Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Telling the story, in the story

This is my homily from yesterday, the 3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle C.  The readings for the weekend (the Gospel passage is the Road to Emmaus story) are here.  In addition, if anyone is interested: at the time I am posting this, the recording of this past Sunday's mass, including my giving this homily (and doing all the usual diaconal stuff) is available here on our parish website; I suspect it will be replaced by the following weekend's mass recording by sometime this coming Saturday.  Here is the text of the homily:

When something exciting happens to us, it’s natural for us to tell others about it.  And when we tell others about exciting or important or traumatic events in our lives, we tend to tell them in the form of stories.

All of us are familiar with fictional stories: stories that have been created by an author, with characters and events that didn’t really happen.  But that’s not the kind of story I’m talking about here.  I’m talking about anecdotes.  I’m talking about the stories we tell of things that happened in real life to us or to others.

 I have a fund of stories from my own life, and I wish I had time to tell some of them now: how my wife Therese and I met; the night I proposed to her; our wedding day; the time we were caught in a hurricane on our honeymoon; the time I sprained my ankle while hurrying across Wacker Drive; the time our oldest child was born; and many stories besides that.  All of us have stories.  Some are uplifting, some are tragic:  the story of immigrating to this country; the story of discovering that a spouse has been unfaithful; the story of a mom’s fight against breast cancer; the story of shooting a hole in one.  We have countless stories to tell: of happy times, sad times, events that changed our lives.  

We hear a life-changing story in our first reading: Peter, inspired by the Holy Spirit, tells the story of what happened to Jesus.  He tells that Jesus performed mighty deeds, wonders and signs – for which was killed unjustly.  And then Peter tells something amazing: God raised Jesus up from the dead.  And then Peter tells that the Holy Spirit has been poured forth upon him and his followers.  Peter doesn’t tell everything about Jesus, but he told some important things, things which he thought his audience would want to hear or needed to hear.  It’s a great and wondrous story.  Peter proclaimed it in the immediate wake of the Pentecost event, so this scriptural passage which is our first reading is the record of the first time this story was told in public. 

It’s the story of the paschal mystery of Jesus.  And it’s been told ever since, for 2,000 years.  For two millennia now, that story has pulled us in, touched our hearts, changed our lives.  Through our baptisms, God pulls us into that story, too, and we become characters in it.  Jesus’s story and Peter’s story becomes our story.  We die with Jesus.  And we will rise with him, too.

Here is another thing about a true story: usually, we don’t tell a story about our lives until the events are in our past.  It’s when we look back on important or dramatic events that we can make sense of them and understand how to arrange them in our minds.  But it’s different when we’re still in the middle of the story.  When the events are still happening in the present, it’s more difficult to make sense of it.  For one thing, when the story is still happening to us, we don’t know yet how it’s going to turn out.  We don’t know if it’s going to be a comedy or a tragedy.  This helps explain, I think, why many people don’t speak up when bad things are happening to them.  When a wife is being abused by her husband, or a child is being bullied at school, or someone is miserable in a  job – when we’re in the middle of things like that, many of us don’t speak up because we don’t know how to put it into a story form.  It’s not ready yet to be told as a story, so we struggle to tell it.

We see an instance of this difficulty in our Gospel story.  The two disciples on the road to Emmaus are still in the middle of the story.  The events are too fresh and not yet complete.  In fact, they themselves are about to be pulled into the story as characters, although they don’t know that yet.  They do know Jesus has died, so it seems to them this story is a tragic one.  But puzzling new tidings from the women in their group have complicated that narrative, and possibly have sent the plot off in a new direction.  These two disciples don’t know yet what it all means.  It seems plausible that’s what they were discussing as they walked along: what does this mean?  Where is this going?  How is this going to end for us and our companions?

