Monday, March 11, 2019

Fasting From Television

Today is the first day of Lent for the Orthodox (as well as the Byzantine Catholics who use the Julian Calendar).  Last night at Vespers (which is the beginning of the liturgical day of Monday for those of the Byzantine tradition) the priest put aside his bright vestments toward the end of the service after announcing the beginning of Lent. At the end of Vespers he began the ceremony of mutual forgiveness by asking everyone in the congregation for forgiveness. Then each person in turn went up to embrace him and ask forgiveness of him, and then began forming a line at his right. The next person went up embraced the priest asking for forgiveness, then embraced the first person each asking each other for forgiveness, etc. During all this the choir sang the Easter Praises which like our Paschal Proclamation introduce their midnight Easter Liturgy. Those praises include the words "let us embrace each other, let us treat as brothers even those who hate us, for Christ has risen"

The Orthodox fast is very severe, almost a vegan diet.  I am glad to be a guest at their liturgies, I would not want to live their fast. However, in 2011, I proposed in a post on PrayTell blog that we fast from Television, perhaps something more difficult and more efficacious than fasting from food. Here is the post, after the break I have summarized its basic arguments without all the data.




1. Time more than food is our basic resource, the foundation of our lives.  Time studies comparing self-report with diaries have shown that we don’t have a good sense of how we use our time.

2. Research using time diaries has shown that over recent decades we have had increased leisure time because both paid and unpaid work time have decreased. The increased leisure has gone into watching television. In Bowling Alone, Robert Putnam attributed much of the decline in voluntary organizations to the advent of television.  Television (and now the internet) is readily available to fill ten minute to several hour slots without much more effort than clicking a button or a mouse.

3. In centuries past it made a lot of sense to fast from food. At that time food production, processing, and meal preparation and consumption occupied much of peoples time. Cutting down on the amount and types of food freed time for the other works of Lent, almsgiving and prayer.  Food was also scarce, so it made sense at the end of the winter to ration it as people geared up for another growing and harvesting season. Food fasting during Lent made sense socially and economically in an agrarian society.  Today fasting from food frees up little time or money to do other things.

4. One important insight about time usage is our ability to accomplish many things through the use of small amounts of time.  One of my graduate mentors, Bob Boice, made a career of advising professors to increase both their publication rates as well as the quality of their teaching by focusing upon using small amounts of time (fifteen minutes here and there) rather than setting aside large time intervals, e.g. several hours (most of which ends up being wasted). He has many gems of advice about how to do this.

5. In my post I used the above insights to advocate the personal praying of the Divine Office (aka the Liturgy of the Hours). There are now a variety of resources on the internet for doing this that could be used in small pieces of time. Recorded choral forms of Evening Prayer lasting for about thirty or forty minutes and spoked forms that last ten to twenty minutes are available at the click of a button. Using the pause control can easily distribute them into smaller units.  Spread over time it eventually accumulates. Robert Taft, my mentor on the Liturgy of the Hours, claimed the basic idea behind the Divine Office is to “pray always.”  Technology has made that easier.

14 comments:

  1. Fast from TV? How would I get my daily …. nay, hourly ….. Trumputin fix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that thoughtful post, Jack. I like the idea of time as our primary resource.

    I routinely unsubscribe from Prime and Netflix during Lent and Advent (The "other" penitential season). It saves a few bucks, but forces me to do other things with that time and money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just as hard, maybe harder, to fast from one's smart phone....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in 2011 when I did the original post, smart phones were not a part of my life. I do have an iPhone now, but I use it as a portable computer rather than a two way communication device. It is there as a one way device in case of emergency.

      I do know people who are always on their smart phones, and even then substitute text messages for phone conversations. I have an old fashioned land line with answering machine. I tell people to call and leave a message if they want to get in touch with me quickly and need a personal conversation, e.g. within several hours. Otherwise I recommend they e-mail me for a response within about 12 hours. People who are with me in my house are surprised that I never answer the phone unless the caller id tells me it is someone who I want to talk to immediately. The rest can leave a message.

