Saturday, January 27, 2018

Adam, Eve and the Russian bot


Vatican pronouncements on the media exist in a metaphysical world away from the working life of journalists and from the problems within and without the media. The subject of Pope Francis’s World Communications Day message – “fake news” – showed promise, though. I liked his blaming the world’s first fake news on the snake in Genesis, which the Associated Press led with. Paul Moses, in Commonweal, found good things to say about the message, even as he had to identify one shortcoming, about which I agree with him.

On reflection, the message, like its predecessors, won’t do any good. I don’t know how to fix it, either. The problem is that anyone with the will can apply what the pope says about fake news to a story that is reported in the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and several networks. Donald Trump, who claims to have invented the name “fake news” (he didn’t), laid into them again at Davos, and drew a little hissing and booing.

I guess I hoped the pope would say something helpful to mend a rift over fake news that has ended several years of biweekly lunches with a very nice person. I know what he would say about the story about Trump having wanted to fire the special prosecutor last July because we have been there so often before. I’ll tell you after the break.


My ex-friend would say of the stories about Trump wanting to fire Mueller: “(They have) to do with false information based on non-existent or distorted data meant to deceive and manipulate the reader.” Those are Francis’s definition words, and they describe what my ex-friend thinks major media do day in and day out. He is not talking about Breitbart, Fox News or Russian bots. To him they present “the other side,” and truth is somewhere in the middle. Honest.

Francis writes: “The difficulty of unmasking and eliminating fake news is due also to the fact that many people interact in homogeneous digital environments impervious to differing perspectives and opinions.” Exactly, my ex-friend says. I and you (yes, Jim P, even you) and Paul Moses soak up the lies of The Times and only he, by “balancing,” can find the truth. So, as to this story, “What about the secret Nunes memo? Wouldn’t that justify firing Mueller?”

I finally ended our lunches this month because two hours with him on Wednesday was leading to eight hours of work on Thursday to figure out whatinhell he was talking about and sending him mild correctives on stories that come right out of fevered brows of Tea Partiers and other such gullibles. He is, like most biz ad majors, an expert on the media. So during the 2016 campaign he kept telling me how the local paper was slanting its coverage against Trump through headlines, the size of stories, the ledes and the photos. Then for the next few days I had to compare headlines, measure stories, analyze ledes and point out that, once again, there were more photos of Trump (local boy) than of Hillary Clinton.

He would concede for the days reviewed, but go right back to making the bias charge. Finally, I said, “Terry, do you know that you are telling me that 50 years of my life were devoted to lying to and misleading the American people?” And he said he didn’t mean me. It’s all those other people doing what I did; they are the bastards.

He is a nice guy, aside from his toilet politics. He is charitable; he has given people the shirt off his back, and he will spend long hours with people in trouble. We have worked together on spiritual programs in the parish. But I don’t have enough years left to make him realize that there’s bad stuff in his Kool-Aid.

Moses cites a poll that has 51 percent of Americans saying even accurate stories about politicians, if they are negative, can be  “fake news.” Half the country is operating on an instrumentalist definition of news in which truth and accuracy matter only to the extent that they advance an agenda; if the lie works better, believe it.  Nothing the pope says about fake news can help if truth is only an incidental.

5 comments:

  1. Tom, amen. Although I'd like to point out that I'm partially inoculated against the lies, damn lies and statistics that appear in the NY Times by the simple expedient of not subscribing to it. It limits me to 10 free stories per month, which I mostly blow on Ross Douthat columns. I don't think he is a liar, but if he is, they're pretty congenial to my biases, and since he is an editorial writer rather than a news reporter, the standards aren't precisely the same.

    George Will probably doesn't have many die-hard fans here at NewGathering, but I thought his column on "truth decay" from a couple of days ago hit the mark. Here he summuarizes a new report from the Rand Corporation:

    "The authors discern four trends inimical to fact-based discourse and policymaking: increasing disagreement about facts and the interpretation of them (e.g., “The fact that immigrants are actually less likely to commit crimes than people born in the United States”); the blurring of the line between fact and opinion; the increasing quantity of opinion relative to facts; and declining trust in formerly respected sources of factual information. The volume and velocity of the information flow, combined with the new ability to curate à la carte information menus, erode society’s assumption of a shared set of facts. They also deepen the human proclivity for “confirmation bias” and “motivated reasoning” — people inhabiting information silos, seeking and receiving only congenial facts."

    https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2018/01/24/george-f-will-some-policy-dentistry-could-combat-truth-decay/

    FWIW, I do think there is media bias against Donald Trump, but as with me and Ross Douthat, most people find it congenial. I think that experienced, professional reporters and editors are genuinely appalled by the ineptitude, chaos and pure cray-cray emanating from the White House, and that emotion colors what they cover and how they cover it. I also think that, secondarily, as individuals they're also appalled by Trump's key policy positions. I've more or less concluded that the suppliers of our news need to be on guard against this natural tendency and be as objective and even-handed as they can; and we the consumers of their reports need to be on our guard for bias and do our best to filter it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point there at the end. Trump's names for people -- Crooked Hillary, Little Marco, Lyin' Ted, Rocket Man, etc. -- drive me up a wall. Presidents shouldn't talk that way. Plus, it is a playground bully tactic. But I go ahead and refer to him as the pudgy guy with the cheap Chinese-made neckties, which I have never done with any other president, including the Tricky one. Now, I wouldn't do it to him if he didn't do it to others. But he shouldn't do it, so neither should I. Something to work on,

      Delete
  2. I think "fake news" is a brilliant concept because it allows someone crying "fake news" so much weasel room. When Trump or his minions talk about "fake news," they could mean any of the following:

    Outright lies

    Incidents that are selected to make someone look bad or good while ignoring incidents that would balance the picture

    Incidents reported together that suggest but do not demonstrate cause and effect

    Events that are given undue importance or prominence over news that has wider impact

    Incidents that fail to give sufficient context

    Events that are reported accurately but with tonal bias

    All of these meanings are problems the media might be accused of. But Trump seems to think that for every boner he pulls, the press should balance it with something wonderful. He is constantly demanding "equal time." Yet, when he does command attention, he uses his time to bitch about fake news or renew campaign promises instead of heralding all his accomplishments.

    If I were a White House reporter, I would be drinking heavily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has always seemed clear to me that the serpent in the garden told the truth.

    Genesis 3:5 "God knows well that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods, who know good and evil.”

    Genesis 3:22 Then the LORD God said: See! The man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil! Now, what if he also reaches out his hand to take fruit from the tree of life, and eats of it and lives forever?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad when "the bad stuff in the Kool-Aid" comes between good people and strains friendships. But sometimes the barrage is so toxic that the only thing one can do is disengage. I try to disengage from the politics without disengaging from the people. Sometimes that is successful. I block all the "shares" on my Facebook feed from sites that are biased and ignorant, without blocking the people. I've blocked most of the offensive ones, and I can still find out about my cousin's new grandchild, and pray for my high school friend's husband's successful surgery. I can say to the hair stylist lady who is channeling Fox News as she cuts my hair, "Sorry, but I really don't like to discuss politics. How are your grandkids doing?" At work when the toxic b.s. gets pretty deep, I can look at my watch and say, "Well, got to move right along." It doesn't always work, but I'm getting better at it, and makes for a more peaceful frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete