Sunday, December 24, 2017

May hope be with you

Stop me if you've heard this one before: a plucky girl is chosen from the backwater of an empire to fulfill a great destiny.







George Lucas, and now Disney, have rounded out the Star Wars galaxy by including a religious dimension in their world.  Not that it's a real religion.  But it's not entirely original, either.  The Force seems to be the product of a jin of Eastern mysticism and a dollop of New Age bejabber, perhaps with a parsec or so of Newtonian physics swizzled in.  And maybe a pint or two of Harry Potter's wizardry world.

But it seems fair to say that Christianity has made a contribution to the Force as well.  And it's on - if you'll forgive me - forceful display in the latest installment of the Star Wars franchise, "The Last Jedi."

I am sorry it was released so late into Advent.  Because, in my estimation, it makes for terrific Advent viewing.  Not because of the light sabers and blasters and X-wing fighters and all that typical Star Wars techno-geek stuff.  The current film is crammed full of that sort of thing, and if that's what you like, it's definitely worth seeing, but I don't find spiritual edification in technology.  Nor am I recommending it in particular because of the courage of the protagonists, another Star Wars staple, although courage is a fine virtue in the Christian tradition, and it does bring us a good deal closer to our Advent mark.

I'm recommending the film because it's a paean to hope.  Actually,  the last two releases (which, to those not initiated in the franchise, are not in sequential plot order) have featured the virtue of hope.  And to contemplate hope is to spend time well during Advent.

In our prosperous and satiated culture, it's not easy to grasp what spiritual hope really is, and so it is helpful that this film, and the one before it,  "Rogue One", illustrate hope pretty memorably.  We tend to use the word "hope" when stating a wish to have one of our desires fulfilled, as in, "I hope I get the promotion", or "I hope I get a new game system for Christmas."

I don't wish to give away too much of the plot of the newest film, except to note that the situation is desperate throughout.  And hope, while perhaps not born directly of desperation, is a response we can make to desperate circumstances.  Hope of this sort may not be native to us; indeed the Catechism of the Catholic Church notes that spiritual hope relies on the grace of the Holy Spirit (CCC 1817).  I think many of us find despair and cynicism more conducive.  Hope seems to be rooted in knowledge or promises received from the past, and points us to a better, more just future.  Characters cling to hope in this newest Star Wars film, not least because it's all they have.  And hope often appears too a slender reed.

In the Gospel passage for this Fourth Sunday of Advent, Mary gives her remarkable response to the angel Gabriel's remarkable announcement.  This Galilean girl never ceases to fill us with wonder, does she, with her assent?  If I were in her place, I'd struggle to get past, "There's a strange man in my room."  And her "May it be done to me according to your word" is just so imprudent.  Nothing would be easier than saying, "Uh, no thanks.  I'd rather marry the carpenter.  I'd rather not be shunned or banned or worse.  I'd rather not be a single mom."  That would have been prudent.  But hope often is opposed to prudence.  Hope leads us to take risks, on behalf of something larger than ourselves.  We know that we may not live to see hope's fulfillment.  That's part of hope, too - that we believe in a cause that's greater than our own comfort, our own skin.




Jesus used the phrase "Be not afraid" pretty frequently in the Gospels.  Be not afraid.  Don't be prudent.  Prudence is the path to extending the desperation of your circumstances.  Choose hope instead.  Take risks for the sake of something greater.  Don't listen to your prudent, self-interested heart.  Listen to the angels instead.


21 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I can still remember seeing the very first movie (A New Hope) :) back in 1977 with my sister and my boyfriend. Have been a fan ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing it with my brother. Talking about having seen the original theatrical release in class may have been the only time my students really paid attention. I explained that, to our generation, Darth Vader sounded like he was in an iron lung, which clued us into the fact that he was very sick, and had scary reverbs for those of us who grew up at the end of the polio epidemic. This led to several students doing research papers on polio, the iron lung, and the Sabin and Salk vaccines. Good papers, too. Thank you, George Lucas.

      Delete
    2. Being old has its perks - we can remember obsolete diseases :)

      Delete
  2. "When prudence shall be everywhere, then fortitude will no longer be anywhere. We shall die of prudence, you'll see."-- Cardinal Louis Pie (1815-1880)

    I wish you all a happy Christmas, and, for Jim, a day of rest on Tuesday after the exertions of the next 48 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom that is a great quote. I have never heard of Cardinal Pie, but I shall pronounce his last name in the spirit of apple, rhubarb and mincemeat, and name shall be added to my pantheon of favorite Cardinal names alongside Cardinal Sin's.

      Many thanks for the restful wishes. I need rest. I've been burning the candle at both ends. This week is my week to be a bum.

      Love and prayers to you and to all the NewGathering gang.

      Delete
  3. Yes, a restful Tuesday to all those in holy orders. And to those in unholy disorder, those who are organizing multiple meals, desserts, cleaning up the house, and packing things up for travel. Those whose work is often taken for granted. Take a moment, ladies, breathe deeply, and say a quick prayer to St. Martha. We work this minor miracle every year. And we don't need no stinking light sabers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unholy disorder; that would be me. Fortunately we aren't having our family Christmas until Dec. 30, so the meal prep tomorrow will be pretty low key. Basically just stick a roast in the oven. And try not to keep nibbling on the candy I made a couple of days ago.

      Delete
    2. I have all the goodies hidden, but the sad part is that I know where they are ...

      Delete
    3. As folks get to see the film, I hope they'll post their reviews, either here or in separate posts. I really look forward to hearing what people think. Personally, I think the character of Rey is a brilliant addition to the constellation of Star Wars heroes. And I give the young actor, Daisy Ridley, a lot of credit. I think she's outstanding.

