Friday, April 29, 2022

Connecting to others in a parish

Parishes offer mass.  How good are they at offering social fulfillment?

Jack's interesting post on circles of friendship has generated a lot of thoughtful conversation.   In one of the comments, I mentioned that a slice of my wife's and my friendships go back to her college days.  She was in an honors program at our alma mater, Loyola.  The honors students tended to hang out together, for several reasons: the university fostered the camaraderie by setting them up as a "group within a group", with their own lounge, a faculty adviser, some classes offered exclusively to them, and some planned social activities throughout the year.  Beyond that supportive formal structure, the honors program consisted of students of similar scholastic ability and with similar interests, and perhaps some of them would have found one another even without the institution's help.  There were some who paired off as couples, some of which led to marriages (at least a few of which continue to this day).  

Not everyone at Loyola had an honors program to belong to.  Loyola is not as large a university as the very large land-grant state schools in the Upper Midwest, but it's one of the larger Catholic schools in the United States, and sufficiently big that one can attend anonymously for four years if one wishes (or must), showing up for class and doing the work, but not being part of the community's social fabric.  

I didn't really have anything socially comparable to the honors program for my own undergraduate career.  I had to find my own groups of like-minded people to belong to.  Like many other undergraduates, I found that a fondness for beer provided an easy entree to social circles; and then, like many other undergraduates, I eventually found that a fondness for beer didn't set one up for academic success.  In retrospect, I can see that probably there was a fraternity that would have been happy to have me; but Greek life wasn't as big at Loyola as it was at the large state schools, and I wasn't really predisposed to be a frat bro.  Because I'm a sociable person, over time I did build up a circle (or several circles) of friends at college, but I didn't have much by way of pre-formed, ready-made thrown-togetherness like the honors program or a fraternity.   

At Loyola, not everyone lived on campus; there also were many commuter students.  These were students who lived locally in the Chicago area, commuted to college for their classes, and then returned home - usually to the parents' house; or, in the cases of some older undergrads, to their own homes.  For these commuter students, college social life could be a challenge.  I believe there was a certain class division between the on-campus-ers and the commuters: many of these commuter students were living at home because even in those days, a private college was a big expense, and affording the tuition was as much as they and their parents could swing.

And then there are students who may have wished to be socially "plugged in" but for one reason or another, weren't - whether because of prejudice on the part of other students, or anxiety or depression, or a damaged reputation, or some other reason.  I assume that any of us who have lived on a campus have seen examples of this and have anecdotes.

I mention all this because I think there are social parallels with Catholic parishes - and perhaps some lessons for Catholic parishes to learn. 

Pastors and parish staffs spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get their parishioners more 'attached' to the parish.  Certainly, one practical reason for that is financial; pastors and church professionals understand that the days of widespread tithing are long in the past, and those who provide the most financial support are those who are actively engaged in the church community.  Whenever churches ask for money, eyes begin to roll, but there is a benign and legitimate way to think about this: the purpose of a parish is to establish a physical presence (a church, a rectory, often a school and, at least in the old days, a convent) in the midst of a community with many disciples or potential disciples.  The church provides spiritual "services" to the members while the members sustain the community spiritually, fraternally and, yes, financially.  

Perhaps that sounds transactional, but a better way to think of it is the mutuality of a virtuous cycle: the parish helps the member, and the member helps the parish.  Pastors who are looking for members to get engaged are looking for them to receive the good fruits of engaged disciples; and also looking to give the members a worthwhile community which the members will willingly - even eagerly - support.

The challenge for a church community is how to foster the "sense of community".  By the standards of church communities, Catholic parishes are large.  Ours supposedly has 3,000 registered families, although I look at that number with some skepticism, especially after COVID.  Still, most Catholic parishes in this metropolitan area are large enough that one can attend for years virtually anonymously, and many people do.

What people are looking for from a parish community can vary considerably, but even before I became a member of the clergy, I was among those who don't crave anonymity.  I want to be part of a group where I can be *someone*: as the old sitcom theme song goes, "Where everybody knows your name".

That's not possible when the parish community consists of thousands of members. And so parishes are advised to foster groups-within-the-group: like Loyola's honors program, common interest groups which are small enough to allow the members to participate as 'someones', while also remaining attached to the larger institution.

