Saturday, October 24, 2020

Voting report

 I voted today, via a mail-in ballot. 

The ballot showed up in the mail yesterday, and serendipitously, the Chicago Tribune chose to publish its who-to-vote-for guide in this morning's newspaper.*  

I am not alone in voting early.  David French, in a newsletter published earlier today, reported that 52 million early ballots already have been cast - some 40% of the total number of votes cast (in all forms, including mail-in, early voting, absentee and in-person) in the 2016 election, with this election still some 11 days away.   Jim Geraghty, in a different newsletter from a couple of days ago, notes that the early voting is not evenly spread across the political spectrum - and that might have an effect on election-night results reporting:

In many states, registered Democrats are returning absentee ballots in higher numbers than registered Republicans, and in polls, self-identified Democrats are expressing much greater interest in voting by mail or voting early than self-identified Republicans. If the early vote is mostly Democrats, and the Election Day turnout is mostly Republicans, this will have two effects on early perceptions of who is “winning.”

First, the early “waves” of tallies may well look like a Democratic landslide, if counting begins with the previously tabulated early votes. Then, as the Election Day tallies are added, the numbers will gradually (or perhaps not-so-gradually) shift towards Republicans.

This was the first time I've voted by mail.  It was a little nerve-wracking, but the instructions were reasonably clear, and I think I got it right.  One votes for one's candidate by coloring in the dot next to her/his name - just like those standardized tests I had to take in elementary school in the 1960s and 70s.  The instructions warned not to color outside the lines, so I took my time.  

Besides the usual races for president, US Senate, US House, the state legislature and various county races (including deciding whether or not to retain at least 25-30 judges), there is a referendum on the ballot to amend our state's constitution to permit a progressive income tax to be imposed.  As things stand today, our state constitution mandates that Illinois is a "flat tax" state: in theory, everyone pays the same 4.95% income tax.  The Wall Street Journal would tell us that this means that billionaires in Illinois pay far more in income tax dollars than people in the lower quintiles.  But the governor and state legislature want to change the tax code from a flat tax to a progressive tax: taxpayers in the highest brackets would be charged a higher percentage of their income than those in the lower brackets.  The purpose, of course, is to raise additional revenues; Illinois' shortfall on its ability to meet projected pension obligations, and its credit rating, are the very worst among all the states and are virtually beyond repair.  Our governor, JB Pritzker, who is among Illinois' billionaires, has, Michael Bloomberg-like, poured $56 million of his own money into an ad campaign to convince Illinoisans to vote "yes" on the referendum.  They've dubbed the amendment the "Fair Tax".  Its prospects are uncertain; it is not easy to amend the constitution.  The referendum must receive 60% Yes votes from people who voted on the referendum, or 50% Yes votes from all voters in the election (whether or not they voted on the referendum).  

After casting my votes, I put my ballot sheets in the provided envelope, sealed it and stuck it in our mailbox on the front stoop for the outgoing mail.  No postage required.  I have a great and possibly naive faith in the US Post Office to get the mail delivered correctly and on time.  I've never been burned by the Post Office - so far.  One of my kids voted by mail a few days ago and received confirmation back from the county clerk that they received the ballot, so that's some confirmation that the process works.

Originally, I had elected to vote by mail for the same reason as many other voters: to avoid the risk of person-to-person interaction at a polling place on November 3rd.  But, having thought more about the situation this year, I've raised my hand to be an election judge.  I've taken the required class (online-only this year) and am awaiting a precinct assignment.  So I'll be exposed.  But someone has to show up to do this stuff if we're going to have an election.

* In Cook County, IL, the ballot has so many judges' races and judges up for retention that it's impossible for a legal layperson to make responsible decisions.  Newspapers perform a necessary service by researching the races and making thoughtful recommendations.

12 comments:

  1. I think I mentioned I voted a couple of weeks ago. I delivered our ballots because I don't trust Trumpmail anymore than I trust TrumpCensus or Trumpappointments. Someone doesn't trust me, either. The first instance of armed do-it-yourself "guards" showing up at polling places has been reported on the other side of the state. They said the work for the GOP; the GOP said they don't. But the reason I got it done early is that there are simply not going to be enough poll workers during early voting, when the crowds are big, nor on election day, when the crowds are smaller (go figure).

    I commend you for serving.

