Sunday, December 15, 2019

"First, Do No Harm"

I don't know if any of you have come across this tragic story about a young woman, Alana Chen, who died in an apparent suicide. She had previously shared her story in August in a Denver Post article about undergoing "conversion therapy" . From that article:

"Chen came out to a priest at Boulder’s St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church when she was in high school around 2009. The priest began counseling Chen informally throughout her high school years, telling her not to tell her parents, she said."
"...Chen continued attending the church after enrolling at the University of Colorado Boulder in 2013 and sought more formal counseling through her church and Catholic Charities’ Sacred Heart Counseling, formerly known as Regina Caeli Clinical Services. Chen said she was trying to reconcile her sexual identity with her dream of becoming a nun.
“I felt a lot of shame and anxiety,” Chen said. “I couldn’t sleep. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Was I going to hell? But I was still extremely faithful, and I felt like the church and the counseling was the thing that was saving me. The worse I got, the more I clung to it.”
"...Chen wound up in a psychiatric hospital in 2016 after her family found scars on her arms from self-harming. She distanced herself from the church, stopped attending CU Boulder and started long-term mental health treatment."
Chen said, “I was feeling so much shame that I was comforted by the thought of hurting myself. I’ve now basically completely lost my faith. I don’t know what I believe about God, but I think if there is a God, he doesn’t need me talking to him anymore.”

This is from a statement made on a public Facebook page by Alana Chen's mother, after her death:
"This is Father David Nix's blog (www.padreperegrino.org), the first priest who destroyed my daughter, Alana’s life. He is very responsible for her depression and ultimately her suicide. Alana trusted him and came out to him when she was 14. He responded by telling her to never tell her family, because we would accept her and love her unconditionally. He was manipulating and brainwashing Alana from ages 14-21. Nix's beliefs are not of God and Jesus. He told her it was a mortal sin to be attracted to woman and would refer to it as SSA (same sex attraction). In the blog below, Denver's Bishop Samuel J. Aquila (extremely conservative) approves Father David Nix becoming a "hermit priest", whatever that means. The Bishop had to relocate Father Nix to several different Churches in Colorado and other states because he was outrageous and causing harm to each one. For years, I've reached out to the Bishop to have Alana protected from Nix and to help my daughter from the religious abuse. The Bishop personally never returned my calls or emails.
Father Peter Mussett, the Pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas mentored Alana in the same harmful way after Nix left. Mussett presents himself as very loving and inclusive in his homilies and appearance, and many CU Boulder students are attracted to this Church because of that. But Mussett also taught Alana that LGBTQ were not allowed to receive communion if they were in relationships. My daughter had to go to confession with male priests weekly if she wanted to receive communion at mass. Mussett never responded to my emails.
While Alana was attending CU, the Bishop sent a group of nuns called the Sisters of Life to administer mentoring and Spiritual Direction to churches nearby college campuses, clearly targeting the youth. They talked her into conversion therapy, asked for my permission, and I absolutely refused.
After years of this type of emotional and religious abuse, Alana progressively became depressed, distraught, and suicidal. During these periods, while in hospitals and rehab, I reached out to all members of the church to not contact Alana. Did they listen? No. They would call Alana and show up at the treatment center. "

Here are a few of my thoughts on this tragedy:  The first is that when my husband was in deacon formation, they were told that they should absolutely never attempt psychotherapy unless they were trained and had qualifications for that, and it was their profession. If someone came to them and needed that kind of help, they were to refer them to a qualified professional. I assumed that priests were also given that kind of a caveat.  But perhaps not.
However, this young woman was referred to Catholic Charities, which normally would have people who were qualified psychotherapists.  And I realize that Catholic Charities vary a lot according to location. But in this instance they attempted conversion therapy, which has been widely discredited, and which is illegal on minors in Colorado.  However Alana Chen was not a minor at this time and was not protected under this law.
There are a number of red flags here.  The first was when Alana was a teenager and sought counseling from Father Nix, and he told her not to tell her family. That was all kinds of sketchy. Another flag was when her mother complained to the archdiocese, she got no response.  And later found out that Father Nix had been relocated to several churches because of problems. And yet another flag was when Alana's mother asked the nuns and church people not to contact Alana during her time in hospital and rehab, and they did not respect that request.
The lessons to be learned by the church from this tragedy are negative ones, what not to do in their efforts to accompany LGBQT people.  They should start by reading Fr. James Martin's book, "Building a Bridge: How the Catholic Church and the LGBT Community Can Enter into a Relationship of Respect, Compassion, and Sensitivity".

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is a tragedy. I also have no patience for so-called conversion therapy.

    I admit I take the grieving mom's position that 'the church killed my daughter' with a huge grain of salt. Alana clearly had issues she was struggling with, and it's impossible to know how her life would have progressed had she not run into Nix (who does sound like someone who shouldn't be turned loose in public).

    I've never heard of Catholic Charities being a proponent of 'conversion therapy'. Catholic Charities in this area doesn't do anything like that. The claim is so foreign to the Catholic Charities that I know, that I have a hard time believing it's true, to be honest.

    I guess I should feel lucky to be in Chicago. The sort of ideological nonsense that apparently is promoted in Boulder is given short shrift here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, yeah, I take the mom's statement with a grain of salt. But I also have never lost a child, and never had to deal with my child being "different" from what is accepted by the church. So I give her a lot of slack here, it doesn't sound like she had any support in trying to advocate for her daughter .
      A little background on the Archdiocese of Denver. We lived there (in Fort Collins) through most of the 1980s. During that time the church there was quite liberal. About the time we moved, there was a concerted effort by the PTB to move the needle the other direction. Not to say that it didn't need to go a little more to the center. Archbishop James Casey died in office, and Abp. Stafford (later cardinal) was appointed. He was considered a moderate. After him was Abp.Charles Chaput, and then Abp. Samuel Aquila. Both of the latter two seem to be in the "culture warrior" mold. They were on a mission to shape the place up, particularly Boulder and CU. So of course the CU Catholic center was a target. As a result the church there has conservative leadership, and a conservative focus. But the ambient culture isn't conservative, Boulder's always gonna be Boulder. And to me this is a recipe for making "nones".
      As far as Catholic Charities go, I suppose it depends on the people runnimg things in that location. Though it seems like the ones pushing conversion therapy were the nuns from the Sisters of Life. Who shouldn't have been interfering once the family asked them to back off.

      On a personal note, we moved from the Denver Archdiocese in 1989, to the Lincoln Diocese. Talk about a mood swing.

      Delete
    2. "Liberal" vs. "Conservative" only goes so far. At some point, Catholics needs to be Catholic. Not all conservatives embrace whacked-out ideas like 'conversion therapy'. And whether or not one has pastoral skills is, from what I can tell, independent of whether one is "liberal" or "conservative".

      I think the church needs to distance itself from 'conversion therapy' as quickly as it can.

      Delete
    3. Jim, agreed "Liberal vs Conservative only goes so far."
      There's a lot of wacky stuff floating around, and people need to exercise their own powers of discernment.

      Delete
  3. "Hermit priest"s -- the term stopped me -- apparently exist in this day and age. (Well, I was stunned to find out there were still Penitentes, too.) But Google indicates there are such things, and maybe it's a good place for priests who can't control their mouths and/or other organs:

    ttps://hermitsofsaintbruno.org/2019/03/02/the-diocesan-hermit-in-the-catholic-church/
    and, maybe:
    https://citydesert.wordpress.com/2013/12/13/the-hermit-in-roman-catholic-canon-law/

    It sounds like just the "solution" a diocese like Denver would seize upon.

    Of course, such a solution does nothing for the victim. But dummying up, as the bishop and pastor seem to have done, does even worse for the victim and injures the Church and the Christian community. And therefore calls for great penance from those who think, "Say nothing. Anything you say will just help some sleazy lawyer get richer." I sort of suspect that is the kind of advice bishops get from Fourth Degree Knight lawyers working pro bono for the diocese, but I have never been able to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't there some line between theological/moral counsel and practicing psycho therapy or medicine without a license?

    I can see where a priest might tell someone that they are hell-bound if they persist in homosexual activity, and that they should not present themselves for communion without a free and full confession. It's a harsh response, but the CCC would back it up.

    However, suggesting a particular medical or psychological "fix" for a "malady of the soul" is not up to the priest to suggest, much less dole out. Is working with someone to change their sexual orientation much different than offering to castrate a serial adulterer with surgery of pills?

    Telling a minor not to talk to his parents is really beyond the pale.

    Blaming the priest for the girl's suicide seems dicey. She had already rejected his treatment as harmful. But I understand why her parents are beside themselves, and the priest and diocese will have a lot to answer for if there is any justice beyond this life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the mom is lashing out a bit. Can't say I blame her, but as you say, blaming the priest is dicey (I am speaking of the pastor of the university center).
      The original priest who counseled Alana, Fr. Nix, is another story. By telling her not to tell her parents about her orientation, he deprived them of the opportunity to help and support her. It appears that eventually she did confide in them, but not until a lot of time had gone by.

      Delete