Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Angels

 There is a good article on the America site by Fr. Jim McDermott, S.J. on angels :  People don’t become angels when they die. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t watching over us. | America Magazine

"Believe it or not, trying to write about angels is actually pretty hard. Most images we have of them—naked babies with wings; dudes with fire swords; a shirtless Patrick Swayze—come not from Scripture but from pop culture across centuries. Take one of the most popular stories about angels, the war in heaven and Satan’s fall. The Book of Revelation in the New Testament describes a war kind of like that, but the description is just three verses long, and it is actually a depiction of a final good-versus-evil war in heaven to come, not a past event. Meanwhile the story of Lucifer’s fall that we all think of probably comes mostly from John Milton’s 1667 epic poem “Paradise Lost.”

"Cherubim as adorable little babies with wings are similarly a creation of Renaissance artists drawn from ancient Greece and Rome, which liked to represent the “spirits” or instincts that influence our decision-making, like attraction, as winged children (ergo Cupid). In Scripture the cherubim are mentioned more than any other kind of angel—91 times; but the only time they are described, by Ezekiel, they have wings, four faces (of a man, a lion, an ox and an eagle) and are definitely not toddlers. Also they are either carrying God around on a throne or protecting Eden with a flaming sword. Try making that adorable, Donatello."

....The ways angels offer their messages can vary widely. In Luke the angel Gabriel just shows up to tell Mary what’s what; meanwhile, in Numbers, an invisible angel keeps spooking Balaam’s donkey until finally he starts punishing it, at which point the angel reveals itself and says it is displeased with Balaam, which causes him to change his ways. (And yes, this does seem like an awful lot of work to relay a message.)"

"The burning bush that Moses sees in the wilderness that sets him on his path—that voice was an “angel of the Lord.” So are the young men in white at Jesus’ empty tomb, who tell the mourning women that Jesus is gone."

"Biblical angels do sometimes help people. They grab Lot and get him out of Sodom when he dawdles in escaping. They free imprisoned disciples in the Acts of the Apostles. They take care of Jesus in the desert. But there is no biblical basis for the idea that people have guardian angels, strictly speaking."  (Actually there is, more about that later.)

"n some cases in Scripture angels are so closely identified with God, in fact, that it is not clear if the reference is actually to God. In Judges 2 an angel talks of bringing the Israelites out of Egypt and having taken them to the land it swore it would. Likewise in Genesis 18 we are told that “The Lord appeared to Abraham,” but then it is actually three men who show up. Yet when they speak, the speaker is again identified as the Lord."

"This seeming lack of distinction between God and God’s angels is not some kind of translation error, says Sister Brink. It is the way messengers were understood in the ancient world. “In the Greco-Roman period, when ambassadors or emissaries spoke to people, they were in persona of whoever sent them. That is certainly how biblical angels function. They were God’s mouthpieces.”

"So according to the Bible, angels are messengers. They are mouthpieces. But you know what they’re not, ever? Our dead relatives (or any other human beings, for that matter)."

"...Maybe this question of humans and angels comes down to semantics. No, we do not believe that human beings can become literal angels. From a scriptural point of view that is like asking, Can human beings become zebras? They’re a whole different kind of being from us."

As a personal aside, there actually is a scriptural reference to guardian angels.  It is Matthew 10:18  "Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you, their angels in heaven ever behold the face of my Father." "Angel of God, my guardian dear..." was one of the first prayers I learned as a child. And one of the first ones I taught to my children.  Guardian angels are mysterious, as are all angels. We don't quite know what their function is. It is perhaps more as spiritual guardians, than physical ones.  Though it does seem at  times that there was an intervention.  But the question remains, if that were true, why aren't they always guardians against physical harm?  However, I think it is always appropriate to pray to them when help is needed.  I know that I prayed many prayers to the guardian angels of my sons when they were learning to drive!

I loved the story of Tobias in the book of Tobit, one of the deuterocanonical books of the Old Testament.  It is pretty much accepted by scholars that it is a novella, a work of fiction.  But still is inspirational; the idea of the Angel Raphael as a companion on a journey, and a help in the healing of Tobias' father.

But my favorite biblical account of an encounter with angels is that in Luke's gospel:  (Luke 10:8-13)

 8"Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And [c]behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. 10 Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. 11 For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a [d]manger.”

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men!"

1

1


12 comments:

  1. I found it impossible to explain angels to The Boy, and got him a saints book instead. He found the idea of a spirit following him around all day somewhat creepy and probably more likely to narc on him than to protect him.

