Friday, August 2, 2019

Lindsey at Napa

Conservative faith and politics amid the Zin and cigar fumes.

Over at National Catholic Reporter, Dan Morris-Young has a readable and evocative news story on the ninth annual Napa Institute conference.  Before getting to the specifics, it's helpful to understand what the Napa Institute is.  Morris-Young refers us to an NCR story five years ago that described the Institute as
a remarkable mix of religious retreat, networking opportunity, strategy session, wine-tasting vacation, immersion catechetics, pep rally and keyhole glimpse at the U.S. traditionalist Catholic superstructure.
In this week's article, he adds,
The event is staged at the luxury Meritage Resort and Spa in Napa, which is part of the Irvine, California-based Pacific Hospitality Group  of which Napa Institute co-founder Tim Busch is founder and CEO.  
Morris-Young's article largely bears out that 2014 description.  As regards the politics, he highlights a keynote address given by Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who is not Catholic but is conservative:
Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina delivered an entertaining appeal for the reelection of President Donald Trump, despite "chaos" in the administration at times.
Graham, who lost the 2016 Republican presidential nomination to Trump, said he and Trump "got off to a rotten start," and admitted that he once "hated his guts."
But now, the Southern Baptist said about the president, "I like what he does, not necessarily the way he does it." 
"God works in mysterious ways," Graham said, and was drowned out by laughter before he could finish the sentence. "If you had told me in 2016 that Donald Trump would be the leader of the evangelical movement. …"
"When you back away," Graham added, Trump "has been a hell of a good president for all the things that matter," despite "chaos" at times generated at the White House.
A sustained, standing ovation followed Graham's keynote, which he concluded by saying, "Let's kick their asses in 2020."
So much for the politics.  As for religion: there was some of that content, too. 
This July's Institute theme was "This Catholic Moment: Authentic Faith in Times of Crisis."
"This is a time of crisis and cleansing for the church. … There has probably been more cleansing in the last year than in the past 25," Busch said, calling on the standing-room-only crowd to "not tolerate the dictatorship of clericalism."
The "antibiotic" to hierarchical leadership lapses, he said, "is really the laity" who have been called by the Second Vatican Council to "engagement and empowerment" and to "our seat at the table."
And there was an institutional Church presence:
Notable was the number of participants in clerics, cassocks, robes and habits. Clerics and religious were given a 50% discount on the Napa Institute's $2,600 registration fee. Many also relied on scholarships.
Bishops attended at no cost. More than a dozen were present, including Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput, the "ecclesiastical adviser" to the Napa board of directors.
The group's eight-prelate Ecclesiastical Advisory Board includes four from California: San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone, Oakland Bishop Michael Barber, Santa Rosa Bishop Robert Vasa, and Los Angeles Archbishop José Gomez. Of the four, all but Gomez, who is president of the U.S. bishops' conference, attended. 
Notable among the episcopal delegation was Cardinal Raymond Burke, often described as a vociferous critic of Francis (although he might dispute that characterization).  Burke gave one of the conference's keynote addresses, and also received the Institute's Award for Apostolic Zeal.

Naturally, as at any large conference gathering, much that is significant and enjoyable takes place outside the meeting rooms:
In July 25 opening remarks, Busch told attendees that "more than 100 mergers and alliances" of lay apostolates have been stimulated through networking and new relationships at the conferences.
He and others say fruitful exchanges along these lines often take place during the post-9 p.m. "In Vino Veritas" cigar receptions.
There is a good deal more in Morris-Young's article, and I recommend all of it.

I subscribed to National Catholic Reporter for a few years, and receive one of their e-newsletters today (in fact, that's how I came across this article), so I believe I understand the paper's editorial stance.  In addition, speaking as one who has read their letters to the editor over the years, and who also works closely with lay parish employees, most of whom lean progressive, I also believe I understand NCR's readership.  I get that this conference, as reported here by Morris-Young (quite objectively and well, it seems to me), would not be congenial to most of NCR readers.  In fact, I expect that quite a bit of this detail, certainly including keynote slots for Cardinal Burke and Lindsey Graham(!), would cause some hair to stand on end, or would result in computer screens being flecked with rage-spittle. 

I get that.  All that said: I think I would enjoy this event - probably, very much.  I like wine.  I used to enjoy cigars; I have a pulmonary issue now that would make it pretty foolish of me to smoke one, even if I don't inhale (which I don't think you're supposed to do with cigars in any case), but I don't mind being around them, if it's not too long.  I would enjoy hearing Lindsey Graham, George Weigel and other notable conservative speakers.  I'd enjoy hobnobbing with any other deacons who happened to show up.  To be sure, the registration fee is a little out of my price range (but maybe after the kids are done with college ...).  I'd be surprised if I agreed with everything I heard, both in the conference hall and the tasting room.  But that's okay.  The church is very large, and a tent broad enough to accommodate all its members must be wide indeed.  It's good for all of us, I expect, to expose ourselves to ideas that challenge us and get us a bit out of our comfort zone.  That's one of the reasons I hang out here.

Also: if the details provided in this article are representative, I would quibble with Morris-Young's use of the word traditionalist to describe this gathering.  These folks are conservative but not really traditionalist.  I would encourage Morris-Young to discover what real traditionalism looks like; it's to the right of these doings.