And then Jesus comes to them, and he helps them to understand what it means.  It’s a telling detail, I think, that even then, when they are literally walking with Jesus and dining with him, they still don’t fully understand it; it is only when he has disappeared from their sight and they look back on what has just happened that they realize their hearts were burning with gratitude, love and joy.  And it is only later still, when they hear further tidings from the disciples of Jesus' appearances, that it begins to make sense to them.

We’re in the middle of a story right now.  It’s called COVID-19.  We don’t know yet how it will turn out.  Our government leaders and public health experts tell us that the isolation and the mask-wearing and the handwashing and social distancing that we’re all enduring now is to “flatten the curve” – I suspect we’ve all heard that phrase by now.  The hope is that, sooner or later, the number of infections will start leveling off and even decreasing day by day.  This week, I recorded in a spreadsheet the daily number of new infections in Illinois, going back to March.  And each day this week, I’ve been adding the new daily infection number to the spreadsheet.  I’m also maintaining the data in a line chart, so I can see the curve for myself.  I want to see the curve flatten.  Charts and graphs transform a set of numbers into a story – a pattern that makes sense.  I guess you could say that I’m trying to understand where this story of COVID-19 is going, where the plot is taking us.  

Earlier this week, as I looked at my line chart, I was thinking that I could see the beginnings of a plateau – perhaps we’re entering the stage in the fight against the disease where the curve flattens.  But after the last few days this week, I’m not so sure; the number of new infections has been very high, and my line chart is continuing to rise, up and to the right.  I fear that we may be in this mode of existence for quite a while yet.  But the line could turn again, starting tomorrow.  We’re still in the middle of this story, so it’s impossible to know how it’s going to turn out.  Even the experts don’t know.

We’re still in the middle of the story of our journey with Jesus, too.  We don’t know how it will turn out.  I’ve heard stories of cradle Catholics whose faith fades away and dies, even on their deathbeds.  Those are tragic stories.  I’ve also heard stories of people who lived unfaithful lives for many years, and then had their lives transformed by faith – there are absolutely people like that at St. Edna.  Those are wonderful stories.  Our own stories these days are stories of being tested by COVID-19.  We don’t know yet how our stories will turn out.  But we should be encouraged to know that Jesus is walking beside us today on our journeys, even in the cramped quarters of the homes to which we’re confined.  He will help us get through this. Jesus still loves us, and is ready to set our hearts afire.

8 comments:

  1. Good one, Jim. I like your take of tying the Emmaus readings in with the strange time we are presently going through.
    Last I heard, our governor is still going to give permission for churches to resume services on a limited, distancing basis, starting May 4. Two weeks ago it seemed like that target might have made sense. However in the ensuing time the meat packing plants' situation blew up, and our state total of cases more than doubled. I think the governor needs to extend the more strict quarantine protocols longer. But I also know he won't.
    I see that our pastor has called a meeting of the parish staff for Wednesday evening (less than 10 people, including deacons, in the large social hall with distancing) to figure out how they are going to start having Masses with distancing and limited attendance. Good luck with that.
    And now I'm going to air a little personal gripe. We have been watching the live-streamed Masses and making spiritual Communions. Which is good for spiritual connection, along with personal prayer and reading. But I confess to a stab of envy when I see the people on live-stream able to receive the physical sacrament. One thing which has not been allowed is for them to take Communion to their families at home. And I get that, we don't want to be the church of "take-out Jesus". However in normal times there was no problem with me taking Communion to my next door neighbor, who had cancer. Or for my husband to bring me Communion at home if I was ill. I think they could be a little looser with people getting Communion at home before they open up public Masses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, what a great set of points you make!

      At the risk of making you feel even worse: at this past Sunday's mass, our pastor consecrated (or, perhaps to be more theologically correct, presided over the consecration of) sufficient hosts for everyone who took part in the "production": him, me, the camera guy, the reader, the pianist and the cantor. The first four on that list receive their communion at the appointed time, but the musicians are given communion after mass ends and the camera is off - presumably so that the music doesn't get interrupted. (Some good fodder there for a liturgical discussion.)

