Sunday, February 6, 2022

Wordle

 

Photo courtesy of cnn.com

Have you played Wordle yet?  Apparently I am the last member of my family to discover it.  It has its charms.

The photo above the break illustrates how to play Wordle (the photo appears to be a live video, but it's really not, so don't click on the arrow; it's a still screenshot of a video).  The object of the game is to guess a five letter word.  There are no clues or hints.  The player is presented with five blanks, and a keyboard array with all the letters of the alphabet.  You get six tries to guess what the five letter word is.

As you can see, the player in the photo started by guessing "WATER".  Not a bad first guess: A,T, E and R are among the more commonly used letters in English.  If the letters you've guessed aren't in the solution (W, T and E in the photo above), they appear as grey on a dark background, and they're also greyed out on the keyboard below.  Letters which are in the solution but are in the wrong position appear with a golden background (A and R in the photo above).  Letters which are in the solution and are in the correct position appear with a green background.  So after one guess, the player knew that the solution contained the letters A and R, and also knew that A isn't in the second position, while R isn't in the fifth position.  So the possibilities are narrowed down a little bit.  After the fourth guess,the player knew that the word started with "CRA", and thanks to previous wrong guesses, also knew a bunch of letters which aren't in the word, and so the puzzle was solved on the next guess.

The game only accepts actual English words as guesses; so you can't start by typing, for example, "AEIOU" or "ETOAS".  I am an old crossword hand, and I had originally thought that, once I had a couple of letters in the right position, it would be a cinch to solve the puzzle - but it isn't.  For one thing, unlike a crossword, there are no clues to help the thinking process.  For another, Wordle only accepts actual words as guesses.  Suppose you know I is the third letter and T is somewhere in the word but not the first position.   Furthermore, you know that A, E, S and R are not in the word.  Go ahead and construct a five letter word which observes those requirements.  It takes a little thought.    

I am not certain the player in the photo knows what s/he is doing (but s/he might; I'm still very much a rookie, so that player may be using some strategy which hasn't dawned on me yet.)  His/her second guess is "LAIRS", which strikes me as kind of a wasted guess, as it keeps "A" in the 2nd position - but we already know A isn't in the second position, because that was already determined in the first guess.

I have been trying "ADIEU" as my first guess, as it utilizes four vowels.  (Of course, "adieu" is French, but the game accepts it).  It gives me a pretty good, if not perfect, idea of which vowels the word has.  But my daughters, who are more seasoned players than me, tell me "adieu" is not really such a clever guess.  One of them uses "TEARS" as her first guess; every letter in "TEARS" is among the most commonly used letters in English.  But my current line of thought, for what it's worth, is that five letters are not enough for the laws of average letter usage to apply very strongly.  The solution on one recent day was "POINT"; "TEARS" would have helped only a little (in fairness, one could say the same about "ADIEU").

What induced me to start playing it is that every morning around mid-morning, the other members of my family start texting the family group chat about how many guesses it took them to solve the puzzle. The best I've done so far is three attempts.  My average is about four attempts.  Others in my family have solved it in two a few times.  

Wordle was in the news this past week because the NY Times bought it from its creator, Josh Wardle (Wardle/Wordle, get it?), for a price described as "in the low seven figures".  Good for him for possibly getting paid enough to retire on.  As for the newspaper, one can only assume that its marketing deep thinkers have concluded that the kind of people who enjoy playing Wordle are the kind of people who enjoy reading the NY Times.  And even if Wordle players don't actually read newspapers (my children don't, my younger siblings don't; one fears newspapers are facing a bleak future), the NY Times' owning the game means that the owners will reap all the rewards from ad exposures, click-throughs, cookies and whatever other magical, pernicious electronic mites burrow into our devices and lives to tell the marketers more about us than we know about ourselves.  Indeed, according to Reuters, capturing visitors who don't read newspapers seems to be part of the NY Times' owners' strategy:

As the Times also seeks to grow paid readers outside its core news content, games and puzzles have become a key part of a strategy to keep its audience engaged on its apps and websites.

Its Games unit, which has more than one million subscriptions, started with the Daily Crossword, and later launched games such as Spelling Bee, Tiles, Letter Boxed and Vertex.

Wordle appeals to reasonably bright, busy people because it doesn't take very long to play, and it is challenging without being impossible.  Crossword connoisseurs know that the puzzle needs to be calibrated just right; too difficult and it gets frustrating; too easy and it gets boring.

If you haven't tried Wordle, I highly recommend it.  It's free (for now; Wordle fans are freaking out about the NY Times purchase, because much NY Times content ends up behind a subscriber wall, but the company has promised to keep it free - for now).  To play Wordle, just go to this URL:

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/


15 comments:

  1. I haven't tried Wordle yet, but plan to. My sisters are addicted to it. I used to be pretty good at the Jumble Puzzle. One thing that is appealing about Wordle is that there is only one puzzle a day, you can't disappear down a rabbit hole and spend hours at it.
    The NYT may be smart to keep it free. I'm sure there will be teasers to news stories on the site, encouraging people to subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing for a few days. I actually got yesterdays with the second guess. My approach is to first get the vowels out of the way with a word like "audio" or "adieu". It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's took me six attempts, my worst yet. Seems everyone else in the family did better than me. I think I'm cursed by knowing too many words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty did it in four in her first attempt. She does a lot of these types of puzzles. I will try to understand which games she likes, and what is attractive about them. Personally, I have no interest.

      Delete
  4. I just learned that this game exists about a week ago. It doesn’t interest me so I won’t be trying it. I don’t do crossword puzzles or soduku (?) either. Good luck to you who do enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pick and choose. I enjoy crosswords when I have time to tackle them. I'm not much of a Sudoku guy, as patterns of numbers don't interest me very much. I find words much more interesting. Our local newspaper has a figure-out-the-celebrity-quote feature on weekends. It's kind of like Wordle but instead of 5 blanks it's more like 50 or 60, divided into words. The word division helps. In some ways it's harder to figure out a single five letter word. I actually like Jumble, too: that's where you have to unscramble 5- and 6-letter words and then supply the word or phrase, using letters from the unscrambled words, to complete a quip.

      Many people consider murder mysteries to be puzzles to solve. I read a lot of them, but I don't actually try very hard to solve the mystery myself. I just enjoy reading about how the protagonist figured it out.

      Delete
  5. I have heard somewhere that these types of puzzles keep the mind sharp and may actually serve to be an Alzheimer's prevention tool. It's a happy thought but I don't know whether there is any science behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of possible interest: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/this-is-your-brain-on-crosswords/

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link, Jean. I too have read that doing puzzles might help ward off dementia. But I have also read that reading extensively, learning a foreign language, dancing, learning to play a musical instrument, etc might help too.

      The Nuns Study still fascinates me as it implies that it is important to stay mentally active. And the nuns also had the advantage of low stress once they retired.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nun_Study

      My French d-i-l grew up speaking French and Polish. Her parents started teaching her English when she was pre-school age. Before going to college, she spent a year in England to get her English skills to a high level, and then went to English universities from undergrad through the DPhil (PhD). She told me that she did English crossword puzzles regularly to improve her English language ability. She also speaks Spanish fluently, and can speak Russian and Hindi at a less fluent level. I can't even imagine doing French crossword puzzles. I don't even do English crossword puzzles. Although I did used to enjoy playing scrabble.

      Delete
    3. I just heard about another nun study on Radiolab: https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/vanishing-words-2112

      I have made sporadic attempts to keep up my Old English skills. I can still work it out, but the ability to recognize all those declensions and conjugations has slowed to a crawl.

      I'm not sure you can do anything to avoid dementia, though challenges can keep your mind running in positive grooves.

      Delete
  6. I guess it's similar to Wheel of Fortune (although that television program gives you a category) or even better, the old kid's game "Hangman".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty did some research on this new game. Seems that it is more mathematical, i.e., about letter probabilities, than about verbal skills.

      Delete
  7. I did best by using the same starter word each time--"break." It eliminates the two most common vowels and tips you off if common consonant clusters common in 5-letter words are present, like "truck," "acres," or "knock." I did it in two tries once, but 3-4 tries was my average. I notice the game is not timed. I did better the more games I played in a row, which you can do here if you have a lot of time to kill: https://wordlegame.org/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betty just announced that she did today's game in three.

    ReplyDelete