Sunday, April 24, 2022

Eagle Scout Court of Honor

Today I attended a ceremony which I had never witnessed before: a young man from our parish became an Eagle Scout.

When I was in grade school, back in the late 1960s and early 70s, I was a Cub Scout for a couple of years.  I was attracted to it for the same reason that I suppose a lot of kids are: because the kids who already were scouts were permitted to wear their scout uniforms, rather than their school uniforms, on the days of scout meetings. They also got to march in the Memorial Day parade.  Our parents promoted it as a worthwhile activity.  All these things were outward signs of the inner reality, the nub of the matter: these other kids were in a club that I was not in.  Like a lot of kids, I didn't want to be on the outside of a club while my friends were on the inside.  Kids became altar servers or crossing guards (which we called "Safeties") for similar reasons.

So I became a Cub Scout, got the blue uniform, and started going to the meetings.  But once I was in the club, the mystery ceased being mysterious, and became, as we used to say 20 or 30 years ago, kind of lame.  I was pretty desultory about getting badges and medals (because that involved commitment and effort).  The few badges I earned didn't give me a jolt of accomplishment.  I thought the meetings and activities were kind of boring.  My dad never helped me to make my Pinewood Derby car; he thought a kid should make his own.  I ruined one of my mom's steak knives carving mine.  It's fair to say that I never went for scouting whole hog.  By fifth grade, which in those days was the age that Cub Scouts became Webelos, most of my friends had dropped out, and after one or two Webelo den meetings, I dropped out, too.

My own kids were Brownies and Cub Scouts for a couple of years when they reached the appointed ages.  I never became an actual Scout leader, but I was fairly active with my sons when they were in Cub Scouts.  I observed some of the same signs in my sons that I see now in myself: they liked the uniforms, but didn't really make a concerted effort to be a scout, and after a while they lost interest and gave it up.

Still, on the strength of that decidedly non-committal history with scouting which I've just described, I became known as the go-to cleric at our parish for anything having to do with Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and that ilk.  It doesn't amount to much.  Our parish doesn't have a school, and doesn't sponsor a scouting troop.  But virtually all of the public and Catholic elementary schools in the area have Cub Scout troops affiliated with them (the Memorial Day parade in this town goes on forever), so some parishioners do participate in scouting.  And not just the kids: there are adults in the parish who serve as troop leaders.  

In addition, you may know that there are Catholic medals that a scout can earn.  Every few years, one of the parish kids goes for one of them.  These religious emblems require a church sponsor, and I'm the default go-to guy among the clergy for that sort of thing.  The parents do the real work of yelling at the kid to complete all the activities to earn the badge.  I review and sign their workbook of activities.  Once a year, there is a Scout Sunday (not something on the official church calendar, as far as I can tell, but somehow, the adult scout leaders in the parish know when it is, and they tell me).  On Scout Sunday all the Scouts in the parish and their adult leaders are invited to show up in uniform, be part of the Entrance Procession (complete with American and Scout flags) and sit together in reserved pews at the front of the church.  If any kid earned a Catholic medal, we call them forward and award it to them after the homily.  It's nice.  Maybe a little silly (did I mention my heart isn't really into Scouting?) but nice.  

In the Boy Scout hierarchy, Eagle Scout is, I believe, at the very top.  There have been a few Eagle Scouts in the parish during my time.  A nice young man in our parish became an Eagle Scout this afternoon.  I had been a rather small part of his Eagle Scout project: he and the guys in his Boy Scout troop did some work to expand the footprint of our food pantry.  They built some shelves and a mobile food collection cart.  They put some real work into it, and it was some good work, and it helped us expand.  In addition to the actual work, he had to go through a fair amount of Scouting rigmarole: writing a proposal, getting it accepted by the regional adult leaders, and so on.  A woman in our parish who actually runs the food pantry did a good deal more than I did to contribute to his achievement.  But as the parish liaison guy, I was the one who reviewed and signed off on his work.  

The family invited me to be a guest at the ceremony earlier today in which he was actually elevated to the rank of Eagle Scout.   Of course, I was happy to attend.  The ceremony is called the Eagle Scout Court of Honor.  And in some ways it was pretty interesting.

