Thursday, December 5, 2019

Rep. Heck Departs Washington

“The countless hours I have spent in the investigation of Russian election interference and the impeachment inquiry have rendered my soul weary,” wrote Mr. Heck, who was first elected to Congress in 2012. “I will never understand how some of my colleagues, in many ways good people, could ignore or deny the President’s unrelenting attack on a free press, his vicious character assassination of anyone who disagreed with him, and his demonstrably very distant relationship with the truth.”

"Mr. Heck appeared to become emotional while speaking to Marie Yovanovitch, the former United States ambassador to Ukraine, who was recalled from her post in May....I am very angry about how it is the most powerful person on the face of the earth would remove you from office after your stellar service and somehow feel compelled to characterize you as ‘bad news,’ and then to ominously threaten that you’re ‘going to go through some things....So, I am angry. But I’m not surprised.”

"Soul weary" is how Mr. Heck describes his state, and describes many other Americans.
Can the rest of us "soul weary" Americans take heart from Trump's colleagues in London mocking him and laughing at him?  Or should we cringe? The Emperor has no clothes, no self-respect....no soul.
@New York Times, 12/5. 

Meanwhile....The Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, appears to be "soul ebullient." 

“Don't mess with me,” Pelosi said.
Rosen had shouted the question to Pelosi about whether she hates Trump after she had ended her press conference and was walking away from the podium. The speaker stopped and answered, clearly offended.
“I don’t hate anybody,” she said. “I was raised in a Catholic house. We don’t hate anybody, not anybody in the world.
“Don't accuse me of hate,” she added.
Rosen said he did not accuse her, he asked a question.
“You did. You did,” Pelosi shot back....
@Roll Call, 12/5.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure it is very demoralizing to be a person of integrity working in government today. Especially being a target of the president's scorn and vitriol, not to mention thinly veiled threats, as Marie Yovanovitch was. I'm not surprised to see people leaving government offices and positions. I don't blame them. But it means that the ones left will tend to be those who have no problem with Trump's mob-style politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Roll Call article, it is totally predictable that Trump would hang another moniker on Pelosi, "Nervous Nancy", because she pushed back on a taunt by a reporter. Her reply, "Don't mess with me" didn't seem nervous. She was standing her ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly can see why Denny Heck would rather give back his House pin than go through the bloody aftermath of 2020, no matter how it turns out. But it is going to be bloody, and we will need people like Heck to blot it up. I mean, Jim Jordan is not up to the job, and he's sure to be back to get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denny Heck is 67. Not everybody is cut out to fight to the bitter end and enjoy it.

    Nancy Pelosi seems sharp as a tack, but has trouble enunciation at times and sounded bronchial in her news conference.

    Trump takes a terrible toll on people. Even those who like him seem angry and agitated all the time. We must look like a nation of dangerous school children to the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Not everybody is cut out to fight to the bitter end and enjoy it." You're right. I can't believe that 4 out of 5 of the top contenders for the presidency are over 70, including the incumbent. I am 68, and while I have decent health, I definitely don't have the energy I used to. Or the inclination to "climb every mountain, ford every stream". Spending time with family, and doing things I didn't have time for when I was younger, are more important, because who knows how much time is left?
      BTW Pete B. must be gathering some steam, because they are sure trying to dig up dirt on him lately. They wouldn't bother if they thought he didn't have a ghost of a chance.

      Delete