Sunday, December 8, 2019

I'm not lovin' it



(NB - I have been mostly absent from NewGathering for a few weeks now.  There is no better or worse reason for this than that the rest of my life - especially work - has been crowding out such pleasurable activities as reading, thinking and writing.  In fact, as I write this, I'm also sitting on a conference call for work, at 11:30 pm on a Saturday night, which - thankfully - isn't requiring much of my active participation.  I do have a few more blog posts rattling around inside me, and I'll endeavor to cough 'em up as time permits.)

McDonalds has joined the march of retailers replacing humans with computers and robots.

On my own terms, I'm a foodie.  My terms are analogous to the wonderfully democratic principle that Duke Ellington famously applied to music: if it tastes good, it is good.  My wife and I appreciate haute cuisine - the two of us have been known to splurge on dinners out together.  In fact, on a couple of occasions we've spent so much that I've pondered bringing those occasions into the confessional.  But we also believe that good food can be found more cheaply.  We'll do diners, hot dog stands, pizza, taquerias - wherever tasty, well-prepared food can be found.  And we both futz around a bit in the kitchen.

And we're not too snooty for the the big fast food chains, either.  There is a sub shop chain called Potbellies which I think makes very good sandwiches, and their oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are to die for.  And I found myself hankering for a Whopper the other day, for the first time in years, and a couple of days later, had an opportunity to scratch that itch.  It was delicious.

But I don't like McDonalds.  I mean that in a casual, unthoughtful sense.  I don't boycott McDonalds because of the wages their franchisees pay the workers (although see more below on the workers), nor because of the nutritional and health issues with their menu items.  When I say "I don't like McDonalds", I just mean that, by and large, I don't like their food.  When our kids were young, I'd drive through the local McDonalds and bring them back Happy Meals.  But that was on evenings when my wife and I were going out to a restaurant for dinner.  I never, ever choose to go to McDonalds for lunch or dinner for myself.

Except .... I do like a couple of items on their breakfast menu.  The Egg McMuffin and the Egg and Sausage McMuffin are pretty good, albeit gut-bombs.  And - in spite of my profession of food proletarianism the first paragraph, I find myself a little ashamed to admit this - I like their egg and sausage burritos.

For better or worse, McDonalds now offers their breakfast items throughout the day.  So the other night I was driving home from choir rehearsal, and found myself craving protein.  And McDonalds was right on the way home.  So on a whim, I pulled in, at about 9:30 pm.  I had intended to drive through and then eat in the car on the way home, but the drive-through lines were surprisingly long - there were a half-dozen or so cars ahead of me.  So I parked and walked in.

And immediately, I was disoriented.  This particular McDonalds is about a mile from my home, and I had been inside it many times over the years.  But it had changed.  Previously the order counter had stretched the width of the front of the store, punctuated by three or four order and food delivery stations.  Customers had an open view of the operations on the other side of the counter.  That side of the counter was always a hive of activity, with a dozen or more workers pulling out baskets of fries, taking drive-through orders, assembling burgers and so on. In other words, the counter area had looked just like that of every other McDonalds I had ever been in.

But no more.  Walls, high enough to block customers' views and prevent their interaction with workers, have replaced half or more of the former counter space.  What remained of the old counter had only a single point-of-sale system.

But in front of where the rest of the counter used to be, there were now two electronic kiosks.  I pulled out my cell phone and took a picture of one of them  - it's at the top of this post.  The kiosk consists of a very large video touch screen for placing orders, as well as a keypad and credit card swipe subsystem to transact the payment.  I tried out the kiosk to place my order.  It was sufficiently intuitive and bug-free that I was able to figure out how to order an Egg McMuffin and a burrito without a problem.  It accepted my debit card, and then spit out a hard copy receipt with my order number on it.  A video screen above the abbreviated counter tracked the progress of my order and the half-dozen others that were in-process.