I use the word "ceremony" intentionally, because there was a fair amount of what I would call secular ritual involved.  This is something that I think used to be more common in American society than it is now.  One still sees secular ritual at some public events like graduations (think of the graduates marching into the gym in their caps and gowns while "Pomp and Circumstance" plays, and then walking from one of the dais to the other to receive their diploma).  When I was a kid, adult community service organizations like the Elks and the Shriners were more thriving than they are now, and I believe they all have their rituals, too.  When my father in law was an Elk, the officers in his lodge used to take part in competitive ritual tournaments (how American is that?),  competing against other Elk lodges.  As in the church, there were ritual ranks, vestments, texts and actions.  

Ritual elements were on display in the Court of Honor today as well.  The element that struck me the most are the scouting uniforms.  There are a few aspects of the Boy Scouts which are quasi-military, and the scheme of uniforms is one of them.  There are various ranks of Boy Scouts, and if one is knowledgeable (which I am not), one probably can glance at the color of the neckerchief, the insignias, the sashes and so on and discern the boy's rank.  Equally interesting to me is that the adult scout leaders also wear scout uniforms.  There may be differences in rank among the adults, too, for all I know.  They begin their meetings with a Color Guard, which involves boys posting the American flag and Scout flag at the front of the room.  Then the scouts all salute, the rest of us civilians place our hands on our hearts, and we recite the Pledge of Allegiance together.  

It's pretty rare for me to have an occasion these days to recite the pledge (cf. the lack of civic ritual in our lives these days).  Today, making the pledge moved me.  I think the situation in Ukraine has had me reflecting quite a bit lately on what the US actually stands for, and what we could be if we could figure out how to fix what's broken. 

After more ceremonial business involving candles, medals and pins, and a series of speeches, a representative from the Marine Corps - a retired veteran - was invited to speak.  He alluded to a connection between Scouts and the Marines of which I confess I wasn't previously aware, although I can easily believe that teen scouts would be on the recruiting list for any branch of the armed forces.  This Marine introduced another ritual element, cake cutting.  As he described it, it's a Marine thing whereby the oldest Marine gives his piece of cake to the youngest Marine, thereby conveying that they look out for one another (or something like that).  What disconcerted me about the cake cutting is the Marine presented the newly minted Eagle Scout with a brand new, still-in-the-box K Bar with which to cut the cake.  If you're not familiar with a K Bar, I can tell you it is a knife, it's really big, and looks deadly as hell.  It's not manufactured to cut cake; its purpose is to gut and skin the enemy.  Here in the burbs, it's not the kind of gift we typically bestow upon our teenage sons - at least, not in this house (although I'm sure we have our share of gun nuts around here).  

Eventually, the rituals and speeches wound down, we all congratulated the young man, and then we feasted on a catered dinner provided by the scout's family.  And now he's an Eagle Scout.  He's a senior in high school this year and will be off to college in the fall, where I am not certain whether the rank of Eagle Scout means anything to anyone.  But he can reflect that he's accomplished something that very few others have.    

18 comments:

  1. Whew! That's way more of a big deal than they do in our parish. I don't know if we have any Eagle Scouts. One of my nephews made Eagle Scout. I don't remember what his project was. There was one boy in our hometown who mapped and alphabetized the local cemetery so that people could find the graves they were looking for, for his project.
    There used to be a Scouting medal called Parvuli Dei which boys could get for being altar servers. Maybe it still exists.
    My folks weren't big into organizations. Though Mom's side weren't Catholic and there were a whole bunch of male relatives who were Masons. Which I guess is verboten for Catholics. Never quite knew why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall there was a bishop in Nebraska in the 1990s who banned the Masons from his diocese (Lincoln), or excommunicated them, or some such - the Masons were on a rather lengthy list of organizations which were thought to be detrimental to the faith. The Shriners are Masons, if I'm not mistaken. I'm also a little unclear as to why Masons were verboten. (Maybe because Masons are thought to be Deists?)