      There is an interesting segment of the film regarding a codebreaker. That's all I'm going to say for now.

      Delete
  4. A modest proposal: Make Advent four full weeks. Make December 25 a Sunday (wave the magic wand).

    Liturgical chaos...
    Sunday: 11 Am (English) followed by 12:30 (Spanish) for 4th Sunday of Advent (under-attended). 5PM Vigil Mass for Christmas (English).
    Monday: 12 Midnight Mass (bilingual). 11 Am (English) 12:30 Spanish.
    Assumes folks will go to all requisite liturgies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amused at the Facebook post by our archdiocese about the possible Mass combinations. Basically it was "pick one from column A, and one from column B". Column A being the 4th Sunday of Advent liturgies, and Column B being Christmas or Christmas eve. And no, you don't get to pick just one.

      Delete
    2. We went this morning and will go again tomorrow morning.

      The Church ladies, bless them, have decorating the church down to a science. As soon as Mass was done this morning, they were moving things around so it would look completely different by 3 p.m. when the kids came in to run through their children's Mass for Christmas. Then they'll need to tidy after the bedlam that is the children's Mass so that things look nice for midnight Mass. And some of them are hosting large families tomorrow. May the Force be with them!

      I begged off to come home and cook Raber's birthday dinner. Then up tomorrow to tote a meal to my mother's.

      Weather driving advisories are out eight now, so The Boy and Girl will not be with us. But better a postponement that worrying about them sliding around roads in that dinky Ford Focus.

      I am looking forward to Tuesday!

      Delete
    3. Jean, your husband's birthday is today? One of my sister's is, also. Be safe if you're driving tomorrow.

      Delete
    4. Peggy, I know - Advent was really condensed this year. It's gone already :-)

      Merry Christmas, everyone. I'm so grateful for everyone here. Please know that a number of you are in my prayers as well.

      Delete
    5. Katherine, yes, The Boy's birthday is December 15, and Raber's is the 24th. Next year they get a joint celebration early in December, and that's them done. No driving today. We got about four inches last night and this morning. Not a lot, but blowing and drifting advisories on secondary roads, which is the only way to my mother's. Chatted with her this morning via phone. Now just trimming the fake tree after exchanging banter, news, and goodies with Across the Street. Their kids don't come home until just before New Year, so it's an unexpectedly low-key and cozy day.

      Delete
  5. We're going to see "The Last Jedi" on New Year's Day. It's kind of a tradition of ours, to go to a movie on New Years. Besides, I owe my husband a movie of his choice, since I dragged him to "The Glass Castle" (he's long-suffering). I get a chuckle out of our oldest granddaughter, who is nine. She is a dyed in the wool Star Wars fan. She's already seen "The Last Jedi". She inherited our son's old Millennium Falcon, which was languishing on a closet shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, that sounds fun. I'm glad the Millennium Falcon found a new pilot! I saved all the Thomas the Tank Engines in case there is ever another Boy (or Girl) who wants to love them.

      Delete
  6. I grew up in southern California, where many people have associations with the big hometown industry, movies and TV. Many years ago, actually decades ago, I was maid of honor for a college roommate. Her husband's best man was a friend from childhood, all the way through to being college roommates. I am 5' 7", and the best man was shorter than I am, especially in heels. I remembered that, and that his name was George. But it was MANY years before I made the connection that George the best man was George Lucas - THE George Lucas. Some years after my sons had become Star Wars fans, I was talking to my friend on the phone. She lives in a different part of the country than I do (now), and she mentioned something about going to Skywalker Ranch for a party. I asked her how they had been invited and she was a bit surprised that I had never realized that her husband's lifelong friend George was that George. At the time of their wedding, he hadn't yet made his big breakthrough movie. That movie was American Graffiti (which I have yet to see). It is a fictionalized autobiographical account of the coming of age years of George Lucas and his friends (including my friend's husband), growing up in Modesto, CA, far from the bright lights and "glamour" of Hollywood.

    I have never seen the prequels and subsequent Star Wars films, but did enjoy the Indiana Jones series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Anne, who would have known! Sometime check out American Graffiti, it was funny (and a little sad). I have seen all the Star Wars movies, but none of the Indiana Jones. Everyone says they're good; I'll have to watch them when I have time.
      It's funny, our archbishop's name is George Lucas. He gets plenty of "May the Force be with you1"

      Delete
    2. Anne, I do hope you get to see American Graffiti. I haven't seen it in a long time, either.

      George Lucas wanted Chicago to build an art museum along the lakefront in Chicago to house his art collection. It would be sort of his contribution to Chicago civic life. Building the museum would have meant taking a big bite out of public parkland. A small, privately funded group called Friends of the Park successfully sued to halt the plans. A number of alternative sites were proposed that would have given tourists easy access and wouldn't have meant taking a bite out of precious lakefront green space, but Lucas basically stomped off in a snit - took his ball and went home. It seems many Chicagoans had the misimpression that the proposed Lucas museum would have a lot of memorabilia from his movies, but appearently its primary purpose would be to make his private art collection available for public display.

      Delete
  7. I am going to try to find American Graffiti on one of the streaming services. It's time I see it!

    I think you might enjoy the Indian Jones series, especially the acting chemistry between Hans Solo and James Bond (Harrison Ford and Sean Connery). I wasn't crazy about the one about the Temple of Doom, but I enjoyed the others quite a bit as I recall when I watched them with our kids.

    ReplyDelete