Thursday, December 26, 2019

Christmas report

Hi everyone, I'm coming up for air.  I've spent the last week doing full-time Christmas preparation: getting the Christmas shopping done, the Christmas cards out the door, baking, cooking - and worship.

Worship-wise, this year has been particularly intense, even by the standards of this worship-full season.  Our parish had ... hold on a moment while I count them up ... eight Christmas masses, half of which actually landed on Christmas Day (the others were on Christmas Eve - more about that below).

For liturgy, it's been a bit of a perfect storm for me this year.  A few years ago, our parish had four deacons, but now we're down to two - one passed away, and another moved away.  We've been trying to recruit more deacon candidates among our parishioners, but it's proved to be surprisingly difficult to find men in the right age bracket and life situation who would consider discerning whether God might be calling them.  Perhaps I'll write more about that sometime.  Even if we're able to round up candidates, it's a minimum of four years before ordination, so for now, it's just Deacon Joe and me, splitting the diaconal duties.

Of course, a Christmas mass, or any mass, can happen without a deacon.  But cf the perfect storm.  Our parish has one priest.  At this time last year, we had two priests; and not that many years ago, we had two active guys, supplemented by two actively-retired guys who lived in the parish rectory, so we had four priests to share the mass assignments.  But through the inexorable forces of priestly attrition - death, disability, new assignments, etc. - now we're down to one.  That guy, our pastor, doesn't quail from hard work and serving his people, but asking him to do eight masses over two days is just too much - even if he could bilocate, as on a couple of occasions we had two masses going on more or less simultaneously, one in church and the other in the parish center.  So we had to line up some visiting priests to fill out the schedule.  And our rule is: whenever a visiting priest is assigned, a deacon is assigned to serve with him.  So Joe and I had some visitor slots to cover.

Did I mention the perfect storm?  In addition to the above, our music director is on medical leave.  This would not be the time of year a pastor would choose to have the music director on medical leave (not that it was our director's choice; it was just unfortunate circumstances).  Because there is no such thing as a "visitor music director" that is analogous to a visitor priest, waiting to jump in at a moment's notice (at least not anyone we'd want within a country mile of our music ministry), we had to make do and muddle through with whoever in the parish can approximate a music director for a short period of time.  I'm one of those people. So I directed the choir for midnight mass, and also played for one of the other masses.

All told, I was a deacon of the mass or (what is much harder work) leading music at five masses over the space of about 20 hours.  And there were hours upon hours of preparation for all of the above, especially for the music stuff.  And none of this stuff is my day job; this is all on top of the things that I do during the day to pay for a mortgage, cars, college tuition and other pesky financial commitments.

Anyway, it was a lot.

Our two highest-attended masses this year were the 3 pm Christmas Eve (in church) and the 3:15 pm Christmas Eve (in the parish center).  People around here want to do their Christmas worshiping on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas Day.  In the 1990s, when we first moved to this community, the parish would do a Christmas mass as early as 1 pm on Christmas Eve - and it was very popular with parishioners.  But the archdiocese put the kibosh on Christmas masses that early.  I understand the liturgical-integrity point of view, but personally, I would say: If people want to go to church at that time, let's provide them with church at that time.  From what I can tell, there are two groups who prefer mass on Christmas Eve afternoon: families with young children; and folks who observe ethnic traditions that involve Christmas Eve evening family gatherings and big dinners.

For the three masses at which I was a deacon, I tried to arrive an hour early, stand by the entrance door and greet people on the way in.  It was great.  I must have said Merry Christmas, individually, to a couple of thousand people, and I shook countless hands.  Some of those people were regulars, and some were complete strangers.

As for the rest of the Christmas silliness: I managed to get the Christmas cards out before Christmas actually rolled around, something that doesn't happen every year (the Christmas cards part, I mean; Christmas itself comes every year, Gaudete!).  I send out somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-90 cards.  I include a family letter which provides an annual update on the doings of the members of the family.  We used to send out a family picture, but some members of the family are now bridling at having their picture taken and sent out to people they don't know.  So the letter is text-only. 

We also get Christmas cards every year, although only about half as many as we send out.  I recognize that, in this Era of Facebook, Christmas cards may be passe.  But they are more private than Facebook (I think; I don't trust Facebook when it comes to privacy).  We seem to get a few fewer cards each year.  I'd like to think that people are glad to hear from us, and that they actually read the family Christmas letter.  But I can't say for certain that is the case.  Just speaking for myself, I'm grateful for any cards that come in, and I read all their family letters and look at all their pictures.  I play a game: look at the family picture first, and see if I can guess who sent us the card.  I can figure it out about a quarter of the time. 

