Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The pyre of Denethor

You thought that this unparalleled year of mayhem, disaster and suffering is AD 2020.  But maybe we're living through TA 3019.

Yeah, ok, we've got a pandemic, with the virus now apparently intent on making the White House the newest hot spot.  And we've got a cratered economy.  And hurricanes (put on your seatbelt again, Louisiana).  And wildfires.  And we're all going to seed in our homes.  Meanwhile, government aid both for individuals and businesses is in peril, and in some cases ran out quite a long time ago.  People are not asking, "Should I rebalance my retirement investments this coming year?"  No, they are asking, "How many more days can I bleed red ink from this business before I have to lay off all my employees and declare bankruptcy?"  And, "How many more times can I miss my mortgage payment before we lose our home?"  And, "Will my children get any dinner tonight?"

It's enough to make one feel that a terrible host from Minas Morgul has swarmed across the Great River, taken the Causeway forts, burst through the surrounding walls at many places, and filled the Pelennor fields, from which the invaders have mounted a terrifying siege and assault upon the capital city.  The Nazgul upon their monstrous winged steeds are spreading dread from above with their piercing cries, the outermost ring of the city is on fire, and the city gates have been smashed.

If all that were going on, it would seem to be about the worst possible time for the Steward of Gondor to abandon the raging battle and decide instead to carry his wounded son to the Houses of the Dead, and lay him upon a table piled high with firewood and drenched in oil, preparatory to burning the two of them alive.   It would be difficult to imagine a less helpful or more futile act, or a more brazen dereliction of responsibility.

That memorable scene from The Lord of the Rings came to mind when I heard the puzzling, frustrating, mind-boggling news today that President Trump, newly (and likely prematurely) back in the White House after his brief round of treatment for COVID-19 at Walter Reed, has taken up the battle against the pandemic by ... unilaterally breaking off negotiations with Democratic leadership for a new and much-needed round of economic aid for individuals and businesses.  This comes at a time when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin had been negotiating for days to reach agreement on aid for the American people and their employers.  

In an e-newsletter I receive from PBS NewsHour, Lisa Desjardins recaps the likely effects of this decision:

  • On people: government aid, currently at $300-$400/week under an executive order, will run out in a few weeks.  The two sides had been negotiating to keep similar amounts flowing to the 11 million unemployed.  But as a result of the president's action today, that amount will get knocked down to an average of $180/week.
  • On businesses: applications to the Paycheck Protection Program ended two months ago.  Without this deal, the program will not be extended.  Restaurants and other venues that had been relying on outdoor dining and entertainment are now facing cold-weather season in the North.  And airlines are planning to furlough tens of thousands of employees.
  • On schools: School districts, and I believe private schools as well, were to receive $100 billion in aid which could be used for deep cleaning and distance learning.  That money now won't be coming
  • On coronavirus testing: Lawmakers were said to be close to agreeing on $75 billion in funding for testing when the president pulled the plug.
Forgot to mention: this is all on the eve of a national election.  Desjardins also looked at some of the political impacts of this decision.  She notes,

Roughly a dozen Democratic and Republican sources at the Capitol told the Newshour the president’s decision was “confusing” and did not have a clear political upside for him or his party.
Until today, Republicans had argued that Democrats were the prime obstacle in the way of a COVID relief deal. But the president’s decision to so publicly walk away, reminiscent of his handling of the 2018 shutdown, placed the responsibility (and the blame) firmly on his shoulders.
Trump’s move could help vulnerable Democrats, who can argue they are solutions-oriented while Republicans are playing politics with critical coronavirus aid.

If there is any political sense to this decision, I can't see it.  The president's chances of reelection grow dimmer with each passing day and each new poll showing him trailing in key swing states.  But a president, at least a conventional president, doesn't only run for re-election on his own behalf; he also is the leader of his party, and much beyond the presidential race depends on his efforts and his success.  To name one obvious instance, majority control of the Senate rides on the outcome of the November election - and the prospects for the GOP retaining control were not good, even before this policy announcement.

Now that the president is back on his feet (or in his recliner watching Fox News and tweeting a lot), he apparently has decided, If I'm going to go down, I'm going to take the entire party down with me, too.  