I believe that, in some ways, parishes used to be better at this than they are now.  I suspect the chief reason is that people themselves used to be more amenable to getting involved in community organizations and activities than they are now.  I've mentioned before that I am a believer in Robert D. Putnam's thesis in Bowling Alone that Americans are suffering from a dearth of social capital, because the mediating institutions of society have weakened and shrunk - and in some cases have disappeared.  What applies to communal life, applies on a smaller scale to a church community.  Parishes also need "mediating institutions": smaller groups in which members can not just show up, but participate, form friendships and relationships - and also be a friend in need for others.

In my own case, I have been involved in music ministry, going back to young adulthood - long before I became a deacon.  I should mention here that even many church choirs are too large and too hierarchical to qualify as effective mediating institutions; it is possible for a bass or an alto to sing in relative anonymity in his/her section, without getting to know the other members very well.  Smaller choirs - ensembles - are considerably more effective in fostering true Christian communities-within-the-community.  

From a social point of view, a well-constituted choir or ensemble can be rather like my alma mater's honors program: a bringing together of like-minded persons, with some institutional support.  Especially because of COVID, the choir in our parish has shrunk over the last 1-2 years.  In a way, it's a shame - but in a way, it's not: I am noticing that the bonds of friendship and Christian fellowship are growing stronger in the smaller group, and frankly, they are sounding better, too - not as big, but a tighter blend.  

Perhaps not everyone joins a choir to fulfill a social need: there may be some who simply like to make music, and would prefer not to have to smile and chat during rehearsals.  In the same way, seemingly there are quite a few people who aren't looking for anything from their parish except a predictable Sunday mass schedule and a parking lot.  We music ministers know this well: we've spent the entire post-Vatican-II era trying to get them to sing, and they continue to stubbornly resist singing.  They are, literally, refusing to actively participate.

But I suspect there are others who would get more involved, if the parish gave them more ways to be involved.  And that would be good for both them and the parish.

25 comments:

  1. Thanks for an interesting look inside parish social dynamics.

    I think the political divide in the nation affects social dynamics a lot in parishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I think you are right that choirs and music ministry can foster social connection. That is definitely true for me, choirs were always how I made friends when we moved to a new town. Since we have been in this one for nearly 27 years, I have known the people in my choir group that long. One couple, the directors, are particularly longstanding and close friends of me and my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And how many of the 3000 in the parish can read music and sing on key? I sang in a large high school choir, a madrigal group, and a “triple trio” of 9 girls. Singing was my high school niche. I still visit our choir director in my old mountain community when I can. He helped me survive high school. He is 95 now. I last saw him about a year before Covid. I joined my parish choir at one point before realizing that my range was less than an octave and my voice very week after not singing at all for decades. I croaked — I did not sing. The church choir director was clearly relieved when I told him I was giving up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right - I'm not suggesting that joining a choir or playing an instrument in music ministry is for everyone. It's one option for those who would like to do that.

      Some parishes would like to have more ministries and groups, but it's hard to find people willing to be in charge.

      Delete
    2. "People willing to be in charge" This goes back to one of Jack's themes of leadership. Lay Catholics leadership isn't always encouraged in some parishes. Add to that a disinclination to spend a lot of extra time doing church things among many Mass goers, most families in which both parents have to work and have no time or energy for ministries, and a growing percentage of elderly parishioners who don't have the energy or inclination to lead things, and that all adds up to a dearth of "programs."

      In the local parish there is a group of young men who are involved in That Man Is You, a kind of Promise-Keepers for Catholics. There's also a quilting ministry that makes quilts to raffle off at various places to raise parish funds.

      My sense is that lots of people might participate in "ministry" more if they could do it sporadically as time permitted. But lay leaders in the local parish usually start out scolding people about needing to make commitments and how if they've got time to sit on their diffs watching Netflix, they can get their butts up to church every Wednesday and blah blah. They get poor turnout, and then tell everybody no one wants programs.

      So defining good leadership strikes me as a possible need.