The shopping this year was frustrating.  If I'm not mistaken, the "shopping season" was a few days shorter this year than the average, and I struggled to get it done.  I didn't finish until Dec 23rd this year.  I told myself at the beginning of the season that I'd do more online shopping, but I didn't follow through - didn't order more than 1-2 items online.  If I know precisely what I'm going to buy  - what part number, from which vendor - I have no qualms about ordering it online.  But if I have to comparison shop, I'd rather hit a mall or an outlet mall or some such, tramp around and finger the merchandise.  But in the end, it was done, and I had a wrapping marathon on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day itself, to be candid, is always a bit of an anti-climax for me.  After church is behind us and the gifts are opened, the day sort of lacks direction and structure.  I get bored pretty easily.  We cook a big Christmas dinner every year - another source of stress for me.  It's also kind of melancholy for me in that I don't have any extended family in the Chicago area, so nobody comes over, and we have nobody to visit.  My brothers and sisters are scattered all over the US, and I'm sort of tied down to the parish during Christmastime, so travel isn't an option for me.  It would be nice if any of my siblings came to visit me, but none of them ever have.   Nearly all of them are more than driving distance away, and when we were younger, flying was too expensive for them.  So we've all sort of developed our own individual family traditions.  It's too bad.

Somewhere in the midst of all this, I try to celebrate the Incarnation.  It's easy to lose the thread in the midst of all the seasonal bustle.

33 comments:

  1. Re Christmas: Keep the food simple and your family expectations low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jim, you have been busy! I got tired just reading about it. Take your vitamins and use hand sanitizer. Lot of stuff going around and you don't want to get sick.
    Our Christmases used to be like that. But each year they're getting simpler. For one thing our parish cut back the number of Masses. Because we had to. The visiting retired priests we used to get passed away. The Benedictines are all busy elsewhere. We no longer have a midnight Mass. As a musician who is not a night person, I rejoiced. We have a 5:00 pm children's Mass, and a 7:00 pm Mass on Christmas eve. Then an 8:00 am and a 10:00 am in the morning. The music people are responsible for running their own show; we don't have a director except for the leaders of the individual groups.
    We had our family celebration on Dec. 21st at our house. On Christmas day after Mass we just had a nice quiet day with us and the cats. I didn't send any cards, texted all the extended family and called so me of them. Going to send some New Years cards.
    I can remember trying to absolutely do everything, and invariably would end up getting sick afterwards. It's not worth it.
    The craziest Christmas was the day when the shower drain backed up, and the oven element burned out just as I was going to put a roast and a cheesecake, and our older son's water bed came apart. I'll bet the people who turned around to give me the sign of peace at Mass wondered why I was crying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess I'm not a fan of midnight mass either. In fact, I've only gone to it twice in my life that I can remember (earlier this week was the second time). I'm an early-to-bed, early-to-rise person. My pastor is the same - in fact, he's more so than I am. Many of the parishes in this area do the "midnight mass" at 10 pm or 11 pm. Our pastor would be strongly in favor of doing the same. But so far he's heard sufficient pushback from the tradition-minded that he hasn't pulled the trigger.

      I mentioned in the post that extended family doesn't come in for Christmas, but there is one exception: my parents, who live about an hour away and are still pretty fine to drive, at least in the daytime. They visit my brother in Michigan for Christmas day, so we get together with them either before or after Christmas. Usually, I vote for after. We've done before a few times, like your get-together on the 21st, but it's really a push for us to be ready - we still have to get through all the things I mentioned in my post. We'll see my folks tomorrow.

      That craziest Christmas sounds to me like an awful Christmas. Hope you can laugh about it now.

      Delete
  3. 3 p.m. is way too early, imho, for a Christmas vigil Mass. Did you have Santa Claus for it? We always have Santa at the Vigil Mass because he makes it so interesting for the children. Mass is so dull otherwise, isn't it? We had 715 at our 4 p.m. Vigil. Midnight Mass used to be the biggie. We had only 420 for that, and that's a few less than we had for 8 a.m. At noon, the bilingual Mass, we had 202 (it's usually about 280 at this time of the year).

    Clearly, people have decided that it's best to get the Mass out of the way arly so they can get on with Christmas. Having to go to Mass has bedome a terrible distraction from Christmas. And I am the Sultan of Brunei.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to get Mass out of the way. I just don't want to do all the housecleaning and cooking and cleaning up afterwards.

