Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Another wedding report



As I reported here at NewGathering, last month I attended a wedding at which the bride and groom custom-designed the ceremony.  I attended another wedding this past weekend, and the approach was different - to say the least.

If you happened to read that earlier post, in which I described (and critiqued - gently, I hope) the  ceremony that was designed by the young bride and groom, you may have inferred that my baseline for a wedding ceremony is the Rite of Marriage within the Roman Missal.  That's the rite that was used for my own wedding, and it's the rite I use when I preside at a wedding.  At the vast majority of Catholic parishes these days, that version of the rite will be the only one on offer.

The wedding I attended this most recent weekend certainly was Catholic; there are those who would consider it really Catholic.  For that matter, there are some few who would say it's more Catholic than the rite under which I was wed.  In short: this one was a Latin wedding.

And when I say Latin, I don't mean the contemporary vernacular rite with a little Latin sprinkled in.  I mean the whole Dominus Vobiscum - it was straight out of the pre-Vatican II missal.   While I was not present for my parents' wedding day in 1959, it's probable that what I witnessed this past weekend was identical, word for word, to what my parents experienced on their special day.

Who would wish to get married that way, these days?  The bride is a friend of ours - someone with whom I collaborate a bit in ministry.  I don't know her exact age, but I assume she's probably a bit younger than my wife and me; I'd say she's somewhere in her 40s.  It always has seemed fair to describe her as a conservative Catholic; but to the best of my knowledge, her Latin mass enthusiasm is pretty recent.  I don't really know the groom at all: I met him for the first time at the reception hall after the wedding, so I don't know whether he is a long-time fan of the so-called "extraordinary form".

Interestingly, the wedding invitation said nothing about the ceremony being in Latin.  My wife, who is more plugged into Facebook than I am, sussed out that it was to be in Latin.  This was newsworthy, not only on its own merits, but also in its impact on what to wear: she wasn't sure whether her head would have to be covered.  She doesn't own any head covering beyond winter hats.  I told her that, if women were expected to have their heads covered, the invitation would so state.  In the end, she attended without a covering, and so did the majority of women (although by no means all).

If one wishes to get married via the old Latin mass, one obvious and practical challenge is to identify a priest* who is willing and able to preside according to that version of the rite.  Both verbs (gerunds?) in that phrase "willing and able" are key.   I've never polled the priests of Chicago on the question, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many who'd be willing to do a Latin wedding, or any sort of Latin mass.  Our priests tend toward the progressive, and I don't think I've ever heard any of them express an affinity for the old Latin style of worship.  And as for "able": the number of priests still alive who were trained in the old mass are relatively few.

The notable exceptions are the members of religious orders whose charism includes the Latin mass.  A handful of these orders are established in Chicago.  We even have a home-grown order: the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius.  I don't know a ton about them, but I have observed them in (liturgical) action once before.  They are based at St. John Cantius Parish, an old (probably historically old) and jaw-droppingly beautiful parish on the near North Side of Chicago.  Unlike some Latin Mass faith communities, St. John Cantius doesn't do the Latin mass exclusively and doesn't  cater solely to the Latin mass crowd.  Their Sunday schedule includes at least one English, "ordinary form" mass each Sunday, and my overall impression is that the parish tries to strike a balance between neighborhood, territorial parish and magnet parish for the Latin mass.  The Canons Regular came about because a large number of young and middle-age single men were attracted to priestly life by attending the Latin mass at the parish.  I may be using the wrong nomenclature in describing them as a religious order: canons, which aren't much known anymore in Roman Catholicism but have a long and eminent history, are sort of their own species; I believe that many cathedrals used to have chapters of canons.  Among other things, the Canons Regular are bound to the parish campus grounds; I read once that they cannot leave without the permission of their superior.

The wedding I attended was not at St. John Cantius, but in an exurban parish church in Volo, IL that has become a sort of satellite location for the Canons Regular.  As at St. John Cantius, St. Peter in Volo offers both English and Latin mass each Sunday.  Volo is a town that goes back to the 19th century when it was tiny, rural and isolated.  The church is of that vintage, even though the town itself has transformed into a suburb with many tracts of subdivisions springing up in former farm fields.  The church building is quite small - the size and scale of a parish church that one is likely to find in small rural towns.  The wedding party filled the church, which I think is nice - better than the typical wedding at our parish, which seats something like 800 people.

