Sunday, April 25, 2021

Social Relationships and the Pandemic

This is an interesting NYT opinion piece. I checked out some of the "social science" data quoted. Feel free to disagree with it. I didn't find anything connected to a large body of data that could qualify as a lawful relationship that many social scientists might agreed upon. But the ideas and data are interesting as discussion points about our experience of relationships and  how the pandemic might have affected them. I have eliminated the author's speculation about what the future might or ought to be. 

The Pandemic Shrank Our Social Circles. Let’s Keep It That Way.

 The past year has forced a mass meditation on the nature and strength of our social ties. While our culture has encouraged us to accumulate friends, both on- and offline, like points, the pandemic has laid bare the distinction between quantity and quality of connections. There are those we’ve longed to see and those it’s been a relief not to see. The full reckoning will become apparent only when we can once again safely gather and invitations are — or are not — extended. Our social lives and social selves may never be the same.

My family ties have not changed much with the pandemic. They were all long distance phone calls before the pandemic and remain so with about the same frequency. They have become less frequent phone calls and  phone calls rather than visits as the closeness of the blood relationships have declined over the past two decades with the death of the older people in the family

Non family ties have declined during the pandemic as I have seen less of neighbors, church groups, etc. I have not missed talking to them, or going to their meetings.  

Research by Robin Dunbar, an evolutionary psychologist, shows that human beings have the cognitive capacity to accommodate only four to six close friends. These are the people in the top tier of your social network, for whom you have the greatest affinity and affection and who require daily or weekly interactions to maintain. Included in that group is typically your romantic partner and maybe a couple of family members.

Well maybe the key to interpreting Dunbar's point is cognitive capacity, to be distinguished from emotional  and situational capacities. For example through my entire life my parents were my two closest relationships. But there were many years and decades when I saw them or talked to them only a few times a  year, so that in those times they did not take up much cognitive capacity.  

Through my entire life there has been a whole network of family relationship, again people whom I saw only once or twice a  year or less. However once my parents died I kept up a phone relationship and personal visits relationship to two of my aunts, i.e. they replace my parents as my cognitive processing link to my family network, to keep up with what was happening.   

To be sure, there is a lot of churn in human social networks even in the best of times. Several studies show we replace as much as half of our social network every five to seven years. Little wonder when research also shows only half of our friendships are mutual. That is, only half of those who we think are our friends feel the same way about us. It just normally takes us a while to figure that out.

Certainly about half of my social network has changed over the years as I changed jobs, locations and involvement in various organizations such as parishes, Voice of the Faithful, Commonweal Local Community, etc.  

For example I was very involved as a voluntary pastoral staff member for a parish in Toledo for about four  years in the 1980s. Those relationships were very important for me then; I was also very important to the other staff members at that time, but it took me several years after I left the parish to live elsewhere to discover my importance to them. 

A lot of situational relationships — friends we’ve made through work or our kids’ schools and sports teams — have fallen by the wayside. And maybe that’s OK. “Once you don’t have those external forces making your contacts frequent, then you start realizing, ‘You know what? We really didn’t have that much to talk about,’” said Mario Luis Small, a professor of sociology at Harvard University who studies social ties. “‘And come to think about it, we haven’t actually confided anything deeply personal outside of that particular context.’”

Situational friendships are very interesting and comprise a large part of our lives. In my professional life I have always have a few fellow professionals who were basically situational friends. We processed with each other not only what was going in our professional lives but also our family lives as that impacted our professional lives. These would quality as part of Dunbar's few close relationships. However they also ceased once I left those professional environments.  At the time we gave each other our e-mail addresses, but without the situational environment of our professional lives there really was not much reason for the relationships to continue. We had not plugged into each others family lives or our religious lives (although we did discuss religion). 

Church related friendships are also very similar. Again a few close friends with whom I processed the parish, or other organization but not much reasons for the relationships to continue once the parish or organization was not longer important in our lives. 

William Rawlins, a professor emeritus of interpersonal communication at Ohio University, has interviewed people from age 4 to 100 about friendship and discovered that people have similar expectations when it comes to their friends: We want those who are there for us, who listen without judgment and understand what we’re going through. They may not agree with us, but they get us.

