Sunday, November 15, 2020

Preparing for what comes next

 This is my homily for today, the 33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle A.  The readings for this week are here.

A week ago last Tuesday, I served as an election judge for one of our local precincts in Arlington Heights.  We had some slow hours, so I had the opportunity to get to know my fellow judges.  Of the five judges assigned to this precinct, three of us were adults.  The other two were teens, juniors from New Trier High School in Wilmette.  They were nice kids.  One plays on the field hockey team.  The other does swimming and plays water polo.  So they both have some athletic talent, but neither thinks athletics will be enough to carry them through life.  They’re not entirely sure yet what they want to do after high school, beyond some rather vague plans to go to college.

The junior year of high school is an important year because it’s the year when high school students need to lift their eyes above the horizon of high school, and start thinking seriously about what comes afterward. It’s the year that college promotional materials start filling the mailboxes of their homes.   It’s the year they take the ACT or the SAT for real.  They’re being measured for what comes next, revealing to college admissions boards their talents and limitations which either will open doors of opportunity for them, or perhaps constrain their college options and choices.  

The junior year of high school: it’s a time that prompts these young men and women to start thinking about their futures more seriously and comprehensively than most of them have up until that point in their lives.  Looming over all this activity and these considerations is the big question: what do you want to do with the rest of your life?  

So it is for all of us, too.  We’ve reached the point in the liturgical year in which we’re prompted to contemplate what comes next for us.  This world we live in, these lives we’re living, will not last forever.  This all will end.  What comes next, and what is to be our part in it all?  What are our gifts, and our opportunities, and what are we to do with them to prepare for what comes next?

We tend to think that whatever aptitudes we have are a result of our own native abilities.  But in fact, if we have talents, they are gifts from God.  We haven’t earned our talents, and we don’t deserve them.  They are not ours.  We can think of our talents as assets, or wealth, which God has blessed us with.  And the meaning of today’s parable of the master who gave talents to his servants is clear: our talents are not to be used for our own desires and purposes, but rather for God’s purposes.  We like to think of ourselves as our own, independent masters.  But we Christians know better: we are not masters but servants, and the one whom we serve is God and his kingdom.

In short: we must put our talents to work, not for our own benefit, but to build God’s kingdom.  And today’s parable makes it clear that that is the basis on which we are to be judged on our own judgment day.  That will happen, either when our master comes to earth again, or when we die.  

Just pause and think about that for a moment, because it’s an important point: this judgment which we all will face, is sort of our own ACT or SAT test.  Except we’re not going to be judged on our intelligence, or our ability to prepare for standardized tests.  Instead, we are going to be judged on what we did with the gifts, the talents, with which God blessed us.  And if we have not put them to good use, if all we did was bury them in the ground while we pursued our own pleasures and ambitions, then – the judgment may not go well for us.

Like high school juniors, we’re called, today and every day, to do our best to understand what talents and gifts we’ve been given; and then, like high school juniors, we must figure out what to do with them.  High school juniors in our local community are groomed and prepared to go to college.  But we Christians should be preparing ourselves and one another to build up God’s kingdom.  The two questions we need to be asking ourselves are: (1) what are my talents; and (2) how can I use them to build up God’s kingdom?

Let me offer a couple of considerations about this.  The first is: building up God’s kingdom may be quite different than building up wealth here on earth.  Instead of using money as the measure of how well we’re doing, I’d like to suggest a different metric: good fruits.  I think it’s likely that the currency in God’s kingdom is not gold, but rather good fruits.  If we are making good use of our talents as God wishes us to, then we are bringing about good fruits.  If we rear children who are good people and who believe in God, then as parents we are bearing good fruits.  If we are helping to resolve the conflicts we have with others and spread peace, then we are bearing good fruits.  If we are bringing hope where there is despair, then we are bearing good fruits.  If we are being a friend to a lonely person, or loving someone who hasn’t been loved enough, then we are bearing good fruits.  Those activities may not make us wealthy in this earthly kingdom, but heaven measures wealth differently.