      Delete
    2. Our vigil was at 4 p.m. and Christmas morning Mass at 11 a.m. Our old priest died a month ago, so the new one has to buzz back and forth 10 miles between services in the two parishes.

      The vigil at 4 p.m. is utter bedlam with some kind of children's pageant, and Father's vigil at the other parish was set for 7, and he just made it. Then he had 9 a.m. Mass at the other parish and spent most of his homily at the 11 a.m. we attended griping in a jokey (but not really) way about how few people were there, so maybe we.should.combine Christmas Day Masses. At least it was sunny and 53 degrees, so no icy back roads to deal with.

      He is clearly overworked as pastor of two parishes, the diocesan chaplain for the K of C, and leader of pilgrimage tours through Michigan and Quebec. I expect he'll be burned out before Holy Week.

      He has not made a smooth transition into his new duties. He's not much of a "people person." He made a Church Lady cry. The gossip machinery is working overtime.

      Delete
    3. Seems like the diocese could make things easier for him by taking the extra duties away. Do the K of C actually need a chaplain? A lay person could lead pilgrimages, if pilgrimages really need to be led.
      It is pretty common for tour companies to offer priests free or reduced fare travel if they will lead a tour to the Holy Land or Rome. Our priest was supposed to lead a tour to the shrines of France last summer. It got cancelled for lack of people signing up. I don't suppose it could have been the $9K price tag for a couple to go.

      Delete
    4. Tom - no Santa at our masses. Although the Jolly Old does put in a couple of appearances, once at our Advent Pancake Breakfast (2nd or 3rd Sunday in Advent), and once during our Gift of Love, when poor people from the area come to pick up Christmas gifts that parishioners have anonymously purchased for them.

      Not completely sure how I'd feel about having Santa at mass. I was thinking about it earlier today and came up with a comparison to having an American flag in a sanctuary, something done in many parishes (including the one my family belonged to when I was a boy), but is officially frowned upon or at least not encouraged.

      The question is: what does it mean? What does it mean to have an American flag in a sanctuary? Does it mean that our love of country is subsidiary to our faith, and so we're putting our flag at the altar with our other offertory offerings? Or does it mean that the flag is an idol we worship? (In that case, shouldn't those masked Protectors of All That Is Holy who tossed the Pachamama idol into the Tiber during the recent Amazon Synod be doing the same to American flags?)

      Likewise, what does it really mean to have Santa at mass? If he really is supposed to be St. Nicholas, who still occupies a spot on the universal Roman calendar of saints, then maybe his being at mass is sort of a living, breathing statue? Or is he a secular idol, profaning the worship space?

      (I'm just enough of a liturgist to be able to pose the question, 'What does it mean?', but not enough of a liturgist to be able to actually answer the question.)

      Delete
    5. Jean - yes, we should definitely pray for our overworked, overburdened priests. I'm sorry to say, their reality is going to break or kill them. Katherine is right on: priests, and all of us, need to discern what's necessary and what's not. In my view, managing a parish day to day is not absolutely necessary for a pastor; a qualified layperson could do that.

      Delete
    6. Saint Nicholas is very alive in the Orthodox tradition. Our local Orthodox parish is named after him. They celebrate his feast on the Sunday closest to December 6th, his actual feast day according to the new (Western) calendar.

      According the Wikipedia a lot of European countries celebrate December5/6 with gift giving. It really isn't a secular holiday like Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Four of July and Labor Day. It is a Christian Saint's Day.

      Delete
    7. Jim, I am with you on flags on the altar. Maybe there ought to be a whole thread on mindless patriotism. A wise pastor years ago erected three very tall flagpoles outside church, one for USA, one for the great state of Florida and one for the Vatican. When he was asked why there wasn't a flag on the altar, he would look incredulous that the asker hadn't noticed it on the way in. Then along came a pastor, FBI (foreign-born Irish), and he didn't notice the flagpoles and stuck a U.S. flag on one side and a Vatican flag on the other side of he altar. He got huzzahs from he crowd that comes to church in flag-colored tee shirts, and it would be worth a pastor's life to try to get them out of there....

      ...Where they didn't belong even before the president started inviting war criminals to his taxpayer-supported home in Palm Beach.