And Busch's opening remarks about clericalism fill me with hope - even more so in that a dozen or more bishops apparently were subjected to them.  On some issues, it may be that the church's divisions are more easily bridged than we expect.

13 comments:

  1. Jim, I don't begrudge them their fun, if that's what they like. I am on board with the Church being a big tent, and I hope they would extend the same courtesy to those of us of a more liberal bent. I used to be pretty conservative when I was young, but have changed over the years. I still am not what you would call "left". I think you are probably correct that these people aren't the hard core right wing. I think of that more being the sedevacantists and the Pius X Society.
    But they lost me when they mixed politics with it. What in the heck were they smoking in those pipes when Lindsey Graham said, "When you back away, Trump has been a hell of a good president for all the things that matter, despite "chaos" at times generated at the White House." I used to have a modicum of respect for Lindsey Graham, but I have long since lost it. He has done nothing but enable Trump's nonsense, as have most of the Republican party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In her reply to my post yesterday at 9:54 pm Anne Chapman did an excellent job of summarizing why Trump is not an "excellent president". To that list I would only add the cruelty and child abuse at the border which is a feature, not a bug, of his immigration policy. And how the Napa crowd can support that is beyond me.

      Delete
  2. My screen is not rage-spit flecked. I find it somewhat predictable that rich and powerful Catholics would gravitate to a swanky venue where they can feel comfy and self-congratulatory. It's even a bit amusing in a Thurston Howell type way.

    Really, Jim, do you really feel so out of your comfort zone here? Especially if your home parish leans left? You say this often, and I wonder what you read here that so outre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not *that* bad here :-). I will say that the political center here is not my center.

      I don't know to what extent my home parish leans left. It's suburban, so probably not very left :-). It's a good size (something like 3,000 registered families) so it's probably all over the map. If anything, it's kind of centerish-rightish. I will say, it has a strong bias toward service - a lot of teachers, a lot of nurses among its members. A lot of good kids, too - the kind that would give all of us hope for the world, I think.

      Delete
    2. As far as I can tell, most people here are pretty moderate and devout. Stanley and I seem to be the only ones who are pink around the edges.

      Delete
  3. Even though the Napa crowd aren't the St. Pius X Society, some of them tend to the raddy traddy side. I'm thinking of Cdl. Burke. Though I have to give him credit for distancing himself from Steve Bannon. I ran across a phrase, "boutique aesthetic", which describes the mindset pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, there are some that surmise that Burke's sudden break with Bannon is a self-protective move - since it is widely believed that he is a closeted gay.

      It is unlikely that he is truly unhappy with Bannon's support of right-wing white "christian" nationalism in Europe. Fear of public exposure does seem far more likely.

      From a story at America

      "I have been made aware of a June 24 LifeSiteNews online article -- now removed -- entitled 'Steve Bannon hints at making film exposing homosexuality in the Vatican,'

      https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2019/06/25/citing-alignment-steve-bannon-cardinal-burke-cuts-ties-dignitatis-humanae

      Delete
    2. The Italian town where Bannon wanted to build his kooky retreat and training center (so far right it fell off the edge), didn't want it and vetoed the plan. Good for them!

      Delete
  4. Oh, dear, Jim. Ready to make a Faustian bargain for a bit of wine and cigars at one of the most expensive resorts in Napa? And a chance to rub elbows with the rightest-of the right in the RCC and DC?

    You aren't a fan of Trump at least, so there is hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uniting politics and religion like uniting church and state is generally bad for religion. This is particularly true now that political divisions are much stronger than church divisions.

    The business world has over the past decades reshaped the Protestant world so that now there is very little criticism of the business world and much support for the wealthy. Many of our wealthy people are now out not just to court favor with bishops; they want to control them, and mute the strong historic Catholic support of unions and social justice.

    All those clergy discounts expect something in return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Uniting politics and religion like uniting church and state is generally bad for religion." I have long believed that to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone - I don't want to be put in the position of needing to defend the Napa Institute, for the very good reason that I know almost nothing about it, beyond what is reported in this article. But let me make one or two comments:

    To Jack's point about the dangers of intermixing religion and politics: I agree, at least somewhat. Naturally, there needs to be *some* points of contact between religion and politics, as we are expected to bring our morality, our consciences and so on to the civic work of governing ourselves. In Catholic teaching, this task belongs to the laity. My guess is that Tim Busch, the leader of the Napa Institute, sees his initiative as an example of a lay apostolate along these lines: looking to apply moral insights from Catholicism to the political situation in the US today. Conceptually, I'd have no more issue with this than I'd have with, say, rooting our views on immigration or gun control in the Catholic moral tradition.

    But that said: just because I think Busch *can* start up a lay apostolate, doesn't mean that *this particular* apostolate is the right approach. If the sessions consist of bishops presenting to conservative politicians (and maybe that is part of what takes place at the conference) - I'm fine with that. When it consists of Lindsey Graham giving a Trump campaign stump speech to the bishops - that's harder to defend. When it consists of bishops and senators enjoying wine and cigars together on a balmy California evening - maybe that's okay, but I'd say it's not a good look.

    Regarding Anne's comment that my enthusiasm for fellowship over wine and cigars is a Faustian bargain - I'd like to think I could get through a few days without putting my immortal soul in danger. But it could be a risk, and I'll just assume it was offered in the spirit of fraternal concern :-).

    ReplyDelete