Monday, April 23, 2018

Requiescat in pace, retail clothes shopping

Bon-Ton Stores, a holding company for department store chains Bergner's, Bon-Ton, Boston Store, Carson's, Elder-Beerman, Herberger's and Younkers, together consisting of about 250 department stores, has sold its assets to two liquidation firms.  All of these department stores will close down over the coming weeks, leaving cavernous holes in suburban malls across the Midwest and Northeast.

Throughout most of my adult life in the Chicago area, one of those Bon-Ton Stores chains, Carson's, competed with Marshall Field's for the title of leading department store in the region.  Both had multistory flagship stores along the city's State Street retail district.  When I got my first real corporate job and needed a wardrobe, I bought my suits, neckties and dress shirts at Carson's, where a suit salesman helped me pick things out, and an in-house tailor ensured that whatever I purchased had at least a semblance of fit.  And when my wife found it impossible to step back into her IT career when she had stepped out for 10 or so years to be a full-time mom and housewife, she sold women's shoes at Carson's for a few years before getting back into the corporate world.

But my adult life also has been, on the whole, a time of department store decline.  Marshall Field's nameplate disappeared about a decade ago when it was sold to Federated Department Stores, which turned the remaining Field's stores into Macy's stores.  Carson's State Street location closed a few years ago.  And now Macy's has announced that it is giving up the top six floors of the former Marshall Field's iconic State Street flagship space.  And the list of local department stores that are no more lengthens with the passage of years - we'd start with Montgomery Ward, and add on Wieboldt's and Goldblatt's, and I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of.  Sears is still around but maybe not for much longer.  There also are JCPenney stores throughout the Midwest, but that chain also is said to be practically on life support.

My life has been long enough now to have passed through at least a couple of generations of clothing retailing.  In the smallish city in Michigan where I grew up, the traditional downtown area was still the main retail magnet when I was a tot.  There was a lot of foot traffic on the downtown streets, and the city buses were crowded, bringing people to and from the city center.  The downtown retail district was anchored by two department stores, neither of which was  a chain, and also featured several restaurants, a couple of movie theaters and several square blocks of other shopfronts, as well as the train station that was the town's main transportation hub.  This was in a city with a population of about 50,000.

 But by then, in the mid to late 1960s, the seeds of future destruction of downtown retailing already had been planted: a new Kmart had opened on the east end of town, while a retail plaza - not quite a fully fledged shopping mall, and more resembling what we'd call today a good-sized strip mall, anchored by an A&P, a Kroger, an SS Kresge's and a Woolworth's - had opened on the western edge.  The latter development expanded a few years later when a standalone Sears store was built across the parking lot, followed across the street by what passed for a movie theater multiplex in those days - I believe it had three screens in the same building, an innovation that generated oohs and aahs.  A few years after that a proper indoor mall opened, across the street from the city limits, with an anchor department store, various smaller clothing chain stores, an Orange Julius and  4-5 movie theaters, all under the same roof and surrounded by a few acres of parking lots.

In the years that followed, Target and Walmart, as well as Meijer's, a regional chain that was like Target and Walmart with groceries, all planted themselves around the periphery of the city, and remain there today.

All this sounded the death knell of the downtown area - and to some extent, of the town as a functional entity.  While it would be an exaggeration to say that tumbleweeds blow down the downtown streets these days, it's not too far from the truth.  Just about everything I listed about the downtown retail district is gone now.  The train station is still there and is still an Amtrak stop but like intercity train travel in general, it's just a ghost of its former self now.  The department stores, and most of the other retail shops, are long gone.

 The newer retail developments that killed the downtown area chased the housing patterns, in which the middle class and upper middle class residents who didn't flee the entire region, at least fled the city limits for newer, bigger housing stock with bigger yards, lower taxes, safer neighborhoods and schools with fewer issues.   The malls and big discount retailers were newer and bigger, too, and considerably closer, parking was free, and they were warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

My personal observation is that shopping became less democratic when the downtown areas died.  The bankers and factory owners used to shop in the same department stores as the bank clerks and factory workers, and the worker might be behind the owner in the ticket line at the downtown movie palace.  For that matter, they might have worshiped at the same downtown churches.   And they might have waited side by side at the downtown bus stops, or before that, streetcar stops.  These days the buses don't run nearly as often, and the routes don't extend to the subdivisions where the owners and executives live.

This post is filled with store nameplates and other items that have virtually disappeared.  It's been decades since I've been inside a Woolworth's or an A&P, or a Montgomery Ward store. Or rode an Amtrak train.  Or gone to a downtown movie theater.  For that matter, I haven't purchased a suit in more than a decade.  Not that I need one: a few years ago, my employer closed the office where I worked.  Which was kind of okay, because some years before that, I had basically stopped going into the office.  All I need to do my job is a notebook computer, a headset and an Internet connection, and I don't collaborate at work with anyone who lives within a hundred miles of me.  Many of my coworkers are across an ocean, or even more than one.  Even former work-related habits like showering and shaving every morning have fallen by the wayside; why spend precious morning time in the shower if I can hop online a few minutes earlier in the day and catch the co-workers and business partners who are in Europe or Asia before they sign off?  It's not like anyone is going to be close enough to smell me.  A lot of days, I don't shower until before dinner.  As for the idea of tying a necktie before I start my workday: it's laughable.  I just wear whatever: jeans or dockers in the winter, shorts and a tee shirt in the summer.

