Tuesday, December 31, 2019

I Dreamed a Dream

 St Joseph paid attention to his dreams. People did that until Sigmund Freud came along and told them the dreams showed they hated their mother and had a thing for their Skye terrier. So we don’t talk about our dreams now.
 I’m going to break tradition and talk about the one I had Sunday night. I had it twice, actually, because I woke up remembering it clearly, then went back to sleep and had it again, with some elaboration. I’ve been thinking about it since I woke up Monday. It’s about our Herod.
 Here is the dream, and some interpretation:


 I am in a group standing at a chain link fence at an airport looking down the runway toward a religious service going on at the other end. Airplanes are being dedicated. We are told that the planes will be used to transport aliens back to where they came from. They have been donated by the airlines, under some White House pressure, for the purpose.
 The reason the airlines were willing to donate them is this: In January, the skies are full of private jets taking their owners to scores of important football games. There are so many private aircraft flying then that the commercial airliners become a safety hazard. So, for the month of January, the FAA limited commercial flights to 12 a day for the large airlines and four  a day for small airlines.
 That experiment worked so well, that the president made it year-around by executive order.
 After the planes are dedicated, the seats are going to be removed and straps hung from the ceiling for the deportees to hold onto. Trump tweeted that he deportees will have more room than the airlines gave their passengers.

I can explain a lot of that. I was standing at the west end of Palm Beach International Airport, and the religious ceremony was being conducted in the southeast corner,  where Air Force One is parked at the moment. Airline seats are one of my greatest peeves.
 But what I have been thinking is this:
 If the dream came true, would Addison McConnell allow the Senate to vote on any measure to save the airlines or stop he mass deportations? Doubtful. And the Supreme Court? 5-4 to uphold the president on grounds the airlines were compensated with a tax write-off. How weird was that dream?

And Happy New Year to all.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Tom. That's quite a dream. At least there weren't any angels bearing messages in it. It beats my dream last night of dreading to deal with a dead bird in my dresser drawer. Why does stuff like that always happen to me. I was glad to wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me think of a couple of works of literature which were based on a dream, The Dream of the Rood, and Piers Plowman. Maybe you could do a narrative poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've attained lucid dreaming where I know I'm dreaming. Unfortunately, I wake up before I can have some fun with it. Oh, for a lucid dream with Trump in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raber seems able to control his dreams. It's very weird and really annoying that he seems to think those who have nightmares are just victims of their own weak will.

      Delete
    2. And what if St. Joseph had controlled his dream. "Marry Mary." Hmmm, nope, sounds like trouble, gonna change that outcome.

      Delete
    3. I think that Joel 3:1 (quoted in Acts, too) gets it exactly backwards. As a young man I saw visions. As an old man I dream dreams. There is a whole geography operating in my dreams that is a mash-up of various places I've lived. (You can see, for example, a hotel like one I stayed in in Detroit from the street under one of the corners of Chicago's "L".) I never before had such remembrance of dreams and regularity of subjects as I do now.

      Delete
    4. That's interesting, Tom. I don't dream much due to poor quality sleep, which is common among other folks in my cancer group. As a result, it is easy for us to go into a day-dreamy state during waking hours and to experience intense memories of people and places. It is a bit disconcerting, like having two realities going on at the same time. The memories can also trigger moods that are inappropriate to what is "really" going on. Drinking lots of strong coffee during the day helps us keep focused but probably adds to the sleep disruption. There seems to be some kind of need for people to dream, though nobody has ever proven why.

      Delete