      Imo, fellow parishioners who stop you in the grocery store to ask how you are or how you're husband's doing after a heart attack, or to tell you they enjoyed seeing your kid at his place of employment is also ministry work. Not enough kind words in the world, if you ask me.

      Delete
    3. "Not enough kind words in the world" You hit that nail on the head, Jean.

      Delete
    4. Catholics should build on that kindness. As a kid, it was the Catholic families in our neighborhood who acted like they cared about people. When I started studying the saints and their radical kindness, it's why I gravitated toward the Church. But interest in the saints has waned considerably.

      Delete
  4. I have a history of joining the parish choir before joining the parish. When I was parish shopping after I arrived in Toledo, I found a medium size parish that had good congregational singing. It seemed preferable to a large parish which had a long nave. After going to the parish masses for several months, I joined the choir. It actually was not very much of a choir, and was not needed since the parish had excellent congregational singing largely because the organist practiced the people before each Mass.

    Each Wednesday I would go to Mass followed by choir practice. After about six months the pastor, who hardly knew me, invited me to become a member of the pastoral staff. From the organist/choir director and the woman religious who was the pastoral associate he had decided I had the talents to be a member of the voluntary pastoral staff. When I accepted his offer, I registered for the parish.

    When I first came to Lake County, I decided to join the choir which sang at the main Mass of the large local parish down the block. It actually wasn’t much of a choir, more of an ensemble led by a guitarist. Most of the Masses did not have even an ensemble, only a cantor and accompanist. That was my entrée into the parish. I continued to participate in the parish for over a decade but did not register until I joined pastoral council.

    One can organize music ministry around a cantor and accompanist. Cleveland paid cantors when Betty was younger; that enabled her to afford to regularly go to NPM training programs. One can organize music ministry around ensembles each of which sings at a different Mass. The advantage of that is that it can be bring in more and varied talent to the music. One can organized it around an SATB choir, however the tends to foster a parish choir Mass and leave the other weekend liturgies impoverished.

    I think congregational singing is most important and that those who like myself want to sing well in the congregation should be able to come to a fifteen minute to half hour practice before Mass with the cantor, ensemble or SATB choir. That would provide a great opportunity to meet people in the parish without having to go to an extra meeting. The Cantor, ensemble or SATB choir could also have another fifteen minutes to half hour practice after the Mass in which they rehearsed new hymns before introducing them to the parish.

    Think of the opportunities that would provide for meeting people, e.g., arriving early for the practice, talking to people in the interval between the end of the practice and the beginning of the liturgy, then after the liturgy until the new hymn practice, and then after that practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off topic - Jim, chrome was hacked. There will be an automatic fix soon, but there are numerous articles online about what to do now to protect your information.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2022/04/27/google-chrome-new-vulnerabilities-high-threat-level-update-chrome-now/?sh=5a36fa1057f5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, many thanks. I just updated Chrome, in case that helps.

      Delete
    2. I routinely use two browsers, with different bookmarks for different purposes. Chrome used to be considered the safest. Now that’s been shown to be old news. I’m considering switching. Some alternatives in the article. I have been using Firefox as my second browser on the laptop and have had no problems. But I might replace chrome.

      https://gizmodo.com/google-chrome-alternatives-firefox-edge-opera-vivaldi-b-1848859790

      Delete
  6. Jack, Hmmm. What is an SATB choir? NPM? DC is acronym city. But every discipline has its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SATB is a four part choir: soprano, alto, tenor, base.
      NPM National Pastoral Musicians
      https://npm.org/
      The national association of pastoral musicians is mostly of and for Catholics but welcomes everyone.

      Remember I worked for local government so we had many, many acronyms to deal with (federal, state, and local); pity our new board members.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. My high school choir was 6 parts. The nine girl triple trio was soprano, second soprano, alto. I don’t actually remember how many parts the madrigal group had. I miss being able to sing n a group. My voice has so disappeared that I can’t even sing to my grandchildren without scaring them. :)

      Delete
  7. Raber reports that the Church Ladies have killed the donuts after Mass. Mass time is now 11 am, and they argue that "everybody" (i.e., they) wants to get home and start dinner.

    Some of the guys argued that after-Mass donut gathering is an important bribe used to keep wiggly kids in line, the time when new people can be greeted, and allows the oldsters count on to catch up with their buds.

