. Especially if some people came from a distance, the family doesn't have to worry about a meal, and people have a chance to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, not being especially interested in liturgy, much less all the seemingly arcane rules that are involved, especially for funerals, I have no opinion on when eulogies should be given.

    And, since I have no interest in celebrity funerals, I didn’t watch any of the coverage of Benedict’s funeral, just as I didn’t watch coverage of Queen Elizabeth’s funeral. I only remember bits of two funeral homilies I’ve heard in my life, not because they were edifying, but because they were the opposite, focused on sin and, with any luck, the deceased’s probable eventual acceptance into heaven. Awful! Now that I can’t hear, the only two funerals I’ve attended in the last five years were totally inintelligible to me so I don’t know what was said in the homilies. However, at the one I went to last summer, the elder son did give some kind of brief eulogy of his father. I couldn’t understand what he said but it was only 5 minutes or so. I don’t remember if it was before mass started or after it was finished. I think it was before. There was no wake or rosary, only the funeral mass. There was a reception after it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine The Protestants have visitation the evening before, or the day of, a funeral, but usually there isn't a service or homily.

    This is not my experience. But I have never been to a Baptist funeral. The funeral for the mother of evangelical friends was held in the church with the burial later for family. The church service was followed by a reception. There was nothing the night before the funeral service at the church.
    I have been to about 20 funerals in my life. The first was for my uncle, when I was 10 years old. Then my grandmother when I was 16. As an adult there were Catholic funerals for my parents, my brother, an aunt, and several friends, starting when I was in my 30s. My friend and roommate before I was married died of leukemia when she was 33. She was Catholic and the priest’s comments were so awful that my Protestant husband was horrified. The priest emphasized that she was a sinner. « But, don’t lose hope all of you who loved her ( including her young husband) - she’ll probably get to heaven after being purified in purgatory. » Her death was my first true understanding of the reality that all of us will die.

    Most of the Catholic funerals did not have a rosary or wake the night before. Maybe 3 or 4 did. There was mass, sometimes a trip to the cemetery for the final prayers, and almost always a reception of some kind after. But every Protestant funeral I’ve gone to except one also had a funeral service in the church, but no wake or service the night before. These were followed by a reception of some kind. The Jewish funerals I’ve gone to were at the cemetery with a rabbi or cantor leading the gravesite service. Then everyone present put one shovel of dirt onto the casket. These were followed by a home reception right after the burial, and the family would sit shiva at home for seven days following the burial. The rabbi also came to the house after the burial and led the prayers. The family provided prayer sheets for the non- Jewish mourners who wished to also say the prayers. The burial takes place within 24 hours of death unless it occurs right before the sabbath. Then the burial is the day after the sabbath. There is no embalming allowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About Protestant funerals, I meant that they usually didn't have a wake or vigil service, but they do have a service for the funeral.
      I've been to a bunch of Baptist or Presbyterian funerals, since that's what my mother's side were. For somber and decorous nobody beats the Lutherans, they all dress rather formally for funerals in dark colors, and nobody wears jeans.
      It might be a regional thing about the Catholic vigil services. Around here, about 95% of Catholic funerals have some type of vigil service. Some of them get a little carried away and have two or three of them (a rosary by the K of C, or Catholic Daughters, if they were members of those groups) in addition to the parish vigil.
      There have been a few funerals here, if the deceased had a Polish background, where someone played a polka on an accordion as the casket was being carried out of the church. Guess they wanted to go out dancing.

      Delete
    2. I’ve never been to any funeral where people wore jeans. Is that common where you are? People pretty much dressed up for all the funerals I’ve been to, no matter what the religious heritage, generally wearing black, navy blue or gray. Always subdued colors - and no jeans.

      Delete
    3. No accordions either. The only Polish Catholic I know ( besides my daughter in law's relatives in Poland who are probably atheist - as she is) is my husband’s (Protestant) cousin’s wife. She grew up in Chicago. At the funerals of a couple of friends who were career military officers there was a bugler who played taps. At one funeral there was a bagpiper at the entrance of the church. He didn’t play inside though.

      Delete
    4. Here they pretty much wear to funerals what they would wear to church. May or may not be black, may or may not be jeans. I personally try to dress a little more formally for a funeral. I wear jeans sometimes to daily Mass, but not on Sunday.
      For my brother in law's funeral in 2018 there was a bagpiper playing Amazing Grace at the cemetery.
      I have been to funerals of former military people where they had a twenty one gun salute. Which of course is seven (blank) shots, three times. I don't like it, it always makes me jump.