The underlined sentences are something I would connect to Dunbar's cognitive theory. A lot of the people in those close cognitive relationships are able to process certain environments (family, work, church) with us, understanding both us and their environments even though we might not agree on many things.  I could see a lot of evolutionary advantage to being able to do that in both the short and long term.  

Perhaps cognitive capacity explains the importance and the durability of this blog, that we are a diverse group of people who cognitively process certain environments with one another.  It does not really matter than we are not in the same physical situations, nor have the same personal networks, nor agree on everything.  We matters is with listen to one another, and understand one another, and our environments even if we do not agree with each other on some things.



11 comments:

  1. It is said that there are categories of friendship; that they are "for a season, a reason, or for a lifetime." Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference except in retrospect. I have been sad at times when some friendships turned out to be just for a season. But less sad when I reflected that sometimes people have come into my life for a reason; that they helped me, or I helped them, navigate a difficult time in life.
    There are definitely things that I didn't regret about pandemic quarantine and restrictions. Mostly I was fine that a lot of "Mickey Mouse" went away. I define that term as things tedious, pedantic, and needlessly time-wasting. But sure enough, now that we are returning to more normal conditions, some of the Mickey Mouse is coming back. I have the option of being able to decline to re-join these activities. My husband, as a deacon, is unfortunately obliged to take part in some parish and diocese things which are definitely needlessly time wasting, and which were on hold during the lockdown.
    One thing I am happy to do again is to see more of family. I haven't seen my dad at all since the pandemic, and my children and grandchildren only once in person. A year in the life of children means they have changed significantly. You blink and they're growing up. I am going out to see my dad next weekend now that I am more than two weeks post vaccination. The down side of that is psyching myself for driving several hours on the interstate, where I haven't been for a year and a half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The down side of that is psyching myself for driving several hours on the interstate, where I haven't been for a year and a half.

      Driving is scary. I learned to drive when I was sixteen and drove frequently during the last two years of high school. Then I was in novitiate for two years. It was scary to resume driving. Then during college and most of graduate school I would drive only in the summers. Again an adjustment.

      All of that went away when I got my own car. But it often returned when I would drive an unfamiliar rent-a-car. Driving is actually a dangerous thing so it is probably good that we have to psych our selves up for it.

      My aunt was afraid of the interstate in her old age. So when I drove her somewhere she always asked me to take her by the winding hilly roads of Western Pennsylvania. I was scared there! I didn't know what was coming after the next hill or curve!

      Delete
    2. I think it's good to learn to drive when you're young, because then it's second nature even if you have to re- accustom yourself to it after not going anyplace for a while. I know people who waited until their thirties to learn and they never get so they're comfortable.

      Delete
  2. I am comfortable driving anything. Might be my general comfort with machinery. I taught myself to drive stick on an old WWII army jeep at the army facility where I worked in the 60's and 70's. I knew the theory and the jeep drive train was indestructible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never learned to comfortably drive a manual transmission. Automatic transmissions are a great invention! The car I learned on was a '63 Dodge Polara. They had pushbutton transmissions, which were very user friendly. But Dad said they were a royal pain if you ever had to fix the transmission. Probably why they were a short lived feature.

      Delete
  3. Personally. I think the US is tipping into an "atomization" crisis. 'Let's have fewer friends' sounds to me like a recipe to reduce social capital in a society in which there already there is a grievous deficit. I also agree with conservatives who rue the weakening of family bonds. If both family and friendship bonds are attenuated, we're the worse off for it.

    Speaking as a working person, I'm also watching closely the trend, greatly exacerbated by the pandemic, of moving workers who formerly congregated in offices to work-from-home status. I see this as, again, reducing our social capital.

    One victim of atomization, istm, is romance and dating. The young adults in my family do a surprising amount of their interaction with their peers online. For love and romance, they turn to dating apps. I don't know if there is any solid research on the efficacy and long-term impacts of meeting significant others via apps rather than the tried-and-true, old-fashioned way of meeting potential life partners via friends and family members. In my view, it doesn't look very promising. But I'm a dinosaur in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing dating apps can do is act as a catalyst. I think it works better if the young people meet up with others in their geographical area, otherwise the long distance romances don't have very good staying power. One of my sons and his now-wife met through a dating app. Turns out they had many mutual friends and had actually been in the same room before, at mutual friends' wedding reception. The rest is history. But if there isn't any "there" there, a dating app isn't going to lead to anything.
      I agree with you that atomization isn't good. Being a nation of bowling alone isn't healthy. I say that even though I'm an introvert.

