Sunday, September 27, 2020

Open to change

 This is my homily for today, the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle A.  The readings for today are here.

Recently some friends invited Therese and me to their home for a get-together.  They’re good friends of ours, and I like their company.  But when the day of the event arrived, I sort of didn’t want to go.  I had had a long week, and I was tired.  I wasn’t in the mood for socializing.  I just wanted to plop into a La Z Boy at home, lie back with the footrest up and my shoes off, and watch a ball game, or a golf tournament, or something equally unchallenging.  I told Therese she might be going without me.

But then, at the last minute, the good old Catholic guilt went to work on my conscience.  If this couple was nice enough to invite me over, it seemed a little churlish to refuse to go.  And it didn’t seem quite fair to send Therese there by herself to make my excuses for me.  So I summoned up the energy to put on a clean shirt and I headed over there with her.

And if you know anything about human nature, you know what comes next: it turned out that I had a wonderful time.  I was so glad I went.  It was way more enjoyable than staying home and falling asleep in front of the television set would have been.  I had thought that what I needed was to stay home and be a bum, but honestly, I do that a lot during the pandemic.  It turned out that it was good for me to make a change to my routine.   

Often, change is good for us, even when we resist it.  For most of us – well, really, all of us – our lives fall short of perfection.  If we want our lives to get better, we must be willing to make changes in our lives.  Sometimes that even means making changes to ourselves.  Better yet, we must be willing to allow God to work his changes within us. 

And yet most of us resist change.  We fear to change things up in our lives.  We may be unhappy in our jobs, but we don’t go out and find another, better one.  Or we may be in a relationship with someone who isn’t very good for us, but we don’t do anything about it.  Or we may be unhappy with where we live, but we don’t do anything to improve our housing situation.  Or we know we should lose weight, but we don’t.  Or we know we should go to the doctor or the dentist, but we don’t.  Some of us are quite ingenious at coming up with reasons not to change.  If we poured that same energy and ingenuity into actually making positive changes, think how much better off we’d be.

If things in my life ever have gotten better, it’s because I’ve made changes, sometimes despite my best efforts to avoid or delay them.  I quit smoking.  I started going to church again.  I went to confession after a hiatus of several decades.  I married Therese.  I went to graduate school.  I became a deacon.  All those decisions have made my life better in one way or another. 

All those things were *choices*.  I could have continued to smoke.  I could have dithered about asking Therese to marry me.   I could have stayed home every evening rather than going to graduate school.  And so on.  I’m far from being the person that God knows I can be, but I would have to say that, had I chosen otherwise than I did about those important matters, I’d be a lesser and a worse person today.  Our choices make a big impact on our satisfaction and our flourishing. 

Of course, we can make bad choices, too.  We can make things worse for ourselves.  We can choose to be binge drinkers or to take addictive drugs.  We can choose to steal from our employers or to be unfaithful in our marriages.  We can choose to spend all our money as it comes in, rather than saving for our retirements.  Just as our good choices can make our lives better, our bad choices can make our lives worse.

Today’s Gospel passage is about making choices and embracing change.  The first son said he wouldn’t go out to work in the vineyard, but, as Jesus put it, he “afterward changed his mind”.  Those three words, “changed his mind”, pass by so quickly that we may miss their significance.  Those three words describe a monumental change of heart which is nothing less than a transformation.   Somehow, disobedience was transformed into obedience, and what might have been a rift in the family instead became a strengthened bond.  How did that transformation come about?  Did the first son’s conscience nag him, just as mine nagged me about the relatively trivial matter of attending the couples’ get-together?  Did some kind, wise person intervene to talk with that son, bringing about a change of heart?  Did the son engage in introspection and prayer?  Those are some of the ways we can be induced to change, in order to find the path to righteousness.

The other son changed, too – but in the wrong direction.  He said he would go work in the vineyard, but he changed his mind, too, and didn’t go.  In doing so, he added to his father’s burden – now the father must deal with a disobedient son, a son whose word cannot be trusted.

If we’re going to be disciples of Jesus, we must be willing to change.  If we don’t change, we’re not succeeding.  Because conforming ourselves to God doesn’t come naturally to us.  It doesn’t just happen by itself.  Left to our own devices, what comes naturally to us is the worship of counterfeit gods, like money, or power, or illicit physical pleasures, or worst of all, worship of ourselves.  Left to our own devices, we start treating others as objects to exploit, rather than as persons as good as ourselves, endowed with the same human dignity we possess and entitled to the same respect we’re entitled to as creatures of God.  We must be open to changing, and then changing again.  Every day, we must be ready to turn back to God.