      So I use both older and new technologies but very selectively. That includes this technology of the blog. I usually look at this blog about twice a day. I am the contact person for the local Commonweal community here in Cleveland. I have put out a one way blog there to provide everybody with all the information about meetings as well as a public record of our activity. I still use e-mail with the community to link them to the blog information as well as two way conversations of upcoming meetings.

      Delete
    2. Good to see you posting here!

      Delete
  4. I remember one year my older sister gave up television for Lent (she was probably about 12 or 13 at the time), and some teen heartthrob singer she was desperate to see was appearing on television (possibly The Ed Sullivan Show). So she stood in the door to the tv room with her back to the set and looked over her shoulder using a mirror. Apparently, if you don't look directly at the set, it is not really "watching."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! One of my Catholic girlfriends in junior high gave up buying ice cream bars for herself at lunch. After a week, she gave me a quarter and asked me to buy them for her because then it was a gift and it would be rude to decline.

      Delete
    2. David and Jean, I love both those stories :-)

      Delete
    3. I think there's something quintessentially Catholic about making rules and then looking for loopholes.

      After I had a tubal ligation and quit going to communion, I heard endless rationalizations from other middle-aged Catholic women who explained why they continued to receive after their tubals.

      Delete
  5. An inventory of time is an excellent way to start Lent. TV is not a particular time waster for me. My wife and I watch network news while having dinner and an old M*A*S*H to let it settle before I go out and clean up the mess I made in the kitchen. So that's an hour. We don't get PBS anymore. They "rescanned" our aerial off their station and seem to feel pretty good about it. So it's just an hour a day, and maybe an English Premier League game on Saturday afternoon. I waste much more time doing what I am doing now.

    I don't get the point of breaking up the Liturgy of the Hours. It takes me so long to get ready to do the part of it I do that doing it in bits and pieces would become a time killer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It takes me so long to get ready to do the part of it I do that doing it in bits and pieces would become a time killer."

    Sounds like you are using an old fashioned breviary with ribbons. I abandoned that a long time ago. There are websites and apps that do all that for you for the Roman Rite. You can get it either as a text or as a audio recitation.

    I am very Ecumenical in my choice of office. For example there is a traditional monastery in Europe that still does the old Monastic Office in Latin and archives it. So anytime after about noon our time I can listen to Latin Vespers just as if I was back at Saint John's Collegeville during Vatican II. I have a copy of the Monastic Antiphonal just like the one I used then. I can pause the music on my computer, or I can play it in the background. Sometimes I play it twice. The first time to get into the mood while I am doing other things, the second to sit down with the Monastic Antiphonal.

    I am very fortunate to have an Orthodox parish within a mile. They have Vespers every Saturday evening and every evening before major feasts such as Christmas, Theophany, Candlemas, etc. During Lent they do the Great Canon of Repentance as part of Great Compline during the weekdays of the First Week. Also every Wednesday they have a combination of Vespers, Readings, and a Communion service that is called the Liturgy of the Presanctified. Our Good Friday service is only example in the Roman Rite. Don't have a convenient Orthodox parish. All of this is out there on YouTube as recordings. Again there is the ability to schedule the service at my convenience and the use of the pause and repeat controls. If you like participation in live remote liturgies, an Orthodox monastery in PA broadcasts it live on YouTube as well as archiving it.

    Saint Thomas in New York with their choir school does Vespers several times a week in both live and archive modes.

    Decades ago I began collecting liturgical music from all these traditions, and spent a lot of time putting music and text together. But even then I had fantasies of when the internet would make a wide variety of liturgical traditions available to me to choose from each day. That day has come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A close friend is Greek Orthodox. Every year she abstains from meat during Lent and fasts on Wednesdays and Fridays (one real meal). One year I decided to emulate the abstention from meat part and did not eat meat for the entire period. It turns out it was all too easy for me to do. I basically eat vegetarian (not vegan) most of the time anyway. Since I am the shopper and cook, I allow my husband some animal protein, but not a lot of that. I often eat just the veggies and salad.

