Sunday, October 25, 2020

QAnon

 There was an interesting article on the Washington Post site today about someone who got sucked into the QAnon conspiracy theory.  He said; “...it’s kind of embarrassing.” But, he reasons, if telling it prevents anyone else from falling down the same dark and twisted rabbit hole he did, then the potential humiliation is worth it."

"One day in December 2017, he tuned into Infowars, the media outlet run by the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. Two guests on the radio show were talking about the “calm before the storm,” a reference to an absurd theory that President Trump will soon wage a secret war against a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles and a slew of other evildoers. It’s one of the many tall tales believed by followers of the movement called QAnon, ranging from the false claim that the government created vaccines to track citizens to the ridiculous idea that Hillary Clinton and Katy Perry drink the blood of young children to gain eternal youth."

“It was pretty generic conspiracy theory stuff at the time, but because Alex had them on his show, it gave them an air of legitimacy with alternative media,” said the 32-year-old Sydney, Australia, resident in a phone call late last month. He was hooked. For the next 1½ years, he closely followed the movement, spending hours each day devouring as much Q-related content as he could find."

"QAnon can be traced back to 2017 posts on the online message board 4chan by someone named “Q,” who claimed to be a government insider with Q security clearance, the highest level in the U.S. Energy Department. The idea is simple: Q supposedly learns of classified information, then leaks it online."

“Really, it’s like an existential battle between good and evil. That’s how it’s framed,” he said. “Everyone is very okay with the concept of martial law. And I was part of this. I was so far in it. If Hillary Clinton had been executed publicly, I would have cheered. That bothers me to this day.”

"His sister, Joy Jajeda, "... realized how far her brother had fallen into this “quicksand” one night when their family was making a two-hour drive back from a “lovely” day trip. The entire time, Jadeja “spoke about this Q theory and the lizard people that ruled the world. “I remember thinking how ludicrous it sounded,” she said. “I remember thinking this was not unlike a religious cult.”

"...At one point, a QAnon believer posted online requesting Q to get Trump to say “ ’tip top tippy-top shape,’ as kind of a shout out.” Four months later, when speaking at the 2018 White House Easter Egg Roll, Trump used a version of that phrase“For the longest time, I was like ‘Dude, that’s a very unique phrase,’ ” Jadeja said. But as he began questioning QAnon, he began looking more deeply — and stumbled upon a two-part YouTube compilation of Trump repeatedly using that wording. “It’s just something that Trump says from time to time. … That’s when my world kind of came crashing down.” "...“If I didn’t have family that loved me I probably would have committed suicide,” he said. “It was really a terrible feeling to know that you are this stupid and this wrong.”

It sounds like pretty classic cult stuff.  It doesn't have to make logical sense to get people to believe.  Conspiracy theories seem to flourish in times of insecurity and unrest. Which describes 2020 in spades. There is enough evidence of the human mind's ability to deceive itself in the present situation to provide ample fodder for doctoral theses in clinical psychology.


13 comments:

  1. It's a plot for a B movie. Great Caesar's ghost, he could buy baby blood-drinking singers seeking eternal life but the scales fell when he learned The Don talks baby talk a lot of the time?

    Well, I guess The Don himself is a plot for a B movie. But I had the impression from the Q-sign wavers I've seen in the media that they knew they were in on a put-on. Of course, Abp. Carlo Vigano said he is a believer. But he is a plot for a B movie. Come clean, Borat; it's you, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know. Pretty far-fetched. I don't think people can get sucked into something like this, unless at some level, they want to.

      Delete
    2. Someday someone's going to make a B movie with 2020 as the plot. The critics will pan the heck out of it.

      Delete
  2. I'd like to think I'm a reasonably empathetic person. But this QAnon stuff - I just don't see how people can get sucked into it. Maybe I have the advantage of first hearing about it via a mainstream media news report (about that candidate in Georgia) which, in reporting it, also reported that it's complete codswallop.

    I will mention this, though: I was listening to something or other on the radio a couple of months ago, and a caller called in, identifying herself as an ER nurse. She was distraught about the growing consensus among the public that hydroxychloroquine is not a legit treatment for COVID-19. She insisted, with great passion and seeming personal authenticity, that she had seen the effects of the drug intervention on her patients, and they were real and significant.

    Then, a week or so later, I heard Dr. Fauci state that there was no credible evidence that the stuff could do a lick of good (I'm paraphrasing).

    I choose to believe Dr. Fauci. But this nurse - she gave some pretty compelling personal witness to the drug's beneficial effects. I can see how people could get bamboozled, or at least misinformed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume something like a double-blind study was done? As they say, anecdote isn't data. The nurse may in fact have seen several cases where hydroxychloroquine did appear to have a good effect. But a lot of cases get better on their own. I notice it wasn't listed as one of the drugs given to Trump when he was in Walter Reed.

      Delete
    2. He had taken a course of hydroxychloroquine earlier, and I was surprised he didn't attribute some of his speedy recovery to it.

      Delete
    3. My money would be on the monoclonal antibodies he was given. Plus they started aggressive treatment right away.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, early aggressive treatment. And 10 doctors. And a helicopter on the lawn to run him over to the hospital. If more Americans would set themselves up like that, we'd lick this Covid in no time.

      Delete
    5. I don't think hydroxychloroquine had anything to do with Trump's recovery, but I am surprised he didn't tout it anyway, given how much he was yakking about it early on.

      Delete
    6. I think his campaign probably thought it was better to attribute his recovery to his own amazingly vigorous health and native healing superpowers. That would achieve the political benefit of contrasting him with the supposedly decrepit Biden (in which project Biden has not been very cooperative, coming across as reasonably vital and together whenever he makes an appearance), and also the de rigeur objective of massaging Trump's massive ego.

      Delete
  3. My brother, who was six when Kennedy was assassinated, has been obsessed with conspiracies to murder JFK for decades. It's really tiresome. The perps have changed over time to whoever he is mad at--the World Bank, the G7, Fidel Castro, LBJ, and the French.

    I think he enjoys conspiracies theories because someone is always ginning up a new theory, and following this crap makes him think he's more in the know than anyone else.

    When the pandemic hit, he was listening to some FOX TV doctor who said that the media had overhyped the disease, egged on by the NIH, CDC, and FDA trying to hang on to their "power."

    When I pointed out that the FOX doctor wasn't exactly a sterling source of info, he became enraged and started sneering at elites with advanced degrees and no common sense, i.e., me.

    Last I heard, he couldn't stand Trump. But he hasn't spoken to me since I dissed Doc FOX, so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was 12 when Kennedy was assassinated. Heard a bunch of conspiracy theories over the years. But it doesn't seem like there has been any "there" there. Yeah, you're right that it's tiresome. Sometimes it is just a random nut job. Gerald Ford had two attempts on his life, and Reagan was shot in an assassination attempt. All of these seemed to be done by mentally unstable individuals acting on their own.
      I used to watch X-Files with my younger son. Of course it was all about conspiracies. Not believable, but good mom and son bonding time.

      Delete
    2. I have not bought into any of the Kennedy conspiracy theories, mainly because there are so many. But my #3 son the lawyer, who lives in Dallas, has walked my #1 son the programmer and my #2 son the king of movie trailers through the sites and the gospel according to the Warren Commission, and both came away believing Oswald needed help to pull it off and that the commission didn't even try to go there.

      Delete