Monday, March 23, 2020

What to do while at home and sick of TV?

This is especially for Jim, who is already going stir-crazy.

I developed a list of possibilities, mostly for extended family.  Information is easy to find on the internet, so just google your interests and see what comes up.  Most of these come from my own subscription email.  Check out your own cathedrals, colleges, universities etc to see what they offer..





Visit National Parks virtually

https://www.travelzoo.com/blog/the-best-national-parks-to-visit-virtually/


free e-courses from Shalem Institute (spirituality and contemplation)


Washington National Cathedral - online cathedral  


The Cathedral was severely damaged during an earthquake (!!!) in 2011.  A photographer took time lapse videos of the changing light from the stained glass windows, apparently from up on the scaffolding during the period of repairs (they are still repairing some of the damage).



And a video of the gargoyles - including Darth Vader, almost impossible to see from outside!



Religious art at the National Gallery in DC



Take a class - stream or download   I have not streamed a class, but bought CDs from this group - good quality and hundreds of courses on a wide range of subjects, including religion, bible etc



Tour famous museums virtually

https://tinyurl.com/v7msbo3  


Watch videos of events of the Berkeley Center for Religion, Peace & World Affairs at Georgetown Univ


Take an online short course at Boston College School of Theology and Ministry -  non-credit, guided community discussion


We pay $60/year to PBS as a donation. This entitles us to stream their content for a year!  Well worth it.

Also, we subscribe to Amazon Prime and can watch many movies and videos for no extra charge. Worth it for a couple of months while housebound.   Lots of exercise videos to keep you fit   ;)

If you are computer savvy, you can use chromecast to cast the videos from your computer to your TV. Need the plug in chromecast device for that. My sons also somehow just hook their phones/tablets/computers to the TV directly and play videos on the TV.  Guessing the right connector is in the house somewhere.





4 comments:

  1. "Introverts, please put down your book and check on your extrovert friends. They are not okay."

    When thinking about the ideal undergraduate education, I would have each student spend one year in a room alone, and another year with a room mate. I thought that would help both introverts and extroverts.

    However in this situation many people may end up spending a semester or two in a house alone or with a few fellow boarders. Not sure how that will work out.

    My own thinking about Catholic spirituality has been influenced by Merton (which I relate to the solitary life) the Benedictines (which I relate to communal life) and the Jesuits (which I related to mission/service).

    So try to use the time to do a little of all three. Welcome the solitude even if you have fellow boarders (read some Merton to help you). Learn to get along with your fellow boarders and develop a community (Try Joan Chittister, The Rule of Benedict). The Autobiography of Ignatius is a good introduction to Ignatius since it deals mostly with his life before the Society was formed. It helps to see the rule of discernment in his spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list, Anne. A lot of interesting ideas. I'm also thinking about trying CuriosityStream.
    Thanks for not suggesting board games. I hate those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I love this list! And I appreciate the work that went into it. I'm touched to have a post dedicated to me :-)

    I will definitely follow up on at least some of your suggestions (definitely want to see Darth Vader, and I really like the idea of the National Gallery).

    I'm still employed, so much of my day is taken up with the mundane, workaday stuff. There are many workers who now are trying to work at home for extended periods of time for the first time. Some of them may need to learn the art of work/home balance - that it's ok to walk away from the work computer when the workday ends. We should pray that all workers are able to preserve their jobs - and pray that Congress and the two major parties get their sh*t together and get the aid package passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack, I am very much a homebody these days. Once my hearing loss became severe, I have pretty much dropped outside activities that I used to enjoy such as attending talks at Georgetown and the Washington National Cathedral, taking an informal class like a bible study, or book clubs. I dropped off the outreach ministry at church because I couldn't understand what others were saying. It's been hard, but I have had little choice.

    Most of our friends have either moved away from DC, or, worse, have died, especially many of our neighbors of more than 40 years standing. So, we have been living a fairly isolated life for a while now.

    But, less hard for us than others - we are both introverts. I like solitude and silence, which is one reason I prefer silent prayer to group liturgies. I embraced Merton and Chittister many years ago and have a number of their books on my shelves. I have tried Ignatian meditation where you imagine yourself in the scene of a passage of scripture, but it doesn't really work for me. Centering prayer does work for me. The only way I have been able to continue Jesuitical service (I am an alum of LMU in LA and Georgetown in DC, so....) is making donations! The Jesuit Refugee Service is one of my regulars. I fear what will happen if coronavirus gets into the camps.

    Jean mentioned buying grocery gift cards for those who are losing their jobs - how are they being distributed in these days of social distancing and self-isolation?

    ReplyDelete