    But the Church Ladies were not to be moved. People can go to the local diner if they want to socialize, and if you have to bribe kids with donuts, your parenting skills are slip shod.

    So there is no more after-Mass kaffe-klatsching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raber asked what was stopping the Church Ladies from going home if they wantd? They aren't obligated to attend donut hour. They claim it's wasted money, and it "makes a mess."

      I was proud of him for trying to argue, at least. Nobody gets between a stubborn German and his Sunday bismarck without a fight.

      Delete
    2. Wow. They are really a mean bunch, aren’t they. How come the church ladies have so much power? Do they write up the budget? Decide how money is spent?

      My two RC parishes covered the expenses of the doughnuts and coffee. Our much smaller (and not as rich) EC parish covers the cost of the coffee, but solicits volunteers to bring doughnuts, coffee cake, or whatever. They can be store bought. They have multiple volunteers who bring the goodies for a minimum of one Sunday/ year. Some sign up for one Sunday/ month. During the summer, the congregation shrinks a lot. They get a volunteer to do “ lemonade on the porch”. - lemonade and cookies served literally on the porch of the parish house. The volunteers cover the shopping and set up the table with all that is needed, and do the minimal cleanup. Most who volunteer do it for one Sunday during the summer. At least they did. It will be interesting to see if it happens this summer with Covid restrictions lifted, and an interim pastor who will have to be told about the tradition I assume. The coffee hour is now after the second service ( there used to be three); adult forum for those who want to go, is in an adjacent room, beginning about 15 minutes after the start of the coffee hour.

      Delete
    3. If your parish now has only one mass, it must be pretty small for an RC parish. Maybe some volunteers would step up. My RC parishes were big - one had, and still has, 7 masses every weekend. But the standing room only masses (there used to be 3 of them) apparently now have plenty of room. The parish has lost 30-40% of its membership since I left it about 15 years ago according to the bulletin I read when stopping by during a recent walk. My second RC parish was a bit smaller, but still had 4 or 5 masses every weekend. When I was part of the Social Justice group, our battle with that parish council was to get them to cover the cost of fair trade coffee instead of the regular. We finally got them to do it one Sunday/month. This is a very wealthy parish and they didn’t want to spend a bit more on Sunday coffee to help the poor coffee farmers in Latin America get a little more cash for their product than the multinational coffee corporations were willing to pay them. . I changed from the first (affluent) parish of 30 years to the even richer parish because there was finally a pastor I couldn’t abide ( the 5th). So I drove a little farther for a while before joining the EC parish. I was involved for a while with a project at the multicultural parish I mentioned a few weeks ago. One of the poorest suburban parishes, Franciscan, but the parishioners there are much more generous about helping others than in the two richer parishes. I have considered going to that parish on Sundays but it’s a bit of a drive, unfortunately. I like what they do - a very social justice focused parish.

      Delete
    4. The Church Ladies forced the dissolution of the Men's Club under some rule about parish groups, and reconstituted it as the Activities Club. This disaffected the men, some of whom quit, and allowed them to pack the group with their partisans. One of them is a relentless talker, who monopolized conversations and wears people down. She likes to enumerate everything she's done for the parish as part of her argument to shame people.

      There is talk about people volunteering to pay for donuts themselves, but the Church Ladies are on a new tack that covid prevents anyone from bringing in food from home.

      This is entirely incorrect, but they managed to use this argument to prevent people from bringing in homemade desserts for the fish fry.

      These women fascinate, stymie, and repel me. They seem to feel that the church is an extension of their own livingrooms, and what they don't allow in their own homes is verboten at church.

      In other areas their power is waning, so my guess is that they will become more strident about what they can influence.

      In a way, it's pitiful. A handful of old ladies making their last stand against donut crumbs and a few coffee rings on the bingo tables in the parish hall. Such a waste of energy. So destructive of unity.