      Delete
  4. When I was young I thought being an introvert was a disadvantage, especially when it came to dating. However after I noticed that some of my age mates were on their second and third marriages, I decided being an introvert may have saved me from a disastrous marriage or even two! Also, I had been spared the drug and sexual experimentation cultures of the sixties.

    I also noticed that while I was not outgoing, I was a very good listener, and that attracted many people who were in need of help. My intellectual introverted manner helped me in dealing with these people without being overwhelmed by their problems and issues.

    As I got into management positions, my intellectual introverted manner was also very helpful. While it was clear to me that I never wanted to be a CEO who was constantly meeting new people, I could function very well near the pinnacle of organization structure by being a very reliable person who always listened, and who never tried to manipulate people. I did not need to be an extrovert since most of the time I was relating to the same people both inside and outside of my organization.

    I don’t think being an introvert has much to do with “bowling alone” or being “atomized” The point of bowling alone was that people were doing things together without actually being in supportive relationships. In my experience much of parish life has been like that. People are invited into program after program but they do not become members of long term supportive small groups.

    I hope that the pandemic will help many introverts discover that they have weathered the pandemic very well and don’t need to become involved in a lot of group activities. Many of them may have noticed that it is really the extraverts addicted to group activity who are not doing so well. The author of this article did suggest that we should be a lot more discriminating about our relationships in the post pandemic world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again - a lot is due to different personalities. Just as some prefer large, formal liturgies and others prefer small, quiet prayer, people prefer different types of social lives. Some love big parties, big events of all kinds. Some of us hate those.

    I learned about cutting down on superficial friendships many years ago. Most of the school, sports, church, work friendships were situational - once removed from the environment where we met frequently and had something in common, there was nothing to hold it together. I have mentioned before that I have a couple of specific small groups of friends who have been real friends for more than 40 years. My Centering Prayer group was very important to me. But we never saw one another socially however - only when we came together to pray and discuss.

    Over the years I had to learn to be true to myself. My husband is even more of an introvert than I am, so the first things to go were large social events, especially Christmas parties. We learned that we could say we couldn't make it. At some point I cut the Christmas card list to about 25 from about 90. What a relief. Over these many years I also learned who were only friends for a season, and who for a lifetime - very, very few in that category, including among my birth family. There is nothing wrong with non-lifetime friendships - for a season or a reason.

    I am not close to my siblings, and have only one cousin that I have kept up with over the years. I worked freelance for most of my career and so I usually worked from home. After going freelance, I loved being out of the office with all the gossip and time wasting and office politics. However, I did become friends with two colleagues from a couple of projects. They are men about 15 years younger than I am (most of the projects I worked on were male-dominated fields). We used to meet a few times/year for lunch after the last shared project ended. Then it became once/year. And now, very rarely, but we do keep up with Christmas cards and on FB. They are still working, but I stopped working several years ago (because of my hearing loss). I have never missed the large group activities, or the acquaintances we made through our kids activities, once the activities were over and the kids out of the house. I even learned that the big extended family gatherings at Thanksgiving and Christmas could be skipped and we would enjoy them more with just our own family and a few unofficial chosen "family" whom we invited for dinner. I do have one very good friend from my youngest son's college sports career - but she lives in Vancouver, so we mostly email and occasional phone calls. We visited them there a few years back and they often come to the US, so sometimes we get together. Their son will be permanently in the US.

    Jack: hope that the pandemic will help many introverts discover that they have weathered the pandemic very well and don’t need to become involved in a lot of group activities. Many of them may have noticed that it is really the extraverts addicted to group activity who are not doing so well."

    I think this is very true. I have seen this with a couple of high extravert friends. Our own lives (my husband and mine) have not been much impacted by the quarantines - we were able to spend Christmas with two of our sons' families, and stayed with our oldest son for more than 3 months after. So we have been fine.

    (P.S. - my oldest son and his wife met via a dating app).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stanley, I responded to your comment about going to Hatteras on the Ten Years of the new translation thread.

    ReplyDelete