The transaction worked fine, as far as it went.  I ordered the food, paid for the food, and got the food, and the food was the same as always.  Still, what would have taken less than two minutes to transact with a human - place the order, pay for the order - took considerably longer with the interactive touch screen.  The screen gives you pictures of everything McDonalds offers.  You have to find the picture of what you want, and touch it.  Then you have to tell it what size you want.  Then you have to tell it how you want it customized in some way (e.g. no pickles).  Then you have to specify what quantity of each item you want.  Then you go through the whole rigmarole again for the next item.  If I had to do this for our family of six, we might die of starvation before completing the order.

If you've ever ordered a Domino's pizza from their website, it's a very similar experience.   It works fine, but it takes longer than calling in the order.  That is why I don't use websites to order pizzas (not that I have ordered Domino's since my kids grew up - I have *some* foodie standards) - it saves me 5-7 minutes (at least) to just pick up the phone and talk to a human being.

Technology continues to intermediate more and more of our human interaction.  I work in the corporate world.  In the old days, if I needed to talk to HR, I'd pick up the phone and call my HR rep.  If I had a problem with my computer, I'd dial the extension of the IT guy.  I quickly learned the benefit of cultivating personal relationships with my HR rep and my IT guy: if we were on friendly terms, they were more likely to help me right away and to try hard on my behalf.  (Truthfully, I just like people in general, so I tend to do this relationship-building regardless of whether there is anything foreseeable in it for me.  But there is also an unavoidable transactional nature to these professional and commercial relationships.)

But nowadays in the corporate world, if we have a problem, we don't pick up the phone anymore.  Instead, we open a ticket.  We click on a URL which makes a form appear on our computer screen.  We fill out the form and click a "Submit" button.  If some computer up in a cloud somewhere likes what we entered, it generates a ticket number, and our request gets added to a queue.  And somewhere - it could be anywhere on the planet, and it doesn't really matter where - a person responds to the request, usually by chat/IM or email rather than a phone call.  And it's no longer my HR rep or my IT guy.  It's someone from a pool of HR reps or IT guys.  I get a different person with every ticket.   That person may not actually work for the same company I do; we may have outsourced HR and IT because those are not core competencies for what my company does.

But it's all very efficient, and presumably cheap, and in theory, nothing slips through the cracks.

What I learned the other night is that, to order an Egg McMuffin, I have to open a ticket.  I used the kiosk to create a work order, and eventually my food appeared.  The human interaction was minimal: when my order had risen to the top of the queue, someone handed me a bag and wished me a nice evening.  If McDonalds could figure out a cheap and reliable way to send me a hot, fresh Egg McMuffin on a conveyor belt or via a vacuum tube like at a bank drive-through, it could dispense with the human-to-human dimension altogether.

Because let's face it: human employees are problems.  They screw up - sometimes they put pickles on the Whopper which was ordered with no pickles.  They can be rude, which irritates customers.  They get sick and don't show up for work.  They get pregnant and disappear for months on maternity leave.  They drop things and break them.  They burn themselves in the french fry grease, which creates medical expenses.  They quit, and then their replacement has to be recruited and trained.  They steal.  They have workplace affairs with one another, which causes no end of complications.  Kiosks and conveyor belts no doubt bring their own sets of hassles and complications, but there are absolutely people at McDonalds headquarters with Excel spreadsheets who can put together a model in five minutes or less which answers the question, "Which is cheaper, people or kiosks?"

Technological intermediation is spreading.  Within the last week, I've used a self-checkout station at the local grocery store.  And I've used an app on my cellphone to order an Uber ride.  For the grocery transaction, I didn't interact with anyone.  The Uber driver said fewer than 10 words to me from pickup to drop-off (I am not convinced that he speaks English; some Uber drivers will talk your ear off if you give them to understand that you're open to conversing).  I understand that Uber is in the vanguard of working on self-driving car technology; cf the list in the previous paragraph of some of the problems with human workers. 