    Like Tom, we don't watch a lot of TV, but unlike Tom, a lot of what we do watch is PBS. We donate to PBS each year which allows us to stream some of their shows (minimum donation of $60/year). Probably 1-2 hours/day depending on what PBS is offering. Almost never watch movies - in theaters or on Netflix.

    I am not addicted to my phone but use it a lot to text because of my severe hearing loss. Have new hearing aids now - another $5K out the door since Medicare doesn't cover - but the phone streams to the aids now, which makes telephone conversations a whole lot easier.

    I am addicted to the internet though - read too many online publications such as WaPo, NYTimes, Times of London, The Guardian, this site, several other religious sites (Sojourners, Christian Century, National Catholic Reporter), and whatever looks interesting on my google news feed.

    I have been working very hard to stop reading the non-stop barrage of upsetting Trump stories, or stories about the rise of the far right in Europe also.

    I am trying to be more intentional about centering prayer this Lent, not skip days. So I read a meditation from Merton's New Seeds of Contemplation or Thoughts in Solitude or a Joan Chittister book of reflection. CP is the only form of prayer that affects me. Most rote prayers, including liturgy, seem empty.

    With CP I begin to feel God's presence, and begin to believe a little again, that maybe there is a God who is love, and not just an unfathomable(to finite human minds) intelligence that created the universe and then left us to make the best (or worst) of it

    ReplyDelete
  8. My television watching yesterday consisted of a period or so of a hockey game (after a stressful day of work, making dinner for the family, rushing off to a wake service, and then an Outreach meeting at the parish), an episode of "The Good Doctor" (during which I folded laundry), and the evening news, which was on while I was bustling around in the kitchen doing clean-up.

    Television plays the following roles in my life:

    1. Information - certainly including news broadcasts (of which I tend to consume no more than a half hour per day), and more broadly helping me be aware of what is going on in the world. Even advertising has an information-conveyance function.

    2. Relaxation - My life is pretty stressful, and oftentimes I hit a point in the evening where all I can do is sink into a chair and do something not very energetic. I usually need about an hour of this. I don't have to do this by watching television, but television serves this purpose reasonably well, especially if I'm thoughtful about what I watch. Typically I watch an episode of a television show at this time with my wife - usually it's something we've recorded. So it's actually a form of "together time"

    3. Edification - Apparently, many critics believe that this is a Golden Age of television, with high-quality offerings available. Some thoughtful people believe that television at its best is of higher quality than the state of films today. It's at least arguable that spending time watching excellent television is time as well-spent as the same time spent reading a book, taking in a movie at a local movie theater or attending a performance of live theater.

    4. Entertainment. I like sports.

    5. Wasting time. I've spent a lot of hours at various periods of my life in front of the television, when I had more hours on my hand than things to do. My life happens to run in the opposite direction nowadays, so I don't really waste much time in front of the television.

    On the whole, I could justify fasting from 4. and 5. I don't think there is much spiritual value in fasting from 1., 2. and 3.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read a disturbing article about the effect on middle school children of having a smart phone. Turns out there is an epidemic of depression and anxiety caused by the constant connection and bullying which can take place without adults knowing about it. My 10 year old granddaughter want a smart phone. Her parents are aware of the problems and have resisted giving in about it. They have discussed letting her have a prepaid flip phone to communicate with them about school activities and early dismissals. That seems like a good compromise.
    The issue doesn't seem to be on the two younger girls' radar yet. We gave the 5 year old a fake plastic phone with a pink purse (on her Christmas wish list) which she carries everywhere. She's more interested in it as a fashion accessory than a communication device.

    ReplyDelete