Monday, September 5, 2022

Sad News About Jim McCrea (Jimmy Mac)

Those of us who took part in Jim McCrea's e-mail forum received the following very sad message today. Jim posted on the Commonweal blog and later here on NewGathering under the name Jimmy Mac. To those of us who shared Jim's interests and concerns about the Catholic Church—particularly how it affects the lives of members of the LGBT community—the information Jim shared (and his own voice) were very valuable. This is a real loss. 

Dear Good Friends of Jim McCrea, 

This is Gregory Jurin, husband of Jim.  Jim as been ill the past 3 weeks and hospitalized.  It is in grief and prayer that I am writing to let you know that Jim passed away last Thursday, September 1st after a six month battle with kidney and lung cancer one month short of his 82nd birthday.
 
Jim's decline was so sudden that his passing caught all but God unaware.
 
There was a special intention Sunday Mass at St. John of God Church in San Francisco yesterday. It was rewarding and comforting to honor him among friends. There will be funerals celebrating Jim's life both in Oakland, California, possibly near the end of September, and in Cuba City, Wisconsin, his hometown, perhaps in early October.   I will let you know as plans are in place.
 
Jim was passionate about many things, certainly about the Church and society, but nothing more than about the friends of his long life. He nurtured and cherished each friendship, often over decades.
 
Thank you for enriching Jim's life with yours.  Thank you for your prayers - past, now, and future. 
 
You may forward this e-mail to people that would like to know about Jim's passing.
 
In Christ's love,
 
Gregory Jurin
1311 Grand Avenue
Piedmont, CA 94610-1019
My cell: 510-410-3181

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this, David. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not noticed any Jimmy Mac comments here for a while. I was aware of the e-mail forum but never became part of it because I have trouble following e-mail forums. I like the blog format much better than the e-mail format.

    I think some others here have participated in his e-mail forum. I would be interested in how it compares and contrasts with this forum, especially what might be the advantages and disadvantages of each type.

    Thanks for posting this notice. My condolences to all those who were involved in his e-mail forum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, I was amazed at how widely Jim McCrea read, and was grateful to him for sharing many articles in his email chain which would have been behind a pay wall if I had tried to access them on my own. I'm pretty sure there would be copyright issues if one were to do that on a blog which is open to the public. I think private emails are different. But the blog format is easier to follow and comment on.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for this insight. If I understand blogs correctly, they can be limited to a members-only group of people, who also could be the only ones allowed to comment and also be able to post if given a key by the administrator.

      If limited to a small group, the copyright laws might be more like those that apply if one gives a copy of an article to a friend or colleague.


      Delete
  3. May perpetual light shine upon him. We will miss him.
    Thanks for posting this, David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad. God's love and peace to him and his husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very sad news. I sent condolences by email, as I wanted to share some of what Jim and I discussed in personal email correspondence several years ago. He now rests in God’s peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sorry to learn this news about Jim. A good man and a courageous one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to share the prayer of St John of God from Jim's home parish Web site:

    Dear God, through the intercession of St John of God, patron of the poor and the sick, grant me the grace this day to greet every person that I meet with understanding and compassion. Reveal to me their needs and give me the means and inspire in my heart the humility and generosity of St. John so that I might be to them a revelation of Christ’s love. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems very much as I pictured Jim being based on his rare comments and emails - kind and compassionate.

      Delete