“But,” you might object, “change is hard.  It’s stressful.  It takes energy and commitment.  I don’t feel up to change today.”  I hear you.  And I would make two comments about that.  One is, you’re spending mental and psychological and spiritual energy, simply by deciding *not* to change.  To say, “I am not going to change today,” is to make a choice, too.  Whenever we turn away from God’s will, we’re not staying in neutral.  Turning away from God always involves turning *toward* something that is less than God, and worse than God.  There is no maintaining the status quo when it comes to this.  Either we’re rowing in the right direction, or we're drifting in the wrong direction.  Sometimes, we're paddling as hard as we can in the wrong direction.

My second comment is, we don’t have to do this by ourselves.  God will help us to change the things in our lives that must change.  One of the best ways I know to be open to healthy, holy change is to pray.  One very simple way to do it is to start each day by praying, “Come, Holy Spirit, into my heart today, and change me.”

When we think we have everything figured out, and we’re on the straight and narrow highway to heaven – that’s when we should start to worry.  Every day, we must be open to God coming into our hearts to change us. 


22 comments:

  1. There's so much self-help, self-improvement talk in homilies. MY health, MY salvation, MY spirituality, MY life, MY success--me me me. That's great for Protestants who believe that salvation is a one-on-one deal between them and God.

    The goal of any "improvement" in this context is to "succeed" in doing God's work, no? And, for Catholics, that goal is outward looking. It is bringing the Kingdom to earth. For everbody. Us.

    God doesn't care if you quit smoking, lose weight, go to parties, or pray for more stuff unless it means you are better able to participate in the Great Commission:

    Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory;
    rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves,
    each looking out not for his own interests,
    but also for those of others.

    I dunno. Maybe I am too old to get that this messaging resonates with young people. Maybe I am a hopeless curmudgeon-ette. Maybe there's a low-pressure cell moving in.

    What am I missing here that I can't respond to this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean - thanks for that comment. I also felt that I was sort of veering too close to a TED talk.

    I think we need to open our hearts to God and let him change us. In my experience, being a good steward of my talents is very much consonant with that. There is a healthy way to love ourselves, and part of that is developing the gifts we've been given - and then putting them to use to build God's kingdom.

    I have some modest talents as a leader. It took me a long time to figure out that I can serve God that way - that's a better use of my talents than being a "worker bee". I'm actually better as a leader than as a worker bee - I can better serve that way.

    Among your talents obviously is teaching. I have no doubt, from your comments prior to your retirement, that you were doing God's work by teaching people to communicate and helping them to develop their capabilities. I'm sure it could be frustrating at times to teach people; that is part of the self-emptying that the second reading today speaks of.

    Yes, there is a Great Commission, which we all participate in. I don't think that means we all need to rush off to missionary areas (although some people surely are called to do that).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could always relate to this Gospel reading as a parent. There's the little bit mouthy, stubborn kid, who in the end does the right thing. And also the one who has good intentions, but easily gets distracted and doesn't follow through. Sometimes they are the same kid. Sometimes they were me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Here below, to live is to change and to be perfect is to change often." -- St. John Newman.

    "Avoid stasis." -- Dan Griffin as he cut a cable causing my garage door to hang up at a 45-degree angle instead of just staying stuck.

    I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, instead of looking at how someone can choose to change their minds about something that will improve their own personal life (or make it worse), it seems that another way to read this gospel is to say that actions speak louder than words.

    Some claim to follow Jesus' teachings - they are "christians" - but, besides going to church on Sunday and to Wednesday evening bible study, they don't actually follow Jesus' in their everyday lives. Others, who may not claim to be "christian", live their lives in a way that emulates Jesus' life and teachings. I have an atheist friend who has always done this, whereas our evangelical protestant friends (the charismatics) who moved to Florida seem to think that believing the "right" things and being "slain in the Spirit" and having "a personal relationship with Jesus" gives them a pass to heaven and, since they are "obedient" to the worship requirements, they can go their merry way happy as clams that they are "saved".

    So, my sin, as shown by this personal example, is very often judging others. And that is much harder for me to change than changing my mind about whether or not to call someone to tell them I won't be able to make their party with a sufficiently vague excuse that prevents me from outright lying. I have done that many times, very often because at some point I decided to please myself and stay home. I hate big parties, but used to go to them out of a sense of obligation, to be sociable. When I forced myself to go, I usually couldn't wait to get out of there at the earliest possible time when it would not seem insulting to the hosts. Fortunately, my husband is also an introvert, hates big parties too, so he was good with the idea of not going to them. If he had been dying to go, I suppose I would go with him because of love, but I'm equally sure that I would be nagging at him to leave as early as possible. However, I would also have the self-satisfaction of feeling virtuous in pleasing my husband by doing something I didn't want to do.