These changing personal habits and patterns of daily life are bad news for shopping malls, which are anchored by department stores.  The men's departments of department stores, with their rows of suits, their stacks of dress shirts and their table displays of neckties, don't cater to my lifestyle.  Department stores want to sell high volumes of fashionable clothes to thin people.  I have very few fashion requirements and I'm not thin (or young).  If malls killed downtowns, it's entirely possible that I, and people like me, are killing malls.

I will say this for  traditional shopping: it was social.  It was a way for my wife and me (and the kids, when they were too young to leave at home by themselves) to get out of the house and do something together.  But the advent of Amazon and the zillions of other options for online shopping means I don't even need to leave my chair.  Online shopping also has put financial pressure on a traditional retail business sector that already was eking out its existence on tiny margins.  Crucially, the online stores often have been able to avoid sales taxes, which are important revenue generators for many municipalities and counties.

Downtown retail commerce was one of the building blocks of community.  Mall shopping was probably less so, but at least it was social in nature.  Today's shopping, via the web, is utterly solitary.  Perhaps it's saving us some money, but I think we've lost a lot.

So retail establishments and I live on different planets.  I wish there was a clothing store that was convenient and sold what I actually need: casual, comfortable, affordable clothes in colors and patterns that I like and that fit my non-fashionable body.  I don't love online shopping, either: I hate to buy any clothing item without being able to try it on.  So I basically have few or no clothes shopping options, and the social and communal benefits of retail shopping are dying out.  Whatever it is that we've wrought, it's not working for me.

19 comments:

  1. I hear you, Jim. Shopping online for clothes isn't very satisfactory because of the lack of uniformity in sizes. Here we still have a Christopher and Banks, which is where I get most of my clothes. Mother's Day is coming up, forget the knick nacks and coffee mugs, just give me C & B gift cards. Or Amazon, for non clothes items. I hate Amazon. I love Amazon. Some states, including ours, are pushing back about online sales losing them sales tax revenue. Amazon now has to collect sales tax on non-food items sold here, which I feel is only fair.
    Agree about the loss of downtown retail causing a loss of a sense of community. I also regret the dying of the big indoor malls as the next tier of shopping. Even mid sized towns had them. They were nice in both cold and hot weather. It seems like the 1980s were their heyday. I remember them as family entertainment, too. The little kids liked Toys R Us, the big kids liked the video arcades. You could give tweens some money and keep them occupied in the arcade while mom and dad did their shopping. I know, I'm confessing to being a bad parent. We let them eat Happy Meals too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - I don't think you're a bad parent for granting your kids some appropriate autonomy. Most of us don't shop strictly for idle amusement - we're at the mall because we need something. If your kids are old enough to be let off the leash in a video arcade, I see nothing wrong with that. I'm glad you weren't a helicopter parent :-).

      Our local mall has a Lego Store. When our kids were in the right age range, that store was a must-stop on every mall trip. We were on the Lego catalog mailing list, and the kids (both boys and girls) would page through the catalog, studying the model kits that were available. Then they'd go to the Lego store, see the same products actually on the shelf, and go bananas. It made birthday and Christmas gift shopping really easy for a few years.

      I'm at the point, too, where all I really want as gifts are gift cards. I have a Barnes and Noble Nook ereader, and so Barnes and Noble gift cards are always welcome here. Ironically, and to the point of the post, the Barnes and Noble retail stores have pulled out of our town. We don't have a new-book bookstore within easy driving distance anymore. Any books I read, I either download and read electronically, or check out from the library. If I want to buy a book as a gift, I surf Amazon.

      Delete
  2. Funny you should mention the situation. Just yesterday I was talking about the loss of mall anchors with my son the alderman in a Milwaukee suburb. All I could tell him is that converting the mall to a medical center seems to have more promise than converting it to a restaurant row. He said the taxpayers are going to have to make up for the lost taxes either way, and they will blame the aldermen, not Amazon or their own changing habits.

    For better or for worse, no one ever taught me how to shop. And my wife is worse. With me it's always a case of, "All my tee-shirts have holes? Hmm. Better buy some more," or, "that tomato stain won't come out of my tie. Better pop in and buy a new one." My wife lives with holes and stains and doesn't replace anything unless what she has will get her arrested. I usually thought of those famous stores as the advertisers that kept the newspaper healthy, not the source of a "shopping experience." The whole concept of a "shopping experience" sounds depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Mrs. Blackburn, I am going the holes in clothes route. And the life of the hold-ridden can be extended with iron-on tape. Slap it on, hit with hot iron...til death do us part!