The second consideration is: you may be blessed with talents and gifts which can’t be monetized in this life, but for which you will be rewarded lavishly in the kingdom to come – if you put those talents to work as our master wishes.  For example: in the marketplace here on earth, there is basically no value at all to be good at praying.  But in God’s kingdom, being good at praying is a wonderful talent to possess.  If you are good at praying, then – run with that!  Likewise, here on earth, helping others in need usually is a low-paying job; but in God’s kingdom, it will earn us great reward.  

We’re all like high school juniors: trying to figure out what we’re good at, and what to do with the talents we’ve been given.  But we can’t wait too long to decide.  The master is coming back soon, and we must be ready.


19 comments:

  1. I like that you gave examples of "good fruits."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting, according to Merriam Webster, that our present word "talent" for describing one's gifts and abilities originated with that Matthew gospel account of a talent being a unit of currency. But of course it was used as a metaphor by Jesus.
    This gospel reading always makes me vaguely uneasy. I hope I'm not the slacker that didn't use my abilities to build the kingdom. I know I'm not the first servant that had the greatest return on his investment. Probably the best that can be applied to me is Luke 17:10," So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’”
    Probably the evangelical counsel I have most followed is "Feed my lambs, feed my sheep." Not in a missionary sense, but literally. Like all moms I have made a lot of meals for a lot of people a lot of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our old priest used to talk a lot about parents getting up on the "cross" to rear and care for children every day. He had a knack for making small things seem like contributions to the Kingdom.

      Delete
    2. Katherine, I am sure you are selling yourself short! I bet Deacon K could wax eloquent on what you've done for him, the family and the faith community.

      The parable makes me uneasy, too - but I also think that we tend to be our own toughest critics (at least I do). I'm occasionally amazed when people express appreciation to me for things about which I've scarcely given a thought - they are just sort of everyday, second-nature things but apparently mean a lot to people.

      Delete
    3. Jean and Katherine - I don't know a lot about St. Therese of Lisieux, but what you are discussing sounds a lot to me like the "Little Way", as I understand it.

      Delete
    4. Jim, yes, the Little Way has a lot to teach us.
      And a favorite of mine is "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence. He said "The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer, and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen...I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were on my knees before the Blessed Sacrament." Unfortunately I'm not there yet. I have a lot of trouble praying when there are distractions.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of the examples, but have a problem with one of them - If we rear children who are good people and who believe in God, then as parents we are bearing good fruits."

    I have known many people - good parents - who have raised kids who fell into drugs, or who decided that shoplifting might be a good way to get the things they want. Are they failing to use their gifts because the child doesn't follow the script? Or maybe the child isn't a young juvenile delinquent, but does not "love God" - because that child does not believe there is a God? Maybe the "good" child who is docile about going to church and doing and saying what the parents want them to do and say, is not as much of an example of "good fruit" as the atheist child who is spending weekends volunteering at the homeless shelter and summers building houses for Habitat in a third world country, and is getting a law degree in order to pursue a career helping those who can't afford lawyers - pro bono immigration work for example. The dutiful child might go to law school too - in hopes of joining a big ticket law firm, becoming partner and earning millions. I'm guessing that there might be at least a couple of parents in the pews on Sundays who may feel like total failures because their kids don't fit the definition of "good fruit".

    I also have a bit of a problem with the passage at the end of this parable - For to everyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; but from the one who has not,even what he has will be taken away..

    Seems like a passage that the prosperity gospel preachers would like. The entire parable could easily be interpreted to support the notion that becoming rich is the goal - the prosperity gospel again.

    Explaining it in terms of individual gifts that should be used to build the kingdom is good. But the bible literalists very likely use that passage to mean something else entirely.