      Delete
    5. Interesting. So many regional differences. I wouldn’t like the 21 gun salutes either.

      Delete
  4. Only "celebrity" funeral I somewhat attended was JFK's. My mother and I took the train down from Philadelphia and stood in line for ten hours to walk by the coffin under the Capitol Building dome. It was an ordeal but I wanted to be there to pay my respects. It was like a personal loss to 15yo me at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stanley, I don't think I saw JFK's funeral, not even on TV. You and I are about the same age. Google says it was on a Monday, which was a school day in California. Plus we had minimal TV coverage in the mountains (the three networks - if we were lucky and the weather cooperated to let a signal through). And there was a 3 hour time difference. My mother wasn't a fan of JFK and didn't vote for him, which was the source of a lot of arguments with her own mother. My mom grew up in an Irish Catholic family of Democrats. At some point, apparently due to Pius XII's anti-communist crusade, she flipped to the GOP after voting for FDR three times. My grandmother was not happy with her vote against JFK. I doubt my mom would have even tried to adjust our antenna to bring in the funeral coverage of JFK. What I do remember is the newspaper photo of young John saluting.

    The only "celebrity" funeral I ever attended in person was that of Lou Costello (Abbot and Costello) who was a member of our parish. My sister was pretty good friends with his daughter, Carole. We went to his funeral mass. I don't remember it very well - I was a child, and the only thing that I remember about it was seeing a huge crowd of people outside the church. I was amazed. Admission was by invitation only and we were on the list, mostly because of my sister I guess. I watched news stories (brief ones on the evening news) about Princess Diana's funeral. Again, I was most moved by the sight of her sons walking behind the casket. Basically, I don't watch the funerals of people I don't know personally, not even on TV. I am amazed that you went to DC for JFK's funeral! I don't watch funerals or attend them if I don't know the person personally. Not popes, not royalty, not presidents, not movie stars. Except for one comedian who was popular a very long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, because my parents were Goldwater Republicans, but we did watch Kennedy's funeral. School was cancelled for that day. My paternal grandmother was a big Kennedy fan (and before that, FDR). Mostly she and Mom didn't talk about politics with each other.

      Delete
    2. Anne, my family was totally Democratic back then and had a lot of emotional investment in Kennedy. He was a hero of my youth (in my old age, I no longer really have heroes). The family are almost all superconservatives now. I was glad to have participated in a small way in that national trauma. I know some people hated Kennedy. I went after a guy in high school who mocked my grief over Kennedy but was grabbed by some mates. I certainly didn't celebrate the assassination attempts on Ford and Reagan and I wouldn't have mocked their mourners had the attempts been successful.

      Delete
    3. My mom wasn’t a fan of JFK, but she certainly didn’t celebrate his murder! She thought it was terrible. My hero at that age was Dr. Thomas Dooley. I cried when he died. Now we are told that he invented some of the stories in his books about atrocities in Viêt Nam as part of a CIA disinformation campaign.

      Delete
  6. Apropos of funerals, we watch a lot of British tv series, mostly on Acorn. I have noticed that when a funeral is depicted, it's usually a lovely C of E service, with bits and pieces from the Book of Common Prayer. The songs are usually "The Day Thou Gavest" and "Jerusalem". It shows the congregation singing along. Burial is usually in a verdant churchyard, with moss covered grave-stones. I'm pretty sure reality is somewhat different. The Brits are even less religious as a society than we are, and a lot of them likely haven't been inside a church since they were christened, if then. But for tv it makes good pageantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same with weddings - they're usually in pretty, rural village churches. Last night, we watched the first episode of the new season of "All Creatures Great and Small". Spoiler Alert: it was James's and Helen's wedding. I found myself surprisingly moved by their vows of lifelong love and fidelity.

      One thing about the Acorn fare, whether it's from James Herriot's memoirs or an Agatha Christie novel: it usually takes place in the previous century.

      Delete
    2. Well, since most of England looks like a travel poster, and every charming village has a charming old church, who can blame the TV producers for taking advantage of the charm that surrounds them?

      Delete
    3. Jim, thanks for the spoiler. I haven't been keeping up with the new "All Creatures". Now I can just go to the new season and watch the wedding. I already know what went before.
      Anne, right. If you can't go to England, Brit tv is the next best thing!

      Delete