      But this past Sunday, the pianist and the cantor packed up and left without remembering to receive communion; and I started bustling around doing other things and didn't remember to offer it to them. By the time I noticed the two consecrated hosts sitting there, the musicians had left. So, rather than storing the hosts in the tabernacle, and in the spirit of "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission", I told our pastor that I was going to put them in a pyx and bring them home to my family members. And that is what I did.

      My thought at the time was that we'd watch the mass as a family on Sunday morning, and I could offer them actual communion at the appropriate moment of the telecast. A little unorthodox maybe, but I didn't have a better idea. In the event, all of my children took a pass on sitting through their old man's homily (that's the sort of ideal family life we enjoy here :-)), so it was just Therese and me. So she received communion.

      I could have offered the other consecrated host to any one of my children, who were off gaming or surfing or whatever they do all day in other rooms; or even divided the hosts into pieces and offered the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity to all of my children. But the recalcitrant dad part of me kicked in and I thought to myself, "If they want communion, they can drag their butts into the room and sit through a rebroadcast of mass". So, since none of them wished to drag their butts in the manner I had mentally prescribed, I was left with an extra host. So I consumed it myself. Thus, in a weird, electronic/media sense, I received communion twice for the same mass.

      Your comparison to communion for the sick surely bears consideration. I think there is a lot of validity to it. I also think that, in general, the church leaders could try harder than they have been to get communion to people. I am not necessarily seeing a surfeit of pastoral zeal out there. A lot of practicioners of Catholic ministry tend to throw up their hands and say, "Oh, well, since it's not the way we usually do it, I guess we can't do it at all."

      Delete
    2. Jim, for sure I agree that in order to receive Communion your kids needed to be a bit more intentional about it. But it was nice that you were able to share it with your wife.
      Our pastor is very conscious of canon law, having part of a graduate degree in it. So maybe there is some stipulation there about Communion outside of Mass, I don't know. But I also know that the priest across town, whom I know pretty well, interprets things a bit looser. And if I had been in the right place at the right time he would have given me the sacrament. But it isn't all about my over-privileged entitled self. Part of me thinks it would be cheating to try and get something not available to others. But maybe that is the point, that we need to figure out ways to increase availability to others.

      Delete
    3. "Part of me thinks it would be cheating to try and get something not available to others."

      Yes! I feel exactly the same way! I'm grateful to have received it a couple of times during this shutdown, but also racked with guilt (really!) that I'm receiving something that isn't generally available.

      And disappointed that my own kids apparently don't appreciate communion enough to receive it on the rare occasion it's available to them. Ah, the joys of parenthood.

      Delete
    4. One of our granddaughters has had her First Communion postponed due to the coronavirus. The little kids always get excited about it and I know she was looking forward to it. So I hope by the time she gets to actually have it that the enthusiasm won't have diminished. Too bad the older ones sometimes get a little blase.

      Delete
    5. Geez, instead of feeling guilty, maybe see it as God fortifying you to keep on with the streaming effort? Sounds like you are doing a lot, what with working at home, having a lot of family underfoot, and trying to maintain parish outreach.

      Delete
  2. "And then Peter tells that the Holy Spirit has been poured forth upon him and his followers."

    If there is any proof of the Holy Spirit at work, it has to be in some of the accounts of health care workers. One nurse interviewed in the WaPo tended unresponsive patients on ventilators. She talked to them and often sang, mostly, she said, because ventilator patients who make it (most don't) often report having had nightmares. She hoped the sound of her voice would help them stay grounded and calm.

    While I hope Catholics can begin to receive again soon, I find something sustaining and sacramental in these stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, definitely something sacramental in these stories. Especially since their families and pastors can't be with them.
      Unfortunately I have read about suicides among the healthcare workers. We need to pray for them that they aren't overcome by what they are experiencing, to the point of despair.

      Delete