      In the past, I had read somewhere that the pyramid with the single eye, which appears on the US dollar bill, was a Masonic sign, and its appearance on our currency supposedly was indicative of the influence of Masonry among our Founders. But Wikipedia's article on the symbol, which apparently is known as the Eye of Providence, debunks that theory. I mention this because I was in a local Catholic church over the weekend, a pre-Vatican-II building which has some lovely stained glass windows. I was a little startled to see the Eye of Providence on one of the windows in the church, because, as I am mentioning here, I thought it was a Freemason symbol, and I recalled that Lincoln bishop, Bruskewitz, coming down on the Masons.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence#:~:text=The%20Eye%20of%20Providence%20(or,of%20God%20watches%20over%20humanity.

      Delete
    2. The Parvuli Dei medal (I think it's technically considered an emblem) still exists. That seems to be the one I'm most commonly involved in awarding. According to Google Translate, the term means "Children of God".

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Jim, yeah, it was Bishop Bruskewitz of the Lincoln Diocese. He pronounced a penalty of latae sententiae excommunication for anyone who remained a member of about a dozen organizations. Some of them, for instance the Hemlock Society, I could sort of understand. But most of it was overreach and over-reaction. The Shriners and most Masonic organizations were among them.

      Delete
  2. George Washington was a Mason. There is a very large Masonic monument named for him, in Alexandria, VA. It is very visible for miles around. Apparently Ben Franklin, Paul Revere and John Hancock were also Masons. Even Harry Truman was a Mason.

    https://mdmasons.org/about-md-masons/famous-masons/

    GW's affiliation is pretty obvious to those who live int he DC area. He lived in Alexandria, in what today we might call suburbs. His home is Mount Vernon, which was actually a plantation. (yes - he too owned slaves).

    https://gwmemorial.org/

    When I was growing up in a small mountain town, we had Brownies and scouts in elementary school. It was K-8 even though it was a public school. Very small in those days. Those who participated in Scouts quit no later than 9th, high school, when they joined the Masonic youth organizations - the Rainbow Girls, and DeMolays for boys.

    Catholics were a pretty small group in the community- most people went to the non-denominational Community Church. There were also small Baptist, Mormon, and Jehovah's Witness communities. I don't know where they met- they had no actual church buildings. Just the Community Church (now affiliated with the Presbyterian church) and the Catholic Church and that was it for official church buildings.

    There were no activities for kids outside of school other than Scouts for the younger kids, and the two Masonic youth organizations for the high school age kids. We Catholic kids were told in no uncertain terms that we could not join those - it would be a sin. There were no outside of school community youth sports, nor enough Catholic kids for CYO teams. The high school had boys teams - football, basketball, and baseball, and co-ed track and field. Nothing else for girls. Since we Catholic kids couldn't join the DeMolays or Rainbow Girls, we were pretty much at loose ends for activities other than school. All very, very different from the activities and sports for kids in the community we live in.

    Popes began banning membership in the Masons hundreds of years ago, and apparently still do.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_ban_of_Freemasonry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, that is fascinating.

      FWIW, my mother, who grew up in a small city albeit seemingly not as small a town as you grew up in, went to a Catholic women's college for one year, before she married my dad and immediately started having children. This would have been in the late 1950s. (She ended up completing her bachelor's degree, but not until she was in her 50s and the kids were out of the house. We're very proud of her.) She tells us that, when she was at this women's college, gym class was a required subject. My mom had attended Catholic elementary and high school in her hometown, and until she went off to college, she had never had a gym class. Seems the boys had gym, but not the girls. This college was in a large city, and a lot of the other young women apparently were from other backgrounds and already had experience playing volleyball, basketball and whatever else was required in gym class. My mom felt really inadequate and unprepared.

      Not quite the same thing as not having after-school activities, but your comment reminded me of this.