      Delete
    8. The parish where I grew up had a Vatican flag on one side, and an American flag on the other. When they built the new church, in 1960, the flags didn't come over. Our parish church where we are now still has the flags. Its date of dedication was 1917. Maybe you have to build a new church to lose the flags. It seems like the flags were just sort of a backdrop, but now with amped up nationalism, they've morphed into something else. I'm speaking primarily of the American flag. As Tom said, it would be worth the pastor's life to move it somewhere else. I think the social hall would be a good place. But it has become a sort of sacramental.

      Delete
    9. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I met one of our deacons yesterday at the bakery, and he complained about the materialistic aspects of Christmas taking over. What struck me was that his primary complaint was about the food. Why do we have to buy or make so much stuff to eat? It's ridiculous, he said. His hope was that post-Christmas, they would have soup only for a few days.

    Here we had a hectic schedule (involving my driving to the airport 4 times -- each time the round-trip takes basically half a day) made more complicated by bouts of sickness -- colds, bronchitis, or stomach problems, everyone was sick at least one day. On Sunday evening at Mass I was in charge of distributing the collection baskets and reading the prayer of the faithful. Because on that day I had already gone to the airport, cooked a big meal, had a family meal, and was feeling sick myself, I arrived late. The sacristan told me not to worry, he'd taken care of everything, and he offered me some tea. I spent Mass sipping tea in the sacristy, feeling grateful that someone was taking care of me after a day of running around.

    Yes, Christmas is excessive. We need to make it simpler. I am thinking of suggesting skipping presents now that almost everyone has reached adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your story, but hope you are feeling better, Claire! I said a prayer for your sacristan and hope that, like him, we can rise above the hustle and bustle of a busy season to see to the needs of others. We gave up gifts many years ago, and the meals have been considerably simplified. It makes the holiday quieter, more reflective, and there is less emotional let-down when the whole thing is over.

      Delete
    2. Claire, I am in agreement with your deacon at the bakery. The food is too much! I don't think there is anything wrong with an occasional feast, but the preparation (and to some extent the clean-up) stresses me out. It is so time-consuming.

      And his wish for soup is right on! We had split pea soup for dinner yesterday, made with the Christmas ham bone. And we've been nibbling on the other leftovers for our lunches. That is a good food outcome, I guess.

      We also bake. My wife makes these kolackys (sp? pronounced "kolahtchkyes") that are wonderful. And we bake other cookies, too. But now that the kids are grown, we're rethinking that activity, too. I'm sort of reaching the point of saying, You want to eat 'em, you bake 'em.

      Delete
  5. Yikes! to Jim's Christmas duties...

    Does anyone think that this is what the liturgical reforms intended...? Or that we, as in this example, see a liturgy ever more clericalized...not that I object to clergy...only that with fewer we seem to be clericalizing everyone else, deacons, musicians, and lay people willing to take responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes, I don't think the liturgical reforms envisioned the shortage of priests, at least not to the extent that we are all now experiencing. I think there was some talk at VII about shortages of priests in the so-called mission lands (i.e. outside of Europe).

      To some extent the liturgical reforms, in theory and in practice, de-clericalized the liturgy. Laypersons (including women) now proclaim the readings, and laypersons (including women) now distribute communion. The spirit of this is that there are liturgical offices for laypersons, and laypersons can and should do them according to whatever gifts they have.

      Maybe it could be argued that music has become more clericalized, in the sense that there is a clerisy (made up mostly of laypersons) that is in charge of liturgical music. I think (and hope) that it's more accurate to say that it's been professionalized. I don't think professionalized need equate to clericalized. My own opinion is that a typical American parish benefits from a professional director of music (and a professional director of religious education, and perhaps some other professional roles as well). If I may say so, I don't approve of the arrangement that Katherine described at her parish, in which nobody (apart from the pastor) has professional oversight of the music for worship, and each mass has its own autonomous group, presumably led by amateur volunteers. Some amateurs are gifted, but in my view there is no substitute for the training and competence of a true professional.

      Margaret, your comment about the liturgical reform led me to go back and take a look at some of the major liturgical documents to see what they recommend about a music director. VII's Constitution on Sacred Liturgy has virtually nothing to say about the role, although it has a few things to say about choirs, diocesan leadership and qualified instructors in seminaries. Musicam Sacram, the 1967 post-conciliar document issued by the Consilium charged with implementing the liturgical reform, was similarly silent on the role of music director. Either the Council Fathers made the unstated assumption that choirs would be competently led; or they were not sufficiently knowledgeable of how liturgical music comes together to recognize the indispensable role of competent leadership. (I fear it was the latter).

