Saturday, December 25, 2021

How Many Books Does It Take?

 

How Many Books Does It Take to Make a Place Feel Like Home?


There’s a reason that some people won’t let go of their physical books — and a new term for it: ‘book-wrapt.’

Mr. Byers coined a term — “book-wrapt” — to describe the exhilarating comfort of a well-stocked library. The fusty spelling is no affectation, but an efficient packing of meaning into a tight space (which, when you think of it, also describes many libraries). To be surrounded by books is to be held rapt in an enchanted circle and to experience the rapture of being transported to other worlds.

So how many books does it take to feel book-wrapt? Mr. Byers cited a common belief that 1,000 is the minimum in any self-respecting home library. Then he quickly divided that number in half. Five hundred books ensure that a room “will begin to feel like a library,” he said. And even that number is negotiable. 

“What’s five times 40?” Alice Waters, the chef and food activist, recently asked. (The question was rhetorical.) “Two hundred, 400, 600, 800,” she calculated, apparently scanning the bookcases around her and adding up their contents (she was speaking on the phone). “And then probably another 800,” she said, referring to other rooms in her Berkeley, Calif., bungalow.

“Any large room looks wrong without the appropriate number of people in it,” Mr. Byers writes. “An unused living room looks empty. An empty ballroom is absolutely creepy; it looks as if it is waiting desperately for something to happen. A library, on the other hand, is delightful when full but still especially attractive when empty.”

And masses of books, he said, represent “delights that we hold in possibility” — the joy of being able to lift a hand and tap unexplored worlds. (Because who among us has read every single book in our libraries?) “I like to be in a room where I’ve read half the books, and I’d like there to be enough books that I cannot possibly read them in my remaining years,” he said.

This was a delightful article.  However, it confuses the idea of one's collection of books with a room that supposedly houses that collection.

Most of my rooms have bookcases in them, so I have always wondered how many books I have. They used to be rather well organized, but since I retired about twenty years ago, I have not kept up with the organization. So perhaps this will be the year to get things organized, and in the process to count them. 

Case-Western University has an annual book sale of donated books. They will even come out to your house and pick them up if you have enough books.

Since I like to underline books, I should also be able to count the number of books that I own that I have read.  Of course, over the years I have read a lot of books that I have borrowed from various libraries.    

12 comments:

  1. We have about seven bookcases full of books. We have donated at least that many more over the years to the "Friends of the Library" sale. Realistically there are not a lot of books that we re-read, and they might as well be given to a good cause. But a lot of them we don't want to part with. I thinned out my cookbooks a while back so that the remaining ones fit in a small bookcase, even though I get most of my recipes online these days.
    My book club is reading "The Woman They Could Not Silence", by Kate Moore, for January. I am having a hard time getting into it, the subject is too depressing. It is the true story of a woman in the 1800s who was confined to a mental institution against her will, for no better reason than that her husband wanted to get rid of her. I am longing for a good fiction read which isn't depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real world is depressing enough. For the last few years my fiction choices are purely escape reading. Mostly mysteries.

    Over the years I have given away hundreds or possibly thousands of books. Right now I have about four cardboard boxes ready for giveaway. I usually don’t buy fiction- I am a heavy user of the library for my escape reading. I buy books on religion and spirituality and, occasionally, politics or current affairs if the library doesn’t carry them. We also have a lot of classics, and I still have a dozen or so books of French literature in French. I need to get rid of those because I really don’t read and understand French very well anymore!

    But I can’t imagine not having books around and am sometimes surprised to visit beautiful, large homes of very “ successful” professionals with advanced degrees and not see a book anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it’s been a good Christmas for everyone in spite of Covid and all the other Scrooges this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you made it to your destination safely. Are you going to be staying long?
      We had a nice low key Christmas, just church and then dinner at home. Better than last year, not so much anxiety over Covid since we are triple-vaxxed. Lovely weather, calm clear day in the 50s for temperature. We are having family get-together on Jan. 1.

      Delete
    2. Had my family get-together on Christmas Day. Had a lively conversation on contemporary topics. Looking forward to our next family meeting at Easter. Maybe 2031?

      Delete
  4. Prayers please - my husband tested positive for Covid tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear that, Anne. Certainly am praying. Please keep us posted.

      Delete
    2. Sending prayers, Anne! I'm sorry to hear that.

      Delete
    3. Anne, sorry to hear that. Am praying now.

      Delete
  5. Sorry about this development. Betty and I will be praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess we have six bookcases around the house, all overfull, and both Therese and I have stacks of books by our bedsides. Most of the books I purchase are electronic, so I and some others in the house also have virtual "book cases" within our Kindles and Nooks.

    Some of the books in the bookcase go back to college days. I don't actually read most of them anymore, but I like the idea of reading some of them again someday :-).

    We give books to the local public library now and then - probably once every 2-3 years. I used to operate under the naive delusion that they turned my donated books into library books. Nope. They get so many donated books that they have several storerooms crammed floor to ceiling with them. They have big book sales once or twice a year to get rid of the donated stock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somebody in my bookclub posted this, of possible tangential interest here. Pew report on who reads and who doesn't: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/09/21/who-doesnt-read-books-in-america/

    I read at the rate of a book a week, usually fiction, but several non-fictions this year. I keep no physical books, don't care about having "stuff" around that I have to maintain other than a few books of my mother's.

    When I saw the end of my teaching career approaching, I gave a lot of stuff to colleagues and students who I thought might enjoy certain titles. I suppose as a teacher you believe it is our job to disseminate info, not hoard it. I really enjoyed the giveaway process.

    I do have about 1,000 racked up on my Kindle that Raber can access on his Kindle. I thought this might encourage him to get rid of some books, but he still has all our shelves filled with his stuff, largely religion, history, art, and architecture topics.

    ReplyDelete