    Are we ever totally disinterested in how even our virtuous choices might make our lives (or consciences) better?

    Anthony De Mello makes the point in his book "Awareness" - when I first read it 20 years ago I felt like someone had thrown a bucket of ice cold water in my face. I needed the lessons. Over the years, I slip back into my old, comfortable, easy patterns, so I get the book out again. Every time I read it, I "see" ideas that I read right past in previous readings. I interpret this as reflecting changes in my own ideas, my "understanding" of spirituality, and how I have changed, in ways both good and bad. I highly recommend the book.

    From "Awareness" , p. 12 of pdf

    pdf of Word document of Awareness

    http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/tonyawareness.pdf


    Charity is really self-interest masquerading under the form of altruism. You say that it is very difficult to accept that there may be times when you are not honest to goodness really trying to be loving or trustful. Let me simplify it. Let’s make it as simple as possible. Let’s even make it as blunt and extreme as possible, at least to begin with. There are two types of selfishness. The first type is the one where I give myself the pleasure of pleasing myself. That’s what we generally call self-centeredness. The second is when I give myself the pleasure of pleasing others. That would be a more refined kind of selfishness. The first one is very obvious, but the second one is hidden, very hidden, and for that reason more dangerous, because we get to feel that we’re really great. But maybe we’re not all that great after all.

    He expands on the idea in the subsequent paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - great reflections. And that De Mello idea is very provocative. I do get a lot of satisfaction out of helping others. And I agree it can be a spiritual danger. Our parish Outreach ministry consists of a group of mostly middle-class people, extending aid to folks who are struggling - either homeless, or scraping by, paycheck to paycheck and needing frequent financial or food "boosts". In that situation, it is quite easy to become paternal about offering help. But parent-child is not the ideal paradigm for this sharing of aid; it should be more like sibling-to-sibling or friend-to-friend.

      Delete
    2. if there's spiritual danger from getting satisfaction from helping others, there's a whole lot more spiritual danger in not helping them. I don't think we should get overly concerned about whether our motivations are paternal, fraternal, or what's the fancy word for "as a friend".
      "Too much analysis leads to paralysis."

      Delete
    3. This is one problem with quoting a small excerpt from a book - the incompleteness leads to misunderstanding the author’s point.

      DeMello is using the charity example to introduce some very interesting ideas - developed throughout the book - which have nothing to do with paternal, fraternal or any other kind of feelings based motivations.

      If not willing to read the entire book ( which is well worth reading, and the pdf includes the whole book) maybe read the first few chapters. He is an unconventional thinker, and his understandings reflect the Indian culture and ways of looking at things.

      De Mello arouses strong reactions. Some people can’t stand him. He made Benedict very uncomfortable. Benedict’s totally western mind has a lot of trouble grasping the kinds of truths that are intuitive to people raised in some eastern religions . I suspect Jim will not like De Mello if he reads this book. But I have also learned that even those who don’t like him, admit that he makes them think. At least they do after a while, and have gotten over their original negative reactions (often highly defensive) to his writings.

      Delete
    4. I haven't read De Mello, but my husband has a book by him. I'll have to ask him what his impression was.

      Delete
    5. The name of the book we have is "Wellsprings". DH said he didn't get all the way through it, would have to get back to it sometime. He seemed to like what he remembered of it. I leafed through it, it was a collection of spiritual exercises which read like poetry. Looked like it could be good, but I can also see where it isn't something that one would read through quickly, start to finish.

      Delete
    6. If God is taking points off my good deed tote board based on my level of enjoyment, is God adding points to the total number of good deeds done grudgingly? I have a lot more of those!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. De Mello’s books of meditations, including guided mediations using the general approach of Ignatian meditation (he was a Jesuit, after all) are very different from Awareness. Awareness has nothing to do with meditation or spiritual exercises. It is meant to shock people into waking up - he says most of us sleepwalk through life, that we need to wake up before we die. He teaches about what spirituality is, and how it is often totally unrelated to religion. The pdf at the link is the entire book. He uses exaggerated humor and occasionally blunt language to get his message across. Awareness is written in the context of retreat talks.