Catholic social teaching is both anachronistic and pesky on this question of workers vs. technology.  It insists that workers take priority over capital (a kiosk being a fine example of a contemporary capital investment).  The proliferation of kiosks and self-checkout stations are problematic in a couple of ways:
  • It eliminates the jobs of workers
  • The cases of McDonalds kiosks and grocery store self-checkout stations (and, if they ever come, self-driving Uber cars) are particularly problematic because the jobs they eliminate are those of the lowest-paid, least-skilled workers, who are likely to have the fewest alternatives for earning a living wage.
My conservative friends have zero patience when I point these things out.  They note that the innovation and proliferation of technology traditionally has been a tremendous creator of new jobs.  There is no doubt this is true.  My own career, such as it is, has been in the high-tech world.  I have no personal cause for complaint: I've been earning a living wage for many years.  But I have a college degree.  I'm reasonably bright.  If I may say so, I am reasonably articulate and look reasonably presentable.  Not to put too fine a point on it, I'm also white and a male.  So I'm brimming with employment advantages.  There are people with gaps in several (or all) of these hard and soft attributes.  What to do about them?  They're also entitled to the dignity of work.  That verb "entitled" doesn't get any traction in conservative politics these days, and I'm not certain that it gets much in liberal politics, either.  We have a long way to go to build God's kingdom.  O come, O come Emmanuel.

34 comments:

  1. Robots can make hamburgers. Robots don't eat hamburgers. Little economic problem abrewing there. I gave up on McDonalds many decades ago. I avoid chain restaurants period. I went to a Red Robin last year. When it comes time to pay the bill, they shove a touch screen in my face. Yuck. On one of the days the caregiver takes care of my mother, I go to Rudy's Tavern for lunch. They only make two things: a chicken sandwich and superdog, both delicious. They've been making them from before I was born. Only high tech in the place are the HDTV's and the ATM. I tried another bar. When I saw the bartendress use a touchpad to take my order, I figured it was my last time there.
    Jim, it may take you longer to order via touchscreen but not a teenager. Human beings are being reprogrammed to not need or interact with other human beings. On the other hand, the Weinachtsmarkt I attended last night in NJ was really crowded. Actual human beings buying and selling handcrafted goods. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We vacation in Canada every few years, and have noticed that the waiters there bring a wireless credit card swipe/keypad to the table with them when they present the check. So they skip the whole custom of taking the customer's credit card away to a different part of the restaurant to ring it up. The way Canadians do it seems to make so much sense, it's difficult to understand why American eateries haven't adopted it. The things we can learn from Canada.

      Delete
  2. I sympathize with you, Jim. There are times when the things that you need to do (such as make a living) get in the way of things you want to do (such as mess around on the internet). However I am glad to see you back here commenting.
    I am also concerned about the systematic elimination of jobs for the lowest paid and least skilled workers. And I am also guilty, because lately I have used self checkout at Walmart, because the lines were too long at the actual cashiers' checkstand. Of course that is a feature, not a bug. They are trying to force us to self-checkout. And I guess it works as a strategy. For the ones who say that this only creates new tech jobs, that only holds true if you have the education and skill sets. Even if we had free college, there are a lot of people who couldn't take advantage of it for one reason and another. And as you say, they are entitled to the dignity of work. It is ironic that at the same time we as a society are eliminating those entry level jobs, we are shrinking the social safety net. I am especially appalled at the Trump administration cutting back on the SNAP program.
    One set of employers who are not using self-checkout are the dollar stores. I shop at Dollar General a lot, because it is a few blocks from our house, and Walmart is a 6 mile drive. And it doesn't make sense for empty nesters like us to belong to Sam's Club or Costco (both of those would be a 90 mile drive anyway). The size and quantities of Dollar General stuff is smaller, but that means less waste for us, because we wouldn't be able to use up the mega sizes in a timely basis. I am picky though about which dollar stores I use. I don't like Family Dollar; they have a reputation of treating their help poorly. Interestingly, Dollar Tree, which is pretty much the lower level of dollar stores (everything actually is a dollar) seems to do a better job of retaining help. Their help seems to have a lot of different types of challenges, so probably not a lot of other options out there.
    Another employer not using self-checkout are the convenience/gas stores. The gas pumps are automated, but you have to go inside to buy anything else. They do a thriving business in lottery tickets.
    Last night after Mass we stopped to get food at Sonic. I don't know if you have them where you are, but they are kind of a retro thing, trying to echo the 60s a bit. They used to have car hops taking orders. Now they have a kiosk at each car stall. But people still bring the food out. I love their caramel shakes, but got a case of heartburn from the nearly burnt bacon on their BLT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And P.S. to above, I have zero sympathy for the people who frequent Whole Foods and trendy farmer's markets, who decry Dollar General because it contributes to "food deserts". I've got news for them; the food deserts were a pre-existing condition.