    I guess I've always thought of angels as symbolic more than real.

    However, angels seem to be important to the faith of many people, and the Church says they are real, so I'm certainly not going to deny their existence.

    Re Milton: He gets more credit than he deserves for dreaming up the angels (and demons) in Paradise Lost. A lot of these spurits who appear in his epic were first delineated in medieval mystery plays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt almost everything in the christian religion. I believe in God for sure. I really have no idea about the “ truth” of the Trinity as explained- (actually it’s not explained - it’s a “ mystery”). Was Jesus divine or just the most genius spiritual teacher of history? To me the most fundamental teaching that is the hardest to accept is the Incarnation, not the resurrection. Anyway, although I continue my lifelong struggle with Christianity, I have realized that I stay because of two things that I do believe in - guardian angels and St. Anthony. Based on personal experience that has been convincing enough, real enough that they keep me hanging in there trying to accept things like the Incarnation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reminded of one if those Travel Channel supernatural shows that talked of the "butterfly people" seen by children during the Joplin MO F5 tornado in 2011. Here's an article on it:
    https://www.columbiadailyherald.com/story/opinion/2021/04/28/stephen-rowland-butterfly-people/4852703001/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting story, Stanley!

      Delete
    2. The only sailor to survive a sinking in a winter storm on Lake Huron told me about an elderly man who appeared on his raft after all the other sailors had died of exposure. The old man kept telling him not to eat the ice that had formed on his jacket because he would get hypothermia.

      When he was rescued, he kept asking the medics about the old man on the raft. He drew sketches. No one like that had ever been on the ship.

      And of course Julian of Norwich saw some amazing things when she was at death's door. So did Catherine's granddaughter's Christina the Astonishing.

      Whether these types of things are sent from God or whether God created a human brain capable of dreaming them up in times of need isn't something I've felt the need to tear apart.

      Delete
    3. Today is the anniversary of a bad car wreck that we were in (in 1995). The state trooper who came to our aid said that he didn't think he would find anyone alive in the wreckage. But we didn't have life threatening injuries. Was it an angelic intervention that we were spared, or just lucky? I have felt in some ways that I am living on borrowed time.

      Delete
    4. Glad you both made it out OK.

      Delete
    5. Katherine, I have sometimes wondered why I didn’t die on an operating table when I was 10 and had a cardiac arrest. My mother always believed that the surgeon was guided by some kind of intervention, but she attributed it to St. Terese because the chapel at the rural 30 bed hospital was dedicated to her and because it was her feast day. I have spent my life wondering why my life was saved and feeling like I haven’t fulfilled whatever mission I was supposed to do during my life. Our parish for 30 years has two large statues - the Little Flower and St. Anthony. My brother who died 30 years ago was named for Anthony. I have often stopped and talked with them, asking for enlightenment about a special mission I’m supposed to complete before I die, but have never heard a word. But St Anthony has come through countless times in my life to guide me to really important, “ lost” objects, found in places that I had searched methodically several times. Then I open a drawer and there it is - sitting right on top. It’s happened so many times that it seems to be not just chance coincidence. I’m grateful for that much and actually have come to believe that these many hard to believe lost and found episodes have been a kind of “ sign” to me that there is a God. But maybe my brother is doing it.;)

      Delete
    6. I have also pondered why my life was saved, and hope that I am fulfilling whatever mission I was given. I have always seen my mission as helping my family, and I don't think I am wrong about that. But maybe we don't always know the totality of why we're here.

      Delete
  4. Our Cabin at the lake was built on five-foot steel tubes sunk into the ground. There was some fencing to discourage animals from going underneath the cabin but that was never very successful. So, it is kind of a scary place to sleep alone, since usually there was no one in any of the neighboring cabins.

    I was consoled by the idea that there were four guardian angels, one at each of the corners of the cabin protecting me. I don’t know how I got that idea. I don’t think they follow me around wherever I go. But I have the feeling that they set up camp wherever I reside.

    Maybe they are like the watchers in the night which guarded the walls of the city. They became associated with angels. Could be the source of the idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me of this prayer:
      "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John,
      Bless the bed that I lie on.
      Four corners to my bed,
      Four angels round my head;
      One to watch and one to pray
      And two to bear my soul away

      Delete
  5. These stories are giving me the chills - in a good way!

    ReplyDelete