      By the time the US bishops issued "Sing to the Lord", a decade or so ago, there was an entire section on the importance of a professional director of music ministries. I would like to think that the church hierarchy, in the course of the several decades of the reform, has learned through experience that a professional director makes a big difference.

      (I have strong opinions on the importance of a professional director because I'm acutely aware that I am not one, although I have a lot of years of experience in leading ensembles. I really appreciate having a professional leader to provide direction and oversight.)

      Delete
    2. Jim, about our parish having no professional oversight of the music, we are the smallest (and poorest) of the three parishes in town. We joke that St. B's is old money, St. I's is new money, and St. Anthony's (that's us) is no money. St. I's and St. B's do have professional musician/liturgy coordinators with degrees and all that good stuff. And word reaches our ears that they perpetually have some kind of bicker going on because someone feels disrespected. Because herding musicians is like herding cats. We have occasionally picked up singers or instrument players from them because they prefer the more laid back environment over at St. Anthony's. My personal theory is that professional coordinators feel that they have to be seen to be earning their paycheck, so they boss everybody around. Which isn't to say that our choir leaders don't insist on practicing and doing a good job. But we're careful not to step on one another's toes, because we just barely have enough musicians and singers to cover the bases, and we don't need anyone bailing out.

      Delete
    3. We have a lawyer who voluntarily plays a guitar. He is a lovely man, but the music is dreadful.

      I have no idea who picks out the hymns at the local parish, and it doesn't matter what they are because they all sound like dirges.

      Delete
    4. What kind of music a parish has depends on their resources. I am speaking here of "human" resources rather than monetary. Some of our musicians are better than others, and I always reply to the ones critiqing them that it takes courage to do it in the first place. Especially with the younger ones they need experience to get expertise and there's only one way they're going to get it. We're all a work in progress and we're doing it for the glory of God, even if we're not quite prime time.

      Delete
    5. I expect that Jesus Christ loves bad but sincere church musicians. I'm not Jesus. The effect is utterly depressing and spirit-killing. It would be better if we had no music.

      Delete
    6. "No music" can be a valid option. Somwtimes I like the quiet, low key, daily Masses the best.

      Delete
    7. Yes, Jean. I've heard lovely hymns turned into dirges. You can just hear the organist squashing out the chords.

      Delete
  6. My Christmas was very simple and at home with my mother. My mother can no longer make the trip to the Philadelphia area to the family thing anymore. It's not sickness but the slow ongoing attenuation of energy. She sleeps almost all the time now. But, at least, she made it to another Christmas. My neighbor Cindy shared her food with us and I had two glasses of wine when I picked it up. Her husband is a colon and you-know-what surgeon and I take all my scope business to him. Doctor is part African-american and the wife is Nisei. The kids are nice earthling doctors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stanley, your mother is fortunate to have such a good son. I'm trying to appreciate the gift of having my parents still living. I worry about them.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jim. Trying to do what's best. Thank God I have a good caregiver now. Couldn't handle this without her.

      Delete
    3. It's not easy to parent one's parent. I'm just grateful that I have a brother and a sister who live near Dad. What you say about the attenuation of energy is true of him.

      Delete
    4. I can speak to the attenuation of energy! I am glad that one of the few things I did right as a caregiver was not hectoring my parents to "make more of an effort," something I often hear people dealing with elders complain about. Just getting up and dressed is as much effort as they can make some days. They feel guilty enough for it without the nagging.

      Delete
    5. Stanley, did you get a chance to listen to any Polish carols this year? I thought of you tonight, it was our Kolendy Mass. I'd have been disappointed if they hadn't had this one, Ej, Bylismy Bracia for an exit hymn.

      Delete
    6. Wow. That's a new one on me. Katherine. Yes. I played some youtubes and had headphones on my mother. She was singing along weakly but she was singing.

      Delete
  7. Back to Jim: Are you surprised how much your role as deacon has made you a "priest." I know deacons are part of Orders, but I remember a time when enthusiasm for becoming a deacon among some I knew was focused less on clergy responsibilities than on "secular" responsibilities.... education, social justice, organizing albeit within the parish or diocesan compass. As you say the shortage has skewed deacons toward sacerdotal roles...Is that what you expected. Is it a good thing (except for keeping Masses or Mass-like liturgies available)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, really interesting questions! My sense is that many of outposts of Catholicism in rural America will have married priests de facto as deacons take on more pastoral duties in the absence of priests ... and as people find their deacons less remote and more understanding of some aspects of family life. Can you make a new post so your topic doesn't get lost?

      Delete