      Delete
    2. I'm not a smart shopper, either. I don't enjoy it; it's a chore to trudge from store to store and try things on.

      I have reached the point where I know what I like. It's just hard or impossible to find those things. I'd echo Stanley's point about houses and extend them somewhat to clothing: if there is a particular shirt or pair of pants that I like, it drives me crazy when the manufacturer ceases to offer it for sale. I guess I have to start buying them by the dozen and keeping them in storage for when the one I'm wearing wears out.

      Delete
    3. Jim, is there a Kohl's where you live? That is my husband and sons' go-to place for clothes. They hate trying stuff on too.
      Maybe I won't get holes in my clothes after I'm retired and not working around corrosives anymore.

      Delete
    4. I don't get holes. I specialize in frayed bottoms of pants.

      Delete
    5. Iron-in tape! Wow, that is a blast from the past. I seem to remember it starting to peel off after a lot of launderings, though. I see at one of my textile festivals, a Millennial girl is doing a seminar on how to sew and embroider patches on your clothes to make them look boho chic. I saw examples. She is quite artistic! It was like being back in 1969.

      Delete
    6. There is a secret "Woolworths" where iron-on can be got!

      Delete
    7. It says here that Woolworth's stopped operating under that moniker in 1997, but that the company transformed itself into the Foot Locker chain. Who knew?

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._Woolworth_Company

      My mother referred to both Woolworth's and Kresge's (which was the company out of which Kmart grew) as "dime stores", which apparently was short for "five-and-dime stores". Nowadays, we have dollar stores all over the place, so the concept apparently lives on. Fwiw, our food pantry ministry has a shopper, someone who keeps an eye out for items that we're running low on (usually canned fruit), and buys more. She always goes to the dollar store for that stuff. The retirees in our parish swear by those places.

      Delete
    8. The secret "woolworth" has. right down the street from it. a hardware store just like my childhood hardware store (Lind's on Clark Street, Jim). A common feature of both stores are worn wooden floors..I am of the unconfirmed, unscientific view that they give a mellow tone to the voices and other noises that makes shopping in them a blessed noise reliever (cf. restaurant discussion). Encouraging me to buy extra iron-on tape colors and one more grill brush for my portable Weber.

      Delete
    9. I love worn wooden floors.
      I do a fair amount of shopping at dollar stores. Sometimes small quantities make more sense for empty-nesters like us than a Costco membership.
      When there is a food pantry drive on, there are a lot of low-cost, high nutrition things to be found in the dollar stores.

      Delete
    10. Grill brushes don't actually make it through an entire grilling season, do they? Maybe I have to start buying 2-3 at a time. They sort of disappear from the store shelves after about July.

      I don't know Lind's, Margaret, but I do shop at a family-owned Ace Hardware. Everything is a few pennies more than Home Depot but the service is great. That's one of the things I really miss about shopping. Katherine, you had asked if we have Kohl's stores around here. We do, and I buy a lot of my clothes there. But Kohl's is a zero-service operation; the only thing they'll do for you is ring up the sale. And at the risk of being a snob: if I still bought suits, I wouldn't buy them there. Great for dockers and shirts, though. Always a sale going on, too.

      Delete
  3. Forget AI and Amazon. What would happen to the economy if we only bought what we really needed. And if houses were made durable, lasting hundreds of years instead of needing repairs after 20 years? Keep those advertisements rolling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes yes. Nothing like settling an estate to make you completely unsentimental about people's personal posessions. I am hoping my sister-in-law brings lots of boxes with her.

      Delete
    2. Jean, that sounds like it was after my mother-in-law passed away. She lived through the Depression and was a "saver" in case it happened again. Which I understood, but I always thought, what if hard times did come back, would this junk really help anyone?

      Delete
    3. I think that catalogues and online stores allow the homebound and elderly to indulge in a lot of retail therapy, which bespeaks a lack of human contact and affection, the failure of more spiritual comforts. It is heartbreaking in a way. At least when you shop "live," you are interacting with people and making a day of it.

      Delete
    4. When I had a job and went to work everyday, a certain amount of "dress-up" was required--at least by me. Commonweal was dress-down; but Fordham was not, nor any of the others.

      Now!!! It may be a mixed blessing that I almost never "dress-up." The downside: I haven't bought new such clothes in an age. But that means what I wear are slacks, chinos, pedal pushers!! shorts in warm weather and tea shirts; slacks, long sleeve shirts, and sweaters in cold weather, etc. All of which can be purchased from LL Bean or Lands End. Since I was never a go-shopping fan (due to over-exposure as a kid with my mother, grandmother, and aunt), this is great! Of course, Macy's, Lord & Taylor, etc. are having hard times.. apologies to those who like to shop and try on.

      Delete
    5. Shopping with Gramma was like a death march. Fleece and knit pants 4ever!

      Delete