Wednesday, July 21, 2021

May Perpetual Light Shine Upon Him


 My dad passed away on July 14.  He was 93 years old. His funeral was Tuesday, July 20.  This is a link to his obituary: Gene Nielsen Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information (prairiehillsfuneralhome.com)

He had suffered from congestive heart failure and pulmonary edema.  The past year had been pretty challenging for him, but he had been managing with the help of family.  The last week or so he had been hospitalized, and things went downhill pretty fast.  All of his kids were able to spend time with him during his last days, which I am thankful for.  We are all sad, but glad he didn't have to suffer longer.

My husband led the wake service and rosary the evening before the funeral.  I saw a lot of relatives that I hadn't seen for a long time at the funeral and the lunch at church afterwards.  We always say that it's too bad we wait for a funeral to get together with people, but that's usually the way it happens.  


6 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss, Katherine. That page is beautiful. That little sketch of his life in the obituary suggests a good, long, holy life.

    I'm really impressed by how deep your family's Nebraska roots are. They must have been some of the original settles of Ogalalla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. It says in Scripture that you know people by their fruits, and I think he had a good life, and left a lot of good memories.
      My family does have pioneer roots. Of course Nebraska was settled relatively late. Back east the history goes back a lot longer.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your father's life and death with us.

    It is good in these days of the post-industrial service economy to be connected to those who live in the agricultural world that long dominated the world economy.

    I have always been thankful that my grandparents were dairy farmers and that my dad was a steelworker. They seemed to embody the whole transformation of our world from agriculture through the industrial economy. Of course I was in the mental health service economy.

    May your life, your family, your friends and community continue to be enriched by his memory. Peace be upon all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss, Katherine. Even with extended age, it's no easier to lose a beloved parent. Your father is exactly what I expect someone from that part of the country to be. What you see is what you get and what you get is good. May perpetual light shine upon him.

    ReplyDelete