In one of those little pearls of wisdom which the wizard Gandalf was wont to drop throughout the book, he admonishes Denethor, "Authority is not given to you, Steward of Gondor, to order the hour of your death.  And only the heathen kings, under the domination of the Dark Power, did thus, slaying themselves in pride and despair, murdering their kin to ease their own death."

 From here, it looks as though the president had laid, not only himself, but his entire party, upon the woodpile, and is about to thrust the torch into it.  And not a Gandalf, not a Peregrin Took, not a Beregond of the Guard in sight to intervene.

27 comments:

  1. "Turnberry hotelier tests positive for coronavirus."
    -- Headline in the Ayr Advertiser, local newspaper in Scotland


    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the meds are making him loopy. Of course he was already loopy. But you're right, it doesn't make any sense. I wonder if there's any chance his own party can convince him to walk it back, since it's bound to hurt the down ticket Republicans. He apparently thinks he can win the election by holding relief funds hostage.
    I'm guessing this subject may come up in the Pence and Harris debate tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of the debate, Pence reportedly objects to Harris' request for plexiglass partitions. My question, why are they even thinking of an in-person event? Do it remotely. A debate in person is the epitome of a germ spewing event, with the participants yelling for 90 minutes.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, and the Orcs are headed for the Iron Range in Minnesota and parts of Alaska to denude the forests with their mining equipment. JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!

    Most pro-life Dark Lord in the history of Middle Earth. LAW AND ORDER! LIBERATE MICHIGAN! STEROIDS FOR ALL! RELEASE THE WARGS!

    Just another day in the Republican Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off topic: update on Barrett.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/amy-coney-barrett-people-of-praise/2020/10/06/5f497d8c-0781-11eb-859b-f9c27abe638d_story.html

    Another article notes that both she and her husband lived in the group house of the local leader of the People of Praise community. They have said only that they met while students. A former member has said that others married after living in that group home, and that the leaders “guided” their young adult members towards marriage. The community I encountered briefly also effectively arranged marriages. Sort of like the Moonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in college (at Kearney State), there were students who lived in housing at the Newman Center. My brother lived at Ag Men at UNL; it was a co-op house for farm and ranch kids. There was Beta Sig house, a Lutheran fraternity. Not to mention the whole Greek system (typically pairing a fraternity with a "sister house" sorority). So not so unusual for students to self-sort, but I don't think any of these pushed dating or courtship relationships. That would be disturbing if they did.

      Delete
    2. Group house? Sound like a couple of hippies to me.

      Delete
  5. An article by the NYT on Pence may help to explain things.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/07/us/politics/mike-pence-debate.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

    While religious conservative may have been reassured by Pence's values, beliefs, and behavior, the article suggests they have become attracted to Trump's style because it has produced results for them.

    So Trump wants full attention focused on the Supreme court nomination and wants it done before the election. Stimulus negotiations are not going to result in a clear win of him over the Democrats so they can wait to after the election.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe Biden gave a good speech at Gettysburg (I think on Monday?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting back to the subject, I am in awe that you remember such detail. I watched the whole epic over two nights on a comfortable couch with the grandkids. All I remember is that Orlando Bloom can get an arrow out of his quiver, thread it and hit someone between the eyes before his foe can hit him with a nunchuck. I am amazed at how much I seem to have missed.

    I guess I won't be taking the Hobbits to Isengard any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misspent youth, and adulthood, on my part. If you read the books enough times, and then hang out in geekie LoTR forums where they discuss this stuff, some of it sort of soaks in. Among the geeks, I'm the rankest of amateurs. The true believers would have written this post in Elvish, including using the characters.

      Delete
  8. I did not see the movies. I read all four books more than 40 years ago, but remember very little at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen a couple of the movies, and tried to get into the books. I regret that I didn't complete the series, but I think I waited about 20 years too late.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I trudged through them all during my lunch hours when I worked at the World Bank. Worked my way through Jane Austen too - much more enjoyable for me than the Tolkien books. Now I give up faster if books don't catch me early and I move on to the next.