      Delete
  3. I ran into one of those kiosks last time I went inside a McD's, but a teen-age waif was on hand to help me negotiate it. I found it a tad less obnoxious than airport check-in kiosks, which you usually have to handle with luggage in one hand your ID in your other hand and your ticket in your other other hand. Oh, you don't have three hands? Well American Airlines is not responsible for that.

    Since my one scrimmage with the machine, I have used the drive-through, where McD's has to have two people at work, one to take my order and money and one to deliver the sausage McMuffin. I suppose the first person will be redundant when they put kiosks outside and make me pay with my cell phone, a common practice already in more advanced countries like Japan and Finland, and one that is certain to come, over my dead body, to the laggard U.S.A. in the fullness of time. I don't go to McDonald's often, just sometimes on Saturday morning when I have been up since 5, it is now 10:15, and I have to do the grocery shopping yet on the meager bowl of cereal I had at 6:30. And sometimes when nostalgia is just overpowering.

    We have a grocery chain, Publix -- it's based in Lakeland, so I don't know how widespread it may be outside Florida -- where the employees are downright delightful to a person. Since I have been using a cane, I can't bend down to get something off a shelf without an employee running up to offer to get it for me. In every aisle, I am asked if I am finding what I need. The cashiers laugh at my jokes, and the baggers -- lightly handicapped people the stores hire through Goodwill -- do, too. I left my wallet in my car one day and didn't notice until I had a whole cartful. So I put the cart in an unused aisle, told the cashier where I was going and added, "like an idiot." She replied, "Oh we have bigger idiots than you every day." You don't get repartee from kiosks. Whole Wallet and Trader Jack's are more entertaining, but, because of human service, my heart belongs to Publix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Publix sounds a lot like HyVee, which is my favorite place to buy groceries.
      JC Penney's tried a thing a couple of years back which thankfully didn't catch on. They had roving cashiers (who ironically didn't actually handle any cash) who would offer to check put your purchases with a cell phone. Apparently they found out that people actually need a counter top to lay their stuff down and dig out their method of payment. Didn't seem like rocket science.

      Delete
    2. Katherine - I researched this carefully (which means I spent 10 seconds on Google): it appears that both Publix and HyVee are employee-owned. Which is kind of cool.

      There is a HyVee in the college town in Iowa where my boys go to school. But the students shop at Walmart - it's cheaper.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Walmart is cheaper on some things. But I find that HyVee has a better selection on a lot of items. They run good specials, and the people in the produce and meat departments are very helpful.

      Delete
  4. NYC, at least my neighborhood, is pretty retro, I see. There is a McDonald's across the street but we never go there.

    There are three "grocery" stores within five short blocks. Only one is a traditional supermarket (Gristede's). It is the more expensive, but they generally have everything. Because it is more expensive, it is never crowded, so if you're in a hurry you can grab what you want and a reasonably friendly checker takes your money (and for now, will give you a plastic bag if you haven't brought your own).

    Then there's "Garden of Eden" market. I detect that its owner/manager is Middle Eastern...maybe Turkish, maybe Lebanese. Fresh fruits and veggies, more than you'd want, salad bar, fish market, meat market, cheese market, olives, capers, etc...frozen food market, a kind of bakery, all staffed by men and women who know their stuff. I like going there; it reminds me of France. But they don't carry much in the way of what I call groceries...toilet paper, dish soap, etc. The checkers are a friendly combo of Hispanic, middle Eastern (with hijabs), and now and again an African (from Africa) who is possibly illegal.