      Delete
    5. Gaah. How exhausting and depressing it must be to be that kind of church lady. Not to mention the people who have to listen to them.
      Our parish hasn't done donuts and coffee on a regular basis since we've been here. However the Knights do a pancake breakfast after all the Sunday morning Masses about once a month which is well attended.
      Our church ladies are getting too old (older than me! ) to do much of anything anymore. We did do a free rolls and coffee thing after the Covid lockdown was lifted to welcome people back. It has taken awhile but most of the people who came before are back now. We had full services forr Holy Week and Easter.

      Delete
    6. If you want to foster parish attachment--I think that's what Jim called it--saying "no" to all the activities or talking them to death seems counter-productive. Raber says that as new people have come over from a neighboring parish, there is an inordinate amount of discussion about procedures, leaders, duty rosters, and checklists. If they are freaking out about the donuts, I can only imagine what will happen when the firmer Men's Club men broach the topic of the parish breakfast.

      Delete
  8. There are a lot of possibilities around music that do not require vocal ability. When we had RENEW in our parish, the groups mostly met in homes. I offered a RENEW FOR MUSIC LOVERS group where I shared my collection of liturgical music. People signed up for my group who would not have signed up for the regular groups. For example, one woman was a retired social worker. She was deterred by the “witnessing” that some people had done at the Mass promotions, explaining how their RENEW group had helped them through emotional difficulties. However, she was very attracted to the experience of sharing a love of music with other people.

    Since we have a large parish (we had 20 groups of about ten members each), I could probably have created a variety of music groups, e.g. a Gregorian chant group, Taize music, a contemporary music group, etc. By making the music more specific I would have likely aroused the attention of people with specific interests. It is not just traditionalists who are interested in Gregorian chant; a lot of the liberals who were involved in my group were disappointed that classical Latin chant and polyphony were no longer available in parishes. They did not want a Latin Mass just some of the classical repertory. One had even joined the community college choir because it did some of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what RENEW is, but your program sounds nice. I gather it was music appreciation more than singing and playing instruments.

      There was a kind of Faith in the Movies group that was started just before the pandemic. They showed "Passion of the Christ" (not my cuppa tea), "Calvary" (very good Irish film), but also "The Green Book" and a few others that sparked discussion. I'm sorry it died. I enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. RENEW INTERNATIONAL is a large nonprofit Catholic organization founded out of the Archdiocese of Newark in 1976. It began with a renewal program in that diocese, then spread to other dioceses and parishes.

      https://www.renewintl.org/our-history?hsLang=en

      The parish in Toledo where I was a voluntary pastoral staff member did RENEW (along with the rest of the diocese in 1981-83. It was a two and a half year program consisting of a fall and spring sessions, each lasting about 6 weeks)

      I also was a facilitator of a small group for my current parish when it did RENEW in 1989-92, and when it did an advanced version of the program in 2006-2008.

      The program encouraged people to think about their faith and share their reflections with the small group. Pretty basic stuff written at a grade school level from a slightly left of center position, e.g. for the environment and against racism. Tended to be boring rather than challenging. The best part was talking about the scripture readings. So, I just picked music that fit the themes.

      The theory was that each parish should be a community of communities. Our large parish had about 20 small groups of about ten people each. Over about three years and thirty sessions you can get to know people.

      The problem was that the program was heavily dependent up RENEW materials, their training etc. They really did not teach people to continue the communities without RENEW

      A much better program is the Little Rock Scripture Study program started by the Diocese of Little Rock. It has also spread across the country.

      https://littlerockscripture.org/

      It uses the Liturgical Press Collegeville Bible Study materials which are both readable and scholarly. They encourage daily individual study combined with weekly small group meetings and monthly large group meetings. They include most of the books of the bible as well as thematic studies. They vary in length with the topic. I did an Introduction to Bible study which was about eight weeks and the Gospel of Mark which was about fourteen weeks.

      So, I guess I have spent about nine years of my life as a member of a parish small group, about half that as a small group facilitator and the other half as part of the core management group for the parish efforts.

      Delete
    3. I am familiar with Little Rock. It seemed dependent on a leader willing to put in hours of preparation, basically someone who had a paid parish job in continuing religious formation.

      In a small parish, the movie group worked well because it was more or less seen as family movie night, it was for fun, there was popcorn, the Church Ladies had no interest in it, and there was no leader, just an informal group. I enjoyed it.

      Delete