    My son sat me down to watch one of the movies at some point. By the time it was on the umpteenth endless battle scene I had had enough, and gave up. The NZ scenery was beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really liked Sense and Sensibility, made it through Emma after two attempts. Gave up on Pride and Prejudice, and Austin in general, after about 4 chapters.

      Not as big a Colin Firth fan as my wife, but liked the bosomy costumes in the Nineties-vintage miniseries.

      Delete
    2. Listened to recordings of all three of the big Austen novels on longish road trips. That was a more or less painless way to do it.
      Did any of you watch Sanditon? Only the first part was actually Jane Austen's work. She left it unfinished, and how they finished the story up for television was very un-Austen. I don't think she ever did go quite as dark as some of the characters.

      Delete
    3. Oh, God, I wrote a screed about Sanditon for my book club. The unfinished novel could have progressed and ended in a number of ways, as I painstakingly delineated for the three or four people who bothered to read it. The novel could even have got quite dark, as Mansfield Park did. But Andrew Davies, who did a good job on the Firth-Ehle version of P&P, made an utter hash of it. Shame, shame. Such a disservice to some good actors not to mention Austen Herself.

      Delete
    4. Jean, no argument from me, I didn't like it. It was one of those things like a train wreck that I had to keep watching. And my husband said, "don't you want to find out what happened?" But he admitted it was dumb too.

      Delete
    5. As a general rule, I'll watch whatever appears on Sunday evenings on PBS, but I'm completely costume drama'd out by this time. I ended up taking a pass on Sanditon, Victoria (after a pretty good first season), and the two India-situated series which have been on in recent months/years. Also gave up on the Durrells in Corfu after one season. After Downton Abbey and then Poldark, no more costumes for a while.

      Delete
    6. Didn't make it through one season of the Durrells, even though the scenery was beautiful. I kept thinking, "And how exactly was this all supposed to work out?"
      Haven't seen Beecham House yet. Though I did love Good Karma Hospital.

      Delete
    7. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    8. "don't you want to find out what happened?"

      Hahaha! The hours I wasted on finding out what happened in life, in books, and on TV will be the ones I regret on my death bed.

      Humorous aside: My dad loathed anything on PBS except for "The Claudius Show" (aka "I, Claudius"). He sat on the edge of his chair and after just about every episode would say, "That poor son of a bitch isn't as dumb as everybody thinks he is." He was right of course.

      And he was also right about "Emma." He was on hospice, and I turned it on for my mom. Dad said, "Oh, God, no," as soon as he saw the opener and heard the British accents, took his morphine, and went off snoring in his recliner. He woke up when the credits were rolling and said, "Did she get everybody married off?" I was astounded that he could watch 20 minutes of that movie and figure out that much about it. On dope.

      Delete
    9. We watched "I Claudius". The character I remember best was his wife. One of those people who look like butter wouldn't melt in their mouth. But she was anything but innocent. And it's kind of bad when your mother hands you a knife and says "you better kill yourself, because if you don't, somebody's going to do it for you, and it won't be pretty."

      Delete
    10. Messalina. She was a sweetheart compared to John Hurt as Caligula.

      Delete
  11. I prefer to remember Tolkien as an inspired Anglo-Saxon scholar and translator.

    LOTR is his synthesis of English/Celtic mythology into something like a Norse saga, maybe an attempt to get to something elementally British (the Hobbits and their interminable bucolic picnics) before the Frenchies showed up in 1066.

    Later Tolkien scholars have suggested that a good portion of the books were inspired by events and the horrific landscapes the author witnessed at the front during the First World War.

    It's a fascinating artifact, but I found it deadly dull and overrated as literature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite Gandalf quote, and what I want to be used on my funeral program is this:

    PIPPIN: "I didn't think it would end this way."

    GANDALF: "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it."

    PIPPIN: "What? Gandalf? See what?"

    GANDALF: "White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

    PIPPIN: "Well, that isn't so bad."

    GANDALF: "No. No, it isn't.”

    From “The Lord of The Rings - Return of the King”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pippin??! I thought he was in a different musical. Ben Vereen and all that. He lived in TA3019 and was still around for Charlemagne? What a guy!

      Delete