Friday, June 1, 2018

Can post but not comment

OK, I can post, but I can't comment.  I tried to comment on my Trouble signing in  post.  ??????

So strange. I am signed in with the gmail account I created for this site, because I thought that we couldn't use yahoo.

My name does not appear on the blue bar. I can post and edit, but not comment.

Until I can figure this out, I will comment here to Margaret.  I had written it in  a comment this morning - that's when I discovered it wouldn't accept my comment and the profiles don't include my gmail account. Yet I can post and edit.  The mysteries.....

I suspect the yoiung adults who retirned to Ireland to vote are not dual passport holders, but do live and work in the UK or the EU. I know from my French daughter-in-law and her family and friends that the young adults move quite freely throughout the EU for jobs, education etc, because they don't have the hassles of sponsorship for visas and work permits.  Irish heritage people who were born in another country can get an Irish passport, but only if either one of their parents or one of their grandparents were born in Ireland. Since the big migration to the US and Australia and the UK occurred in the mid-19th century, most of we "Irish Americans" etc are not eligible.

Second - Phonak. Supposed to be the best for severe-profound high frequency loss and I will be trying those out as my next pair.  Costco carries them (one generation behind usually) and AARP has discounts if you use an affiliated audiologist. 

8 comments:

  1. Do you use your gmail account for anything other than this blog. My experience is different from other users since I am the administrator, which paradoxically gets in the way of providing technical support. But I think it may be important to be permanently logged in to your gmail account (for actually sending and receiving gmail) so that your browser remembers who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I post and comment while signed into my Yahoo account. If I am on my Gmail account, I can't post. You can tell which you're logged in as by look at the the top right, blue bar, where your email is posted.

    Click Sign Out and re-enter air you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, You are on the list on the right of this page, which I would think means full access. I had to get a new Gmail address just for this blog because I couldn't make it believe the one I usually use. Can it be that you signed out (below the comment box) as a commenter and need to sign in again? Is your name in the "Comment as": box? We need you.

    Of course, you could Post all your comments...

    Re the American Irish voting at home: I have heard that if ICE wants to look, it can deport a heck of a lot of New York and Boston Irish who just sort of came and joined the police force or got elected mayor or whatever and never got around to becoming authorized, bonafide citizens under Trumpian rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm told that big chunks of my family crossed the river from Windsor into Detroit. For all I know, they swam it, or stowed away on someone's fishing boat. ICE could have a field day with us. How many generations have to go by before one loses Dreamer status? I did have some weird dreams last night, but don't tell Immigration. Maybe the northern border can be our next Wall project.

      Delete
    2. Mine sneaked in from Montreal, to the Upper Peninsula, and down into the "Irish counties" of Michigan--Clare, Roscommon, etc. I've seen the census records. They lied about where they were born. But not sure they needed to, as a) they spoke English and b) the census takers were likely Irish.

      Delete
    3. You'll notice there are a lot of companies that will tell you your ancestry, but nobody is in the business of helping you find your immigration status. What you don't know can't deport you.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try this again. Phonak makes a blue-tooth device that can be used with hearing aids: Phonak ComPilot Air II. I got mine through the VA and I think that they retail for about $325. Mine has 3 features: when my cellphone rights it rings in my hearing aids and the small device that I wear on a lanyard around my neck (can also be clipped to a shirt/blouse)acts as a microphone. The 2nd feature is a means of helping mitigate ambient noise (like what is particularly annoying when riding in a car) and apparently focuses the hearing aids' sound receptors more directly forward. 3rd feature: evidently some concert halls/movie theatres/churches/large meeting places have a "loop" device that can be detected by feature #3 and make the sounds more available to the wearer. I really like mine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

    ReplyDelete