I should preface what I'm about to say about the ceremony by explaining that I'm sufficiently young that I have no personal background at all in worshiping in Latin.  When I was in elementary school and had become an altar boy, the mass already had changed to English, the altar was standing in the middle of the sanctuary, the priest was facing the people, English hymnals were appearing in pews, and so on.  So any time I find myself worshiping in Latin, it has no personal resonance for me.  It's exotic, and kind of a historical curiosity.

The celebrant for this ceremony (actually two ceremonies, I think: a wedding and a mass - see below) was one of the Canons Regular.  As this was all according to the prescriptions of the old rite, there were no readers or cantors.  There were two altar servers.  One was adult-size and wearing clerical vesture of some sort; I assume he was a Canon in formation.  The other was a kid who looked to be in 5th or 6th grade, dressed in a cassock and surplice.  But let me tell you: that kid was no slouch at serving the Latin mass.    I mentioned above that I had attended a Latin mass once before, at St. John Cantius.  That time, the two servers were adults (probably Canon seminarians).  What made an impression on me that time was their precision: they kept their hands folded in exactly the same way at exactly the same height; they walked in lockstep; they turned and kneeled in perfect unison.  It was like a ceremonial dance with highly trained dancers.  At this wedding, the kid was every bit as good as the adult at all this stuff.  I can only think that he's worked hard at it.

The music was sung, not by the congregation, but rather by a female schola, whom I later learned were high school girls, friends of the bride's daughter.  They were excellent - high school singers, especially girls, can have clear, pure voices because they're too young to have picked up bad singing habits.  They chanted, a capella, the Missa de Angelis, Mass VIII in the old missal (don't think I'm showing off; the wedding program mentioned this, or I wouldn't have known what it was).  The girls were in the choir loft, and as we were sitting near the back, they were invisible to us, so the effect was of this ethereal, beautiful chant floating down from above and filling the church.  The aesthetic effect was heightened by the statues, stained glass windows and other old, ornamental touches of the space.

One thing immediately struck me, and it was something I hadn't realized before: the way the Latin mass does weddings, the wedding isn't actually a part of the mass.  It's its own rite, which takes place before mass begins.  Some of it was in English and some of it was in Latin.

We were given worship aids with the Latin on one side and the English on the other.  I was grateful, because I was interested in the theology and spirituality of the old form.  Here is one of the prayers that appears in the old marriage rite - I suppose this would be the nuptial blessing, as it was after the vows.  I don't know to what extent it would pass muster with contemporary sensibilities - I suppose the temptation to edit and revise it would be impossible for a lot of people to resist:
Let us pray. Be gracious, O Lord, to our humble supplications: and graciously assist this Thine institution, which Thou hast established for the increase of mankind: that what is joined together by Thine authority, may be preserved by Thine aid. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee..,O God, who by Thine own mighty power, didst make all things out of nothing: who, having set in order the beginnings of the world, didst appoint Woman to be an inseparable helpmeet to Man, made like unto God, so that Thou didst give to woman’s body its beginnings in man’s flesh, thereby teaching that what it pleased Thee to form from one substance, might never be lawfully separated: O God, who, by so excellent a mystery hast consecrated the union of man and wife, as to foreshadow in this nuptial bond the union of Christ with His Church: O God, by whom Woman is joined to Man, and the partnership, ordained from the beginning, is endowed with such blessing that it alone was not withdrawn either by the punishment of original sin, nor by the sentence of the flood: graciously look upon this Thy handmaid, who, about to be joined in wedlock, seeks Thy defense and protection. May it be to her a yoke of love and peace: faithful and chaste, may she be wedded in Christ, and let her ever be the imitator of holy women: let her be dear to her husband, like Rachel: wise, like Rebecca: long-lived and faithful like Sara. Let not the author of deceit work any of his evil deeds in her. May she continue, clinging to the faith and to the commandments. Bound in one union, let her shun all unlawful contact. Let her protect her weakness by the strength of discipline; let her be grave in behavior, respected for modesty, well-instructed in heavenly doctrine. Let her be fruitful in offspring; be approved and innocent; and come to the repose of the blessed and the kingdom of heaven. May they both see their children’s children to the third and fourth generation, and may they reach the old age which they desire. Through the same Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth…
After this, the mass itself began. From that point to the end, virtually all was in Latin - and for the Mass of the Faithful (I think it was called - what today we would call the Liturgy of the Eucharist), the priest turned around and muttered it all with his back to us.  It made me feel that I was watching something with the volume turned down too low.