    Then there's West Side Market, which is like a supermarket, except it has grown like topsey so there is little rhyme or reason to where things are, the aisles are only one cart wide, and the shelves are always being restocked...I love the people who work there...I assume they are all illegal except for the manager and the cheese guy. I love that the local fire company and police contingent buy their breakfast, lunch and dinner there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound like fun places to shop. We have a "supermercado" here, which is part Mexican deli and part grocery store. And a bunch of food trucks, including a Cuban one and a Guatemalan one. Lots of peoole from south of the border working in the packing plants, also some Africans from Africa.
      I enjoy going in the Asian market in Omaha, which has everything Asian you could possibly want (and some besides). I don't really do that much Asian cooking. I mainly just browse, though I do like Chinese tea, and Filipino cracker coated peanuts.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention the Korean market where I buy rice vinegar and sometimes fish. But it's not my regular stop. Columbia U. just up the street probably supplies many of their Asian customers. My neighbor thinks their fruits and veggies are top-notch, but they're too pricey compared to West Side Market.

      Delete
    3. On the restaurant front: There are several empty restaurants up and down the avenue; the $15 minimum wage build passed in New York State is one factor among others in putting them out of business. Robots...not for us. I like to cook.

      Delete
    4. Margaret, it sounds as though your grocery shopping options are not the large national chains. Whether a local or regional chain like Gristedes, or independent grocers like the others you described (I am guessing they are independent?) would wish to invest in the technology, I am not certain. There might be economies of scale such that it makes more sense for the large chains than the smaller operators.

      One of our local chains, Jewel, now owned by a national company, Safeway, had tried the self-checkout stations some 15-20 years ago. After a few years, they were removed, ostensibly because the rate of theft/shoplifting was too high. Also, the stations weren't always very reliable - it was pretty common that a customer would need assistance from a store employee to complete a transaction, which sort of defeated the purpose of the machine. But now the stations are back, and they appear to be the very same systems. They do seem to work a bit better than last time; I hardly ever need help to get myself checked out. Target has them now, too, but they seem to be less forgiving; seems I always need a Target employee to run over, type in a special code, and then make an error message go away in order to complete a transaction there.

      Delete
    5. Jim, interesting that you mention Safeway. A number of years ago they pulled back from the eastern half of the US. The Safeway store in my hometown in western NE was said to be its farthest eastern outpost. Now maybe with owning Jewel they are venturing east again. They got burned badly in the Theranos scandal; they had planned to open a bunch of in-store convenient care clinics. But I believe that's off the table now.

      Delete
    6. Katherine - looks like it's a little more complicated than I had reported earlier. Previously, Jewel was owned by Albertson's. Cerberus Capital bought at least some of the Albertson's stores. Cerberus then bought Safeway as well. So it's not exactly right to say that Safeway owns Jewel; but they're part of the same corporate family ("corporate" in the sense of "equity group that buys and sells companies").

      Delete
    7. Re Gristede's: I think it is almost totally local NY. Mr. Gristede ran for mayor of NYC last time or the time before. Did not win. I believe their continuity and longevity is due to the possibility that they have 500 year leases and they came with the Dutch. Though I believe Gristede is Greek...probably one of the mates on the "Half Moon."

      Delete
  5. Katherine, there has been a Safeway in my east coast town for all the 47 years we have lived here. They have been all over the region during all that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safeway used to be all over Nebraska, too, but now there's very few here. Maybe they pulled out of the midwest more than the east. Too bad, I liked shopping there. Colorado still has them. I read about the thing with them and Theranos in the book "Bad Blood" by John Carryrou.

      Delete
  6. There was a time when McDonalds thought that its employees were one of its differentiators, something it could market, right up there with quality, affordability, no-wait, consistency, cleanliness and so on. This link is to a string of vintage McDonalds commercials (one or two of which I recall from childhood); the commercial that starts a 3:11 touts its virtuous employees.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjyYB0-LY0U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Schultz at Starbucks showed up everybody in the low-wage business with the fringes he offered his minions. I approve of that. But I am too daunted to bother his baristas by trying to understand what I might order there.