    JFK quoted a different passage in a speech, one often quoted and reflects what Jim is saying

    To whom much is given, much will be required (Luke 12:48)

    I was given a lot- totally undeserved. I struggle in my conscience because I have not given back - at least not nearly enough. But we did raise kids who are "good" people not just responsible, or loving parents and husbands, but overall kind, caring, giving. But not church-goers. One might be an atheist these days - not sure. His wife is an atheist. I think our son might simply be agnostic. Both of them are very good people though.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, many thanks for those comments. I struggled a little bit with that example, too. Not all of my kids are churchgoers, either. But that is not always the same as knowing and believing in Jesus. I am sure that you and your husband planted seeds with your children, even if they didn't always sprout as you envisioned, and that one way or another, your children are bearing good fruit.

      Delete
    2. One of my sisters had struggled with substance abuse and has had other problems with the law. My parents did all the "right things", although in retrospect they were quite clueless about mental illness and its effects on children and teens. This sister of mine is not exactly a model citizen - but she does have faith. If she goes to church at all, it is on her own terms (everything she does in life is on her own terms). But somehow she picked up faith along the way, and I am sure my parents are largely responsible for it, and I am sure it helps her face her many and various tribulations. She is also a kind and generous person. I'd like to think that someone like her would have as good, or better, chance of getting into heaven than someone who has lived a life of perfect rectitude.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I get where you are coming from. You sow the seeds, but you can't force them to believe.

      Delete
    4. Jim, what you described with your sister sounds similar to what my husband's brother went through. His parents agonized over what they might have done wrong. From what I could see, they didn't do anything wrong. But I don't think anyone understood that at least part of the time he was suffering from mental illness. Unfortunately he is no longer living.

      Delete
  4. Jim, I'm glad that your sister has something helping her hold it all together - in her case, faith.

    I actually don't mind at all that my sons are not religious. One goes to church - but mostly because of his wife. He is a "believer" but he is not specifically a believer in Roman Catholicism. The eldest is very anti-RC church - he will probably never forgive the church for the sexual abuse scandal. His wife is pretty anti religion too. But they send their 6 year old to a small Lutheran school and don't mind that he is being exposed to christian beliefs. They are comfortable because the church and school are very progressive, welcoming gay families for example. The son whose wife is an atheist - who knows? It is not something we discuss. He went along with church growing up, but has never seemed very interested in either religion or spirituality. His French/Polish wife is the definite atheist in the group. I was a bit surprised that they only had a civil marriage in Poland (the legal marriage) and did not have anything in the church. I thought they might also have a church ceremony (both are at least baptized Catholics so they probably could have had one), just to please her grandparents, whom she adored. She is very opposed to the church's influence in Poland. There is very little RC influence in France these days.
    We raised them with a foundation, but made it clear to them that as adults they need not fear our reaction if they chose to be atheists, agnostics, or join a different christian church, or a different religion all together. But, I confess I would probably object if any of them became evangelical christians - it wasn't even something that crossed my mind as a possibility when they were growing up. There seems little danger of that though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I would not have wanted my kids to be Evangelicals, either. Though one set of grandparents and my mother in law were Evangelical Christians, and were lovely people. My father in law was one who prayed and read the Bible, but didn't belong to a church for most of his life. He did join his wife's church late in life.

      Delete
    3. Hi Anne - whether my sister is holding it all together from moment to moment is an open question! But I think faith can be a comfort or a lifeline even for people who aren't actually all that together.

      Delete
    4. I am so sorry about your sister, your parents, and others trying to deal with the situation. It takes a good deal of work to learn to accept addicts without guilt or enabling. If she has children, I hope other family members can provide stability and support. Although addiction in my family was never discussed, my grandmothers and an uncle were a godsend when I was growing up in ways I don't think they ever understood.

      Delete
  5. Off topic, but please remember Gene and Guadalupe Palumbo in your prayers. Hurricane Iota is headed for Central America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. Yes. May they be kept safe through this latest climate change horror.

      Delete
  6. Thanks very much for thinking of us and praying for us. We've gotten off fairly easily where we live (San Salvador), with heavy rain but not a great deal more; but for many others -- in El Salvador and, even more, in neighboring countries -- it's been very rough. You can read more about it here:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-54995478
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/18/weather/tropical-storm-iota-wednesday/index.html

    ReplyDelete