If last month's wedding was self-constructed, this one was, ritually speaking, perhaps at the other end of the spectrum.  Yet one of the elements from last month's conversation about the nature of ritual was pertinent to this past weekend's experience: to enter into ritual, one has to be initiated into it.  I mentioned, in that prior conversation, that even for Catholic ritual celebrations such as baptisms and funerals, many of the attendees aren't well-formed in the ritual.  Well, that was what I experienced as a pew-sitter (or -kneeler) at this ceremony.  I didn't know the responses, wasn't familiar with the rite, couldn't figure out where we were in the book, didn't know if I should kneel or stand at a particular time.  I'm Catholic, but for this ceremony, I was pretty much a visitor.

I guess, if I criticized last month's couple (and I did) for doing things their own way rather than according to the community's wishes, then this month's couple seems fair game for the same observation.  But this was what they wanted, and the contemporary Zeitgeist is to have one's wedding as one wants it.  I am very glad to have been there, but I wasn't really able to join in as I'd normally do.

* Could a deacon do a wedding according to the old Latin rite?  I don't know the answer.  To my mind, it's a legal question.  Here's how I would think about it: there are two ways of being a deacon: a permanent deacon, like me; or a transitional deacon, i.e. one who is ordained a deacon while training for the priesthood.  At the time the old Latin mass was normative, there were no permanent deacons in the Roman Catholic church (or if there were any, there were only a handful worldwide and they were very exceptional); the permanent diaconate wasn't restored until Vatican II authorized it in the early-mid 60s.  So the question is: was a transitional deacon given faculties, or otherwise empowered, to preside at a wedding in those days?  As I say, I don't know the answer.  I can say with certainty that diocesan permanent deacons aren't trained to preside at a wedding according to the old Latin rite. Some religious orders also have permanent deacons, perhaps including religious orders, like the one I mention in this post, that are devoted to celebrating the old Latin mass.  Could those deacons (if there are any such) preside at an old Latin wedding?  Beats me.

32 comments:

  1. * Could a deacon do a wedding according to the old Latin rite? Probably not unless there was some provision for them to do it in the old Latin rite. That is unlikely since there were only transitional deacons. Questions of applying the new rules to the old Mass have arisen, and the answer has been "no."

    Of course you could do the new rite in Latin.

    Jim, I have seen baptisms done by deacons within the Mass celebrated by a priest. Do you do marriages within a Mass celebrated by a priest. Or do you do marriages without a Mass, e.g. cases of mixed marriages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack - regarding weddings: the rule of thumb at a lot of parishes around here is: if both of the spouses-to-be are Catholic, then they usually want a wedding mass, which would be presided over by a priest. It would be unusual for a deacon to be included in one of those ceremonies - the exception would be if the deacon is a relative or friend of the couple. Until a couple of years ago, we had a deacon at our parish who, with his wife, ran the RCIA program. He developed close relationships with a lot of couples planning to be married (that being a common profile for RCIA), and a number of those couples asked him to be part of their weddings.

      On the other hand, if the couple is a "mixed couple" of some sort (i.e. one spouse Catholic, the other not Catholic), many parishes around here steer them toward the standalone rite of marriage, without a mass. A priest *could* do those, and sometimes they do, but if the parish has deacons, the deacons often are the default choice for them. This is practical for a number of reasons: oftentimes, the couple themselves are not particularly "churched" and the shorter standalone rite appeals to them; and it relieves the priests (who are in short supply, and are already burdened with many masses, funerals and other obligations) of having another wedding on the calendar. And it "solves" the awkward question of communion in a setting in which half the attendees aren't Catholic, by ensuring that communion isn't offered to anyone. Fwiw, at this Latin wedding I blogged about, the priest did explain the communion rules to attendees; I wish I had recorded what he said, because he handled it about as well as it can be handled.