      Delete
    2. Gym was required in my high school. It was a public school, 9-12. There were about 250 students. I am very klutzy, so I detested gym. I had no desire to play sports, but my BFF ( we are still friends in regular communication) loved gym and loved the sports we played - mostly we did calisthenics, but we also played basketball, volleyball, and we had gymnastics at one point. My friend loved every minute, just as I hated every minute! As an adult she played tennis, and only gave that up after she hit 70. I think it’s really sad that she didn’t have athletic opportunities in our school and community. I also went to. a Catholic women’s college, but a few years later than your mom - in the late 60’s. The college had given me a scholarship and since my mom had almost no money, I had no choice but to accept the scholarship and go there. In many ways it was not the best choice for me, but I did make very close friendships - there are several friends from then with whom I am still in close contact. “Gym” was required freshman year- I think one semester. I suspect it was a requirement imposed by the California accreditation folk. We could “self- direct” our “gym” activities. My friends and I took a 40 minute walk twice/ week. Some girls played tennis, and some even went riding out of a local stable. All of my friends were also scholarship students. We had no cars to get to a stable, nor money to pay for the horse rental. No team sports like volleyball. It was the honor system and the nuns really didn’t care what we did as long as we dutifully reported the week’s “ gym” activities.

      Delete
  3. Dad was a Mason. The lodges have elaborate rituals and bonding ceremonies. They blackball prospective members, usually non-WASPs, and exclude women (they have the Eastern Star). At higher levels, there's a lot of deal-making, price-fixing, and influence peddaling.

    It is a secret society, and some Christian denominations see it as tantamount to a separate religion. Lutherans cannot be Masons.

    As with a lot of fraternal organizations, the Masonic dues get to be expensive, and Dad dropped out during a rough financial patch when I was a kid. Two guys came and took him to an undisclosed location and made him swear never to reveal their secrets, and he rec'd his official demit.

    There are scholarships and prestige around Eagle Scout status here. When I was on our local library board, some kid wanted to install picture rails so we could gave art exhibits in the library as his project. His dad came in to make the pitch for him because the kid was busy with something else. The local shop teacher did most of the work on the rail installation.

    I think kids should have to do their own work. The Boy was the only kid in band who didn't go on the Disney World trip. The Boosters stepped forward and offered to pay half at the last minute, but we'd told him a year ahead of time he needed to earn half the money himself before we would let him go. He didn't take us seriously, so I declined the offer. Hard lessons are best learned early.

    So I was disgusted with that Eagle Scout kid. He didn't deserve the honor, imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Masons do tend to come off as the "bad guys" in a lot of TV shows and movies. Especially in British murder mysteries. I'm sure that there are Masons around where I live now, but their presence is definitely not obvious.

      Apparently the Shriners are affiliated with the Masons - a "spinoff".

      https://www.journalmpls.com/from-fezzes-to-secret-rituals-a-field-guide-to-shriners/

      Delete
    2. The Shriners actually do some good, despite their idiotic fezzes (though the KofC and their plumes and paramilitary berets are just as goofy). My cousin adopted all four of his wife's kids from a previous liaison. The little girl had a rare condition that required her leg bone to be repeatedly broken and augmented sugically with steel rods as she grew--the kind of thing only a multi-millionaire could afford. The Shriners arranged travel to Shriners Children's Hospital in Chicago and paid every dime of her care. They also put the parents up in a free hotel so that they could tag team staying with Tammy.

      Delete
    3. Yes - I’ve heard of a Shriners connection with hospitals. Wonderful that they helped the little girl. The medical costs would have been impossible in this country for anyone with less money than Warren Buffet.

      They are the ones with the silly fezzes? I hadn’t realized that. I’ve seen photos but never anyone in person. I agree that the outfits the KofC have to wear are also silly looking. A neighbor who coached CYO basketball with my husband didn’t realize that he isn’t Catholic officially. He tried to convince my husband to join the KofC. He was quite happy to have an excuse to not have to wear the getup. Of course, bishops look pretty ridiculous too, especially those who choose silk and lace, and the mitres always make me stifle a laugh. Even our EC bishop wears a mitre occasionally. It looks almost worse on a woman. Then there are the really ridiculous outfits that people like Burke favor. The Orthodox have some pretty wild attire too.

      Delete
    4. Clerical vestments have centuries of historical and spiritual symbolism and significance.

      The get-ups of fraternal orgs do not.

      We had a neighbor who was a Shriner. He wore his fez when he and his wife had their Xmas card photos taken with their two schnauzers. I am sorry to report that the boy schnauzer had a little mini fez in the photos.