      Delete
    2. Tom, try the white chocolate caramel latte, caf or decaf.

      Delete
    3. My mother, as a trained candymaker, objected to the term "white chocolate". She said there was no cocoa in it so it was not chocolate. She used the term "confectioner's fat". So, if you want to be a smarty pants, order a confectioner's fat caramel latte.

      Delete
    4. What's the matter with plain black coffee? By the way, Stanley, I think that learning that there is no such thing as white chocolate was a bigger blow to my weltanschauung than finding out there was no Santa Claus.

      Delete
    5. White chocolate does have cocoa butter as an ingredient. So maybe that's their justification for calling it "chocolate". I used to have a chocolate sensitivity, which I sort of got over. But I still don't prefer dark chocolate. .

      Delete
    6. Sorry, Tom. But the truth must be told. Katherine, I'll have to check into it. My mother was a big believer that eating chocolate was healthier than the other stuff. When she was still making candy on the holidays, she was only using dark chocolate.

      Delete
    7. Chocolate helps you recover from a Dementor attack. So there's that.

      Delete
    8. If I ever have a Dementor attack, I'll raid my wife's dark chocolate Doves. And if I ever have to do that, I'll have to let her into my Remy Martin. Which she doesn't particularly like. Hardly seems worth the exchange. Guess I'll face the Dementor instead.

      Delete
  7. The only time I go to McDonalds is for French fries. I don't get anything else so I use the drive thru window. Generally I don't eat fast food.

    Most of my groceries shopping is from Giant Eagle which has fuel perks (they also run a gas station). You can get fuel perks on gift card. So I mainly now use gift cards rather than credit cards for most of my purchases.

    Giant Eagle has had self check out lines for about a decade now. It is really much more efficient for small and medium size purchases. But most people with a grocery cart full use the regular check out lines.

    This past year Giant Eagle began a scan your own purchases as you shop. You pick up an iPhone type gadget at the entrance, scan things as you put them in the cart than pay as you leave. I don't see many people using it.

    Giant Eagle has also been trying a service where you give them your list by phone or computer and they have it all ready for you when you arrive at the store. Again there does not seem to be many takers. Suspect most people like to choose their own things.

    So all these attempts to automate run up against the human in us. Some of them seem to succeed moderately and others not so much and the retailer has to decide whether on not to support ways of shopping that only work for some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, that scan-as-you-shop process is pretty interesting. I had read somewhere that retailers were considering it, but this is the first I've heard that they're trying it out. Haven't heard of anything like that around here. The Eagle chain isn't in the Chicago market, to the best of my knowledge, although they've been in the Rockford, IL market for years.

      Delete
  8. Giant Eagle is not the only grocery store intown. We also have Heinens a Cleveland Family business. Both of them have high quality food, and in the case of Heinens higher prices and more prepared foods. Both are also unionized.

    A K-Mart Superstore used to be part of the scene. They had poor food, poor service, long lines because they had only a few checkers for their few customers. They went out of business and were replaced by Meiers which also has the super store model. I checked them out a few times, again poor food, not as much selection and their slightly lower prices did not offset the gas savings from fuel perks. Their parking lot was full and Giant Eagles were less full for a few weeks, then they went to being more like K-mart, a shopping place slightly above the dollar stores. I suspect there is a lot of class stratification in the customers of all these stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing KMart used to have was layaway. A lot of people watching their budget liked that.

      Delete
    2. Walmart had layaway, too. Perhaps still does. I walked into a Walmart on Black Friday morning one year and couldn't figure out why the line was so long. I was told that it was the layaway line. That was one of my first clues that not everybody lived the way I did.

      Delete
    3. I used layaway at times myself in our younger days. People say, just use a credit card, it's more convenient. But not having credit card debt is in itself an advantage. And also it allows one to plan ahead for things such as Christmas gifts and back to school. I used layaway once for a coat that I really wanted, but would have felt guilty about plunking down cash for it (even mall stores used to sometimes have layaway)

      Delete