      I've probably mentioned this before: at our parish, the deacons do very few weddings. I've averaged fewer than one per year since ordination. I think the main reason is that mixed-marriage couples are opting more and more to get married outside of the church (or so it seems to me). For weddings in which one or both of the spouses are active Catholics, they usually seem to want a mass. And I'm surprised, in this age of the priest shortage, how many families in our parish have an uncle or cousin who is a priest; an unexpected number of couples import their own priest for the occasion.

      Delete
  2. What made an impression on me that time was their precision: they kept their hands folded in exactly the same way at exactly the same height; they walked in lockstep; they turned and kneeled in perfect unison. It was like a ceremonial dance with highly trained dancers. At this wedding, the kid was every bit as good as the adult at all this stuff. I can only think that he's worked hard at it.

    This is how I was trained to do the old Mass. Of course, there were some servers who did it rather ineptly. But if you learned to do it correctly, you could end up doing it gracefully. It kind of like music. First you learn to sing the correct notes with the correct timing. It ends up rather mechanical, but eventually becomes graceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, my dad, who is in his 80s, also was trained as you describe. He sort of laughed at me when I became an altar boy in the 1970s, because it was so much easier for me than it was for him. I didn't have to learn any responses, and there was a lot less for me to do. And nobody sweated if I happened to kneel down a half second after the other kid.

      He knew all this very well already; our parish where I grew up used adult servers for Sunday masses, and he was among them. So he served both for the old and the new mass. He was just teasing me :-)

      He also talked about bells that were rung, or played, by the server - it wasn't just shaking the little bells at the consecration (which I also did as an altar boy - I remembered to do it about half the time), but he said there were buttons, I think three of them, that were pushed to play a little melody, maybe like C - E - G. I'll have to ask him what that was all about.

      Delete
    2. Our servers still ring the bells at the consecration. Some of them realy, really like to ring those bells. But we don't worry about them being the same height. And half of them are girls, which is probably a no-no for the EF. There was some kind of a kerfluffle a few years back about a cassock and surplice beibg a "clerical" attire, and the girls shouldn't wear them. So the servers all started wearing albs, which I guess don't have clerical connotations. And the adult lectors and EMHCs started wearing albs too. Most of us in those ministries think they are a nuisance and are trying to get Father to 86 them.

      Delete
    3. Yep, anyone who is baptized may wear an alb. The baptismal garment used in infant baptisms is actually an alb, and I believe the custom of dressing the infant in a white baptismal gown or outfit hearkens to the alb. And the pall at funerals is supposed to hearien to the alb as well. Katherine, I know you know all that already, just mentioning these things in case there is anyone else who finds it of interest.

      I haven't belonged to a parish that dressed the altar servers in a cassock and surplice since the mid-70s. Ours wear an alb, a cross around the neck, and a cincture (now colored to match the liturgical season) around the waist. Oh, and if they wear sneakers, sandals or flip-flops, our local band of Church Ladies goes on the warpath.

      Delete
    4. Our adult K of C servers, who typically serve funerals, wear cassocks and surplices. Rather classy linen surplices with lace insets at the hem. I guess someone donated memorial money to buy them.
      With the kids, we are just glad when they show up when they are scheduled. There are some church ladies who don't like sneakers and sandals, but too bad.

      Delete
    5. Katherine, thanks for that photo. That wasn't how I pictured a mantilla - this is:

      https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/30/75/f03075150dd4db1614e5b2226f362e67.jpg

      Delete
    6. Jim, yeah, that would be your Spanish aristocrat kind. For us USA peons it was just more or less a piece of lace.