    From a reader review on Amazon: One of my favorite books. Change the way you think, open your mind, get over yourself and others and expectations we place on everything!! Freeing. be aware of how your life experiences shape your bias, the way how you feel, react, and listen to others and how to open yourself to others to understand their experiences purely and appreciatively for what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My only previous exposure with De Mello was one time, I was waiting for 10-15 minutes for a spiritual director appointment, and I was put to wait in a parish library. Since I had time to kill, I pulled a De Mello book off the shelf and looked through it. I don't remember which book it was, but it consisted of very short reflections - each one only 1-3 paragraphs, as I recall.

    The reading-things-at-random-while-waiting can expand one's reading list. I've been known to surreptitiously tear magazine articles out of magazines in doctor waiting rooms and put them in my pocket - from magazines that I'd never have thought of subscribing to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...surreptitiously tear magazine articles out of magazines in doctor waiting rooms..." Grrr! People doing that is why I couldn't find that really good looking recipe that was pictured on the cover...that I wanted to tear out!
      Of course now there are no magazines or newspapers in waiting rooms, because they might carry germs. Thank goodness for Kindles and smart phones.

      Delete
  9. Anyone ever watch "Herrens veje" (aka "Ride upon the Storm") from Danish TV on Netflix?

    All about spiritual changes/challenges faced by a Church of Denmark (Lutheran) pastor and his family. His son is also a minister. His other son is not.

    The minister seems to suffer deeply from the sin of pride, which I suspect plagues all clergy, but he has some other rather frightening flaws as well. Yet they make him vulnerable and sympathetic.

    Brings in some glimpses of Danish life and religious culture. Denmark is famous for its protection of Jewish Danes during WWII, but it is quite an insular society and subject to cultural stressors from newly arrived outsiders.

    Seeing Danish attitudes from inside is interesting. Not a lot of humor, but, outside of Victor Borge, this is not a region that produces famous comics. (I wish someone would write a book about north European humor. And why nobody but the English and Irish have one.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Icelanders have a sense of humor. Tell me what they named their capital.

      Delete
    2. Jean, interesting about the Danish series. I'm assuming it's subtitled?
      About Danish Lutherans, I know they are different than German ones. My paternal grandfather was Danish Lutheran. The story was that he tried going to a Missouri Synod Lutheran church, which was the only kind there was in our area. He couldn't deal with it (I think they might not have been exactly welcoming?). Didn't go to church much at all after that, but was okay with Grandma raising Dad Catholic. Didn't want to convert though, because he had been confirmed in the Lutheran Church, and felt that it would be going back on a promise.
      I think that short daylight in the winter must affect the Danes, though they do cultivate "hygge" as a practice of of being content and comfortable at home.

      Delete
    3. tom, Icelanders have a sense of humor because they are half Irish.

      Katherine, yes, subtitled. The Danish Lutherans seems to be relatively if grudgingly liberal on some social issues--women clergy, acceptance of gay marriage, abortion, etc.--but quite hard-nosed about the Lutheran Church being the one true faith. The bishop election and issue of parish closures in the series is interesting.

      Delete
  10. The Danish movie sounds interesting - but also depressing. Right now I can't handle depressing.

    I wish there were an uplifting and inspiring story of the Danish efforts to protect their Jewish population - which was so successful that more than 99% survived the war, because the Danes got most of them to safety in Sweden. It was a meticulously planned operation and it worked. I read about it several years ago and was sad that so few people know of it.

    The Danish effort contrasts with FDR's shameful refusal to allow a ship full of Jewish refugees to disembark in America. He sent them back to Europe, and most of the Jewish passengers died in the camps. The number of Jewish passengers on the ship was just about the same as the number of Jewish citizens in Denmark who were saved. A bit fewer than 1000.

    Tiny Denmark planned for the worst, and they succeeded in protecting their Jewish population. FDR may have done a lot of good things as President, but this episode is a very shameful blot on his record.

    I've gotten into escape reading and escape TV watching - lighthearted only. Right now, I can't deal with the world as it is. I can't deal with America as it seems to be. I can't deal with the reality of my brother the Trump supporter (and Covid victim) being more racist than I had suspected.

    Right now I just can't deal. I will not be watching the debates. I haven't watched them for several election cycles and this is certainly not the year to take up the habit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really find it depressing as much as very sober. I find it a good escape from American issues right now. Gives me some perspective. But not escapist, if that makes sense.

      Certainly not pushing you to watch it. Just seemed to fit in with Jim's theme of change.

      Yeah, family. We're all dealing with that, apparently.

      Delete