      Delete
    5. Better a dog in a mini-fez than an AR15 like some congresspeople had on their Christmas cards.

      I know that the various vestments have a long history and are symbols that maybe .000001% of those who see them actually understand.

      I knew when Francis came out on the balcony in 2013 that I should pay attention because he chose not to wear the mozetta. The priest/commentator on the car radio was shocked - SHOCKED. When it turned out that he was from a local seminary in Maryland, that attracts the uber-conservative seminarians, I wasn't surprised.

      Then Francis asked the people in St. Peter's Square to pray for HIM! Wow! I was blown away. He hasn't brought me back to the pews (nobody ever will because there isn't enough time left in my life for a different, future pope to take what Francis has started but can't bring himself to complete and run with it - unfortunately he is too much a man of his time and culture. I do like him though). I also cheered when he refused to move into the Papal apartments and chose to live in the same apartment building where many of the Vatican workers live.

      I'm not too fond of some of the over-the-top British regalia either, or military regalia. I like simplicity- in liturgy, but in pretty much everything, including the displays of fussy regalia of religious leaders, monarchs, and military. And especially the symbols of wealth regalia of the church - so very un-Jesus-like. Somehow I can't picture Jesus wearing a huge mitre, nor clothing made of very expensive cloth and lace trimmings, and especially all the gold-embroidery. The Franciscan robe - OK.

      These days, when I happen to glimpse a young priest strutting around in a cassock and some kind of silly hat on his head, I am grateful that I don't have to deal with him. His clothing tell me everything I need to know about him. A "servant leader" he is not.

      Delete
    6. Owner in a fez and pooch in a mini-fez. An image for the ages.
      I'm reminded of Laurel and Hardy in "Sons of the Desert" as members of that spoof of the Shriners. That image would have fit perfectly in that movie. I'm surprised they never thought if it.

      Delete
  4. When I was in grade school the boy scouts met in a wooden building next door which housed the fire engine with a couple of rooms for civic affairs. Before I left grade school the town build a great new firehall several blocks away and demolished the old wooden building. So, I lost track of what happened to scouts during high school.

    I did become an altar boy at the urging of my best friend. I suspect he was also in scouts and urged me to do that, too. I kind of remember going to several meetings but did not become very involved.

    Being an altar boy worked out very well for me. We had a seminarian who became a priest and was ordained about my sophomore year in high school. He ran the altar boys from a distance until he was ordained. I was kind of his on-site substitute and then took over the altar boys and a lot of other parish work once he was ordained.

    Our parish did not have what in those days was called as assistant pastor (now called parochial vicars), so I was nicknamed the "assistant pastor." On Saturdays I would go to the morning Mass and then have breakfast at the parish house which was served by the pastor's mom who lived with him. Then help him out with various things. Then I would come back for confessions, rosary and Benediction on Saturday evenings (this was Pre-Vatican II), and after serving one of the four Sunday morning masses would sometimes come back in the afternoon to help. A lot of good responsible experience for a young person.

    My father went to work in the mines after grade school and my mother had assumed cooking and housekeeping duties for her ill mother at about the same age. They supported me in accepting a whole lot of adult responsibilities during high school because that is what they had done. Support included using the family car for these activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I was nicknamed the "assistant pastor." "

      Jack, if you don't mind my saying so, I've noticed that whenever you get involved in anything, you end up as the leader of the thing :-) It's a tribute to your abilities.

      Delete
    2. While I have not ever desired to be a CEO since I do not like to meet new people and CEOs are aways meeting new people, I did find my leadership role early in a liturgical context.

      When the bishop came to our parish for confirmation he was accompanied by his secretary who was the master of ceremonies for the event. I was totally fascinated with this guy who bowed and pointed to everyone (including the bishop) and they did what he wanted. Who wants to be a bishop when you can be the guy who bows and points and everyone does what you want.

      In some way that has been my role in senior management, I simply bow and point with whatever data, ideas, etc. that I can muster and invite people to do what they need to do. I never try to persuade let alone coerce anyone into doing anything.

      Delete