      Delete
    7. If you dig around on the internet there is some rather creepy "Christian veiling" stuff out there. For Catholics is is faux-traditional, borrowing more from Protestant fudamenentalism than Catholic tradition. For us it was just a custom that was a gesture of respect in church. The Christian veiling thing seems to be (IMO) related to a toxic modesty and feminine submission zeitgeist.

      Delete
    8. "Zeitgeist", I shouldn't try to use German words. What I really meant to say was "a toxic modesty and feminine submission vibe".

      Delete
  3. I well remember the old Latin Mass. I am happy to be worshipping in the Novus Ordo version. My impression is that the old Latin Mass that I remember from back in the day and the one that these specialty parishes do now are two different things with two different purposes. Oh they have the same rite and the same words. But the ones now are this aesthetic and ethereal experience for the congregants that the old version never was, at least in our parish. It was just Mass, with the Latin mumbled with an Irish brogue by our old monsignor. We might have a high Mass for Easter and Christmas. Our daily school Masses were a Dialogue Mass; the nuns taught the kids the kids the Latin responses. I could probably still say them. I haven't heard that the EF Masses now are dialogue style, I think that was kind of a thing leading up to VII. I'm sure the wedding was lovely. But weddings are theater, and IMO so are these EF reenactments. Maybe I'm being cynical.
    About head coverings, I hear that veils or mantillas are a thing in the Latin Mass churches. What I remember from the '50s are hats. My mom and grandma wore hats to church. No one wore mantillas (unless you were in a Hispanic area) until the '60s when Jackie Kennedy started the trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - in Chicago we called those "babushkas". Even someone as beautiful as Jackie Kennedy had a hard time looking attractive in them :-). I thought the mantillas had a little more structure to them? The babushkas are more like scarves that wrap over the hair and fasten or knot under the chin.

      Delete
    2. Oh, we had the babushkas too. Especially on a windy day. The mantillas were lace, a bit more lightweight, and you didn't tie them. You secured them by a bobby pin at the top of your head, or if you were being fancy, an ornamental comb. I still have one in a dresser drawer somewhere. Regret to say I had a Barbie pink one in high school. It was a few years after VII before the bare-headed look took over.

      Delete
    3. Not to take a swipe at our Muslim sisters, or anything, but I'm really, really glad we don't have to wear hijabs. They look even less attractive than the old fashioned nun outfits. Of course maybe that's the whole idea, might tempt the men.

      Delete
    4. My hair is gray, thinning, and ugly, and I look horrible. I'd be happy to wear a hijab! Or a veil!

      Delete
    5. Jean, there are many Muslims living and working in this area. When still working I debated about buying a hijab - for those bad hair days. But it seemed to me that it might come across as disrespectful. Even though I often encounter light complexioned, light eyed Muslim women, so maybe not raise eyebrows.

      Orthodox Jewish women cover their hair after marriage. In Islam, head coverings are apparently associated with female sexuality, which is why little girls don't have to wear head coverings. With the Orthodox Jewish women I see, it's usually partial - a sort of small scarf that doesn't cover all the hair ( at least not around my neck of the woods). Maybe what you all are calling a babushka.

      Ivanka is often described in the press as being an "orthodox " Jew but, given their party going in DC on Friday nights, evening gowns and no headcover, I'm guessing that's not a technically correct description of the form of Judaism she and her husband practice.

      Photo of the Trumps with the Pope. Female heads covered. Sort of, with Ivanka. Everyone except the orange man looks like they are at a funeral. Especially Francis.

      https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/24/donald-trump-vatican-meeting-pope-francis



      Delete
    6. That photo is hilarious. Vampire Women Visit Pope.

      Delete
    7. Anne - that photo is very funny :-)

      I think it's interesting that you'd consider wearing a hijab, inasmuch as it's associated so strongly with Muslim identity.

      I think you'd end up having a lot of interesting conversations :-). On the one hand, overreaching Christians, and overreaching secularists of the type William Barr criticized in another thread, have tried to ban them in some places. On the other hand, some strict Islamic governments require women to wear them.