    If the new normal continues, the newspapers are going to have to figure out how to get their endorsements out earlier. And the candidates will have to plan their campaigns earlier. As I said, we've already voted, but now our mailbox is stuffed with election bids, and television is wall to wall attack ads.

    It does appear that the Ds are voting early by mail and the Rs held back, as ordered, until they could do it in person. That means the early reports from the counties will favor one or the other party, depending on the order in which the votes are counted. And that means someone will claim victory prematurely and fraud when the later tranches are counted. We know that, and should -- but won't -- take it in stride.

    And, yeah, I never knew what to do about judges even back when I interviewed them as part of an editorial board. How is a non-lawyer/voter supposed to figure out who knows the law best and will apply it most evenly?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom: re: the mail service: I don't underestimate the mischief that a Trump appointee can commit, but on the whole, I just don't see postal workers at the grassroots getting with that program. My experience of them is that they do their jobs, often pretty cheerfully, and the mail goes through. God bless them.

      I agree with you completely about one side or the other declaring victory prematurely. It's a little more complicated than some commentary I've seen. Some of the states actually can begin tallying votes prior to election day. Florida is on that list, and it seems that over 3 million Floridians already have voted (this as per the Geraghty newsletter, which was published back on Oct 21, which I referenced in the post; presumably the number has increased since then). According to my back-of-the-envelope calculations, with a little help from Google, that could represent as much as a third of the votes Florida will cast. Florida could easily run the risk of a premature "calling" by one side or the other, or by a television network looking to get a jump on its competitors. I guess the way we need to think about this is: there will be many votes to count before election day; many to count on election day; and many to count after election day (because of last-minute-arriving mail-in votes, absentee ballots, et al). Everyone is well-advised to keep their champagne bottles corked, at least until mid-November.

      Delete
  2. I voted a couple of weeks ago also, by absentee ballot. We dropped ours off at the court house. Not that we didn't trust the post office, but the court house is nearby and the postage to mail them would have been $1.20 each.
    About judges on the ballot, our older son posted a link to the Nebraska Bar Association ratings on Facebook, which was helpful.
    Jim, good for you for volunteering. Get a hold of a KN95 mask and you should be okay.
    My mom and my paternal grandma used to be poll volunteers (opposite parties). The polling place was a car dealership. There was always a box of donuts around. I would show up after school to mooch donuts. Of course that would be out with Covid precautions now.
    I wish they wouldn't even make any announcements until everything is counted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there are no donuts, I'm going to be seriously bummed out!

      It will be a long day; the polls here open at 6 am and don't close until 7 pm. And then after that there is equipment that needs to be taken down and packed up; and then someone has to drive the ballots to the delivery center. As I'll be the fresher / rookie, I could easily imagine getting stuck with that.

      Delete
    2. Voting by mail is free in Florida. The ballots come with postage-paid envelopes. It's cute for every state to have its own little traditions, but they do get in the way for people who move around a lot, as Americans used to do. All but two of my father's eight siblings stayed in the same area. My five kids are in four different states. The one I just got off the phone with has lived in four states since he reached voting age. And he is a lawyer; they usually hold still.

      Delete
  3. Gaaah! I see that Trump is going to do a rally in Omaha this coming Tuesday at Eppley Airfield. Needless to say we won't be going. (actually it's somewhat smart to do it at the airport, where security is already pretty tight.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also an excuse to use the American taxpayers' Air Force One as a backdrop.

      Delete
    2. And good luck to anyone who needs to get a flight in or out of there on Tuesday!

      Delete
  4. My friend Betty (who is isolating with me for the pandemic) got a pleasant surprise the other day when she went in for one of her medical appointments. There was a voting area in the medical complex. She had thirty years as a medical technician, so she was quickly able to assess that it was being run in a very safe manner. So she voted there on the spot. Fortunately we don’t have many of those (never heard of any of the candidates) choices this time around.

    Yesterday was the highest number of new cases. Since the race is really between Trump and the Virus, it looks like the Virus is going to win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We voted early but unfortunately still have to suffer the verdämte campaign ads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take the campaign ads anymore. They are worse than ever this year. As soon as one comes on, I turn the channel or turn off the television.

      Delete
  6. I will add my kudos to Jim for working the polls! It's a very long day, though if a lot of people voted early, you might have a lot of sitting around time. I send you donuts in spirit.

    ReplyDelete