      Delete
    8. I think someone mentioned religious sisters and nuns already. It did strike me recently how similarly some women's religious headwear resemble hijabs. I guess the custom of religious women covering their heads is rooted at least in part on the biblical injunctions that Tom already wrote about. But I don't think St. Paul invented those rules out of, er, whole cloth: they surely were rooted in practices that prevailed at his time. And I'm wondering whether, more generally, women religious head coverings in the Christian West were borrowed from customs that prevailed in the Christian East.

      Delete
  4. Jack and I are probably in the 2 percent who can still remember the Latin Mass in full flower. I may have an advantage on Jack in numbers because Tom McRaith and I were "chosen" to do all the weekday Masses between our graduation from grade school and the sisters' ability to train up some new eighth-graders in the fall. (We also used to count the money on Sunday -- for which we were tipped, $1 from the pastor, $5 from the assistant pastors). Our church had five keys, like the black keys on a piano, built into the riser of altar step above the one which we knelt, and we used the keys to "play" the bells. All five were necessary only at Benediction. Tom and I were the last servers allowed to use them because the new kids couldn't get the hang of them. The new kids got hand bells.

    I have to say this about the Latin Mass: A lot of the priests never came close to pronouncing it in a way that any nearby Latin speaker would understand it. A few words in the beginning, a long mumble and then, loudly, "per omnia saecula saeculorum" to wake everybody up to say "Amen." One of the priests of this diocese, who never had a course in Latin, does Latin Masses which are perfectly lovely to his hearers, although I can't believe anyone there, including the presider, knows what he is going on about. There was some pushback from the altar when the earliest missals for pew dwellers, with Latin and English translation came out. Some priests thought it was "improper." I suspect they didn't want us to be able to check up on what they left out of their mumbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a missal from those days. When I look up the words of the mass (English/Latin, side by side) the Latin comes back readily. I was trained in the early 1950s and had to move fast. As a new altar boy, I "drew" the 6 or 7 am mass. The priest limited it to 20 minutes, and God help those of us who slowed him down. Do I miss those days? Would I miss a social disease?

      Delete
    2. I served Mass starting in the late 50's. I remember the Rosetta Stone mass cards. Enjoyed the Latin Mass totally back then. Wouldn't attend a Latin Mass today if you paid me.

      Delete
  5. Why would women need a head covering for a Latin Mass but not a vernacular one?

    I remember friends giving me a "chapel cap" when I went to Mass with them as a kid. They were like cheesy white or black nylon doilies, and most Catholic families kept a stack of them in the coat closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if we forgot the chapel cap, we pinned a hankie or kleenex to our hair.

      Delete
    2. The head covering goes all the way back to Paul in 1 Cor. And Sarah Rudin (who knows a whole lot of things male exegetes could never imagine) points out that in Paul's day, head covering was a touchy issue. You couldn't cover your head if you were in the trades, for example if you were or had been a prostitute, of which the early Church seemed to have many. The veil was a "symbol of authority," and lack of one might have, as Rudin says, "galled" them. So Paul's strictures about women covering their head may have been a blow for equality!

      (Rudin also points out that Paul blasted men who consorted with ladies of ill repute, but he never tut-tutted the ladies.)

      But, as usual, the boys running the place, got it wrong and enforced it for centuries.

      Delete
    3. Yah, yah, I know where head coverings came from, but why would it be de rigeur to wear one now to a Latin Mass vs. a vernacular one? A Mass is a Mass. I'm stymied about why this would put Mrs. Pauwels in a quandary.

      Yeah, the emergency Kleenex. Jeez Louise.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, we didn't know, either, whether it was/is de rigeur, and still don't. My wife doesn't exactly obsess over every jot and tittle of canon law, but understandably, she wouldn't want to be the only woman there without a head covering if there are 99 others who have them.

      Delete
    5. I didn't know about the origins of head covering. Thanks, Tom, for biblical studies for dummies.

      Delete
    6. Jean: preferably clean Kleenex. But, in a pinch ……..

      Delete
  6. There's a parish in Oakland, CA … St. Margaret Mary … when the picture from above represents the norm. A few years back they had a sign out front advertising "St. Margaret Mary Roman Catholic Church." As if anyone might have mistaken them for a Baptist or LDS church!!!!

    ReplyDelete